Fast Food Workers Striking?!?!?

Options

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just did the math and at a full 40 hours a week at $7.50/hour if you're a single person and need a 1 bedroom apartment, you can live off that no problem.
    Not sure where you live but a one bedroom apartment here is anywhere between 1000-1800 dollars a month (admittedly I live in one of those areas with a ridiculously high cost of living). If you're making ~15,000 a year you're hardly covering rent alone.

I got a very nice apartment for $425/month all utilities but electric and phone were included. My electric bill was never higher than $20/month and my phone was a cell phone for $30/month. It wasn't large by any means but it was me and my son. No cable, no internet.

I pay $600 for a small one bedroom, no heat or lights in a bad neighbor hood. You've got it made. You have no right to complain about what others are being paid and that they should be able to afford necessities on $7.50/hr.

Did I say I was living there now? No. I was living there when I was making $9/hour with a kid and making ends meet. I thankfully wasn't paying daycare but I did have to pay for diapers and wipes and laundry and I made it work. No, you don't have the kind of money to go out to eat or go have a drink or pay a babysitter so you can go out with friends or go out and buy a steak but you make it work. I'm not going to say how much I make now but I will say it's not much more and I have 2 kids and rent that's $200 more and a baby daddy that ran out and can't be found to pay support and because it's a bigger place a bigger electric bill and daycare costs now. I'm still doing it on my own with my job because I went out and found one that's paying more. I don't know where some of you are living that say no one is hiring because there's always a company looking to get rid of someone if the right person comes along. It doesn't hurt to try.

What do you consider "trying?" For 4 months I filled out every single application and handed out every single resume I had to companies that weren't even hiring. In many places the front desk staff came to know me personally. And yet I still ended up in a retail position. There literally were and still are very very very jobs here.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    [/quote]

Every single person I have ever known to work in fast food was there because they were a jackhole and chose to be there. [/quote]

That may be my favorite quote of the day :)
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Time to tick someone off.

Irritates me a little they are striking. Fast food has always been known as a minimum wage job. That is why it use to always be high school students working it when in school. It is not meant to be a career job. All these people complaining about not making enough AT A FAST FOOD place should be happy they even have a job because there are tons of unemployed people who would take their job OR they should try to get a better job and better themselves rather then working a brainless job and going nowhere but complaining.

On the news today i saw a lady who said she needed more money because she was a single mom working at McDonalds. While I respect single parents and their struggles to support their kids. But she needed more money because she was a single mom and pregnant with #2. Seriously if you are already having money problems......USE PROTECTION why be dumb and have a second kid if you are not making ends meet financially. Reminds of the movie Idiocracy.

Oh boy. I love when the "don't have kids if you're poor" argument comes up.

While you may not like it, it is true. Our welfare problem wouldn't be near as bad if people weren't rewarded for bad behavior. Wht should we, as tax payers, have to support someones poor choices???? They have the choice not to have sex, or at the very least use protection!!

The problem with it is that it's just another cognitive trick to blame the poor person. The argument just lets the person blow off what the real issues are, and the real issues are that the system is staggeringly unfair.

They system is what it is. The problem is that people who not live beyond their means. If they can not afford kids then do not have them. Just the same with a person who is well off but has a shopping addiction and building up debt. Just do not live beyond means. How is it a cognitive trick? I would really like to know how the system is unfair. In college i lived in poor neighborhood and all my neighbors were on welfare and food stamps. None of them worked and all sat on *kitten* while collecting free money. One neighbor would come over and smoke weed with my roomates all the time. he always had weed. On my birthday he offered my and 1/8th as a present. So tell me how is the system really unfair? BTW they had 4 kids because they got more money for each kid they had on welfare.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Something I'm amused about in this thread. The lack of logic. People working in fast food at minimum wage can't afford to even support themselves and their family. So what's the solution being suggested? Get an education. Yes, because people who can't afford to pay rent can certainly afford the thousands of dollars it takes to go to college.

tigerpalm.jpg

You are obviously unaware of how much assistance is available, and how easy it is to get, for education. Student loans are no problem if you don't qualify for anything else.

And you are obviously unaware of how common it is to rack up thousands in student loan debt and STILL be unable to find a job that pays well. And I'm not just talking about the degrees that are essentially useless, either.

There is a lot to be said about being diligent with your choices, researching market demand, and picking a degree with high demand and forecasted growth.

