Not bothering to date.. Its all frankly worrying..

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I've been single for nearly 3yrs... My last dates have included; someone not calling me back for a month - when they did they told me they'd been clinically sectioned, & wanted to join the French Foreign Legion. A bloke who informed me his ex was blonde, so he was worried my "growler" may terrify him (we'll never know?), & a bus driver who related a highly unamusing story involving him having a dump behind an unmarked police car... What can I say? I frankly like being single. I can see the benefit.. What was the worst date you had recently?

those all sound like really interesting guys!

i think you're being too picky.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My ex fiance dumped me, I was bored, and I headed to online dating.

Guy #1 wasn't too bad, but he lived with mom and didn't like dogs. That was from match. There wasn't much else on there in my small area, so onto okcupid.

Guy #2 was an HOUR late to our first date. I don't know why I didn't leave. I don't know why I went out with him again. And again. I refer to him as "wolf shirt guy" because he was wearing a shirt with a wolf on it. I thought he was doing it ironically (if you don't know what I mean, look up amazon wolf shirt review) so I laughed at it, but he was confused and genuinely thought it was a good look. Meanwhile he was late to every other date too. I just stopped answering the phone with that one.

Guy #3 I feel madly in love with right off the bat and I am marrying in June :)
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've been single for the last 2 years and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The last date I went on was from Match.com a few months ago and it was literally a date from hell. He got drunk, started hitting on the waitress, acted like a belligerent jacka$$, and when I asked him to take me back to my car he drove like a maniac and I thought I was going to die. The whole way I drove home he sent me text messages that alternated between what a b**** I was and "But seriously, why did you want to leave?"

Needless to say I went straight home and deleted my Match account. Although I have been approached a lot recently and asked out I have respectfully declined all offers. I'm just not into it.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I just want to know where to meet quality guys when you're living somewhere suburban, hit the gym at "mom" time, not interested in the bar scene, and would love someone gainfully employed, in my age range, fitness-minded, straight, unmarried, and preferably with kids. Muscles and tattoos preferred.

I've tired a few online sites with no luck. All my friends are married. Sigh.

Hit the gym at non mom time. Good call skipping online. Suburbs are hell for meeting people.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've been single for the last 2 years and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The last date I went on was from Match.com a few months ago and it was literally a date from hell. He got drunk, started hitting on the waitress, acted like a belligerent jacka$$, and when I asked him to take me back to my car he drove like a maniac and I thought I was going to die. The whole way I drove home he sent me text messages that alternated between what a b**** I was and "But seriously, why did you want to leave?"

Needless to say I went straight home and deleted my Match account. Although I have been approached a lot recently and asked out I have respectfully declined all offers. I'm just not into it.
    He was drunk and you not only willingly got in the car with him, but asked him to drive?

You have no friends or taxis in town?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Wow...This thread has taught me that back when I was dating I did not need to try nearly as hard as I did.
  • Razz_Baby
    Razz_Baby Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Whew! I'm not alone!!

I have been single for four years. There was a guy I was seeing for awhile but he certainly wasn't bf material. Between being a single mom, my 3 hour commute, and my super demanding job I just didn't see dating in my cards. Now my daughter lives with her dad, my commute is 30 mins round trip, and we are in the slow season at work so I have LOTS of free time!!

I haven't been on too many horrible dates. Not that I can remember, anyway. But there were a few guys I dated that I really was digging. I thought they were digging me, too. Then *poof* they disappear. I don't tend to chase people down so I don't know what happened.

Oh well....
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Lol, it does sound worrying!

I've been with my husband for 10.5 years now. I never had any particularly bad dates before meeting him, although I did meet a guy in a club who told me he was 22 (I was 24) then I went on a date with him and it turned out he was 18 and still at school lol. And one of my flatmates at the time declared his undying love for me. Awkward!

This happened to a friend of mine! One of the guys who worked for her lawn service asked her out, they hooked up a few times and one night she invited him to a bar with us and he stood outside the whole time. Turns out he lied about his age and was actually 17! :noway:
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

He was drunk and you not only willingly got in the car with him, but asked him to drive?

Way to judge. Actually no I didn't have any friends in town. I was new to the area and I didn't have cash for a cab.

I'm going to tell some guy I just met that I'm driving his car? He was the idiot in the situation and you're judging me... Cool!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I just want to know where to meet quality guys when you're living somewhere suburban, hit the gym at "mom" time, not interested in the bar scene, and would love someone gainfully employed, in my age range, fitness-minded, straight, unmarried, and preferably with kids. Muscles and tattoos preferred.

