I feel sorry for the new year resolutioners..

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If this is an argument over the most often misused word on MFP...it's bacon. It should be chocolate getting all that attention.

Bacon-Bark-427x350.png

Wanna share?

edit: dangit - image shows up too large. Right-click, view image, please.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Mweh I must admit I don't believe so much in those new year resolutions either and never do so myself, but with that being said my husband stopped smoking on January the first this year and he still doesn't smoke, so you can't say all fail...
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    The best new years resolution a newbie can have is to get a workout buddy... someone holding you accountable and depending on you is the best way to stick with it. There have been days that I've wanted to just veg out on the couch, but I know that my friend will be at the gym waiting on me, so I make myself go for her. And I'm sure that I motivate her on days that she feels lazy, too. Now it's our routine and we are still helping eachother... plus it's so much more fun working out with someone! Fun = not quitting
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Being a lurker and watching the advice given even though most wasn't taken from the original poster, I learned a lot and I thank all of you judgmental mean people cause you have shown me that I can eat good food, not starve and be miserable and lose weight!
    A lot of us write posts specifically because we know many lurkers will read it and benefit from it, even though (or especially when) the OP of a thread is already obviously a lost cause.

And us lurkers thank you for it. I knew almost nothing about calories and nutrition till I snooped around on the boards and listened to the so-called 'mean' people.

Regarding the OP. To me there's a difference between the people who decide on or close to New Years that they'd like to meet some goal and those who decide in November but postpone their start date to January 1st (or insert arbitrary date) for some lame reason like I won't have internet, I've got too many commitments, I'm a 'planner'... (all from OP by the way)

They might both be classed as resolutioners but the former takes advantage of New Years as a good time to make a change whilst the latter views getting fitter/healthier as something to be done when it's convenient for them and, as a result, rarely follow through.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hey look, I started in January 2013 too!

Guess what, judgmental MFPers...most people who start diets fail, not only the ones who start on January 1. Be supportive or shut up. This place really is like middle school sometimes.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Mweh I must admit I don't believe so much in those new year resolutions either and never do so myself, but with that being said my husband stopped smoking on January the first this year and he still doesn't smoke, so you can't say all fail...

No one has said ALL. The MAJORITY do.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If this is an argument over the most often misused word on MFP...it's bacon. It should be chocolate getting all that attention.

Bacon-Bark-427x350.png

Wanna share?

edit: dangit - image shows up too large. Right-click, view image, please.

Oh no honey, I see it and the answer is YES! A resounding and applauding jumping up and down, yes! I just feel like it could use some nuts, tho?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Guess what, judgmental MFPers...most people who start diets fail, not only the ones who start on January 1. Be supportive or shut up. This place really is like middle school sometimes.

So we can't have a conversation about the statistical fact that the majority of resolutioners don't stay with it?
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am not going to judge anybodies motivation. I does work for some. And perhaps for those finding MFP, they will be able to make their resolutions come true. An easy way to track and understand your calories really is significant.

Also I understand some folks need a certain amount of 'ceremony' for key events in their life. For example graduation, getting married, temple/worship, birthdays, etc. So how is the New Year's ceremony of making resolutions any lesson valid for life changes?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Because that's a mature thing to say...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

That's not a very supportive thing to say.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I started last January 1st and this January 1st will be my anniversary/MFP birthday, etc. My year has entailed a 25 lbs weight loss in the first few months as I learned what my body can do physically and what I can handle eating or giving up. (Turns out nothing...lol) That loss was followed by a maintenance of that loss that lasted several months. Then I got caulky and a little rebellious. I was fully aware when I was putting the weight back on and why, that was in the fall when some pretty big and stressful changes rather than fix my life put us in a bigger whirlwind than I expected and my attitude towards this suffered greatly. I am still aware of why I regained and how, just unsure how to stay focused and back to losing again. I hope the answer will come to me and I stayed logged on that whole time and January 1st this year when my update says I have logged on for 365 days that will be to me a victory in itself. Staying here has enabled me to notice my regain faster, and correct it quicker as well as gaining the new knowledge which I've garnered from some of the supposedly "mean"-est members on MFP, the knowledge of how to reassess my cal goals during this opportunity after experiencing some higher cal no logging days. I was logging from cell phones, other people's computers, etc. during a hectic move that had unexpected consequences not the least of which was unable to log foods even when logged on due to phone incompatibilty, but I stayed the course.

