Replies

• Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 calorie a day from a grape
  • bjdavid53
    bjdavid53 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Does it bother you that she is harming herself? 1200 is too low for someone with her stats. As I just posted, 1400 would the liquid diet her doctors would put her on to maintain life were she to go into a coma. It is called her basal metabolic rate, and it puts great stress on the body to try and function on less than that.

At least look into it and make your own informed choices.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    [/quote]

Sorry, messed that up.

What do you do if your BMR is only 1348 & you have a desk job so are sitting around for about 9 hours every day? I go to the gym 4-5 days a week but probably don't burn more than 200-300 calories for my workout. How many calories can I eat if I want to lose 1 pound a week?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 calorie a day from a grape

You must have some really small grapes.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    And we will do the same. peace out

See you again in 3 months when you've stalled and are posting asking "WHY AM I NOT LOSING WEIGHT?"

Not eating enough.
    Eat more now to have greater successes and less frustrations.

But whatevs
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Does it bother you that she is harming herself? 1200 is too low for someone with her stats. As I just posted, 1400 would the liquid diet her doctors would put her on to maintain life were she to go into a coma. It is called her basal metabolic rate, and it puts great stress on the body to try and function on less than that.

Sorry, messed that up.

What do you do if your BMR is only 1348 & you have a desk job so are sitting around for about 9 hours every day? I go to the gym 4-5 days a week but probably don't burn more than 200-300 calories for my workout. How many calories can I eat if I want to lose 1 pound a week?

Assuming your numbers are good, your goal to lose 1 pound/week is likely unrealistic.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    1200 a day here as well... Some days more, some days less!
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    -snip-

Effed up the quotes and lazy but Jof answered her question
  • thesuperfe
    thesuperfe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ever heard the phrase 'you can catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar'? The messengers who are saying "eat more than 1200" are SO NEGATIVE. No one wants to take advice from people who are so negative. People will make their own decisions about their health, and do their research (or not do their research). Folks are here looking for encouragement, and one who is wise understands how to give it, and how to correct someone to get them on the right path, and hopefully on the path that is right for that individual.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Add me! I eat 1200 calories a day...

...for lunch.

:flowerforyou:
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Ever heard the phrase 'you can catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar'? The messengers who are saying "eat more than 1200" are SO NEGATIVE. No one wants to take advice from people who are so negative. People will make their own decisions about their health, and do their research (or not do their research). Folks are here looking for encouragement, and one who is wise understands how to give it, and how to correct someone to get them on the right path, and hopefully on the path that is right for that individual.

You're perceiving them as negative.
    Only one that I can see as negative is the last one I posted in response to you.

I don't like honey anyway
  • cherry_dropz
    cherry_dropz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 a day and do pretty good for the most part! You can add me if you want
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Actually the majority were helpful and heartfelt. At worst they were disappointed at the defensiveness or lack of interest from people that we are spending time and effort trying to help. Ironically, yours was actually one of the most negative posts on the thread.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I suspect you're seeing negativity where it doesn't exist. Why is it that the suggestion for people to take what advice works for them and disregard the others is only interpreted one way? (In other words, perhaps you should disregard the advice that is phrased in a way that you don't prefer and accept that it may be beneficial to others.) Some people actually prefer more straightforward communications.

Besides, I sometimes prefer a little bit of balsamic vinegar instead of honey. For example, I haven't tried eating cooked spinach with honey, but I doubt I would like it at all.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Sorry, messed that up.

Your BMR is how much energy you use in a day, at rest (so hanging about at home all day not doing much). That's how much you should eat minimum, even on a lazy day, in order to provide your cells and vital organs energy for basic function (your body uses energy regardless of if you move or not; your heart needs energy to pump blood, your lungs need energy to breath). When you factor in how much you walk around every day, just doing everyday things like going down a hallway, most people need to consume around 1500 calories, and they'll lose weight. If you're going to the gym, you need to 'eat back' those calories to give yourself fuel for your workout. So you could probably be eating between 1600-1800 calories daily (possibly more, since I'm not privy to how much you work out, or to your personal metabolism) and be losing weight quicker and more permanently than what you would at 1200.
    *I'm no doctor or nutritionist, I'm simply a college student who's program is about physiology. But it's given me enough background to actually understand how it works.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
  • tashalloyd330
    tashalloyd330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 cal a day...but it is too low for me...I exercise and drink lots of water. However, I aim to eat and live a healthy life style. I live to motivate others to reach their goals!

I too did 1200 calories when I first started, and it is really hard to feel full unless you are near perfect with your diet and eat mostly vegetables, fruits, etc for every snack and meal. I bumped up to 1500, which was manageable. I am at 1700 now, as I am working on maintaining, and I vary from 1200-1700 depending on the day.

This is not meant to be judgmental or even to say that works for me will work for anyone else. Just saying don't be so strict on 1200 if it doesn't work out. :)
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day because I don't exercise. I feel like I'm starving all the time!!!
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have learned a ton by reading this thread. I have been eating 1200 and had no idea that I was putting myself at risk. I am reading all the links and I see that I need to re-plan! The post by the lady who's hair started falling out, and the person whose hormones got messed up really woke me up.

I am only 5'2" and only wanted to go from 136 down to 120 so I thought 1200 was what I should eat, and that is what MFP showed when I put my numbers in. I have read a lot on here and now realize that I the reason I am so exhausted and have headaches nearly everyday is probably because I am not getting enough nutrients especially now that I am exercising much more.

I'm wading through all the information, and I am a little daunted figuring it all out, but thank you for all the links. I will be eating more from now on. I might be asking for help to work out macros, I have a lot of learning to do I see.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I suspect you're seeing negativity where it doesn't exist. Why is it that the suggestion for people to take what advice works for them and disregard the others is only interpreted one way? (In other words, perhaps you should disregard the advice that is phrased in a way that you don't prefer and accept that it may be beneficial to others.) Some people actually prefer more straightforward communications.

Besides, I sometimes prefer a little bit of balsamic vinegar instead of honey. For example, I haven't tried eating cooked spinach with honey, but I doubt I would like it at all.

That was mean. Honey took that one right in the feels.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Anyone can add me! On 1200 a day :)