WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Morning ..just...All,

:flowerforyou: Nearly the weekend!. Anyone doing amazing things?

Same old, same old for us I think. No...family here for lunch on Sunday...:noway: .almost forgot! DH did the shopping yesterday, hope he got something nice.
    Yesterday I was our for lunch and then came home and had tea. Guess what ? :sad: Scales were up ....fancy that!!!
    A quick drop in today as we're awaiting the "Vampires" to come and do mum's blood tests.:noway: Mmmm...Halloween soon!!!LOL
    :flowerforyou: Chiclet ...hang on in there...good luck with all the paraphenalia that comes with being the carer!! Mum's room still looks cosy...even with the hospital type bed, commode/shower chair, hoist etc etc!! Her teddies are lined up on her bed in the morning lounging on a bright pink throw....walls are bright yellow. Cheery or what!!!
    So ...off i go now.
    Have a good weekend
    BFN
    Jackie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I hope all are doing well. A lot more posts this morning or last night as the case may be. Chiclet I am so sorry for you. I hope you get your mom home and get all straight. These things are so frustrating. You wonder sometimes how you and your brother came from the same genes.
    I opened my eyes at 4 am this morning. dozed for a while. Kenneth got up about 5 to get ready for work. For about 15 min while he was getting ready I had a conversation with myself about getting up and going to the gym, NO, well get up and work out here, NO, well you know you are not going back to sleep so do something. YES about 5:20 I got up and went to the gym. Had a great workout. Glad the good side won. We are going to a local Halloween parade tonight. Oldest granddaughter is marching with cheerleader team. 2 4 yr old granddaughters are sleeping here and in morn we are headed north about 70 miles to go to a pumpkin patch. Never been before but really sounds like fun. Have a wedding vow renewal tomorrow night, church sunday morn and a halloween party sunday night. Whew I am tired and I havent even done it yet.
    Hope you all have a good day.
    Vicki M
  • missjo113
    Options
    Good Friday morning to all!

1st off... Chicklet, I can really feel for you. On Nov 30th it will be 13 years since my Mom had her stroke. She was hospitalized and I went to be with her until she was released on Dec 22nd. With the OK from her doctor for her to travel by plane, I brought her to stay with us just in time for Christmas. She lived in Vancouver BC at the time and I live just outside of Edmonton Alberta in St Albert. She was a very active 76 year old, still working (cleaning houses) and volunteering, and very independant having been divorced for 20 years. The doctors told her she had to take it easy but both her and I knew that if she were to stay in Vancouver she would be right back to being as busy as before her stroke. She was very weak and had a very hard time talking so it was very frustrating for her. She spent from just before Christmas until the Easter long week end with us and then we took her back to Vancouver. At first I was a little apprehensive about bringing my Mom back to my home with me because we had never really got along that well but, even though I have 2 brothers that live within an hour drive of her home in Vancouver, I knew they weren't going to be any help to her at all. So she came to do her rehabilitation at my house. At Easter when we brought her back to Vancouver, we told her that if she wanted to, we would love to have her move to Edmonton. We told her right off the bat that we didn't want her to move in with us because she had been on her own for such a long time and we didn't want her to loose her independance but we would help her find an appartment that was close by. She made her decision by June of that year to take us up on our offer and by August she was all settled in her apartment in Edmonton. It was probably the best move she's ever made. Those 3 and a 1/2 months that she stayed with my family were really great for all of us. My kids got to spend a ton of time with their Grandma (which they didn't get to see her very often before, 2 to 3 time a year) and her and I really got to know each other in a totally different way. I was the one taking care of her and telling her what she could and couldn't do. My 2 brothers were really chocked when she made the decision to move because now they have to make a much bigger effort to come and visit her (not that they made much of an effort while she was only an hour away). And, she's not as close by to take advantage of . Both of them would borrow things from her and never bring them back, and borrow money which she never saw again. When she moved here she also decided to change her bank accounts so that they were joint with me. Now I take care of her finances and my brothers can't get her money anymore. They don't dare even ask her. She is now living the life that she deserves, volunteers to keep herself busy and enjoys being able to do what she wants, when she wants. She celebrated her 89th birthday in August and is planning a big bash for her 90th. Her doctor in Vancouver (who is also a good friend) told her that had she stayed in Vancouver and went back to her old lifestyle, she would most likely not even have seen her 80th birthday. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're doing the right thing, a great thing, and even though its a lot of effort and hard work, hopefully it will all be worth it. My brother's still think I'm a (b)itch for taking their 'easy street' away from them and I'm sure there will be a 'battle royal' when my Mom passes away but they can't deny that she's happy and still living a full and productive life. And my nephew is thrilled that she's still around to see her 1st great grandchild!