Hit the gym at non mom time. Good call skipping online. Suburbs are hell for meeting people.

With work and my daughter, the only time I can get there is right when I drop her off for school. I tried online. The guys from Match were too old, the guys from POF only interested in sex, and the guys from OKCupid just never quite did it for me visually. Broad generalizations, but my overall experience. Killed all the profiles for now.
  • summertime_girl
    Options

Way to judge. Actually no I didn't have any friends in town. I was new to the area and I didn't have cash for a cab.

I'm going to tell some guy I just met that I'm driving his car? He was the idiot in the situation and you're judging me... Cool!

Actually, if you just met him, and he was drunk, you truly risked your life.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Man, I have been out of the dating scene for 23 years, thankfully! Reading some of these posts makes me very glad that 23+ years ago dating was pretty much uncomplicated.

If a guy liked you, he asked you out and you had a pretty good idea by the end of the date whether there was a chance for it to develop into a relationship or not.

There were no smart phones, so there were no weenie shots being texted. Overall, guys tended to keep it in their pants for a couple of dates, at least. The biggest worry on a first date was whether or not you were going to kiss goodnight!
  • rml_16
    Options

But you got in the car with him ...
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

With work and my daughter, the only time I can get there is right when I drop her off for school. I tried online. The guys from Match were too old, the guys from POF only interested in sex, and the guys from OKCupid just never quite did it for me visually. Broad generalizations, but my overall experience. Killed all the profiles for now.

I know this particular answer isn't going to illustrate my point, but I saw elsewhere you listed some additional qualifications. Many women are far fussier than their market value to men is. A woman in her early to mid 20s, who is at least an objective 7, with no kids can be fussier. I think being more open minded could help. Also, a lot of men don't like the idea of raising another man's baby, so single moms aren't particularly in demand.

I think you'll find someone. The market favors women.
  • rml_16
    Options

Do you have Parents Without Partners in your area?
  • ryry_
    Options

I know this particular answer isn't going to illustrate my point, but I saw elsewhere you listed some additional qualifications. Many women are far fussier than their market value to men is. A woman in her early to mid 20s, who is at least an objective 7, with no kids can be fussier. I think being more open minded could help. Also, a lot of men don't like the idea of raising another man's baby, so single moms aren't particular in demand.

Did I just turn on MSNBC?
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    People don't know HOW to date anymore, and this is honestly the main reason I prefer to date men who are about 10 years older. Men that age typically remember when dating involved asking a woman out, picking her up, doing something fun, getting to know each other a little better, and taking her home, without any expectation of ending up in her bed before the night is over. Guys my age think dating is texting a woman you met online last week to say you're at a bar with friends and asking if she wants to come hang out, which invariably means "want to come get drunk and then sleep with me?"

^^^^^^I was beginning to think people had forgotten how to date, since apparently dating has changed ALOT in the last 5 years with social media and the like. Unfortunately nowadays being a gentleman on a date will get you looked at sideways. LOL

2013-10-02_08-44-11-1_zpsc7b8ee06.jpg
  • summertime_girl
    Options

I know this particular answer isn't going to illustrate my point, but I saw elsewhere you listed some additional qualifications. Many women are far fussier than their market value to men is. A woman in her early to mid 20s, who is at least an objective 7, with no kids can be fussier. I think being more open minded could help. Also, a lot of men don't like the idea of raising another man's baby, so single moms aren't particular in demand.

Lol, so I'm too old, not even a 7, and now I have a baby? Ok ;)
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options

My fiance is all of that (except maybe not in your age range--he's 41). Unfortunately, he also comes with a crazy ex-wife. Seriously. I love him, though, and put up with her for him and the boys :smile:

35-45, and I'll even put up with an ex-wife! But I'm picky, so that's eliminated a lot. At this point in my life, I don't want a fling, and I don't want to settle.

Well, good luck to you. I actually met him online. We've been together for almost three years now. I agree, though, to all the crazies online. I certainly went out with my fair share before I met my fiance.
  • ryry_
    Options

Lol, so I'm too old, not even a 7, and now I have a baby? Ok ;)

My out of the box idea would be, go to your gym. Sell them on the idea of a singles meet and greet in your gym. Convince them it could bring in new business as well as gain loyalty with their existing subscriber base. Flyers could be put up in advance. The event could probably take place in the class studio. People could invite people. And you would have an atomsphere of fitness minded individuals where you can filter through the crazy that apparently doesn't come across online prior to committing to a date.