And I agree wholeheartedly with that. But not every person is suited for the jobs that are in demand. I hate math, for example, so engineering and finance (two jobs that are conceivably always in demand) are not something I could/would pursue. Does that mean I should be regulated to fast food/hospitality? Of course not. I researched my degree and the required further education (MS,PhD etc) needed to get the job I want. I'm not in it for the money, necessarily. I just want a job that I actually enjoy and feel useful in doing. Both parents work at jobs they despise so that their kids wouldn't have to. Spoiler alert: they both currently do. My brother recently graduated from his sheet metal apprenticeship and makes as much as my husband, who is a pharmacist. The only difference is that one of them is 150 grand in debt and the other isn't.

So the implication is that your husband shouldn't have pursued pharmacy, a field that is absolutely critical, because it took hard work and money?

I hate math too, shucks not many people love it. But I'm decently good at it and understand that working in the engineering industry puts my talents in the best possible arena to help people. If I could make as much flipping burgers as I could as an engineer, would I bail on engineering because it was easier? Absolutely not.

Just mah $0.02 :flowerforyou:

That wasn't the implication at all! The point of my response is that some people don't have the aptitude for the jobs currently in demand, so they don't pursue an education in those fields.

My husby pursued pharmacy because he loves it, and has the intelligence/skill set/drive to. My brother got his apprenticeship because he's good at whatever it is tin knockers do all day (sadly, I really don't know the intricacies of the different categories of apprenticeship). Both fields require years of work to achieve anything in. In fact, they took about the same amount of time.

*I* don't pursue a career in engineering because I just don't have the aptitude for it. Trust me, I'm the LAST person you want designing a bridge you have to drive over.

It's not at ALL about what's easier, but what you have the aptitude for.

Kudos on your career in engineering, btw :flowerforyou:
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    read anything by John R. Commons:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Commons
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    images.jpg

No I didn't know you were being sarcastic. Because this is the internet and I can't hear the tone of your voice. Nothing in your post would lead anyone to think you were being sarcastic.

So how about you just admit you have nothing to back up your words and are using the "I was just being sarcastic" cop out to weasel out of the what you've said?

Moving on to the next bad argument...

Really... saying people should be taken off assistance and left to die by a harsh winter wasn't an enough give away... I guess I will weasel out now because I can't out crazy someone who is think that is a normal statement to make.

This reply wasn't sarcasm, I'm simple impressed but how little humanity you can view in others.

/weaselout
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    $15/hr to ask "Do you want fries with that?" Um, no.

That is the entitlement mentality. The thing that gets me is that there are jobs out there. The problem is no one wants them. They'd rather sit on their *kitten* with their hands out and let the government take care of them. Here there are a bunch of people who should be happy to be employed regardless of whether or not they're getting paid minimum wage and they want to strike for more money?

Waitresses get paid less than minimum wage and rely on their tips. How many waitresses have ever gone on strike and demanded higher wages? Last I checked none.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I just did the math and at a full 40 hours a week at $7.50/hour if you're a single person and need a 1 bedroom apartment, you can live off that no problem.
    Not sure where you live but a one bedroom apartment here is anywhere between 1000-1800 dollars a month (admittedly I live in one of those areas with a ridiculously high cost of living). If you're making ~15,000 a year you're hardly covering rent alone.

I got a very nice apartment for $425/month all utilities but electric and phone were included. My electric bill was never higher than $20/month and my phone was a cell phone for $30/month. It wasn't large by any means but it was me and my son. No cable, no internet.

Very nice apartment for 425??? in America? with electric and phone? Are you sure you don't mean a room in a nice apartment and not a whole apartment?

A very nice (small but nice) one bedroom apartment without electric or phone. Yes, this was my place. I guess everyone's definition of "nice" differs but it had a lock on the door, a kitchen (no room for a dining room table), a large linen closet, a small bathroom, and a bedroom. It was all I needed.
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    Really... saying people should be taken off assistance and left to die by a harsh winter wasn't an enough give away... I guess I will weasel out now because I can't out crazy someone who is think that is a normal statement to make.

This reply wasn't sarcasm, I'm simple impressed but how little humanity you can view in others.