Well that was super long so to everyone else have a wonderful Friday... I'm going to be busy finishing up my Halloween costume for a dance that we're going to on Saturday night (I'm going as Michael Jackson) and I'm also making my daughter's costume. She's going as a Paper Bag Princess. She's going to a house party (she's 24 years old) and will be wearing a gorgeous cocktail dress made out of brown paper!
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello again after 7 months! I got off track big time......was here for a few months and lost 10 pounds and now I'm right back where I started! My biggest challenge is my job as I am an event planner at a hotel and I am continuously surrounded by delicious food. I finally realized again after I felt bloated and fat that I simply have to bring my own food from home and not touch the food at work except for non fat milk for my cereal! Not only that but I'm suffering with foot pain which enables me to walk about 10 miles at work but no extra walking outside in the fresh air which I love.....but there is always swimming which I love also right?

Needless to say I am in need of encouragement and I found it before when I was here and I see so many of you are still here and achieving or not achieving your goals but all inspiring each other which is such a blessing! I'm off to work now with a packed lunch and dinner in case its a long day and I'll check in tommorrow to let you know how I did. Nice to be back!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, All!

Suzanita: Welcome back...baby steps, baby steps! You're going in the right direction!

MissJo: A Paper Bag Princess! That was one of my favorite books when I was teaching and with my boys! I still have it. Have fun!

Chiclet: So glad to hear from you but sorry that things are not better. Take care of yourself!

Vicki: Congrats on the "good" side winning and getting to the gym! I always feel better when that side wins!

I just read a great quote that I thought you all might enjoy:

A Cherokee Grandfather explained to his grandson that within every person are two wolves fighting-
    one the wolf of anger, resentment and fear, the other of compassion, hope and love.
    The grandson asked which wolf wins, and the grandfather answered, "The one you feed."

May we all feed the good wolf each day! Have a great weekend, dear ladies! Kackie:heart:
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    :flowerforyou: missjo113

Thank you so much for telling me your situation with your mother. It sounds so much like my own, even down to the part about how your mother and you were never really that close. She has lived on and off with my brother most of her life. (He had stayed at home when I had already moved out to go to school, got married and such. I don't think he got married unitil he was in his 30's and all that time he had been living at home with my mom. Then we he finally got married and moved out, after maybe 5 years, mom sold her house and moved in with him. She has always needed someone there for her that was family and was very afraid of being alone.I think that is why she has put up with so much abuse from him over the years. She and I buck heads a lot, because I am very independent, speak my mind and don't give into her "giving up" mode, which irritates her to no end. I think she likes playing the victim. It's all she's ever known, thanks to her ex-husband and my brother. So when I hear her trying to give up at the rehab facility, I get on her which gets her so mad and has hung up on me and then later will call me back and say she knows I am right.
    Today I received a phone call from the facility saying that her stay there has been extended to next Tuesday. Unless anything changes again, she will be moving over her on Wednesday. It turns out the CAT scan showed that she never had a stroke. So that proves to me and the others that my mom took advantage of the "stroke" story, to not try as hard, consequently sabotaging her own self and having the insurance company decline any further treatment. She is her own worse enemy. I am very frustrated with her right now and just got off the phone telling her so. She admitted to it and I could her it in her voice that she realized she has hurt herself.
    I am going to stop posting right now as I am very frustrated and upset with my mom and don't want to say anything I don't mean on here. So I will check in later.:frown:
    But missjo113 I did want to thank you for sharing, it did help a lot. I can only hope that my mom will develop the same strong attitude that your mother took.
    Chiclet
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    love the wolf quote. The wolf is my totem and my guardian spirit. I know its too sides well. I have been spending this morning compiling plans for my Samhain ritual Sunday. It is time to honor my ancestors and acknowlege the cycles of life. I hope you are all having a great day.
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Good Evening:
    (at least where I live) I have posted some pictures of the Great Smokies in Tennessee on my pics. The last pic is the back yard where I live.
    Kackie: yes, I love the mountains. My great grandmothers people were from the area around the Smokies. :flowerforyou:

Wizzy: York -England...:laugh: you probably had a laugh out of my post. It's getting dark here about 6:30, this time of year. We have sunshine today and about 59 was the highest.

