Please dont wear perfumes to the gym

Options

Replies

• strive4more11
    strive4more11 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Live and let live. If you have a problem with someone's perfume, make up, clothing, jewelry, etc. just go to a different part of the gym until they move. I highly doubt anyone walks into the gym and thinks "Hey, that person probably HATES when other people wear tight gym outfits so I am going to work out RIGHT NEXT TO THEM." People really need to get over themselves.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Some people come from work or school. Showering BEFORE a workout is completely unnecessary.

If your asthma gives you that much trouble maybe you should consider a home gym.
  • Lozz68
    Lozz68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I almost always have makeup + perfume on at the gym. I dont do it FOR the gym - but I definitely work hard!! I am also one of those people that has nice (even though they are cheap) gym clothes on. Doesnt automatically make me one of "those girls", in fact i am training for a powerlifting competition..
  • ChancyW
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

I think that if you're working hard enough you wouldn't have TIME to notice who is wearing makeup and who isn't.

It's like you're trying to tear other people down for not working hard enough when your OWN workout isn't even on the forefront of your mind.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Want people to not wear pink as well next? Perhaps the wrong runners? Oh wait.... want them to bring you a cookie? Why should other people have to cater to YOUR needs when you wont cater to theirs?
  • ChancyW
    Options
    Oh, and I always match at the gym as well.

It takes just a long to pick out a matching, nice outfit as it does to pick out dumpy sweats and a stained shirt.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This is a silly and useless complaint.

There used to be a hall in a random building at my university that was plastered in signs to not wear or spray scented things. It was in an area that constantly had people traveling through on their way to other classes, & I never understood how they expected to control that situation. I mean, by the time someone is actually THERE, standing in front of the sign that says 'scent-free please!', it's a little late. Because what do you expect them to do, go wash their clothes in the sink to get rid of the scent? Not gonna happen.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Krogers and their laundry detergent section was next to the meat section and the two blended in a totally disgusting way so I stopped shopping there.

The smell of flowers and decay....hmmmmm

If smells affect you in such a way I would suggest nose plugs and mouth breathing.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    No you can't dictate what people do and dont wear, but you can have some common sense and courtesy. However, of course you can't "de-scent" yourself of every item with smell either, and even possibly *think* of every single thing which someone may be sensitive to. Common courtesy is the guideline, think of it like sound: if you are talking in a movie theater, it may be annoying, but if its toned down, you really can't legitimately do much, even though its rude. But if you talk loudly and yell in the movie theater its very distracting, you deserve to be kicked out. Just like stinky BO monsters who wont wear any deodorant and perfume marinating metrosexuals both need a swift kick in the *kitten* out the door from the gym if they wont quit.

Now on the other side of the coin, if you keenly sensitive to any sound as a migraine sufferer, why are you in a movie theater? If you are allergic to any scent, why are you in a gym? You will get smell no matter what: rubberized mats, plastics, shower and soap smells, bathroom smells, heck even the iron smells (good ;) )...its not the place for someone so sensitive, sorry but I dont see how you could possibly tolerate it anyways. As long as someone isn't becoming a radiating stench bomb in some way I don't think there is room to complain about these everyday unavoidable smells that you HAVE to expect to be there already, so how can you complain really?

Makeup and clothing?? So what if they want to dress like Lady GaGa, you don't have to look at them, but you do have to breathe.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    As someone that does have severe asthma, and highly sensitive to perfumes, yes the cleaning aisle in the grocery store is torture (so I make my husband pick up anything we need from there), I know it's MY responsibility to control my asthma triggers. This is one of the reasons I have set up my home gym, because here I can control it.

I can't expect to go to a gym and tell everyone don't wear this or that because it might trigger my asthma, that's not their responsibility or problem its MINE. So I found a solution that works for me, if going to a gym triggers your asthma find a solution that you can control.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I can understand that people are coming from work or other places but I also believe that perfume and cologne are a personal choice and only you and the person closest to you should be able to smell you. And this isn't only at the gym. Think about if you work at a hospital and spray a few sprays of your favorite perfume or body spray before leaving for work in the morning and then you get in the elevator at work with people who are there with whatever illness brings them there. I walked up 10 flights of steps in the parking garage to avoid the chance again that day. You have no idea how that smell could make them feel. I suffer from chronic migraine with aura, at the beginning of a migraine I lose part of my vision and sometimes the ability to speak coherently and that's before the pain starts. Strong scents are one of my triggers and in my personal life I've arranged things so that I don't have to deal with them in my space. I'm not a perfume hater. I actually miss being able to wear perfume. I love the smell of a some candles. My body just can not tolerate them. No, I don't expect people to not wear perfume or cologne but they could realize that it's their choice to wear it and that they are the only ones who want to smell it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

Really now...because I workout on weights...I don't have sweat streaming down my face when I work out...

Ah now I see "taking up machines" that explains your comment.

Note to self : continue to avoid the "machines" in the gym the women there are nasty. Hangry perhaps.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

I think that if you're working hard enough you wouldn't have TIME to notice who is wearing makeup and who isn't.

It's like you're trying to tear other people down for not working hard enough when your OWN workout isn't even on the forefront of your mind.

This. If you have time to notice how much makeup someone is wearing, maybe you are the one "not working hard enough" and maybe YOU are the one "taking up the machines"
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

I used to wear make up at the gym because I either went on my lunch or after work. I wasn't going to wash my face before I worked out because I didn't have the time. It didn't mean I didn't workout hard or that I did it to "look cute".
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't like it when chicks lay on their ****e bath and body works fruity spray, that bothers me. But if you're mildly scented of the lotion or body wash you used that morning, I think that's fine. There's also a dude at my gym who smells of oakmoss and it's quite nice sometimes.

As for makeup, I apply BB cream, concealer under my eyes and mascara. I like to look fresh. Sue me.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Wonder what people think when I crop dust the cardio section.

You know what I find incredibly distracting? Yoga pants. Not complaining though. : ) Carry on ladies.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    The perfume complaint I can get on board with (I'm a vile mouthbreather), but I've also never come across someone who applied so much that it really bothered me, and I'm sensitive to smells, as in I get headaches very easily. If someone wants to cake on the makeup before working out however, who cares? Their loss, they just wasted makeup.

agreed.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    I don't like it when chicks lay on their ****e bath and body works fruity spray, that bothers me. But if you're mildly scented of the lotion or body wash you used that morning, I think that's fine. There's also a dude at my gym who smells of oakmoss and it's quite nice sometimes.

As for makeup, I apply BB cream, concealer under my eyes and mascara. I like to look fresh. Sue me.

^^^^^^^ yup
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    Wonder what people think when I crop dust the cardio section.

You know what I find incredibly distracting? Yoga pants. Not complaining though. : ) Carry on ladies.

lmao
  • EricaSlaughter
    EricaSlaughter Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Insecurities about your skin and skin tone may cause make-up to be worn. Maybe we should actually focus on working out and not what other people are doing or wearing in the gym. :)