Harming children to make yourself feel good?

Options

Replies

• ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I will feed all of your children cookies, brownies and cake. Fair warning!

My house will have all of the snack food, I will bake pies and cupcakes.

I will have a tire swing and a unfinished tree house. There will be a bike ramp to do tricks off of. Someone will end up needing stitches.

so when can i drop them at your house? from the sound of it they will crash after about 3 hours and thats plenty of time for a dinner out :)
    Yay! Can I come too? Sounds like fun :-)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

I will have a tire swing and a unfinished tree house. There will be a bike ramp to do tricks off of. Someone will end up needing stitches.

Add a pony and it's the way I grew up...... good times.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options

so when can i drop them at your house? from the sound of it they will crash after about 3 hours and thats plenty of time for a dinner out :)
    Yay! Can I come too? Sounds like fun :-)

sure :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    giphy7_zpsb5a8b9b3.gif

I am troubled by the one or two frames of what looks like Blue's Clues Thinking Chair. Why? Why is that there?

omg, you are right! :laugh:

Subliminal message?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    giphy7_zpsb5a8b9b3.gif

I am troubled by the one or two frames of what looks like Blue's Clues Thinking Chair. Why? Why is that there?

subliminal message... it says...

EAT MOAR COOKIES!!!!!

DAMMIT!
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Me and my kids are coming to your house!
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    I think everything in moderation - as long as it's not all the time/every meal. Then some small treats will not harm them. You want your kids to enjoy themselves and be healthy and isn't being a parent about teaching kids how to enjoy lifes delights but in moderation? I think if grandparents and other family members want to spoil your kids then they should be able to, if it's excessive then mention something.

I think your title is a little overdramatic
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    ^^^this, the sugar high out of control is placebo effect.

How? We're talking about small children who don't KNOW that sugar supposedly makes them hyper, but yet it makes them hyper, anyway. The placebo effect only works when you think something is supposed to affect you in a certain way.

Except it doesn't make they hyper. Studies have repeatedly showed this.

ETA: As usual, a bunch of people already beat me to it. Including the study where the Mom's seemed to got hyper 'cause they thought their kid's sugar eating would make them hyper. LOL
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    giphy7_zpsb5a8b9b3.gif

subliminal message... it says...

EAT MOAR COOKIES!!!!!

DAMMIT!

BMTA!!!

Looks like this thread may roll!!!!!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

How? We're talking about small children who don't KNOW that sugar supposedly makes them hyper, but yet it makes them hyper, anyway. The placebo effect only works when you think something is supposed to affect you in a certain way.

^^ I was thinking the same thing.

Generally, the times kids get more sugar are at parties, holidays,etc and the hyperactivity has more to do with the excitement of the party than with sugar consumption Also the expectations of the parents that the child would become hyper led to more hyperactivity.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130722-does-sugar-make-kids-hyperactive

It looks like that is referring to ADHD. ADHD is not the same as a "sugar high," which is a burst of energy experienced after eating sugar, generally followed by a "crash." Sucrose is sheer carbohydrate. It's like raw energy.

And as far as the placebo effect, I don't seem to notice sugar affecting me, but if I have a Starbucks instead of my normal black coffee, I will often get questions about my behavior. I imagine that if I had Starbucks on a regular basis, then it wouldn't happen. There is something to be said for "tolerance" levels on an individual basis.

The articles speaks mostly about kids getting hyper at parties. Towards the end it mentions a possible link between long term sugar consumption and ADHD.
    There is many problem with the linked article with the meta-analyasis:
    1) outdated, It is made in 1995, reviewing articles that often much older than that.
    2) Most article which refused the sugar high hypothesis based on simple trials, when one group of kid got sugar(sucrose), and the other group got aspartame and the third group got saccharin and they didn't find much difference in behavior in the kids.... Well based on this the sugar high hypothesis can not be credible refuted. It only can be said that various artificial sweeteners are not any better , which are been showed many times over recently
    3) Most studies focus on school age children average 8 yrs old and they do not find effect. A few studies focused on smaller kids like average 4 yrs old, and those are the one where find difference. I think this shows there is a DOSE question. It matters if the kids get a tiny piece of chocolate or a huge king size candy bar daily basis.
    4) Often sugar high studies focus only on sugar , and even emphasize that they ensured the kids do not get additives, preservatives etc. The problem is that is not a realistic scenario. Those super colorful birthday cake frosting , package candies, chocolates, cookies etc doesn't just contain sugar, but tons of coloring, additives, preservatives etc. Many of those has been associated with various behavior problems. If grandma gives my child a homebaked cookie or small slice of a home baked pie after nutritious lunch is fine by me. But when grandma feeds my kid a giant oversized crappy quality "chocolate" bar with no real cocoa content half an hr prior lunch , that is NOT ok.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    So, speaking of sugar, I bought these

51TTQC5aZcL._AA160_.jpg

Sugar Cookie marshmallows, thinking they might be good.

But no.
    They just taste burnt. :devil:

I'm disappointed.

Anyone else tried these?
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Crap... 7 more post til the roll!!!
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For the love of humanity! Can this thread just roll all ready?

1385148526_rollover_vw_golf.gif

Fixed it.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    For the love of humanity! Can this thread just roll all ready?

IRBV

I'm trying!!!
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Bump
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    rRoHxi3.gif
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Sugar highs are fiction. Sugar is a carbohydrate, which is calming. A metadata analysis showed no correlation between sugar and hyperactive behavior.

True - I was amazed to find out that the research doesn't support the sugar high that kids get - but I'd bet every Mom out there can attest to it!

I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect but I'm not sure it applies when you're talking about the sugar-high in kids. Kids don't know that's how they're "supposed" to respond to sugar.

I remember kids talking about it when I was little, so they definitely know they're "supposed" to get a high from it.

Also I was reading about whether pets experience a placebo effect the other day. The answer was no, but there are some theories as to why it seems that way. Conditioning and expectancy are two of them.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/is-there-a-placebo-effect-for-animals/

If pets can seem to have a placebo effect, the same could be true for kids. And once they're old enough to understand, they're exposed to the idea of the sugar high, which could influence behavior.

Depends on the age of the kid I suppose but I see your point.

** trying to end this thread! **
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bump to roll ...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    worst thread ever