Another Mom under fire for post baby selfie.

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    She looks fantastic. The haters are just jealous.

I'm a little jealous too. Of her husband.

You're a man and thus your opinion that other's are coming from a place of jealousy and envy make you shallow and derpy.

I'm a woman and since I agree with you I'm probably out of touch with societies pressure on women or something. Or maybe I find this latest wave of feminism and all the party lines that come with it gross and damaging, so when people try to make one woman a microcosm for all that is wrong with the female image in societies view it makes me want to vomit.

Or something. /kicks rocks
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

It doesn't annoy me to see her picture. It amazes me. But I agree that it could be an indication that the pressure for women to be 'thin and fit at all costs' is spreading to pregnant women.

I think more than anything, people who are calling jealousy don't realize that not all women have this body type as a goal. When somebody says "Oh, you don't like this -- YOU'RE JEALOUS" you are actually saying you think you know what the other person wants.

I didn't look like this after I had a baby, but also have a very quick recovery -- it annoyed people I knew who had longer recovery times because they felt this pressure to be back at it sooner than they were. They weren't jealous of my body, but with the societal pressures to be all these things at one time.

Oh, I'm jealous, no doubt about it. LOL But I'm also jealous that she's younger, has her whole life ahead of her, looks like a model. On and on. But it doesn't make me angry at her, or even annoyed. I don't see the two emotions as being mutually exclusive. I can be jealous (or envious) but I don't feel the need to bring her down. I had my glory days, and now she is having hers. :drinker:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    "bare minimum" as stated by whom?

Those minimums don't really mean everything other than that they're a mean, based on a hypothesis and some sometimes outdated studies.

The placenta, extra fluid, extra blood and the baby all weigh SOMETHING. The fact that it varies is accounted for by the proscribed range of acceptable weight gain. If someone gains less than this it means she's actually losing weight from her pre-existing stores which is not recommended unless the mother was overweight to begin with.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Whenever I post a picture of my outstanding self, what I have in mind is "dear god, i am so hot", not "here you go womens, this is what you need to look like". Then I french kiss the mirror.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

It doesn't annoy me to see her picture. It amazes me. But I agree that it could be an indication that the pressure for women to be 'thin and fit at all costs' is spreading to pregnant women.

I think more than anything, people who are calling jealousy don't realize that not all women have this body type as a goal. When somebody says "Oh, you don't like this -- YOU'RE JEALOUS" you are actually saying you think you know what the other person wants.

I didn't look like this after I had a baby, but also have a very quick recovery -- it annoyed people I knew who had longer recovery times because they felt this pressure to be back at it sooner than they were. They weren't jealous of my body, but with the societal pressures to be all these things at one time.

Oh, I'm jealous, no doubt about it. LOL But I'm also jealous that she's younger, has her whole life ahead of her, looks like a model. On and on. But it doesn't make me angry at her, or even annoyed. I don't see the two emotions as being mutually exclusive. I can be jealous (or envious) but I don't feel the need to bring her down. I had my glory days, and now she is having hers. :drinker:

I was responding to more general comments from people claiming of you don't love this picture, you must be jealous. I personally have no issues with it -- AT ALL. There is just another answer than "you're jealous" to people who find this photo annoying (which again, I don't).

I don't really feel envious because this isn't what I want to look like, but I bounced back nearly as quickly as she did. Lucky ducks.
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to write my long winded response to this, and have like 10 people think I'm crazy, instead I'll go watch a Starz movie and workout while doing it. :-P
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The internet hate machine continues. So many people care about something that has **** all to do with them.

Keep making excuses for yourself, that will totally give you the body you want. *rolls eyes*

3vbe5k.jpg

Meanwhile, I'll continue to be getting in the best shape of my life and using things like this as motivation- as it's intended.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    Whenever I post a picture of my outstanding self, what I have in mind is "dear god, i am so hot", not "here you go womens, this is what you need to look like". Then I french kiss the mirror.
  • Achrya
    Options

But society.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Well, your a man. Which at first might excuse your thinking. But then jof is also a man. So you don't get that excuse. You are just jumping in with your 'you're all just so jealous' which is both demeaning, and ignores the actual good discussions that are happening. But by all means, carry on. Your photo only ads the general derpiness of your comments. :flowerforyou:

While you're completely inaccurate with your shallow interpretation, I will defend your right to be so wrong.

I did appreciate the, "but youse a mans," argument. Was classic.