We had bad storms in our area of the country(USA) that changed the temps.

Smelliot: I am sorry about the loved one that had cancer. My father-in-law, uncle, grandmother, etc..all died with cancer. I have a school mate who has stage 4 cancer. It's just about everywhere in her body. Cancer is an evil killer. :angry:

To all of those who are having health issues with loved ones, parents and other family members. I hope things get better.:heart:

All these things can be wearing on us. It affects our health, our mentality, and our eating.

To all those who have had weight losses they have worked on so hard...Congrats! and Kudos! to you! (we need a clapping smiley face or bursting stars, don't ya think??):bigsmile:
    Suezzque::::flowerforyou: Wow! and good for you. I have come to the conclusion that won't happen for me again...:wink:

All you all that turning out the excercise minutes like bubbles...I am hopefully right behind you. (and the view is getting smaller from here:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ) I am inspired!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Glad to be back. I am trying to get myself back into the groove I have been carving for myself.:grumble:

I like the Cherokee inspiration. I love reading about Native American culture.

Hope all of you have a good weekend. May God be with you.:heart::flowerforyou:
  • lyn54
    Options
    I really need to prrrroooofff read...:bigsmile:
  • lyn54
    Options
    PSSS. If you look at the pics of the Smokies, I was up in the mountains at an overlook. I don't know what the elevation was at the overlook.
    Thanks.:smile:
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    chicklet, so sorry for what you are going through with your mother and missjo, thanks for the story of what happened with your mother Luckily my mother lives within 10 mnutes of both my sisters and they check in everyday. I don't know that I would be able to keep up with any kind of diet or exercise plan under those circumstances.

Loved the wolf quote also, will have to keep it in mind.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,373 Member
    Options
    mcdebbie - HIIT is high intensity interval training. I go for 30 seconds as fast as I can, then at a regular pace for a minute to recover. I do get very sweated. It's supposed to be good aerobically and anarobically.

Well, I had my ride along tonight. I tell you, Vince did MUCH more than I did. First, we didn't get going until almost 6:30. The deputy went to serve a summons but no one came to the door. Then we rode...and rode...and rode. He brought me back at 8:00. I do have to say that they have a lot of stuff in their car. I didn't get to see him use the computer or hear the updates since he didn't get any calls. We don't go next week but the week after that we see the crime scene investigation.

chicklet - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

We started putting up the Halloween decorations for this year. There's this Halloween store near us and they had this life like sized Mike Myers for 1/2 off so I bought that. Everything in their store will go on sale 50% off Monday so I intend to be there at 9. Looks like they have some pretty good stuff. I did buy this spider web that's made out of rope for Vince. He'd been looking for one and since they were only $20, I figured they'd get sold out before they went on sale so I bought that for full price.

Tomorrow, yoga. Not sure if I'll go to the 9:00 or 10:00 class. Maybe the 9.

Everyone have a geat evening.

Michele
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good Friday evening to all. Just came back from a surprise 50th birhday party. It was fun and I think I managed to skate through it (as well as the rest of the day) just a little bit over on calories. I was fairly controlled because I did not allow myself to snack on the goodies before the chili and cold cut supper. I did eat a little more dessert than was desirable and drank two glasses of merlot...but all-in-all I'm only up about 100-150 calories, which for me at a party isn't too bad.

Chiclet, hang in there with your Mom. I know it's hard to be a caregiver...and I didn't have squabbling siblings to deal with.

Hope everyone has a good evening and a fantastic Saturday. Enjoy your football games or other activities!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: When I weighed today, I had finally lost the last of the three pounds I gained during all my travels in September and early October…..so now I am back at my goal weight….this is where I want to stay….my goal of eating at home has been a good part of it……since the weekend out of town at the beginning of the month, we’ve only eaten in a restaurant once and that was with someone who had come from out of town….next month won’t be so easy with Thanksgiving dinner and gratitude dinners on the schedule as well as the final meeting of a committee I’ve served on for two years that will end with dinner in a restaurant.

:flowerforyou: DH and I picked up six boxes of apples from our friend today (last year there were eight boxes) along with two squash and six onions…tomorrow we start the great applesauce cooking marathon…..we haven’t quite finished all the applesauce from last year. But we’re getting close

:flowerforyou: Chiclet, during the last years of my mom's life when she needed a lot of care, I remember her telling me that she was sorry that I didn't have siblings to share the work and the worry......after listening to what's going on with you, I am grateful that I didn't have siblings to deal with like you do......caring for my mom was the most stressful time in my life and I treasured the friends who listened to me and helped me with things when I needed them.....someone told me to stay in the moment and that helped a lot.

:flowerforyou: For dinner tonight we had chicken baked with onions, peppers, and tomatoes, salad, and sweet potatoes…yum yum
    :heart: :heart: :heart: have a great weekend......it's getting colder and wetter here but I'm going to try to get outside when I can.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Kackie – That quote about feeding the right wolf hit home with me. I have been trying to get to my why of overeating lately.

It's all on me and what I put in my mouth and I own that. However I am realizing there are other issues that I have been burying with fat. It won't be an easy job, but I'm going to have to find a way to feed the right wolf. I deserve to be a healthy weight; we all do. I may try saying that when tempted to eat in an unhealthy way. I deserve to be a healthy weight.

Chiclet – Good job on doing the best you can for your mother. You will always know you did your best for her. That knowledge is invaluable.

smelliott – So sorry to hear about the cancer in your family. It is so much harder when it's a young person. My prayers are with you and your family.

Suezzzque – It's good to hear that Tanner is doing well enough to be concerned about you having someone to talk to in the hospital! He sounds like quite a guy. Let us know if you get the house. I have my fingers crossed for you!

Barbiecat – Thanks for the apple-squash soup recipe. I made it the day after you posted it and have been having it for dinner ever since. Yummy, but you have to love pepper!

Faye
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

A nippy day here in London.

I've already clocked a good chunk of walking today and I'm just off to do some more shortly once I've collected my youngest daughter. She's coming walking with me, which gives us a good chance to have a natter and catch up.

DH has lost five pounds. Great, you may say - except he didn't need to lose any weight at all. If anything, he could use a few extra pounds. I think I'm going to have to look more closely at what I'm feeding him. Perhaps I've been a little over zealous and cut his intake too much. He's one of those annoying people who burns calories very effectively and never has a weight problem.

We are going to a Halloween party at my sister's tomorrow, which should be fun. I've bought two buckets full of kiddie sweets - which kind of goes against the grain, but it's not something that happens often. My little niece and nephews will be there of course and they are very healthy eaters. They consume vast amounts of fruit and veg - which is no bad thing. That doesn't mean that they will turn down a few of the sweeties though.

I'm looking forward to Monday morning, my next swimming lesson. I really don't think I'm improving, but I'm going to persevere. I have to go straight to the hospital after my lesson as I've got an appointment with my glaucoma specialist. Hopefully it hasn't advanced. Fingers crossed with that. I also have my cardiologist appointment rebooked for Wednesday and then my appointment with the dietician on Friday. Let's see if I can actually make all these appointments for a change!

One little story to tell. I was doing my canvassing yesterday evening and I got 'chatted up' by a young guy who then asked me out. I told him that I'm extremely happily married, but it was still a flattering moment or two.

Time to get moving. Have a great day please everybody. Love to you all.

Amanda x
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Chiclet - I am so sorry about your sibling(s) giving you and your mother so much grieve. It will be better when she is with you.

Barbie - Glad to hear you are back at goal.

I am bound to get back on track for November to actually loose again. I just realize that my ticker has November goals, looks like I skipped October all together. lol

Today really is the last day for soccer until March when the spring season begins. Things will slow down.

Best wishes to all for a good weekend.

Jeannie
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I’m trying to catch up with all of you since my last post. I love the connections we share. I’ll be gone for a week coming up shortly so don’t want to get too far behind. Sorry for the long post! :noway:

I’m back from the Bay Area where I spent a few days visiting with friends. Probably on Monday, I’ll be heading up to Tahoe to spend some time with my folks and, I’m hoping, my sister. Tahoe has some not-so-pleasant associations for me as I’m used to being the one who doesn’t go for walks. :grumble: My sister is an avid walker. My mom used to be but has slowed down a bit...too many creaky joints these days. I’m hopeful that, this time, I’ll be right in the middle when it comes to walking ability. That’s a nice place to be. :smile:

Vicki, I usually weigh once a week. (More if I’m eagerly awaiting a change!) Our bodies are all different so some lose weight more slowly and some more quickly. As long as you’re heading in the right direction, you’re doing the right thing. I’ve slowed down on the rate because I like getting at least 1400 calories a day. (I don't like anything that smacks of deprivation!) That used to mean losing a couple of pounds a week. Now that I weigh less, I might lose just a pound a week or even less. It’s amazing how those pounds add up though. :happy:

I visited last week with some long-time friends. They were marveling at my new shape and saying, “You’re so much smaller. You’re a fraction of your real self.” I said, “No, I’m just revealing my real self.” :laugh: That’s how I feel. It’s weird to think I was so big for so long. I still get glimpses of the reasons why when I have a hard time shutting off the munchies. (World Series get-together being a prime example.) But, most of the time, if it weren’t for the saggy skin :ohwell: , I’d have a hard time believing I ever weighed what I did.

Robin, good job on getting the sugars down. :flowerforyou: I’m a big fan of fruit, so I wouldn’t want to cut that out. But, shaking it up is bound to be a good thing. Yay for you. I’m scheduled for a colonoscopy too, at the tail end of November. (Ohmigosh, I didn't mean that to sound that way...but it's so appropriate!) Never had one (although I should have at age 50), so it’s about time. Not looking forward to the prep though. Ugh.

Kackie, sounds as though you’re having fun throwing out the old (and, of course, bringing in the new!) Congratulations on your achievement. I marvel over how active you are. You’re a great example. The Bahamas sound lovely. And it will be fun to have a new shape since the last time you saw your friends! BTW, loved the wolf quote. There's a lot of truth to that quote. Of course, it mostly applies to other people. (:laugh:) I’m saving it.

Birdie, you have great genes in your family! Now that you’re so beautifully slender, you’ll have more fun in that long life I hope you have ahead of you. Your family sounds like fun. I’ve heard having a glass of wine each night is a healthy thing. :drinker: I’m sure that must be one of the reasons for your success!!!

Michele, you are a great exerciser too, and always involved in your community. I enjoy reading about all your exploits.

Terri, Yay for clean windows! I love the sunshine too. :love: It’s gloomy here today. I can’t complain too much as we were expecting a big storm. I hope we can get some gravel in before the rain really hit. It gets slick as, well, you know what, when the ground gets saturated. As many of you know, I’m living “temporarily” in a manufactured house while we finish up my new space in the big house my daughter, son-in-law, and I built/had built a year and a half ago. I can’t wait to get in. It’s getting closer but I doubt I’ll be in by Christmas, which makes improving my current place more crucial.

You sound like a busy lady! It’s nice to be connected to – and giving so freely – to so many people. :heart: Your relatives who have cancer are in my thoughts and prayers. They are in a tough battle. I’m glad they have family to support them.

Good for you for not snacking at the birthday party. That is my biggest challenge. You did an awesome job.

Jeannie, hope you’re feeling better. You are one of the stalwarts of the group. :love: I always enjoy hearing from you and appreciate your encouragement.

Alice, what a lot of work you and your family have accomplished. You have such a grateful heart. :heart: Your good attitude spills over from your words. Thank you for sharing that with us. You are an encouragement to me.

Jackie, sounds like you’ve settled into a good routine with your mum. She’s a lucky mom. I like the reversible coat story! You make me chuckle every time I read your posts. :happy: Your humor is a gift.

Miss Jo, woo hoo about your son’s upcoming engagement. Let us know how everything goes. Dish girl!

I was glad to hear your story about your mom. It’s a true success story.

Barbie, I had to change my dinner plans with my friends so didn’t get a chance to try your soup. I’ve got the squash, apples, and onions ready though. It’s dark and drippy here today. A perfect day for soup.

Instead of eating soup, I went out to dinner at the Yankee Pier with the friends I was visiting last week. My friend asked the waitress to have the food (filet of sole, sautéed squash and kale, sautéed mushrooms) prepared with a minimal amount of oil. She said, “Oh, the Living Lean option.” I didn’t know it had a name. :happy:

I was glad my friend remembered to ask how the food would be prepared. It’s always disappointing when food you thought would be healthy comes out drenched in oil or fried. :grumble: And, it’s too easy to eat it rather than send it back or push it aside. :noway: I’m glad we asked…and will remember that for the future. Of course, we did share a piece of lemon meringue pie. :wink: No way to make that less calorific! (But it was good and I had only a couple of bites so I’m not sorry we ordered it.)

