Please explain low carbs and it's magical proprieties

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    And Steve, recognizing Tigersword's superior grasp of physiology, has decided to become buds with him.

Lucky Tigersword. :sad:
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    And Steve, recognizing Tigersword's superior grasp of physiology, has decided to become buds with him.

LOL yes I'm sure he breathed a huge sigh of relief knowing that Steve is on his side in all this. You can sleep tonight, Tigersword! You have Steve's seal of approval! Don't worry, he went to the University of One Textbook. It's very prestigious.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

LOL yes I'm sure he breathed a huge sigh of relief knowing that Steve is on his side in all this. You can sleep tonight, Tigersword! You have Steve's seal of approval! Don't worry, he went to the University of One Textbook. It's very prestigious.

You crack me up. :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely.......RIGHT!

Tigersword, what the heck are you doing on this board, anyway? :)

C'mon Steve. How about addressing the questions posed. The absence of response speaks legions.
  • DSTMT
    Options

You crack me up. :laugh:

:o) Frustration brings out the sarcasm in me, and nothing is more maddening than when someone has the b*lls to be patronizing when they clearly don't know what they're talking about.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I like breakfast.

i-like-turtles.jpg
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I only have a high school education (or at least I assume) and I am smart a'f.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Whoa whoa whoa, time out here.

Have you ever read any books?

Do you have one or two absolute favorites that you can't stop talking about and that you believe applies to every situation that ever was or ever will be?

If the answer to both of these questions is "yes", then yes you are.

Please proceed.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Whoa whoa whoa, time out here.

Have you ever read any books?

Do you have one or two absolute favorites that you can't stop talking about and that you believe applies to every situation that ever was or ever will be?

If the answer to both of these questions is "yes", then yes you are.

Please proceed.

I am an avid reader. And I may be able to apply the Harry Potter series and LotR series to every situation.
    In fact, I may...
  • DSTMT
    Options
    I would never ever mock someone or think less of them because they don't have a bunch of degrees, some of my smartest friends didn't finish high school. I myself don't have a science related education, but that's why I'm not participating in the actual discussion about molecular biology. I DO know enough to tell when someone is saying crap that doesn't make sense and then being condescending towards the people who know what they're talking about, and that's what p*ssed me off. If a person is going to sit there and be like "I'm here to answer all your questions and correct misinformation about a specific subject that generally requires a great deal of study and knowledge" then they should probably have at least some qualifications, is all I'm saying lol
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    C'mon Steve. How about addressing the questions posed. The absence of response speaks legions.

It'll be awhile - no internet in the detention room.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I would never ever mock someone or think less of them because they don't have a bunch of degrees, some of my smartest friends didn't finish high school. I myself don't have a science related education, but that's why I'm not participating in the actual discussion about molecular biology. I DO know enough to tell when someone is saying crap that doesn't make sense and then being condescending towards the people who know what they're talking about, and that's what p*ssed me off. If a person is going to sit there and be like "I'm here to answer all your questions and correct misinformation about a specific subject that generally requires a great deal of study and knowledge" then they should probably have at least some qualifications, is all I'm saying lol

I wouldn't mock someone for the absence of degrees or a specific education but when someone insults an education (which is what Steve has done) or the work of researchers (again) then I think he's fair game. However, I'm staying away from the personal teasing (which he isn't) basically because that is the ground I want to stand on. I don't see anything wrong with the responses he has elicited given how he's handled himself.

Btw - this isn't really a discussion about molecular biology - he's not bringing content much to the table.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    No education shaming shaming hear. Steve said I was endearing and wondered what my level of education was (rather than respond to any number of actual published research studies many have supplied). This led to us speculating on his level of education. Since I assume he is in the US, a high school education or equivalent degree is mandatory. That is why I guessed his to be that.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    bumping cuz I ran outta time at work :happy:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

This.

Honestly, I am beginning to suspect that Steve is a Master Troll.
    I'm not even being ugly here.

If he's a troll, he makes the infamous "Pastry Chef" thread creator look like a novice.
  • scottkanagy
    scottkanagy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Id say take it a step further and get the chemicals out of the food. You will be healthier and would lower medical costs in the country. Out of curiosity didnt charles atkins die from heart failure related to his diet? I swear I read that somewhere.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Id say take it a step further and get the chemicals out of the food. You will be healthier and would lower medical costs in the country. Out of curiosity didnt charles atkins die from heart failure related to his diet? I swear I read that somewhere.
    Dr. Atkins died after slipping and hitting his head on an icy sidewalk. Had nothing to do with his diet.

As for "getting the chemicals out of food," that's just a ridiculously uneducated thing to say. All food is chemicals. Everything you eat is a chemical. All vitamins are chemicals, all proteins are chemicals, all fats are chemicals. Hell, your entire body is made up of 100% chemicals.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    For the same calories, you should have the same weight effects.

For me, though, when I eat carbs, I tend to crave more carbs, and then I crave even more carbs after that, and I end up eating a lot more. So for me, the point is not that it's low carb, but that it's high protein and fat. With protein and fat, I stay full, I don't get cravings, and I stay on my caloric target better.

^^This^^ Ultimately, it's all about the calories burned and the calories eaten. BUT, keeping insulin (the fat-storage and "fat-protecting" hormone) in check is a large part of activating glucagon (the fat-activating hormone--making body fat available for burning as energy) in the body. Many obese people find that a lower carb diet is the only way that they can not experience extreme hunger (from too much insulin). When you run chronically low blood sugar for a while (from following a lower carb diet) it backs off your insulin production. A lot of people with normal insulin response find the lower carb diet extremely unpleasant. But it is usually quite well-accepted by most obese folk. The one thing you DON"T want to do is go lower carb AND low fat at the same time (in other words a very low calorie diet)--it will make you sick. One or the other is okay although a lot of docs are coming around to the point of view that a diet high in refined carbohydrates (sugar and processed food) is very bad for obese people. It should be noted that a lower carb diet is not the same as a very low carb diet (a ketogenic diet). I follow a lower carb diet (60-120 grams of carb per day, with the higher amounts on days when I am very active). I also take breaks from it and go on maintenance calories to try to combat adaptive thermogenesis (a major problem for the formerly obese).
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are the same. Calories from ESSENTIAL fats and protein are used for cell growth and repair. I don't know exactly what proportion of the calories consumed from fats and protein foods are initially used up for cell growth and repair but what is certain is that sugary and starchy food rich in carbohydrates are simply the body's main source of energy. And, if you consume more fuel (carbohydrate and sugar) than your body requires for energy, the excess is laid down as fat. Hence, the partial truth of conventional wisdom that insists calorie counting is the one and only way to lose weight. However, given that there's is no such thing as ESSENTIAL carbohydrates or sugar, it makes sense to me to first meet the body's calorific requirement for essential nutrients i.e. fats and protein before indulging in a carbohydrate 'fest'. Furthermore, a diet richer in protein and fat is proven to satiate hunger and thereby reduces the urge to snack between meals, which naturally reduces calorific intake. Thus, without calorie counting or ever feeling hungry, you can more easily lose weight by eating nutrient dense foods like vegetables, grass-fed meats and responsibly sourced fish, eggs, some nuts and seeds and plenty of good fats like olive oil, avocados, coconut and good quality butter. Magic :-)

^^THIS^^
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I need it explained in simple terms from those who swear by it. I feel like a moron but I really do not understand how you can lose faster than just a calories deficit and I am not talking about glycogen or water weight. My friend is doing it but is unable to explain how it work lol

Thank you
    Skip the heart disease diet and center your diet around fruits and vegetables.
This discussion has been closed.