Santa!?!?! I hate the lie!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Who gives a f*@k???? Each to their own. Do what you want to do.

QFT

Stop attacking people for their beliefs, and we won't feel the need to attack back in defense of our choices!

LOL. What the pro-santa people have been saying is that Santa is good for the imagination and that it's fun fairytale and to lighten up a bit.

What you have been saying is this:

1. Parents who let their kids believe in Santa are liars and inherently dishonest.
    2. Children who celebrate with Santa are bound to be selfish, spoiled brats who only want gifts.

And I'm not even going to get into your marriage insinuation which was insulting, rude and completely uncalled for.

What sounds more like an attack to you?

You have the right to your opinion. That right stops where the rights of others begins. :flowerforyou:

I'm pretty sure I didn't attack anyone, insult anyone, or tell anyone how to live their lives.

Not that I've noticed, so why lump yourself in with Annoying Atheists if you are respectful of the beliefs of others?

Perhaps the problem you are having is that you are so quick to respond and "be right" that you aren't even really reading what people are posting. You've got the wrong person here. I haven't said a word about Atheists, Christians, Pagans, etc. nor would I.
    Besides, the only thing Atheists believe in is being sanctimoniously condescending.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

And calling it "the Santa Myth" is incredibly insulting and condescending.

It is a myth. There's no way around it. No one, except for children who haven't figured out that they are being lied to, believe it. Everyone of an age of reason knows that it is false. That is a myth.

Then you should put "myth" at the end of every fictional book and movie title.

That's just silly.
    No more silly than saying "the Santa Myth."

Why is it necessary to call it that? Because she's purposely being insulting and condescending.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My parents told my brother and I at a very young age. They told us not to ruin it for our friends and classmates, but explained the real meaning of Christmas. I don't feel like I missed out on anything. We still celebrated and had traditions. I still had a fantastic imagination. I don't think there is harm in either way.

This... make sure if your son knows that Santa isn't real that he doesn't ruin it for other kids whose parents enjoy the tradition of Santa. I like the tradtiion and if someone told my son it was a lie, I'd be livid!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

speaking as a child who was "lied to" about Santa... it didn't make me mistrust my parents or any of those things mentioned in the thread. I could understand it was just a bit of fun that parents tell their kids. Yes even at age 6 I could understand that, without adults explaining it to me.

For me, it was extremely painful to realize Santa wasn't true. I had a really, really ****ty childhood, and god, jesus, nor the church members I went to for help, bothered to help me. My last ditch string of hope was that santa was real, and he could see that I was a nice kid who didn't deserve the hellish life I had. When I realized that santa really wasn't real, it really sunk in that I was completely alone in the world, that no one was going to help me, that no one was going to come save me.

I felt the same thing when I finally rejected the christian myth as well.

So, does it color my perception on whether we should perpetuate the lie? Yes, it does. It also makes me feel that false hope, not matter how well-intentioned, is detrimental. Believing in any of these false gods is detrimental, because NOTHING supernatural is going to come to your aid, no matter how good of a person you are. If you don't expect a god to rescue you, you can devote your time to actually making the world a better place.
    You had a crappy childhood so no one else should have any fun?

No, but it is a helpful perspective and that is what I asked for, perspective.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options

speaking as a child who was "lied to" about Santa... it didn't make me mistrust my parents or any of those things mentioned in the thread. I could understand it was just a bit of fun that parents tell their kids. Yes even at age 6 I could understand that, without adults explaining it to me.

For me, it was extremely painful to realize Santa wasn't true. I had a really, really ****ty childhood, and god, jesus, nor the church members I went to for help, bothered to help me. My last ditch string of hope was that santa was real, and he could see that I was a nice kid who didn't deserve the hellish life I had. When I realized that santa really wasn't real, it really sunk in that I was completely alone in the world, that no one was going to help me, that no one was going to come save me.

So, does it color my perception on whether we should perpetuate the lie? Yes, it does. It also makes me feel that false hope, not matter how well-intentioned, is detrimental. Believing in any of these false gods is detrimental, because NOTHING supernatural is going to come to your aid, no matter how good of a person you are. If you don't expect a god to rescue you, you can devote your time to actually making the world a better place.

Yes, that is exactly what I said. You get an A+ for reading comprehension.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It is a myth. There's no way around it. No one, except for children who haven't figured out that they are being lied to, believe it. Everyone of an age of reason knows that it is false. That is a myth.

Not all fiction rises to the level of myth.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I believed the same way with my kids until my daughter burst into tears at age 3 and said "why does Santa not like us and skip our house?" You can't avoid the media and those around that insist on telling your kids that He is real.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Not going to join this ridiculous debate besides providing these quotes.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

― Albert Einstein

'If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.'

