Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• NaomiGibbins
    NaomiGibbins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My first post on this thread..for Saturday my thing to celebrate this week is...stcking to my plan over Christmas/Boxing day. I did go over calorie goal on Christmas day (pecan pie!), but over the week I am below goal. Skipped the cream several times! I made some great food choices.

My January goal is to keep making good food choices.

I haven't told anyone else my plan to lose weight, when my DH notices I'll know I've achieved something!

Have a lovely Saturday everyone,
    Naomi.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have a LOT of catching up to do. I have been reading everyone's posts, but haven't been great at personals. I honestly started to post several times, but then got pulled away. I didn't do great with my eating over the holiday... but it wasn't terrible. I haven't exercised (on purpose) since Monday. My hip has been giving me grief, so I think I'll need a shot there soon. My trainer said to give it a rest and try this weekend, so I will try for a walk today. I lost my stinkin Fitbit again... time to clean the house! LOL

Jtconst- YAY for 3 miles! I know I start to get pooped after 2.5… I have done 3, but am down for a couple days after. Take your time- you will reach your 5 miles, when you are ready. (Look how far you have come!)

Alupinsk- Jewelry sounds like a lovely reward- you have certainly earned it!

SeeLShrink/Lauren- Welcome! This thread is truly a hidden gem- for sure. It sounds like you have a great plan. Yoga is one of my absolute favoritest things! I started earlier this year and got completely hooked. I find myself doing yoga poses in my cubicle at work… that’s how much I love it. My coworkers gave me funny looks initially… but they have learned to accept my little oddities!

Morgori- Is that YOU as Santa??? LOVE it! Also love the quote… imagine if everyone took the same hour each day and shared only thoughts of love… what a different world we would live in.

GWENERCR- Walking truly makes a great difference in how I feel. I notice when I don’t walk at least 10 minutes in a day (on purpose), I am not nearly the perky person I normally am. It is great that you are not letting your injury keep you down! CONGRATULATIONS on exercising every day for a week!!! That is a terrific accomplishment… I am inspired!

RobinsEgg- I am praying for you. I know all too well what it is like to wait for an answer… any answer. I hope that in the meantime, you are feeling better.

Skinnyjeanz- HI! I know what you mean about the stomach not feeling “smaller”, but leaner. I have not lost a single pound (still) though I have been working out. BUT everything seems a bit higher up… my tummy isn’t smaller but it is definitely changing.
    Kaye- It sounds like you have been very active; with the yoga dvd and walking. 2 miles is two miles more than I have done in the last few days… I will have to catch up!

Lauriek70- YAY on getting below 195!!! I’m excited for you (and a little jealous) ;) I will keep your family and dad in my prayers.

Taratruex- CONGRATULATIONS on 825 consecutive days!! That is quite the accomplishment!

MyM0wM0w- That temp job sounds all too familiar… I am so happy to hear you got the contract for the place you enjoy working. HP as in Hewlett Packard? I worked with them in Colorado Springs for a couple of years. Pretty decent company to work for. Glad you are pulling out of your depression. I am so happy to see you!

NaomiFilcock- WELCOME! I also kept my goals a bit of a secret, in the beginning. It was neat when the first person said, “Hey, are you losing weight?”
  • tanyatabone9
    tanyatabone9 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this thread, so hello. It's Sunday morning here, I'm on the computer with a coffee in hand. But it seems that you are all still at Saturday morning, so I will keep in line.
    My goals for January is to get at least a half an hour of exercise every day, straight. I haven't been very good at this during work, but I've got the first half of the month off so that will give me a kick start.
    I live close to the zoo so the idea for this month is to get a membership for myself, which will allow me to go there for a very cool walk. There are a few attractions around, and botanical gardens etc, so I'm going to explore them this month.
    And finally, my NSV for the past week occured on Friday. I went out for a walk in the heat, donned a cap and a t-shirt, and went on a bush hike. It was hot and very scary, with lots of long drops off the track that made my knees wobble in fear, and lots of sounds and movements that came from native Australian wildlife. After getting to the top of the trail there was a beautiful waterfall, and I was only about 50 metres from my car. Unfortunately, the road was blocked. Almost crying about the feared hike back, I got on with it, walked all the way back down hill and then slowly trod back up hill to my car. I could have turned back ages before but didn't. I am sore now, but I feel happy that I conquered something so scary! My walks now will all be a walk in the park... literally.
    All the best everyone!
  • dorrymc
    Options
    You are all so inspiring. Well done. I have around 75lbs to lose. Haven't weighed since 21st Dec. Goal for January is to lose a minimum of 7lbs, establish a good routine for going to the gym and get out for a few walks with the outdoor clothing right. Please add me if that's ok. All the best for all our journeys :happy:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Newlings - welcome to all of you! Glad to see that there are several of you - and from such diverse places around the world.! That is stupendous!

