Work birthday - I'm a jerk for not eating pizza and cake

Options

Replies

• tula1980
    Options
    Hilarious thread!

Sadly I know the OP's position all too well. I do actually have IBD so if I eat the wrong thing it's anything from 1-3 days of severe digestive side effects! Dairy and fats (even the 'good' ones) are the worst for setting me off and I've been in that situation where I've had to justify to a room full of colleagues why I can't eat the cake/pizza/oily take out. I'm a very private person too, I don't like to feel like I'm in the situation where I have to justify myself, and I'm not the type to want to give people a blow by blow account of my medical history. However in the end I had to just suck it up and explain in detail, it made things much easier once people realised I *actually* had a good reason for not eating it.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find that being ultra private about something means people get nosey, and they think you're trying to be secretive so they keep asking questions. Maybe if people get really pushy you could explain it a bit, then perhaps they will stop pushing?
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    My work birthday party for me is next Wednesday. My boss says he is buying me pizza and we always have cake and ice cream. Last year I puked after eating (not on purpose) because I was not used to eating crappy food. This year I am not sure I want to even eat it if its going to make me sick.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My work birthday party for me is next Wednesday. My boss says he is buying me pizza and we always have cake and ice cream. Last year I puked after eating (not on purpose) because I was not used to eating crappy food. This year I am not sure I want to even eat it if its going to make me sick.

Talk about "re-gifting"!

I'm really fortunate. Where I work, dietary stuff is not an issue. If someone doesn't want to eat something, no one makes an issue about it.

Holiday celebrations are pot-luck style, so there's something for everyone.

I wish it could be that way for everyone.

Good luck, everyone.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    People feel guilty for their poor eating habits, and the presence of someone who eats healthy makes them uncomfortable. I see this a lot, ESPECIALLY on this site. It's their problem, not yours.

Trust me, I DON'T feel guilty for not eating vegan....
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    Makes me glad i work at home! The only food offered here is in my garden.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky the people in my office admire what I have done. I bring my lunch and go outside to eat it. They never tease me or try to get me to join in. I give them more grief about the way they are eating. LOL
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Boy, that escalated quickly

I get the impression there are a lot of unemployable people hanging out here.

Thirty seconds to type one-liners means we're all on welfare! You caught us!

Please send us cake and/or pizza, OP. We need jobs!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you don't eat that crap because you don't want to be fat like them.

This.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    You have to take care of #1. Plain & simple.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I am currently staring at turkeys made out of hershey bars, marshmallows and fudge stripe cookies in my office.....I dont even want one (too full from my oatmeal) and no one has offered. They are here but luckily for me it is no big deal. People here are pretty easy going about food. Many people are watching what they eat. :)
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat dairy, it's not really a matter of choice. One good overshare about that would shut them up: "if I ate the cheese and ice cream my butt would violently paint the bathroom brown. So no thank you."
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you don't eat that crap because you don't want to be fat like them.

This.

do this and get ready for being put on the fast track for promotion. :drinker:
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're being too sensitive. It was kind of the co-worker who said he would have purchased something dairy-free for you. And, it's doubtful people saw you as a jerk for eating healthy. It might have simply been a compliment.

I've had people call me a jerk for eating healthy...it does happen
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It is our culture to celebrate with food. Think about it - every holiday, every special occasion, every memorable event - the first thing we plan is the menu. The wedding cake...the cookout...the holiday meal...the birthday cake. If they look at you funny, its because you are bucking tradition, stepping outside of the comfort zone, making it ok to say no, making them think perhaps they should have been strong enough to do that to.

You are not a jerk, so ignore it and walk away. Do what you have to do and don't worry about it. Don't take things so personally. Get over yourself.

It sounds to me as though the person it bothers the most is YOU. Everyone else has already forgotten. I guarantee that they won't remember it again...until next time.
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have rude coworkers. My husband faces the same thing at work sometimes (he has a dairy allergy and a gluten intolerance)....he often can't eat ANY of the food others bring in, so he makes a brief appearance at parties/events but then leaves. Others also think he's weird for eating chicken and veggies for lunch every day...but my husband is an athlete and has always eaten like that - he is very aware of nutrition and eating healthy. Then again, the guy sitting next to my husband apparently eats a Milky Way and a large Mt. Dew for lunch....everyday. So my husband isn't surrounded by anyone else who eats well at work and he ends up looking more 'out of the ordinary' there.

Don't let your coworkers get to you - you are doing what is good for you and healthy for you. That's the most important thing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What kind of cake was it?

Five pages in, and still no answer from OP. Inquiring minds want to know...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It is our culture to celebrate with food. Think about it - every holiday, every special occasion, every memorable event - the first thing we plan is the menu. The wedding cake...the cookout...the holiday meal...the birthday cake. If they look at you funny, its because you are bucking tradition, stepping outside of the comfort zone, making it ok to say no, making them think perhaps they should have been strong enough to do that to.

You are not a jerk, so ignore it and walk away. Do what you have to do and don't worry about it. Don't take things so personally. Get over yourself.

It sounds to me as though the person it bothers the most is YOU. Everyone else has already forgotten. I guarantee that they won't remember it again...until next time.

I disagree. They are not looking at her funny because they feel bad about what they are eating. I've seen that statement a bunch of times in this thread and judging people for their food choices is just wrong, whether they are eating healthy or not. They are looking at her funny because she is breaking the social contract by not participating, and in essence feel like she is rejecting them. It's not like holidays, birthdays, and celebrations come of out nowhere and you're completely blindsided. If eating healthy is important to you, bring something healthy to contribute to the celebration for everyone to share. That way people feel like you are actually participating in the group and not just showing up out of obligation. It's really not difficult.
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not my birthday, my boss's.

Why can't "no thank you" be enough? Twelve people in the room want to stand and discuss why the girl who brings healthy lunch every day doesn't want pizza and ice cream. It's embarrassing.

I've clearly lost a lot of weight over the last four months. About 20 lbs. Many people have commented. Why is it so crazy that I don't want pizza?

I get this all the time as well. They make fun of me and say I'm "skinny enough" and wrinkle their noses at the food I bring to eat. These are the same people who complain about their weight while munching on fast food daily. I've come to the conclusion that they're jealous because I have made healthy changes and feel fantastic while they're stuck in their same depressing rut. They poke fun at me because it makes them feel better about their choices. Keep up the good work....and to heck with them! :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

I disagree. They are not looking at her funny because they feel bad about what they are eating. I've seen that statement a bunch of times in this thread and judging people for their food choices is just wrong, whether they are eating healthy or not. They are looking at her funny because she is breaking the social contract by not participating, and in essence feel like she is rejecting them. It's not like holidays, birthdays, and celebrations come of out nowhere and you're completely blindsided. If eating healthy is important to you, bring something healthy to contribute to the celebration for everyone to share. That way people feel like you are actually participating in the group and not just showing up out of obligation. It's really not difficult.

^ the elephant in the middle of the thread.

i don't understand why people feel the need to make a scene about not eating cake or pizza or whatever at work. just take a bite. show your appreciation. stop being a martyr. it's not hard to figure out... one bite never hurt anybody. unless you are risking going into anaphalactic shock (such as with a severe peanut allergy), it's only one bite to show your appreciation and participation.