Shallow? I could argue that you running around with your LOLZ and 'your so jealous' comments are rather shallow. Or is there a deeper truth you are hinting at?

Shallow, lacking in depth, 14 second attempt and analysis after coming up with a preconceived position based on the "you're a man" argument. It was a failure, but I won't hold it against you. The attempted body shaming of the people pissed off by her pictures is amusing, as was your attempt at "shaming" me, or whatever that was with your statement about how I look.

I would say more, but I don't think I could continue being as polite as you seem to need.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The only reason to be annoyed at something like this is because you feel guilty, and that is not the fault of the person posting the picture.

Perfect reply.

She looks awesome. I don't have her genes so will never look like her but I can (and will) look the best I can be so her ost is very encouraging.

Can't women be annoyed with seeing something like this because it perpetuates an unrealistic standard and not be feeling guilty or jealous?

This woman has every right to be proud of herself and she didn't do anything wrong - and people who are making personal remarks about her husband, if she had a healthy pregnancy, or priorities are just mean spirited. But women, who are constantly told how they should and should not look, can be annoyed that this image, because this woman is, no doubt, the exception to the rule. She gets all these accolades for what is entirely genetic, if this is actually 4 days post. Does that mean this woman can't be proud? HELL NO. She can be. She should be, unless it's fake and then she's doing a world of harm. And yes, it's totally valid to question if this is real because biologically speaking, universally all women take longer to recover. I didn't take longer, my doctor also told me I was basically a freak of nature. So healthy skepticism with that in mind, in the face of a society that tells women we need to be virginal, sex kittens with also telling us we need to be sexy mommies seems TOTALLY logical.

Maybe instead of calling jealousy without thinking, consider that women who don't appreciate this picture as a celebration of ONE women, probably are just annoyed that society as a whole thinks this is what women should look like. And if you don't, you are seen as less than.

The end.

It only perpetuates an unrealistic standard if ignorance is king. I'd rather go the educated route than tell this woman she shouldn't post a picture of herself.

Educate the masses instead of assuming they are too dumb to understand and cope with reality.

The beginning?

It only perpetuates an unrealistic standard if it's not real. If it is real, this is one person's celebration of their experience. Their experience just isn't the norm.

The frustration other people might have of this image might not be jealousy based (as this might be their goal) but frustration with a society that sets this as its standard.

So we should avoid all forms of expression if it's not the norm so we can 'protect' some people from themselves and what they percieve society wants them to do and be?

Yes, let's embrace mediocrity and save everyone any possible annoyance. That's definitely the path we should go down. It's best to ignore the problems of society rather than try to correct them. Band-Aids solve everything. The band-aid in this case being that women with great postpartum bodies should keep to themselves.

:noway:
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of hearing about it. She isn't a freak of nature. She just took extra care of her body during pregnancy.

People just need to stop being so judgy.

The "freak of nature" comments can also apply to the other end of the weight spectrum. We are all responsible for ourselves and need to stop placing the blame elsewhere.

(Some medical conditions are not considered in this statement)

This is more than taking care of herself while pregnant. Those of us who have been there know how long it takes for a uterus th shrink back to normal size, and it's usually longer than 4 days. And 4 days postpartum, you're still bleeding a lot, not trotting around cute boy shorts or a thong.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm not a women, but I think I'd be more concerned about the nutrition and health of the child I was carrying than how my body looks after I popped it out... But maybe she's just that damn good at balancing her diet and exercising and maintaining the health of the unborn child. Just maybe...

It's not unheard of. I gained 28 pounds. The baby was 7 lbs, 7 oz, 21 1/2 inches long. She scored 5's on her APGARS and is in perfect health. And I looked like this at 4 days postpartum:

20131019_092511_zpse30d49d2.jpg

I was wondering when you'd pop in to say hi.......and help shake them haters off.

MUAH! :tongue:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Those minimums don't really mean everything other than that they're a mean, based on a hypothesis and some sometimes outdated studies.

The placenta, extra fluid, extra blood and the baby all weigh SOMETHING. The fact that it varies is accounted for by the proscribed range of acceptable weight gain. If someone gains less than this it means she's actually losing weight from her pre-existing stores which is not recommended unless the mother was overweight to begin with.

Correct, something, which is a variable based on each person. If someone gains less than the pre-defined mean, it means they gain less than the pre-defined mean.