/weaselout

Poe's law, my man. Poe's law. Why would I think you were exaggerating when so many other posters are saying the same thing? "If you're poor shut up and starve. No public assistance and you're not allowed to even ask for a raise. You're a jackhole who should be thankful for the scraps you're given." All of this has been said in the thread by people who honestly mean it.
  • gmhaggie06
    Options
    Does anyone complaining about this have a rudimentary understanding of economics or human resources? Jobs pay what they're valued at. If McDonald's doesn't think you're worth $15/hr, you're not worth $15/hr, if these people are worth $15 why don't they go find a job that pays them $15/hr?? Because they can't, minimum effort, minimum education, minimum motivation get you minimum wage. Instead we say "golly this person wants to make $15/hr, why don't we just MAKE mcDonald's pay them $15/hr? even though they're not worth it"....then McDonald's fires all of their worker except for a few cooks and a manager, and replaces them with robots and then we get to hear about "greedy big business replacing humans with machines" Honestly I swear, read a book sometime! I recommend Atlas Shrugs or Wealth of Nations.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Fast Food is not a job for someone to live off of. People should use it as means to find a better job and leave it to part time workers like high school students and college students.

There is an increase in the amount of unskilled adult labor force with the number of trade and manufacture jobs lost, some college graduates coming out with no marketable skills, and general lack of education. I would venture to say that what was once though of as a high school summer job is no longer the case. Next time you go into your local fast food take notice of the people behind the counter. Where I live there are many immigrants poor english speaking usually older adults, there are some townies hired most didnt finish high shcool all have children, and occasionally I'll see a teen behind the counter.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The biggest part of running a business is the labor cost. Artificially raising minimum wage will drive the product cost up. Give them $15 an hour and the price of anything they sell will double as well. 0 sum gain. Go to school and get a better job. If you only work a min. wage job you probably qualify for grants and loans too
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The finger pointing is ridiculous. The whole root of this issue is the government, specifically, inflation. Keep printing that money, it's making the dollar worthless and the cost of living sky rocket. Raising min. wage would do the same.

The rich shouldn't be punished for their hard work and choices and I am sick of the'poor' saying the rich have too much. Hell, I live paycheck to paycheck, we struggle to put food on the table at times but I have enough brains to work to better our situation rather than expecting someone else to pick up the slack.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Here's a bizarre idea coming from a silly girl: reward results, not effort.

*mind blown*

:flowerforyou:

Wait wait wait...that is too simple of a concept. It must be wrong.

Read my comment above. If you want to pay them based on results McDonalds is going to owe them a HUGE raise.

These employees are the backbone of their operation and the entire reason they function. They are essential. Without them not $1 gets made. Given the choice between losing the CEO of the company and losing the front line workers the board would choose to get rid of the CEO every time.

They're people working hard and asking to be paid a reasonable wage. They aren't looking for a handout. They're trying to get off public assistance. They are your neighbors and they serve you on a regular basis.

Maybe some of you should stop looking down on them as a cheap way of feeling better about yourselves.

That's a whole lot of assumptions you are making there on a huge population.

I really wish people would stop throwing in the "working hard" thing, honestly have no idea what that has to do with anything.

And no, they don't serve me regularly. Fast food is gross (except for Chick-fil-a)

So my question to you though is why are you at your keyboard right now and not at one of the protest?
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    Every job worked at full time hours should pay a living wage.

Please define "living wage"

Also, are government subsidies factored into that living wage.

Does living wage assume that you own a cell phone with a data plan and Internet access?

I'm just curious if living wage is what someone actually needs to live or more or less what they want but doesn't actually need in order to live?

Apparently "living wage" In my area here in Philly is I phone, car, house, name brand shoes and clothes. At least that is what everyone in section 8 has. All curtsy of the government . The few that do work spend there money on drugs and car decals. I seriously want to quit and claim "disability" so I can upgrade my life. I would love to have a car again. Then i can sell my food stamps for cash like they do and buy more nice things I don't need.

Sorry that turned into a rant.
  • avrobin03
    avrobin03 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks minimum wage is not MORE than a fair wage for making a big mac is a few fries short of a happy meal themselves.

