A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I don't think you understand what ketones are. When your body doesn't have enough insulin to help it break down glocuse into the blood for energy, it breaks fat down into ketones instead. This is NOT normal and is also VERY dangerous to the body. It's what happens to people with Type I Diabetes that puts them into Diabetic Ketoacidosis and potentially a coma, and even death. It doesn't happen in the NORMAL body.

Please stop with the ketone malarky.

Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs due to a combination of different factors, not simply the presence of ketones in your blood. Mere ketones alone are insufficient to diagnose a state of diabetic ketoacidosis and eating a low carb diet that results in a state of ketosis does not magically lead to diabetic ketoacidosis. Please stop with the fear mongering.

You have to be eating probably less than 50g of carbs a day to be in ketosis, that's not what I am talking about. I agree with this post.

It seems some ones is believing the press a bit too much.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with mac donalds once in a while.

But is you at it all the time I think it would prove the point a calorie is not just a calorie.

Except it proves the opposite, which you would know if you got your information from multiple diverse sources and actually had some experience and knowledge in the subject of nutrition and weight loss.

Okay, what nutrition would you get from a burger and fries from MacDonalds????

Big Mac® sandwich
    Serving Size 209 (g)
    Calories 540 (Kcal)
    Fat 29 (g) 45 (% DV)
    Saturated Fat 10 (g)
    Trans Fat 0.5 (g)
    Saturated Fat + Trans Fat 53 (% DV)
    Cholestrol 70 (mg)
    Sodium 1020 (mg) 43 (% DV)
    Carbohydrate 44 (g) 15 (% DV)
    Fibre 3 (g) 12 (% DV)
    Sugar 9 (g)
    Protein 24 (g)
    Vitamin A 10 (% DV)
    Vitamin C 4 (% DV)
    Calcium 25 (% DV)
    Iron 35 (% DV)

French Fries - Medium
    Serving Size 113 (g)
    Calories 360 (Kcal)
    Fat 17 (g) 26 (% DV)
    Saturated Fat 2 (g)
    Trans Fat 0.2 (g)
    Saturated Fat + Trans Fat 11 (% DV)
    Cholestrol 0 (mg)
    Sodium 270 (mg) 11 (% DV)
    Carbohydrate 47 (g) 16 (% DV)
    Fibre 4 (g) 16 (% DV)
    Sugar 0 (g)
    Protein 4 (g)
    Vitamin A 0 (% DV)
    Vitamin C 0 (% DV)
    Calcium 2 (% DV)
    Iron 6 (% DV)

There you have it.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Even I couldn't make out why is everyone so critical about the article...
    It's pretty decent and very much the truth...that's what we've been taught from school isn't it
    Balanced diet, include protiens less of sugar,...etc
    I read first two pages of response and was hoping at least 1 person would back him.

We are not backing the article because most of her claims are wrong. A calorie is a calorie because it is a unit of measure. She is not talking about different calories affecting different things, shes talking about nutrition. But because she wont admit that she is wrong instead she contradicts herself every few paragraphs and has no good citations. I looked at one for the statement that insulin is a fat storage hormone and it was linked to a soda drinking study that has nothing to do with insulins function as a hormone.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't think you understand what ketones are. When your body doesn't have enough insulin to help it break down glocuse into the blood for energy, it breaks fat down into ketones instead. This is NOT normal and is also VERY dangerous to the body. It's what happens to people with Type I Diabetes that puts them into Diabetic Ketoacidosis and potentially a coma, and even death. It doesn't happen in the NORMAL body.

Please stop with the ketone malarky.

Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs due to a combination of different factors, not simply the presence of ketones in your blood. Mere ketones alone are insufficient to diagnose a state of diabetic ketoacidosis and eating a low carb diet that results in a state of ketosis does not magically lead to diabetic ketoacidosis. Please stop with the fear mongering.

You have to be eating probably less than 50g of carbs a day to be in ketosis, that's not what I am talking about. I agree with this post.

It seems some ones is believing the press a bit too much.

pretty sure that post wasnt directed towards you nor was it referring to Ketosis which is different from diabetic ketoacidosis.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Stepped away to grab a poptart and missed 3 pages!

Ooooo...... Pop Tarts. Better than popcorn for a thread like this, but I'm unsure if the calories in Pop Tarts are the same as those in popcorn. Maybe the Pop Tart calories are superior due to their toastyness or maybe the popcorn ones are due to their saltiness? Maybe we should start a thread on that topic. It'd make as much sense as this thread.