Do you follow a recipe for your applesauce? Include the skins? Add sweetener and/or cinnamon? I’ve got 40 lbs of apples and thought I’d get them ready and freeze them for Thanksgiving pies and other stuff. Applesauce would be yummy. Hopefully I’ll have a few left as I’ve been eating a couple every day. :tongue: They come from my neighbor’s orchard and are the biggest, sweetest, juiciest Fujis I’ve ever tasted. Hmm. Maybe I should get some more!

Viv, you are such a wonderful niece to your uncle. I’m glad he’s feeling better – and you are too. Hope the kitty is okay. When I think about getting a pet, I read about some of what comes along with and put it off. :tongue:

Amanda, glad those cupcakes are still baking. Can’t wait to hear about their arrival. Soon! (But not too soon.) My niece, Megan, delivered a healthy baby girl Thursday so I’m a Great Auntie again. That's #2 for me. I love it. Good for you for maintaining. That’s even more important than losing. Taking a break from losing and practicing maintaining is not a bad thing, although I see you’re under your calories every day so you just might lose when you’re not even trying! :wink:

Mrs. Sparkle, welcome! I see you figured out how to get your ticker going. Re the loose skin. No answer to that one other than plastic surgery. I’m down 125 since my highest weight and definitely wear ¾ length sleeves! :tongue: The parts aren’t pretty but the skinnier body sure feels good!

Debbie, you stay strong too! Visitors make sticking to eating well more of a challenge but at least you’ll be the one in control as you’ll be in your own kitchen. I’ll look forward to hearing how it went.

Good luck, MacMadame! McDebbie, welcome! Welcome back Marilyn!

Lynn, It’s hard not to get attached to the ladies in this group! You did a great job, tracking even on vacation. It paid off! The pics are beautiful. Is that face in the bunch one of you? Very pretty. And such smooth skin!!!

Chiclet, You’re doing a great job. :flowerforyou: Pat yourself on the back. And remember to be good to yourself, including eating lots of fruits and veggies of course. :wink: It’s easy to forget to take care of ourselves when we’re busy taking care of everyone else. You are a terrific advocate for your mom.

I think I’m going to join a more local gym. It’s been hard to get to the one in El Dorado Hills (about 35 minutes away) and will get harder as the weather gets wetter. There’s a gym in town that’s just 10 minutes or so away. Not as nice, but functional.

Suzanita, welcome back. Being around delicious food has got to be one of the biggest temptations any of us face. My biggest problem is snacking when there are chips, dips, hummus, salsa, shrimp, etc., etc. around. I still want to be able to nibble, but in a more controlled way.

I’ve decided to put the portions I want to eat on my plate then stick to that. That means counting the chips, eyeballing the amount of hummus, counting the shrimp, etc. That way I can keep my calories in check, track what I’m eating, and still feel like part of the group. It’s when I go with the flow (go “unconscious”) that I get in trouble. Maybe an approach that hits somewhere in the middle would work for you too. Good luck!

Happy trick-or-treating everyone. The neighbors are having a get-together tonight. I think my blue wig would look nice!
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    Do you follow a recipe for your applesauce? Include the skins? Add sweetener and/or cinnamon? I’ve got 40 lbs of apples and thought I’d get them ready and freeze them for Thanksgiving pies and other stuff. Applesauce would be yummy. Hopefully I’ll have a few left as I’ve been eating a couple every day. :tongue: They come from my neighbor’s orchard and are the biggest, sweetest, juiciest Fujis I’ve ever tasted. Hmm. Maybe I should get some more!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Barbie’s Homemade Applesauce

*as many apples (cored and sliced) as you need to fill a 4 quart pot
    *2 cups of water

1. Core and slice the apples (leave the skin on)
    2. Heat apples and water, covered, on high heat for 10 minutes
    3. Turn heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes
    4. Continue to heat on low, uncovered, for 40 minutes
    5. Serve warm, or cool in refrigerator, or put in glass jars, or plastic containers, or freezer bags to freeze for up to a year
    6. You can add cinnamon while cooking or make the applesauce plain and add cinnamon when you serve it.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I finished seven quarts today and have barely made a dent in the apples :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'll be working on this for awhile.
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Thanks, Barbie. :flowerforyou: Skin-on sounds perfect! Much easier. I'll get busy.