I feel sorry for the new year resolutioners..

Options

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere...to each their own
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    SNIP No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.

+1

+2

That's like pigging out all weekend because you're going to start a diet Monday.

And I'm not saying I wouldn't support them, but you have to make that decision when it's right for you, not just because the calendar says so. And THAT ma'am does not make me narrow minded. I've had a number of failures in my life with weight loss and dieting, but it was my decision to make a change. Like I said, I will NEVER turn away someone who is seeking to better themselves, but if they're already planning to change, why not start now?
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    i think its.silly to wait until the monday or the first. its true holidays are more trying but even if u have a few parties and xmas eve day new yr you still have thr rest of the month to eat healthy n exercise. its not a waste ever.

So if you are following a specific program you think it is stupid to pick a day and say I am going to start here and follow the schedule?!?!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    I started August 13th. Was I too early for my new years resolution? It was a Monday though... wait how do you play this game again? :0)

Wait it was a Tuesday. Guess I lose lol.

Just start. To heck with the date.
  • alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started on January first of last year and actually kept my resolution for once. I've logged every single day for the past 11 months except for the 7 days I was out of the country on vacation. Not all new years resolutioners fail. :)
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere...to each their own

Thank you...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This thread has proved my point exactly.
    Only a handful of decent people here.
    I think on January 1st I will add as many resoulutioners as possible and support them, encourage them and try to keep them going.
    Not going to keep wasting my time on shallow narrow minded people.

You can start or fail any day of the year. If they choose to wait and start at a later date. Good for them. If they wake up one day or are half way through a slice of triple chocolate cake and start right that second. Good for them. Either way, they should be treat the same.

What were you saying about decency and nonjudgemental people?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.

think it's something like 80% will quit the resolutions by march
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The majority of them will fail. That's just a reality. Does that mean they get less support from me? No, but I think someone waiting for a start date to change their life already has the wrong attitude going in.

Yep, this. I believe it might even be a statistical fact.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I started on January first of last year and actually kept my resolution for once. I've logged every single day for the past 11 months except for the 7 days I was out of the country on vacation. Not all new years resolutioners fail. :)

Great job! That's why we said "majority will fail," not all. :flowerforyou:
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think the start date is mental for some people. I started on the 1st of August. I lost some on my own before finding this wonderful site, and I'm at a total of 49 pounds lost. Starting on the 1st, or a Monday, or the second Tuesday of April, or whenever doesn't mean you'll fail, it isn't stupid or ridiculous. So it doesn't fit with your mentality, whatever, to each their own.

Edited to correct auto correct haha
  • ChickenLittle1121
    ChickenLittle1121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is just a general statement, and not a judgement call about anyone:

Perhaps fewer Resolutioners would quit if more of them were getting support from people who are already on their way to achieving their fitness goals. When you're just starting out, this *kitten* is tough. Coming here and seeing so much negativity and lack of faith in their success will probably be more detrimental to their journey than helpful.

It's not the responsibility of this forum to ensure all newbies succeed 100% of the time, but being more encouraging -- and less sure they won't stick around -- might help.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here seem to be expecting them all to fail! Surely you should cut out your judgmental horrible personalities and support anyone who joins here, anyone who succeeds or fails. When they came here their ambition was to succeed afterall!

While I am sire that you think that your 9 posts here qualifies you to take the moral high ground, some of us actually dedicate dozens of hours per week helping people around here.

So unless you're willing to educate yourself and share that knowledge with others on a regular basis, you've no room to judge others.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here seem to be expecting them all to fail! Surely you should cut out your judgmental horrible personalities and support anyone who joins here, anyone who succeeds or fails. When they came here their ambition was to succeed afterall!

While I am sire that you think that your 9 posts here qualifies you to take the moral high ground, some of us actually dedicate dozens of hours per week helping people around here.

So unless you're willing to educate yourself and share that knowledge with others on a regular basis, you've no room to judge others.

tumblr_ll56srE8Op1qcrkylo1_500.gif
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Perhaps fewer Resolutioners would quit if more of them were getting support from people who are already on their way to achieving their fitness goals. When you're just starting out, this *kitten* is tough. Coming here and seeing so much negativity and lack of faith in their success will probably be more detrimental to their journey than helpful.

It's not the responsibility of this forum to ensure all newbies succeed 100% of the time, but being more encouraging -- and less sure they won't stick around -- might help.

if one is going to quit because of a few negative nobodies from the internet then you, pardon my pun, question his/her resolution in the first place.

yes support is great, but in the end the person going to keep you on your path is you.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is the fact that new people show and fall into a couple of categories

1- show up eager to learn and listen to advice and search and generally stay and do well

2- show up with a fad diet and refuse to listen to anything else (yeah but, i was told to soak my left hand and i'll lose weight, your wrong)

3- those that just fizzle out after a while because they aren't really ready yet.

(i'm sure there is more, but those seem like the main ones)

and honestly, I do feel bad for all those that start on the first, they begin fresh with an under equipped gym, over crowded with newbies that don't understand etiquette, can't take the time to ask questions, or learn what works, they are crammed in and rushed through... the deck is stacked against them from the start, they get frustrated quickly and quit.

/just my 2cals
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I will be restarting with a new account...

Step 1 is admission - starting with a new account is the exact opposite of this.

Anyway, good luck to you...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Perhaps fewer Resolutioners would quit if more of them were getting support from people who are already on their way to achieving their fitness goals.

Maintaining an attitude of "it's their fault!" is a great way to ensure continued failure.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

I would highly recommend checking out a thread where the OP is actually receptive and willing to take the advice they are asking for. It is a very different situation than when someone posts a thread asking for opinions on a ludicrous diet or practice and gets upset when the responses are rightfully less than positive. But, again, it's hard to know this when you are not active in the community or offering any of the "support" you lament no one provides.
  • ChickenLittle1121
    ChickenLittle1121 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

if one is going to quit because of a few negative nobodies from the internet then you, pardon my pun, question his/her resolution in the first place.

yes support is great, but in the end the person going to keep you on your path is you.

Like I said, it's not the responsibility of this forum to make sure a newbie succeeds. That is ultimately up to them. But, encouragement never hurts, and can oftentimes help when someone is struggling. And I don't feel like saying that is question their resolution at all. We all need encouragement sometimes *shrug*