Keeping with it is not entirely correlated positively with losing the weight steadily or reaching one's goals. New goals emerge as new information is presented and synthesized. A person who shows up wanting to lose 50 LBS BY SUMMMER VACATION OR BUST!!!!!!!!! might easily be convinced that upon reflection their real goal is strength, or stamina, or general better eating, or less binge-ing, or recognition of some unhealthy food relationship. There are as many ways to succeed on this site as there are people and that in no way implies that there are unique special snowflakes who's bodies are so different, except for those with medical issues whether known or not. It only implies that people's goals can become fluid as they learn and play off one another and even though I have not achieved my original GET SKINNY AND FASSSSSTTTTT Goal, I have achieved a much more important and never foreseen personal one of living an entire year never in one moment of denial or delusion about my weight or eating or activity levels. This is so valuable to me as I said time is a commodity and as you get older even more so and it matters not one iota to me that I started on a certain day and some people believe that might have predicted what might appear to them to be a "failure" on my part. That's as ridiculous as the idea that a magical start date will make the change for you. It has no magic either way. It's just an easy day to remember and count on and mark the time.

It matters to me that my life has changed in ways I can't really describe but I can definitely feel and there is no turning back. Now I know my body, self, eating habits, and what sincerely works, even though I had dieted successfully in the past. But previously a regain like I experienced would have been noticed much later, been much larger and taken much longer to recover from. That is what my year has given me. Time. Shortened get back on the wagon time. One glitch in the autumn that undid some of my weight loss cannot undo that.

(Because I could easily give up. I could easily read some of the upthread posts and consider myself a failure. I could easily agree that it was that pesky Jan.1 start date, or my mentality in choosing that... But why? Why let anyone on the internet, friend or stranger, informed or not, compadre or frenemy or straight out enemy decide my life for me?)

I'm going to wish everyone good luck in their journey but not be judgmental of those who have been here way longer and way more than me and have seen it all to the point of eye rolling. I'm just going to do my part to make people feel welcome and eager to learn and if they take it or leave it when the people who know more inform them, that's their personal place in life and mentality and may the chips fall where they may. It's not my job to MAKE them listen any more than it's my job to MAKE someone else use a certain tone when informing. Every man for himself. The info is there, if you want it bad enough. It's yours for the taking. Whenever you're ready.

QFT
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Be supportive or shut up.
    Support is for bras and jocks
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    That's not true. 2 years ago I was one of them...

^^This.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I was a "Monday start date" dieter for years, before it clicked that I needed to do something differently. BUT, I, like most people, had to see what didn't work before I found what DID work for me. Last spring, something "clicked," and I've been understanding what it takes to achieve actual results since then. I learn more with each passing day, and one day, I'll be a fitness nut. I know it. I'm just not "there," yet...but the seed is planted in my mind, and that's how I baby-stepped 35 +/- lbs. off. So many people like to act like they've always been "right" in group support settings. In many cases, it's not a very supportive attitude to have.

However, on the flip side, some of us become more driven when we're told we can't do something, too..."Know why? Because 'F---' them. That's why." :bigsmile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

Why the hell do so many people care about what other people are doing? Shut the hell up, put you head down and worry about your own ****.

If people spent half as much time worrying about themselves as they do worrying about others, this country wouldn't have half the problems its got.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    read the first few replies...left me thinking..poor you people having to rely on a gym...have you never heard of the "great out doors", <sigh>
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

Why the hell do so many people care about what other people are doing? Shut the hell up, put you head down and worry about your own ****.

If people spent half as much time worrying about themselves as they do worrying about others, this country wouldn't have half the problems its got.

But, I care so much. I can't help it, I want to heal the world. :sad: I care so, so much about what everyone is doing. It's so sad, and I care so much. It's all I can think about day and night. I stay awake at night trying to solve this problem. I care so, so much.

I know you care about me. Don't even try to lie. :wink: