Steroids and Dating and Attraction

Options
1151617181921»

Replies

• iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Equally amused by the people who think that steroid users do no work at all.

lmfao.

they still work harder than you do.

This lol. And none of them have a decent physique of their own. And they don't know jack *kitten* about building one either. With or without steroids. :huh:
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, from discussions with my young female friends it seems to me that men who are overly muscular are massively unattractive.

Similar to the way many guys don't find stick thin models attractive.

Don't get me wrong, guys who are well defined because they look after themselves and have a low body fat percentage look gorgeous ( e.g Alexander Skarsgard is actually perfection) - but those who are obsessed enough with bodybuilding to actually take steroids etc are the polar opposite to me. I'd much rather date a guy who is a little chubby than one that is too muscly.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Used to be completely against steroids til I learned more about them. Have never used anything but most likely will in the future after I reach my goals. I compete in powerlifting and steroids are a tool to take you to the next level and it's not cheating because everyone at that level is on them. Personally I won't even consider taking them until I hit certain weights in each lift. The only people I look down on that take steroids are the people that take them as soon as or soon after they start lifting. I don't look down on pro athletes that take them because most pro athletes are on them, so it's not cheating, just evening the playing field.

I powerlifted drug free for years. Never had an issue with the steroid users- as long as they stayed in the untested classes. Generally, there were more people in the tested classes than untested, because those of us who were clean wanted an even field of competition. It was pretty obvious who was on and who wasn't. The 260lb with visible abs guy benching 750 was rarely clean. The 140lb woman squatting 500 (with the sideburns and deep voice) wasn't clean, but to each their own. It was a lot of fun watching people put up huge weight and all of them were VERY dedicated to their craft. It wasn't a shortcut for anyone.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, from discussions with my young female friends it seems to me that men who are overly muscular are massively unattractive.

Don't get me wrong, guys who are well defined because they look after themselves and have a low body fat percentage look gorgeous ( e.g Alexander Skarsgard is actually perfection) - but those who are obsessed enough with bodybuilding to actually take steroids etc are the polar opposite to me. I'd much rather date a guy who is a little chubby than one that is too muscly.
    While I think its definitely your right to choose who you go out with of course, I just want to point out that the vast majority of steroid users don't look like Mr Olympia. Many of them would probably actually fit into your ideal look like they look after themselves type actually :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This thread is almost 2 years old...
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Hadn't realised. Still, an interesting topic.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options

While I think its definitely your right to choose who you go out with of course, I just want to point out that the vast majority of steroid users don't look like Mr Olympia. Many of them would probably actually fit into your ideal look like they look after themselves type actually :)

That would just be too sad. To take steroids (which may very well do irreversible damage your body and brain) and all you get is this:

alexander-skarsgard-shirtless-for-cut-copy-free-your-mind.jpg
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    QUESTION FOR THE WOMEN: Would you ever date/marry a man who has used/uses steroids or prohormones? Would you be able to respect them? Because after the first impressions of physical attraction, a conscious effort has to be made to overcome that, once knowing he shoots himself in the butt with steroids lol. Would that be morally a dealbreaker for you? Granted, this may be a morality issue, as I'm sure lots of people here use recreational drugs and whatnot and steroids can be arguably defended as safer than prescription pill poppers looking to get high.

I was married to a man doing steroids. (Started 18.5 years into a 19 year marriage). He's jacked to the max, holds titles in powerlifiting, and looks phenomenal. He's still someone I'm attracted to on a physical level. But steroids changed him so much. He went from a very nice guy, to a guy who flies off the handle. From an awesome dad, to one who doesn't bother with his kids. From a good husband, to one who cheats. And one who has rage hit. That's not someone to be with. Ever, ever again.

Morally, I don't care. It's the Jeckyll/Hyde effect I will never deal with.

Correlation does not equal causation.

6 months of steroids did not do this to your husband. Easy to blame steroids though. But 6 months (6 months! that's one cycle) did not do it. There is no science and very very little trustworthy anecdotal evidence to even support such a claim. Maybe he began using because something else was up? That is usually the case in these examples.

This thread is is a great teaching lesson in statistics and research. Science and first hand anecdotal evidence is a LOT more valid than secondhand reports. I think most of the husbands and exes in this thread, the ones who actually used, would give a very different reason

These misconceptions are exactly why steroids were banned in the US to begin with. Football player families blaming steroids for brain problems and suicides despite scientific evidence to the contrary. Parents blaming steroids for their high school son's suicide...despite said high schooler suffering from depression years before and dabbling with rec drugs.

It took decades for men to finally be able to get clinical treatment for low testosterone legally (until a few years ago, it was very very difficult). Because of misconceptions and horribly wrong second hand accounts.

