Couch to 5K (week 1)

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Max - I'm with you. I'd like to get my time down in the spring. Swim season will be over and I'll have a lot more time then.

Great job Sue and Amanda. If I can do this, you can definitely do it. Good luck!

YEA Mango and Sundisgurl. You rock!

IFitbot - have no pointers on how to improve time. Time is what I need to work on the most. Hopefully someone else can help both of us.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Signed up for my next race in March 2011. Also starting the couch to 10K. Good luck to all.
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    way to go Mango!

I've run/walked a few 5K's now and am starting my half-marathon training! Fitbot--my time is slower than yours--about 36 minutes for a 5K but I do have an idea on improving your time. I recently read Jeff Galloway's book: Half Marathon, You Can Do It and he has several pointers on improving time. I have noticed that mine has just improved with regular training.

Jeff's plan: run/walk 30 min twice a week (fun run--no "huffing and puffing") and then do a longer run on the weekends. I did 5 miles last Saturday and Wednesday did about that since I'm doing an organized run this Saturday that is "only" a 5K (about 30 min).

I love doing organized runs because of the people I see and interact with--makes it more fun--but the distances aren't going to be long enough to meet my half-marathon goals. I AM going to run occasionally with a group though. If you have a running shoe store nearby, they probably have groups that go out together. The one I'm planning to be with does an 8-mile run on Saturdays, but I'm going to be cutting mine short for awhile until I build up to that. Jeff Galloway says that you lose 10% of your workout if you use a treadmill, but I know that I will have to do that on some days.

My half-marathon isn't until the end of March but it will take me that long to train (I'm 42 and have rheumatoid arthritis, am still overweight--although I'm down 85 lbs, and have lower back and knee issues). Most training groups here start in January, but I need the extra time.

Good luck everyone!
    Sorry about the novel! I haven't been on here in awhile :).
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    After all that, I just realized that I didnt specify that Jeff Galloway has specific training ideas in his books that are too detailed for me to put down here. The books are fairly inexpensive on half.com or amazon used. Truthfully, my goal isn't going to be improving time (although I've noticed mine improving, like I said, with regular training) but to finish in an upright position, with a smile on my face, wanting to do it again (another Jeff idea).

Hope this helps.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    ljc, ya the time is mad tough!!!! i had a run last week where i was like. OK I AM DEFFO improving by a lot this run, so I made my sprinting intervals 90 seconds instead of 60, which hurt... and at the end of the run i was only 1 min better.!!!!!!
    waaaaaah :(
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Did week six day two today and I was comfortable. Looking at day 3 has me a bit worried; running for 25 minutes.

I hope I surprise myself on Sunday as I did when the 20 minute run comes. Having trouble getting rid of my "slow fat kid" self image.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Finished week 7 today. Week 8 is just a 3 minute increase and week 9 is just 2 minutes more that that.

I'm actually going to finish this thing!!!!

Ya hoo!
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    Finally all moved in, unpacked and can get back to my "normal life." I ran my first 5K on November 13th in a time of 27:47...and this time I actually ran the whole way...FIRST time ever (and I actually ran X-C in high school). I was so happy, my mom was even down to watch the kids and cheer me on! Glad to see everyone is doing well. My next road race is December 4th...I may or may not have to push the double jogger, but either way, I am excited!
  • laurzishot
    Options
    Starting this program on Monday and can't wait!! I used to run and win ribbons in primary school but once i got to high school i stopped so i'm looking forward to being able to run again and can't wait for week 1 day 1 :)
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Dothompson - YEA! You can do it. Do you have a 5K lined up?

JPotvin - I'm glad you got everything settled before all the holidays. That is stressful enough. Good luck on the run in December.

Laurzishot - C25K is a great program. Just follow the weeks and it really does work.

I'm going to have to take the winter months off of running, however, I've been walking at lunch. It's too dark before and after work, but I've found there is a trail on campus and I can do 2.25 miles in 45 minutes. It really is nice to get away from everything for just 45 minutes.

Once spring rolls around, I'm going back to running. Now that I know I can do a 5K, I'm going to work on speed.
  • laurzishot
    Options
    ljc1057 - Thanks!

I just did W1 D1 today, it was a bit harder than i thought it would be, I was a bit puffed and was finding it a bit hard to push through but I did it so I'm glad that I didn't just give in and blow it off. Can't wait to do W1 D2 and hoping that it will slowly get easier :P