Its a great time of year to join our little discussion board and so please drop back every day if you can to keep yourself going and motivated. You'll find it helps keep you accountable if you just take a moment and note how your day has been going, good or bad. We'll boost you along, no matter what.

Always pay attention to logging your food , it is a great tool, and one almost everyone here has found to be one of the best tools to use. It teaches you where your hunger strikes, at what time, and what kinds of foods are your downfall. It teaches you much more that that, but you get the idea.
  • klaraapache91
    klaraapache91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new as well to the site

And yes it is Sunday morning for me as well, but I too will stick to Saturday discussion!

My goal for January is 5kg.

And my NSV was a 12km hike yesterday up through Mt George, fair to say I am rather sore. But it was worth it! Lol

:)
  • SeeLShrink
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thank you so much for warm welcomes!

Saturday - I got up today and did some yoga, so I'm feeling good and refreshed. I picked up a shift at work tonight (I'm a nurse), and it is hard to get going on weekend workdays sometimes! I'm also excited because I have been doing well with my eating and tracking. I went way crazy over the holidays and felt pretty crappy about it, so it feels good to be back on track! My goal for tomorrow is to hit the gym. It's been since before Christmas that I went, and it's time to put in a good sweat.

Everyone here seems to be doing so well! Keep up the great work!

Lauren
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi new folks! and WELCOME HOME MOW!!!! (missed you!) :flowerforyou:

So, January goal ---- GET OFF THIS BLEEPING PLATEAU! :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Hugs to everyone
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Wow-lots of newlings!! Welcome!! :flowerforyou: If you're in a different time zone than the majority on the thread, just post what you wish. The daily topics are just suggestions--we aren't strict about keeping to them. :wink:

@jklara & tanya--sounds like some lovely hiking options you two have! I live in suburban Chicago, so not a lot of "scenic" routes nearby. It is really lovely to go to the city and run along the Lake Michigan path, but that's a long drive, so I don't do it very often.

@nicole--sorry you are having hip pain. I get it when I'm using the elliptical too much--it's my hint that I need to use the other cardio machines.

@naomi--congrats on getting through the holidays! :drinker: Pecan pie is my favorite--I also had some on Christmas day.

@tara--wow--a half marathon is awesome!! :drinker: I don't think I will ever run that far. I really enjoy my 5ks and did one 8k last spring, but that's about my limit. My only running goal is to keep doing it and maybe get fast enough that I can run 5 miles in a decent time, Right now I'm comfortable at an 11 minute mile for a 5k, but beyond the 3 miles, I slow down and it takes me almost an hour to run a full 5 miles. I agree that signing up for races is super-motivating. I'm currently looking for a shamrock shuffle in March. I hate running outside in the cold, so I don't do winter races.

AFM--made it through one class of analysis activities, then did some grocery shopping. My husband's soup turned out good, and the steak he grilled for dinner was delicious as well. I do fine staying within my calorie goal, but I have a hard time meeting the 40% protein goal. I bought some eggs, cottage cheese, and hummus; I also plan to make some quinoa "mac" and cheese tomorrow. I also have a surplus of almonds I bought at 50% off when our local Dominick's was closing last week. I know some of you use protein powder to reach the magic number, but I'm not fond of shakes, so what other protein-rich foods do you guys like?

Grading goals:
    1. 1/72 AP essays
    2. x/26 Scarlet Letter essays
    3. 5/11 "Lottery" analysis activities
    4. x/52 Scarlet Letter annotations

Exercise goals:
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + gym (cardio) NOT DONE (shoveled instead)
    Fri--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) DONE
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + gym (cardio) NOT DONE (but went extra long with gunner)
    Sun--walk gunner + gym (lift and HIIT)

Exercise & Weight:
    Bench press = 85
    Dead lift = 90
    Squat = 90
    Overhead press = 55
    Upright row = 60

Overhead tricep extension = 25 (dumbbell)
    Bicep curl = 15 (dumbbell)
    Lat pull down = 100
    Tricep pull down = 90
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Tara- Welcome back!!! A half marathon that is impressive and congrats on that accomplishment. I managed two 5K's this year as I have also started running. I love cycling as well and will be so happy when the weather is spring like again so I can ride my bike.

