P90X (NOVEMBER 1) - BRING IT

Options

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is my first post on this site. Hope I am doing it correctly ;-)

I started P90X classic today too, but I am going to take twice as long as the 90 days because I am alternating it with my running schedule....(one day p90x, next running, p90x, running..)

I will be sure to check back in and see how you are all doing!!

Good luck!

I would stick to the schedule. Just substitute your running with the cardio based P90X work outs.

Example:
    Day 1 Chest and Back w/ Ab Ripper
    Day 2 Running
    Etc....
  • Stooooo
    Options
    Man, was I sore this morning. Took all I had just to get out of bed, lol.

My P90x Lean Day 2 CardioX workout on Tue, 11/02/2010 at 5:53 AM for 47 minutes.
    MY COMMENTS: 155 AVG BPM, 187 MAX BPM, 44% of the time spent between 162 - 180 BPM, 26% between 144 - 161, 20% between 126 - 143.

Follow the link below to view a graph of my BPM over time:
    http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/WRCNVAWPHLXPVSQRSIGOY6CBIU

Wow, I love this workout. Next time I'll do even better, took a bit to get into each new exercise the first time.

Are you having a recovery shake after your work out?
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Day 2 of lean program - Cardio X done. It was only 43 min and much easier than yesterday's workout. Not sure if this because I was more familiar with some of the moves or it really was easier.
  • canadianodb
    canadianodb Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I started P90X classic today too, but I am going to take twice as long as the 90 days because I am alternating it with my running schedule....(one day p90x, next running, p90x, running..)

Good luck!

I would stick to the schedule. Just substitute your running with the cardio based P90X work outs.

Example:
    Day 2 Running
    Etc....

I very well might change over to this. Many people suggest it. I want to try all the P90X workouts though, just to see what they are like. However, I am not ready to completely give up my running. I have reached my running milage goal for the year, so if I really enjoy p90x cardio, I might let my running slide for awhile. But, if I like running more, then I'll take out the p90x cardio. Right now I am just trying everything out to see what works, and what I like best.
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Example:
    Day 2 Running
    Etc....

I very well might change over to this. Many people suggest it. I want to try all the P90X workouts though, just to see what they are like. However, I am not ready to completely give up my running. I have reached my running milage goal for the year, so if I really enjoy p90x cardio, I might let my running slide for awhile. But, if I like running more, then I'll take out the p90x cardio. Right now I am just trying everything out to see what works, and what I like best.

I also like to run and do the elliptical machine. However, I have found the P90X cardio to be a very different animal than running. Certainly try it and decide for yourself, but my advice is to step down the running just a bit and try and do the P90X cardio.

Dave
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with deciding what kind of calories I should use for Kempo and Core Synergestics. I can't afford a heart monitor at the moment. Any suggestions on what to use? I sweat a lot and get my heart rate up especially during Kempo.

The official website says to estimate 600 cals for each P90x workout. When I did my CardioX routine this morning, I averaged 155 BPM for 47 minutes. Using a calculator and also subtracting my resting BPM, I came up with about a net 650 cals. So, their estimates are fairly close, at least for me with CardioX

Really? 600?For STRETCHING too? Can you link it? I have a HRM but I am curious as to what the site says.
  • TheSuperSaiyan
    Options
    Day 1 p90x Classic: Finished chest and back strong with a total of over 250 push ups, 50+ pull ups, and sweat from head to toe! Before that was a nice walk for over 2 miles, and tonight will be Ab Ripper X and my Karate class (3 hours worth of training).

wow ... um that's a lot. I am feeling slightly intimidated now LOL

Ah don't feel intimidated, I'm here to push all of you to be better than I, and to always do your best and never give up!
  • TheSuperSaiyan
    Options
    Day 2: P90x Classic- Plyometrics!!! My favorite, who doesn't love to jump?!!?! Oh and some Wing Chun practice and nunchaku practice today. =)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm with whoever said they were sore this morning! I did pretty good with the Core Synergistics workout last night. :happy: I got through quite a bit of the reps that the people in the video were doing, but I certainly can't do as many push-ups as they can...yet!

Tonight is Cardio X. I don't know exactly what to expect yet, but I might not be doing the video quite the same way as everyone else. I have minor heart problems. I scheduled a physical with my doctor last Friday to talk about how healthy I am and how my heart will react to this program. She told me to go for it, but just to be very aware of how my body feels and to stop, especially if I feel any chest pain. We'll see how it goes! I have a heart rate monitor to help me as well.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    Day 1 p90x Classic: Finished chest and back strong with a total of over 250 push ups, 50+ pull ups, and sweat from head to toe! Before that was a nice walk for over 2 miles, and tonight will be Ab Ripper X and my Karate class (3 hours worth of training).

wow ... um that's a lot. I am feeling slightly intimidated now LOL

Ah don't feel intimidated, I'm here to push all of you to be better than I, and to always do your best and never give up!

That was somewhat tongue in cheek. I appreciate your "gusto". I KNOW my limitations but I also know where to push. I am somewhat limited with my upper body strength but working on it!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with deciding what kind of calories I should use for Kempo and Core Synergestics. I can't afford a heart monitor at the moment. Any suggestions on what to use? I sweat a lot and get my heart rate up especially during Kempo.

The official website says to estimate 600 cals for each P90x workout. When I did my CardioX routine this morning, I averaged 155 BPM for 47 minutes. Using a calculator and also subtracting my resting BPM, I came up with about a net 650 cals. So, their estimates are fairly close, at least for me with CardioX

I did the Cardio X this morning and my HRM only showed 200. Then I do subtract my resting calories.

There is a website that can help you calculate based on your heart rate. There are so many "resting times" during the work outs that you should be able to get a 10 second read (then multiply by 6). Hope this helps you:

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

D
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Yes, not the P90x version, but a whey protein powder drink.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    so I searched 2400 calories on the other website and found a thread talking about calorie deficits. Based on that information and other threads, I am going to stick with what I am doing here and adjust up as necessary. I am consuming anywhere between 1800-2000 calories with exercise calc'd in anyway and that is about on par with Level 1 calorie goals.

I am SO EXCITED to start! Can't wait to do my fitness test tonight and I will post my starting stats after that!

Also, guys and gals, remember P90X isn't a weight loss program ... so the calories they tell you to eat are to fuel your muscles. I am NO EXPERT but I am searching the message boards for the calorie question and this seems to be the consensus.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Really? 600?For STRETCHING too? Can you link it? I have a HRM but I am curious as to what the site says.

I doubt its for stretching too. Can't find the info on the site now, of course, lol. But it's in the nutrition guide that comes with the program on Page 5.
  • Stooooo
    Options

Yes, not the P90x version, but a whey protein powder drink.

Good, just make sure it has the all important 4 to 1 ratio of Carbs to Protein. Most people don't realize how important a recovery drink is. Speaking of drinks, I tried the new Gatorade pre-work out drink. Didn't really notice much of a difference. Was expecting some huge energy burst, but nada.
  • KarenBorter
    Options

I doubt its for stretching too. Can't find the info on the site now, of course, lol. But it's in the nutrition guide that comes with the program on Page 5.

As fortune would see fit, I have the nutrition book with me here at work today to yank recipes out of to make a shopping list. I will check it out.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm loving hearing about everybody's first couple of workouts.

Ok, I did all of my measurements this morning, still haven't taken my before pics. Didn't have time before hubby left for work.

Height: 5'0
    Weight:120
    Waist (2 fingers above belly button) 27
    Waist at belly button: 29
    Hips: 35.5
    Chest: (below bust line) 30.25
    Both arms: 10
    Both thighs: 19
    Body fat : 23.5%
    Resting Heart Rate: 66

Looking forward to Plyo today!!! Not as sore today as I thought I'd be from shoulders & arms. I'm sure tomorrow I'm going to be in PAIN! I must say, I don't think I'd have stood a chance with this workout if I hadn't been doing all of Jillian's DVD's for so long.

Happy sweating everybody!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Day 2. I absolutely LOVE the ploymetrics work out. I really felt it in my legs the last ten minutes but managed to push through it anyway. Feeling a little sore from yesterday's chest & back - mostly in my triceps. I wonder if I should have pushed myself a little harder. I feel a little tight in my core but that is a good thing.

I am still going to incorporate some more cardio several days per week -- running, elliptical, Arc Trainer, or treadmill hiking because I am used to working out twice a day and frankly, I am a cardio junkie.

I prepare most of my food for the week over the weekendso that I have stuff readily available. I prepped two meals from the nutrition guide island pork (and got the salad stuff to go with it) and the beef stir fry. I will let you know what I think of them when I have them (for the foodies out there). I also prepared lamb stuffed peppers with couscous and spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs (modified from on Karen posted on her blog).

Lamb Stuffed Peppers
    Ingredients
    4 bell peppers, tops removed, cored and seeded
    1/2 pound lean ground lamb
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 cup finely chopped basil
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 cup of Israeli couscous
    2 cups chicken broth (to cook the couscous)

Method
    Preheat oven to 350. In a large saucepan, cover peppers with boiling salted water. Cover and simmer on low 5 minutes. Drain peppers upside down on towels. Prepare couscous with chicken broth according to the package instructions. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown lamb and garlic, breaking up lamb. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, basil, spices, cooked couscous. Stuff peppers with mixture. Stand stuffed peppers in a baking pan. Bake 10-15 minutes until peppers are just tender.

Nutrition
    Per serving (about 12oz/344g-wt.): 270 calories (130 from fat), 15g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 13g protein, 21g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 40mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium

Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs

Ingredients
    1 spaghetti squash halved lengthwise and seeded.
    1 small onion, grated
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
    3 tablespoons ketchup
    1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 pound ground turkey meat (85/15)
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    26 ounces Simple Tomato Sauce, recipe follows, or store-bought marinara sauce

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet. Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove squash from oven, and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled.
    Add the onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, Parmesan, Pecorino, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into 1 1/4-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a large plate or baking sheet.
    Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and saute until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Transfer the meatballs to a plate. Pour off any excess oil. Add the marinara sauce, about 3 cups. Return all the meatballs to the pan. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors blend, 15 to 20 minutes. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.
    Transfer the meatball mixture to a serving bowl.

Simple Tomato Sauce:
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
    4 to 6 basil leaves
    2 dried bay leaves

In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, and bay leaves and simmer covered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning. If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.
    Add half the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
    If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.
  • KarenBorter
    Options
    I have 2 bell peppers in the fridge and was wondering what to do with them. I think that tonight I am going to get the ingredients and make them up ... halving the recipe. Tonight is just the fit test. Hmmmm wonder if I will burn any calories doing it LOL
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Day2 complete and I got rid of the goo today...LOL, also did 2 mile warm up on elliptical. I did take my measurements...but they are down stairs...I'll post them soon...
    My starting weight is 217.4...ugh, been stuck there all year it seems!