We have a nation were every woman can easily get hormonal birth control. Little girls can get it in some states with no parental consent. The female power groups won that battle and then some. And yet, 50 year old men can barely get their hormone levels brought to normal levels legally because of all the 'evils' of testosterone. This ridiculous ANTI SCIENCE has worsened the lives of hundreds of thousands, if not, millions of men. Until recently, HRT drugs couldn't even air commercials. It's taken decades for the stigma of steroid use to be broken down enough to get a scientific discourse started again.

Eh, you sounds like the Bigger, Stronger, Faster documentary. Say what you want, I know as soon as my ex is starting a cycle. He's a completely different person.

I'll never say steroids is a shortcut, or that he doesn't work incredibly hard, or that he doesn't look fantastic. I agree that there is a lot of medical necessity for various hormones. I also can fully admit that aesthetically, I prefer it. But when he's on, he's not the person I fell in love with. And after 20 years, it's incredibly easy to spot the difference.
  • obsidianwings
    Options

That would just be too sad. To take steroids (which may very well do irreversible damage your body and brain) and all you get is this:

alexander-skarsgard-shirtless-for-cut-copy-free-your-mind.jpg
    LOL
    I actually had no idea what he looked like :P just going on her description of the type she prefers, vs the huge over muscled men she thinks all steroid takers are thats all
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'll also say that I know quite a few people on. I know a lot of powerlifters and bodybuilders. I know they're on, because we've talked about it, but I haven't see a difference in their personalities/demeanor. I also haven't lived and shared my life with any of them. I know steroids don't effect some people. And I feel like it's a personal choice to use them or not, and like I first stated, I don't have a moral issue.

But the question was, as a woman, would I date/marry someone using. And I have to say no, never again, based on my experience.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Used to be completely against steroids til I learned more about them. Have never used anything but most likely will in the future after I reach my goals. I compete in powerlifting and steroids are a tool to take you to the next level and it's not cheating because everyone at that level is on them. Personally I won't even consider taking them until I hit certain weights in each lift. The only people I look down on that take steroids are the people that take them as soon as or soon after they start lifting. I don't look down on pro athletes that take them because most pro athletes are on them, so it's not cheating, just evening the playing field.

I powerlifted drug free for years. Never had an issue with the steroid users- as long as they stayed in the untested classes. Generally, there were more people in the tested classes than untested, because those of us who were clean wanted an even field of competition. It was pretty obvious who was on and who wasn't. The 260lb with visible abs guy benching 750 was rarely clean. The 140lb woman squatting 500 (with the sideburns and deep voice) wasn't clean, but to each their own. It was a lot of fun watching people put up huge weight and all of them were VERY dedicated to their craft. It wasn't a shortcut for anyone.

Definitely. That's one of the things I like about powerlifting, if you choose to stay natural you can actually compete against other people that are natural for the most part. Told myself I'd get at least a 350 bench, 500 squat, and 550 dead RAW in the 181 class before I'd even consider taking anything, who knows maybe I'll set some new natural goals after that. But I was just saying that at one point if I want to continue to progress the way I want to and compete at the level I want to it will have to happen.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    QUESTION FOR THE WOMEN: Would you ever date/marry a man who has used/uses steroids or prohormones? Would you be able to respect them? Because after the first impressions of physical attraction, a conscious effort has to be made to overcome that, once knowing he shoots himself in the butt with steroids lol. Would that be morally a dealbreaker for you? Granted, this may be a morality issue, as I'm sure lots of people here use recreational drugs and whatnot and steroids can be arguably defended as safer than prescription pill poppers looking to get high.

No. I wouldn't date or marry a man on anabolic steroids or prohormones. It's not a moral issue. I have just had to put up with enough *kitten* from people in my life who use drugs "recreationally" and whether or not they are safe has little to do with it. I know that steroids only amplify personality traits, but those I've known who took them were already *kitten* so they just became bigger *kitten*.

Past use isn't an issue really, although the level of vanity it involves is a little off-putting.

And I'm not attracted to men for their muscles. I want a man (or woman) with whom I feel an emotional and psychological connection and I'm thankful that I have that with my husband. I've dated fat, thin, short, tall and everything in between.
  • wespipes81
    wespipes81 Posts: 1
    Options
    It's amazing the misconceptions everyone has about steroids. Steroids do not change your personality AT ALL. If you're a bully, an *kitten* hole or whatever. If you get big you're gonna see that side more cause they guy thinks he can do it to more people or what not. Steroids have long term side effects if not used right. If used right there are zero side effects. Steroids are not some miracle drug you take and then look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. No it still requires a LOT of work. I'm really disappointed in seeing how many girls have said no they wouldn't date someone on steroids. It's sad how ignorant your being. You know all the actors you drool over. All the athletes you and your lady friends gossip about? Ya well new flash 90% of them are on or have used steroids regularly. Most are still on.