A fair living wage is important to everyone, however, I find this offensive! I find it offensive that the fast food workers could potentially make more than me, a degreed paramedic (Paramedicine, BS Bio-Chem, BA Military Studies (history/poli-sci hybrid), BA English Lit and a smattering of AS/AA degrees (just for fun)) still paying off student loans and trying to live on $13/hour, at my HIGHEST paying job, out of the 4 jobs that I have. Or, more than teachers in most systems. Get an education and educate our children. Get an education and work to hold the Grim Reaper to a 'zero day.' Worth LESS than a Big Mac and fries? I just want to scream, "PRIORITIES PEOPLE!" to those threatening to strike. (getting off my soapbox now.) :blushing:

Couldn't of said it better myself!!!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    woahohohoho

I worked in the service industry in high school. So this isn't an elitist, "us vs them" viewpoint by any means, and it insults my intelligence that you would assume such. Then *poof* I'm a college student. Guess what, that *poof* isn't luck or a handout or me sitting around waiting for someone to give me a bucket o' cash. This is hard work and aspirations.

Typically I wouldn't make this personal, because anecdotal evidence is useless. But chose to use yourself as an example, soooo...

Ok. Do tell. You went to college. Was it because:

A. Your parents paid for it
    B. Student loans paid for it (government assistance)
    C. You earned the money through your service industry job

Because A is luck, B is a handout, and C is nearly impossible.

So which is it?

Everyone loves to take all the credit for their accomplishments. They tend to forget all the help they received along the way.

C, smart one. And I didn't limit myself to the service industry. I started refereeing soccer, then moved to waitressing, and have since found work as a music festival promoter, casting assistant, promotional and print model, and engineering intern. With the exception of the internship, none of those require a college education. Did I have some help along the way? Sure. But did someone hand me those jobs? No. Did someone tell me I had to keep challenging myself to find more advanced employment? No.

I forgive your sassiness though :flowerforyou:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Does anyone complaining about this have a rudimentary understanding of economics or human resources? Jobs pay what they're valued at. If McDonald's doesn't think you're worth $15/hr, you're not worth $15/hr, if these people are worth $15 why don't they go find a job that pays them $15/hr?? Because they can't, minimum effort, minimum education, minimum motivation get you minimum wage. Instead we say "golly this person wants to make $15/hr, why don't we just MAKE mcDonald's pay them $15/hr? even though they're not worth it"....then McDonald's fires all of their worker except for a few cooks and a manager, and replaces them with robots and then we get to hear about "greedy big business replacing humans with machines" Honestly I swear, read a book sometime! I recommend Atlas Shrugs or Wealth of Nations.

*thumbs up* For the guy who broke it down into layman's terms.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has brought up how when people are paid better they tend to work harder and there is low turnover, which cuts down on training costs for businesses. If you pay people minimum wage, they will give you minimum effort.

But then again, I am taking a labor econ course this semester, so, maybe that isn't common knowledge.

That's what I was alluding to in my previous post. Maybe these companies such as McDonald's have done studies to find that paying employees minimum wage and having high turnover is no more profitable than paying a higher wage such as Costco and having less turnover. Who are you, I or anyone else to try to dictate one way or the other. If said employee wants a higher wage, what is stopping them from leaving and going to Costco.....other than they might actual have to work hard to earn that wage.
    Because Costco has extremely low turnover. Surprise, surprise, since they pay well.

Did you even read my full post? I never disputed that.
    You asked what's stopping them from leaving and going to Costco. Costco's low turnover is what's preventing them from doing that. When fewer people quit your company, you have fewer job openings.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options

I pay $600 for a small one bedroom, no heat or lights in a bad neighbor hood. You've got it made. You have no right to complain about what others are being paid and that they should be able to afford necessities on $7.50/hr.

Did I say I was living there now? No. I was living there when I was making $9/hour with a kid and making ends meet. I thankfully wasn't paying daycare but I did have to pay for diapers and wipes and laundry and I made it work. No, you don't have the kind of money to go out to eat or go have a drink or pay a babysitter so you can go out with friends or go out and buy a steak but you make it work. I'm not going to say how much I make now but I will say it's not much more and I have 2 kids and rent that's $200 more and a baby daddy that ran out and can't be found to pay support and because it's a bigger place a bigger electric bill and daycare costs now. I'm still doing it on my own with my job because I went out and found one that's paying more. I don't know where some of you are living that say no one is hiring because there's always a company looking to get rid of someone if the right person comes along. It doesn't hurt to try.

What do you consider "trying?" For 4 months I filled out every single application and handed out every single resume I had to companies that weren't even hiring. In many places the front desk staff came to know me personally. And yet I still ended up in a retail position. There literally were and still are very very very jobs here.

How far did you go to look? I work 45 mins away from where I live because that's where I could find a better price on rent.