Santa!?!?! I hate the lie!

Options

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Sometimes being a good parent means lying to them.

My kids still believe. I love that Christmas is magical to them. Believing in santa doesn't mean you don’t teach them the meaning of Christmas though.

Another crock!

Love = honesty

Disagree! There are adult things that children should NOT be exposed to. I believe lying is at times necessary to protect them.
    There are times to withhold detales but I feel there is never a Reason to lie.
  • lizfreakinm
    lizfreakinm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I seriously love this!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I was raised a jehovah's witness so i never celebrated. (Dont feel bad, my parents picked a suprise day each year and we would come home from school to a room full of presents, so we still got to unwrap gifts and whatnot). The only thing that really bothers me about xmas is people celebrate the christs bday. Its not his birthday. How would you like if your closest friends celebrated your birthday on a completely opposite month and day that you were born? I do understand the spirit behind the holiday, its about giving and spending time with family, and for some its the only time of year they get time off to see their family.

I dont believe in lying to kids about santa nowadays because it gives a chance for real life burglars to dress up in a red suit and break in to the house. People are sick nowadays. Plus santa is kind of creepy. Some old dude that breaks in to your house and eats your food? Aand if you werent on top behavior hes going to do all that and leave you a freaking lump of coal? Heck no techno! But to each their own, thats just my $.02

To be honest, I could care less what day it's celebrated on as long as it's celebrated. :flowerforyou:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

My kids still believe. I love that Christmas is magical to them. Believing in santa doesn't mean you don’t teach them the meaning of Christmas though.
    I will never agree with that!

You are in for a tough road ahead then.

Nope, not so tough. My kids are nearly grown, and have told us that they love the fact that they can know that we will always be honest with them. I feel sorry for kids whose parents lie to them for their own convenience. Screw that.

Our teens have an open and honest relationship. Since we have always been honest with them, they are free now to be honest with us, even on tough issues like sex/drugs. Being a liar is no good for long term relationships.

Let's be clear, I said protecting children from the truth isn't necessarily lying.

Let me ask you this....

If your parents would have gotten divorced when you were 3 years old cause your dad banged his secretary, and you asked your mother why they got divorced. Would you expect them to tell you "Because daddy banged the secretary?"
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mecsano46Z1qkzgk2o1_500.gif
    if he wasn't real, why would Buddy be torturing himself like this??? \m/
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I will never agree with that!

You don't have to.

When I lost a pregnancy we didn't give the whole truth. When grandma died a horrible death from cancer, I said she went peacefully. When my nephew died at 4mo we made up some bs answer as to why.

I do this from time to time with non sad stuff too. Like when I eat their ice cream, I blame their dad.

Sometimes I tell them lies. I'm okay with it.

ETA: 4 kids. 10, 8, 3, 2 and I'm 33.

I wonder how they will deal with your lies when they are teenagers.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The broad, sweeping generalizations on here make me sad. Lighten up, people! And parent your kids the way you want as long as they don't ruin the fun for everyone else.

I love the idea of Santa. I loved it as a kid and I still love it today. I wasn't traumatized when I found out the truth although after reading the thread it sounds like some people really had some issues there.

My parents were awesome about Santa and we focused more on making cookies to leave out with milk then we did on the actual presents. Being able to imagine and believe in a fairy tale was really fun for me - I can't imagine not having that experience as a child.

And yes, I went to church and learned all that stuff too.

And no, Christmas is not about presents to me. In fact, it's just the opposite.
  • lizfreakinm
    lizfreakinm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better to tell him the truth then do so. Stand by your convictions as a parent. However, make sure he also understands that there are kids out there that do believe and that it's not ok to make fun of them or take it away from them.

Growing up, my parents never told us santa wasn't real. We just figured it out. Even after my sisters and I caught on, my parents still played santa every year. It became a fun tradition and a good way for my parents to sleep in! Santa left un wrapped gifts out for us in a little pile on the couch or chair. My sisters and I would wake early and sort through all of our santa gifts (usually one "big" gift then smaller things like hair ties or callendars). Even when I went off to college my parents continued with santa, and my sisters and I would leave beer and pretzles for dad rather than milk and cookies :)

Now that I have kids, I enjoy seeing their imaginations grow. Santa can be an excellent learning tool to talk about giving and being kind to others. My daughter is 8 and kids her age are figuring it out, but she hasn't asked if he is real or not. If she does I plan on reading her this letter another mom wrote to her daughter:

Dear Lucy,

Thank you for your letter. You asked a very good question: “Are you Santa?”

I know you’ve wanted the answer to this question for a long time, and I’ve had to give it careful thought to know just what to say.

The answer is no. I am not Santa. There is no one Santa.

I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Daddy helps, too.)

I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.

This won’t make you Santa, though.

Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.

It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you can’t measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.

Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he’s filled with joy.

With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.

So, no. I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. I’m on his team, and now you are, too.

I love you and I always will.

Mama

Woops! I meant I seriously love this post lol
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    God, life is too short! Just have some fun. Don't take everything so damn seriously... We have this stupid elf thing in our house, we move it around and my 5 and 6 year old are in love with this damn thing. I think my daughter pretty much knows it doesn't move on its own, but man they are excited to see where it ends up. Lighten the hell up.. If you really don't want to lie to them how about on Christmas eve you sit them down and fill them in on religion, war, famine, genocide, at least you wouldn't be lying to them. People are such buzzkills!
    So the "other" option from telling him that Santa is real is to "fill them in on religion, war, famine, genocide, at least you wouldn't be lying to them"??? Who needs to lighten up?

I think you completely missed the point.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Tell him the truth. My mom did, and I learned to appreciate Christmas for the family time and spirit of generosity. I'm going to do the same for mine.

So true! My kids understand and appreciate Christmas, whereas the ones that get told the Santa lie, end up believing that Christmas is all about presents.
    This is a horrible thing to say. and not true.

It's horrible to equate Christmas with giving presents. It's also horrible to lie to your loved ones because it's "entertaining" or whatever.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    What is this, www.newmoms.com?

Raise your kids however you want, they are still going to end up in the fast food business.
  • PRMinx
    Options

I've told them the variety of reasons people celebrate at Christmas (Hanukkah)

Some years, Chanukah isn't even clsoe to Christmas.

Anyway, it isn't about ruining a holiday for your kids. It's about limiting their imaginations.
    Gonna need to see studies on this, or are you touting opinion as fact?

Wow. Just...wow.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options

I've told them the variety of reasons people celebrate at Christmas (Hanukkah)

Some years, Chanukah isn't even clsoe to Christmas.

Anyway, it isn't about ruining a holiday for your kids. It's about limiting their imaginations.
    Gonna need to see studies on this, or are you touting opinion as fact?

Do you not allow him to watch other Make- Believe shows?, Cartoons, Fictional Movies? They figure it out by themselves. Allowing then to use their imagination is an important skill. How do you think we got the car, wheel, plane, or pretty much any other modern tech? Someone had to imagine it first in order to make it a reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    OP, you say you hate the lie. You have never like to your kids before? Some lies are necessary. (not saying this is necessary, but no need to feel guilty over it)

The lie of Santa is a gift to children! It's magical. Sure you can say it's about baby Jesus and a star and whatever else, I'm not very educated on the non Santa part of Christmas, but kids deserve the magic of Santa.

When I found out Santa was fake I wasn't made at my mom for lying, I even pretended to still believe for years just to not hurt her feelings.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Tell him the truth. My mom did, and I learned to appreciate Christmas for the family time and spirit of generosity. I'm going to do the same for mine.

So true! My kids understand and appreciate Christmas, whereas the ones that get told the Santa lie, end up believing that Christmas is all about presents.

It's horrible to equate Christmas with giving presents. It's also horrible to lie to your loved ones because it's "entertaining" or whatever.

Deep breath...it's all going to be ok.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Is that so?

That has been my observations over the years. My kids are now observing the same with their classmates in high school.

Gimme, gimme, mine, mine...
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Right, because only kids who don't believe in Santa are generous, loving, and understand that the spirit of Christmas is about family and giving. God my kids are awful little brats who embarass me with their greed.

Honestly it doesn't matter whether you use santa in your celebration, but lets not throw around sweeping generalizations about those of us who do.

*clap clap clap*
    :drinker:

I too have a very selfish 9yo little girl who LOVES Santa, but also wants to donate to the children shelter, use her own money for Toys for Tots, and send care package to Troops. Sad mommy right here. //saracasm
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    What is this, www.newmoms.com?

Raise your kids however you want, they are still going to end up in the fast food business.
    Chit chat section if you don't like it get out. Shrug*
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    There's some hilariously high horsed, self important sanctimonious stuff on here.
    In just to continue reading.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Christmas is about presents. Are you new?