Kris- Welcome back, it is great that HP wants you back.

Tanya- That sounds like an awesome and challenging hike. After that hike you can accomplish anything you set your mind to do. Welcome. Where are you from in Australia?

Kiara-A 12km hike is great and yes being sore is a sign of a good workout. If you workout tomorrow, you will want to take it easy on your sore muscles. Either go for an easy walk or work a different muscle group.

dorrmac-Welcome. You have a good plan in mind with establishing a routine.

Robin- Great advice to all the new people.

Mel-You have already taken the first step towards you goals by posting on here regularly. Exercise will come with time, just start with something you enjoy doing and build from there.

Karen- I agree, we have been maintaining for too long now, it is time we get the scale moving downward again. May 2014 see that scale go down.

Nicole- Take care of the hip and give it some rest. Ask your trainer for some suggestions on stretching it before you exercise or run again. Rest is a great cure when we are sore or different areas are hurting.

Saturday success deals with getting the scale to move below 195. I did see a lower number today than yesterday but that was after swimming for about 40 minutes. That is the other success, I did manage to swim this morning mostly freestyle and breast strokes. I was sharing a lane with someone and I can't swim straight when I do the back stroke and I did not want to run into him or the ropes. It was a nice challenge since my swim was more continuous and slightly harder than normal. I might be able to swim with the Master's group yet.

I spent the day with a cousin it was hard because it was so beautiful outside. I really wanted to ride my bike. I did decide that I will bring my bike down to her house with a friend of mine and ride around her community. The area is quiet and close to the Choptank river so we also have a beautiful view. I just need to prepare my friend for riding on the roads instead of a trail. These roads are very quiet so cars will only be a minor concern.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Gwen-Congrats on meeting your goal of getting to the gym this week.

Kaye- Yeah for getting a walk in today.

12/22 to 12/28
    Sunday- Swim DONE
    Monday- Trainer workout DONE
    Tuesday- Gym DONE
    Wednesday- Christmas no workout DONE
    Thursday- Gym DONE
    Friday-Climbing DONE
    Saturday- Swim DONE

12/29 to Jan. 4
    Sunday-Swim or gym- cardio
    Monday-Trainer
    Tuesday- Trainer
    Wednesday- REST Happy NEW YEAR, 2014!!!
    Thursday- gym- cardio
    Friday- climbing
    Saturday-water aerobics and swim
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm being super lazy right now and doing a blanket post.

half marathon is the bomb diggity.

so is a 12k hike.

if you worked out today...woo hoo!
    if not, slap yourself on the wrist and go tomorrow.

weigh in for me tomorrow. I'm super nervous because I haven't really lost for a few weeks. anxious to see what the measurements are. ah well. nothing I can do now.

starting to wonder if I have a pinched nerve in my arm. my right hand goes numb an awful lot. considering making an appt for this.

2 miles each 13.15. I'm improving. :) I was at 15 minutes a few months ago. AND I didn't hurt myself.

Anxious to see how busy the gym gets over the next month.

If you're a n00b here, hi. add me if you like. I'm here almost daily anymore. these people rock. lean on them. the end.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @alupinsk--awesome time on your 2 miles! Yes, the gym will get crowded for a few weeks. I know it's annoying to some people. I try to be kind and help out the newlings. I remember how intimidating it was to join the gym, and even though I know many of them will disappear by Feb, I don't want my behavior to in any way contribute to their decision to give up. :smile:

Speaking of being nice at the gym. Yesterday I lifted and there was a guy in the free weights section lifting as well. We are both regulars in that section and work around each other often, but have never had occasion to speak. When I finished lifting, I completed my 30 minutes on the elliptical and was wiping off the machine when he came over to talk to me. He told me my grip was a bit narrow on my bench press and I would work my chest more if I widened my grip a bit. I thanked him and said I would give it a go next time. I thought it was nice of him to offer advice.

@laurie--yes, we clearly have this maintenance thing down--too bad we aren't at our goal weights! :laugh: As much as I joke, I do think the "practice" will help us maintain in the long run. Now just to get to that point...:grumble: Part of why I want to lose more weight is that I know it will allow me to increase my running pace--I'm still planning to do that T2T 5k in NYC next September. I've been checking the website regularly--they have posted a couple of other 2014 locations, but the NYC race isn't posted yet. :ohwell:
  • NaomiGibbins
    Options
    My first post on this thread..for Saturday my thing to celebrate this week is...stcking to my plan over Christmas/Boxing day. I did go over calorie goal on Christmas day (pecan pie!), but over the week I am below goal. Skipped the cream several times! I made some great food choices.

My January goal is to keep making good food choices.

I haven't told anyone else my plan to lose weight, when my DH notices I'll know I've achieved something!

Have a lovely Saturday everyone,
    Naomi.

just realised it's Sunday, have a lovely Sunday everyone. LOL.
  • klaraapache91
    klaraapache91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome guys!

And yes Laurie intend to take it easy today gentle walk for an hour :D should stretch me out a bit so I don't get stiff before my PT session tomorrow! Lol

And skinny jeanz I'm not a massive fan of the protein shakes either, I snack on seeds, sunflower seeds and pepitas are my favourites to boost protein. I also love roasted broad beans although that's more of an acquired taste apparently
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @klara--thanks for the suggestions. I :heart: sunflower seeds, but never think to buy them--I will have to add them to my shopping list. Have never tried broad beans, so I will look into those as well.

@naomi--when I started MFP I didn't tell many people either. A couple of colleagues knew b/c they are the ones who told me about the site, but I just waited for others to notice. I also had to tell my husband b/c he does most of the cooking in our household and his forte is "comfort foods." I didn't make him change anything he was doing, but I let him know that I wouldn't go over my calorie allowance, so he wasn't allowed to push second helpings or have hurt feelings if I didn't eat everything he prepared. It was difficult for him b/c he views cooking and cleaning as taking care of me and showing he loves me. However, he was supportive and got used to it. He makes a point of keeping track of ingredients so I can enter his recipes in MFP, and even makes lower calorie substitutions when possible. He also "warns" me ahead of time if he's going to make something really high-calorie, so I can budget my calories or go for a run to earn some exercise calories. Anyways, I absolutely understand your decision to keep your weight loss plan to yourself--a lot of "advice articles" claim you should do the opposite b/c if everyone knows then you will feel accountable. On the contrary, I have always found there are people who sabotage my efforts--whether on purpose or by accident--with their constant scrutiny of what I choose to eat. It worked really well for me to keep my plans to myself, and I hope it works out for you too. :smile:

AFM--I finished those analysis activities, so all that's left now are the essays. :grumble: I also have to go through my students' annotations, but those are in their novels at school and I have no intention of lugging home 50+ copies of The Scarlet Letter. Those will wait until I get back to school.

Grading goals:
    1. 1/72 AP essays
    2. x/26 Scarlet Letter essays
    3. 11/11 "Lottery" analysis activities DONE
    4. x/52 Scarlet Letter annotations

Exercise goals:
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + gym (cardio) NOT DONE (shoveled instead)
    Fri--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) DONE
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + gym (cardio) NOT DONE (but went extra long with gunner)
    Sun--walk gunner + gym (lift and HIIT)

Exercise & Weight:
    Bench press = 85
    Dead lift = 90
    Squat = 90
    Overhead press = 55
    Upright row = 60

Overhead tricep extension = 25 (dumbbell)
    Bicep curl = 15 (dumbbell)
    Lat pull down = 100
    Tricep pull down = 90
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    bump for tomorrow :)
  • michellewalker8866
    Options
    Hello I'm new to this. My success this week is that even though I didnt get to work out this week as much as I wanted. I watched what I ate and I started my workout again. In the pass I would just say forget it and then I would get depressed. So my success this week is even with the holiday im still moving forward with me getting healthy.
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    @Skinnyjeanzbound- I have a couple runs in mind for this year. I was thinking about completing another half. The shamrockin half is going to be of course near st patricks day. My aunt would like me to run it with her and she has already signed up.

Thanks for the warm welcome. You all rock!
  • NaomiGibbins
    Options
    Thank you all for your warm welcome, and for your understanding about my keeping this quiet. I have found in the past that once I let people know I go back to my old habits.

I see that on Sunday's we are meant to say something about ourselves. I'm 41 and have been overweight since I was about 7. Mum says she doesn't know why, but I just started to eat and wouldn't stop. I've got 3 kids and have been married to their dad for almost 19 years. Got lost somewhere in the mix a long time ago, and am doing my best to find my way out. Somewhere in here is me!

I'm really loving keeping a food diary - that's how I found this sight, and I'm really glad I did.