Harming children to make yourself feel good?

Options

Replies

• sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    That sixth cookie is vital. If a child eats six cookies in one day, ESPECIALLY DURING THE HOLIDAYS, it can be deadly.

Educate yourselves!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Low fat, organic kale chips... What mother would say no to a snack like that?
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Uhh.. The Mom of a kid who projectile vomits after eating it?
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    That kind of fiber the night before makes for an exciting middle of the night diaper experience. Please just give him a cookie!:flowerforyou:
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Grandparents and aunties especially, and friends and relatives everywhere - please, please, please, please, please ask parents first BEFORE offering children sweets and treats!!!!! And NEVER sneak them treats when parents say no.

Of course you're not harming them on purpose, but a diet with too many cookies, cakes, candy and sweets is never good for anyone, especially children, especially when they are busy - and there are a lot of "special visits" during the holidays, so your offer might be a child's sixth cookie for the day.

Kids don't yet have the ability to make considered choices about their nutrition; their parents do. If you're going around Mom and Dad to feed them high calorie, nutritionally void food - you're getting your own, warm, fuzzy, heart warming smile, "thank you," and, "I love you," AT THEIR EXPENSE - in straight, harsh terms: YOU ARE HARMING THEM TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL GOOD. STOP.

I agree, my nan used to give me loads of junk food in my pack up
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo in!!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I agree. A lot of people food is harmful to animals. Chocolate for example can kill dogs.

Yes. If a chihuahua ate a pound of chocolate it would die. Heck I'd get sick if I ate a pound of chocolate! :laugh: '

If a dog accidentally eats some and it's not in a huge quantity they're not going to die from it.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Strong title. Curious where this thread goes.

The derp is strong with this one.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree. A lot of people food is harmful to animals. Chocolate for example can kill dogs.

Yes. If a chihuahua ate a pound of chocolate it would die. Heck I'd get sick if I ate a pound of chocolate! :laugh: '

If a dog accidentally eats some and it's not in a huge quantity they're not going to die from it.
    It takes less dark chocolate to be harmful, but most people aren't keeping real dark chocolate around as holiday treats, so the danger is pretty low.

I know moe than one dog that ate entire Easter baskets full of chocolate and didn't even get the sniffles.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm not someone who fears sugar, but I moderate it in my children's diets just as I do my own. I'm not a grinch about it though - they certainly aren't eating lettuce wraps around the campfire.

When it comes to excess, it's as much about short term sickness as anything else. My in-laws kept feeding the kids candy on a visit once. We kept asking them to dial it back a bit or the kids would get sick. They did not. Sure enough, by the evening both kids were vomiting everywhere.

Now they listen to us when we say it's time to back off the candy.
  • wardances
    Options

My mother-in-law has two large German shepherd dogs. They once managed to eat a medium sized pan of brownies to themselves. Yep, they're still alive. Then again they also eat through Tupperware, a manual breast pump, and pretty much anything else they can get their teeth on. Her dogs are resilient! :laugh:
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on the 'omg one more cookie is going to kill them', make them GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY. If it's cold, come up with fun, indoor moving activities. I grew up in Ohio. When it was bitter cold, and we got antsy, we played 'baseball' in the living room, and roller-skated in the kitchen. Our parents would have us do silly things like jumping jack competitions, or 'how many times can you run up and down the stairs before you feel silly'. It worked to keep us not only healthy, but from being bored to tears.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

My mother-in-law has two large German shepherd dogs. They once managed to eat a medium sized pan of brownies to themselves. Yep, they're still alive. Then again they also eat through Tupperware, a manual breast pump, and pretty much anything else they can get their teeth on. Her dogs are resilient! :laugh:

That's my dad's dog. She's eaten a tray of chocolate fudge, purses, shoes, toys, lipstick, sunglasses ($150 pair that was ON TOP of the fridge), drywall, furniture, carpet and her favorite, paper products. I joke that she is like a billygoat, lives off garbage.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Strong title. Curious where this thread goes.

The derp is strong with this one.

Rude!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

It takes less dark chocolate to be harmful, but most people aren't keeping real dark chocolate around as holiday treats, so the danger is pretty low.

I know moe than one dog that ate entire Easter baskets full of chocolate and didn't even get the sniffles.
    Keep the turkey out of reach!

I was letting my turkey rest before I carved it and my dog ate the whole thing, bones and all! He licked the platter clean without making a sound. He had diarrhea for two days. Luckily the bones didn't cause any medical problems but the mess was gross!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Our shepherd/husky mix puppy when I was a kid ate a lightbulb. He was fine.

Little stinkers, they are.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Your self-righteousness is harming my eyeballs to make you feel superior to everyone else.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The holidays come once a year. All the playing with family and friends is sure to burn significant calories.

However, I will agree that no one should be giving your kids anything behind your back. If you have specifically said not to, then that's just rude, but not necessarily harm-inducing. My mom did that to me on more than one occassion. But you know what, my kids are perfectly healthy in spite of it. And you know what else, I probably spoil my kids worse than anyone.

So lighten up a little! The holidays are meant to be a time of joy and celebration. You can feed your kids carrot sticks and wheat germ all of the rest of the year.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ::shudder::

I get where you're coming from, sort of, but like someone else said, you can't control everything in your kid's life. If your holidays are that busy that you are going to six different places in one day, maybe you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Why not compromise? Tell the kid or host/hostess that little Suzy can choose one treat while visiting. And make sure you're allowing little Suzy to run around and just be a kid. As long as she's getting plenty of fresh air and exercise, and doesn't have any food allergies, I don't see the harm.

It's Christmastime. If you can't relax a little bit right now, I truly feel sorry for you and your children.