—Albert Einstein

He also said,
    "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." ― Albert Einstein
    :happy:
  • rml_16
    Options

Yes, that is exactly what I said. You get an A+ for reading comprehension.
    Grow up.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Just tell him the truth. If I was a parent, I probably wouldn't do the whole Santa thing. I would tell them it's a story. Everyone has their own choice.

Liberal.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

its called fiction myth would be redundant.
    So "fiction" must be in the title of every fictional book and movie?
    It is filed in that section so there is no confusion.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Oh come on now. There are many different parenting styles. I learned this when I taught parenting classes. *stop laughing* :wink: I learned so much from those parents. What a blessing!

I think that sometimes we (probably meaning me) tend to over think our (my) decisions when it comes to parenting. I worried over the years while raising my children over just about every thing. Heck, I worry about my grandchildren, too.

One of my points is that we all want the best for our children. We try our best in making decisions about our parenting choices. There are pros and cons to all of our decisions. Sometimes we have to trust the process and hope for the best.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Am I a bad mom because I don't want to perpetuate this myth?

Thoughts please.
    Yes. The innocence of youth is gone earlier and earlier every year. Why steal the magic from them any earlier than necessary?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Who gives a f*@k???? Each to their own. Do what you want to do.

QFT

Stop attacking people for their beliefs, and we won't feel the need to attack back in defense of our choices!

LOL. What the pro-santa people have been saying is that Santa is good for the imagination and that it's fun fairytale and to lighten up a bit.

What you have been saying is this:

1. Parents who let their kids believe in Santa are liars and inherently dishonest.
    2. Children who celebrate with Santa are bound to be selfish, spoiled brats who only want gifts.

And I'm not even going to get into your marriage insinuation which was insulting, rude and completely uncalled for.

What sounds more like an attack to you?

You have the right to your opinion. That right stops where the rights of others begins. :flowerforyou:

I'm pretty sure I didn't attack anyone, insult anyone, or tell anyone how to live their lives.

Not that I've noticed, so why lump yourself in with Annoying Atheists if you are respectful of the beliefs of others?

Perhaps the problem you are having is that you are so quick to respond and "be right" that you aren't even really reading what people are posting. You've got the wrong person here. I haven't said a word about Atheists, Christians, Pagans, etc. nor would I.

No, I was comparing my actions in this thread to that of an annoying atheist, not a respectful atheist, but an annoying one. I know full well that I have been annoying in this thread. :wink: :smokin:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I love how everyone is saying its about a childs imagination, and probably will be buying them a ps4 or other electronic play system for xmas. If you want a child to have a child-like imagination, you dont have to do it with a lie you can just give them a box and tell them to play outside. We didnt celebrate xmas and I had a wild imagination as a child, but I was only allowed to play the nintendo for a hour, and my bro sis and I had to split the hour umongst us. Since I was the baby I got a good 5-10 mins worth of play time haha

Oh you poor thing. Only an hour on the Nintendo? We didn't own video games (ever) or get basic cable on our single 20 inch tv until I was about 14. Do I get a prize?

We had a 13-inch. black and white TV until I was in eigth grade and no cable until I was an adult. And no video games even now (except that unused Wii I mentioned earlier, but we've only had that a couple months).

I win. :-)

*Gives you the prize*. I have the deluxe sports bundle for my 42" now, and a Wii and Xbox.
  • rml_16
    Options

its called fiction myth would be redundant.
    So "fiction" must be in the title of every fictional book and movie?
    It is filed in that section so there is no confusion.
    What if it's misplaced within the book store or library? What if someone accidentally finds a copy of Lolita in the non-fiction section?
  • I wasn't disappointed when I learned Santa wasn't real....my daughter is learning that truth now and she isn't disappointed either....

it came naturally...just a sudden realisation that the magic wasn't as literal as I thought it was when I was younger...

he believes in magic now...why rip that from him....
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Besides, the only thing Atheists believe in is being sanctimoniously condescending.

:laugh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Where's the kitteh gifs when you need them? I think the discussion part of this thread is done!

Edited for grammar.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options

That's just silly.
    No more silly than saying "the Santa Myth."

Why is it necessary to call it that? Because she's purposely being insulting and condescending.

Because Santa is being taught as true, not as fiction. This entire thread is about whether children should be told that Santa is REAL, or not.

A lot of things that are parodies are labeled as parodies, movies have disclaimers that say the events are fictional and any similarities to persons living or dead is unintentional, and the fiction section of the book store is labeled as fiction.

Children are told, but adults they trust, that santa is real. They lack the cognitive development to discern the lie, until they are several years older. It is a lie.