It does not immediately mean they are gaining less than they need. There's a fine distinction there.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Weird. I french kiss your mirror too.

ETA: Not at the same time of course. That would just be creepy.
  • freeandfitlyon
    Options
    I gave birth two months ago and I still have 5 kilos to lose. After the first month, I was able to fit in my old jeans (the big ones!). It was hard to accept my body the first month but I have gotten over it.

Every woman has a different body, we don't store fat the same way and we are not all equals regarding our fitness level before and during pregnancy.

I don't mind her posting this pic of herself. She is happy, she has good reasons. What I don't appreciate is how women can put so much pressure on themselves to be skinny, no matter what. As if skinny meant healthy. It does not.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I had morning sickness for nine months. I weighed 110 pounds the day I got pegnant and 102 pounds going into my third trimester. My baby was 7 lb 6 oz and perfectly healthy.

I could not eat fruit or most vegetables the entire pregnancy. The only liquid I could keep down was soda and I lived mostly on pasta with olive oil and cheese.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I'm sick of hearing about it. She isn't a freak of nature. She just took extra care of her body during pregnancy.

People just need to stop being so judgy.

The "freak of nature" comments can also apply to the other end of the weight spectrum. We are all responsible for ourselves and need to stop placing the blame elsewhere.

(Some medical conditions are not considered in this statement)

This is more than taking care of herself while pregnant. Those of us who have been there know how long it takes for a uterus th shrink back to normal size, and it's usually longer than 4 days. And 4 days postpartum, you're still bleeding a lot, not trotting around cute boy shorts or a thong.

Different women are different.

Except when we're all supposed to be the same.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The only reason to be annoyed at something like this is because you feel guilty, and that is not the fault of the person posting the picture.

Perfect reply.

She looks awesome. I don't have her genes so will never look like her but I can (and will) look the best I can be so her ost is very encouraging.

Can't women be annoyed with seeing something like this because it perpetuates an unrealistic standard and not be feeling guilty or jealous?

This woman has every right to be proud of herself and she didn't do anything wrong - and people who are making personal remarks about her husband, if she had a healthy pregnancy, or priorities are just mean spirited. But women, who are constantly told how they should and should not look, can be annoyed that this image, because this woman is, no doubt, the exception to the rule. She gets all these accolades for what is entirely genetic, if this is actually 4 days post. Does that mean this woman can't be proud? HELL NO. She can be. She should be, unless it's fake and then she's doing a world of harm. And yes, it's totally valid to question if this is real because biologically speaking, universally all women take longer to recover. I didn't take longer, my doctor also told me I was basically a freak of nature. So healthy skepticism with that in mind, in the face of a society that tells women we need to be virginal, sex kittens with also telling us we need to be sexy mommies seems TOTALLY logical.

Maybe instead of calling jealousy without thinking, consider that women who don't appreciate this picture as a celebration of ONE women, probably are just annoyed that society as a whole thinks this is what women should look like. And if you don't, you are seen as less than.

The end.

It only perpetuates an unrealistic standard if ignorance is king. I'd rather go the educated route than tell this woman she shouldn't post a picture of herself.

Educate the masses instead of assuming they are too dumb to understand and cope with reality.

The beginning?

It only perpetuates an unrealistic standard if it's not real. If it is real, this is one person's celebration of their experience. Their experience just isn't the norm.

The frustration other people might have of this image might not be jealousy based (as this might be their goal) but frustration with a society that sets this as its standard.

So we should avoid all forms of expression if it's not the norm so we can 'protect' some people from themselves and what they percieve society wants them to do and be?

Yes, let's embrace mediocrity and save everyone any possible annoyance. That's definitely the path we should go down. It's best to ignore the problems of society rather than try to correct them. Band-Aids solve everything. The band-aid in this case being that women with great postpartum bodies should keep to themselves.

:noway:

So, I've been reading this whole thread and I have to jump in here. What you are saying here is not at all what the original poster in the quote was advocating or even how she feels herself.

The woman in the photo looks awesome. Good for her. While I think there are a lot of women out there that are jealous of her, there are others who are not jealous but may still be apprehensive about the photo simply for the fact that it begs a lot of questions and discussion about what a healthy pregnancy and postpartum should look like.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm expecting to bounce back relatively quickly, but I don't know about 4 days quickly, haha. I find this sort of thing motivational, myself. I think it's unseemly how the haters put their insecurities out there, but if that helps them, meh. We all have to get by somehow.