I definitely think we need a thread to decide which is going to store as fat quicker PopTarts or Popcorn. Once you toast a PopTart the calories are all good right? So how many pages did I miss just typing this
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I eat primal.

Wanted to see how other diets stack up.

And I'll be honest not that impressed with MFP.

Some (not all) seem to be a bit naïve and uneducated about how food is broken down in the body,

By educated you of course mean the story made up that cherrypicks a bit of research (generally from low level, low respect journals) that somewhat supports it (ignoring all the stuff that doesn't) despite rejecting and downright laughing at the "wrong" mainstream establishment interpretation of said research and all other research.

Who's the naïve one?

You think that Mark, a suppliment salesman, gets it right, while thousands of pH level nutrition researchers are wrong. Gotcha.

Never go to just one source of information the best way to get information is to go through multiple sources.

Or maybe just do everything people on MFP say?? Is that what you mean?

So, because we're saying: eat a calorie deficit, eat any type of foods at moderation, weigh foods to be accurate, and we've been doing this for a while, doing our research, and we've all been successful at it, we don't know what we're talking about? And you, who is following a fad diet that is not nutritionally sound, still has weight to lose, and hasn't done the research, want to discount everything we're saying? Why are you even in the forums?

I don't know.

I kinda stumbled in and now I'm hooked.

One of your members posted an article which does not in anyway state that what you are doing will not be successful, they just explained how the food you consume is dealt with by your bodies and a lot of you have just dismissed it because it does not fit into the paradigm you have been told.

Believe it or not the earth is not flat.

That article is crap, with constant contradictions and nothing cited. Crap is crap is crap.

As it would happen calories are calories are calorie so the title of this thread? Also crap.

Macros and nutrition are a separate (though related) issue. But the thread didn't state "All food choices aren't equal" or "The Body doesn't break down all macronutrients the same." It says a calorie isn't a calorie. And that's false.

I think what it is trying to say is not all calories are created equal. Different foods do (or offer) different things to the body. I think maybe some of you got a bit hung up on the title.

A lot of you seem really touchy, I don't think anyone is belittling your efforts. You've all been on a journey and come out the other end better for it (or some are still on that journey).

You've lost weight because you've regulated your bodies ability to burn the calories you have consumed either through extra exercise (or general movement) or through consuming less calories.

All the article was trying to do was explain how that worked (it's not magic, there is some science behind it). Agreed there were some patchy bits but on the whole the article was accurate.

However your wrong all calories are created equal. Its a unit of MEASURE, there is no difference. Foods are not equal.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    your body will switch to keytones and burn that as well.

Ketones.

Not keytones.

Keytones is a band. Ketones are chemicals.

Good lord man.

Outrageous, just because I've got a faty index figure which keeps hitting the t&y together.

Hater!

really...EVERY time? One or two times, I can believe that...but every time?

And it's fatty index finger...:flowerforyou:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

God, what I wouldn't give to sit down with you and, on video, ask you to define many of the terms in that abstract. That would be so much fun.
    While none of the terms are hard to define, I'm really enjoying the phrase "extrahepatic hormonal milieu". :flowerforyou:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    So do I put the real sugar, or the sugar free syrup in my mid-morning coffee?

TELL ME WHICH ONE KILLS ME FASTER.
    Put both in, they counteract each other.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Hello, have you seen a lot a people out there (I include myself in that statement - previous over consumer).

Why did you originally join MFP, for the stimulating conversation.

Gonna cut out the rest because I don't want to destroy reality as we know it.
    I joined so I can count my calories. Which I've been doing. With good results. Still eating plenty of carbs. But never ate so many
    that it would fill up 2000 calories. That would be 500 grams of carbs btw.

An as you are probably burning them all great. There's nothing wrong with eating carbs and burning them if you choose to do this. The problem is over eating them.

I'm not anti carb, some of my best friend know people who eat them.

You sound like you're anti-carb though, since you don't seem to be even entertaining the thought that exactly the same can happen if you eat too much fat and protein with no carbs.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

God, what I wouldn't give to sit down with you and, on video, ask you to define many of the terms in that abstract. That would be so much fun.
    While none of the terms are hard to define, I'm really enjoying the phrase "extrahepatic hormonal milieu". :flowerforyou:

I guarantee most of them would be pretty hard for a guy who says "keytones" over and over to define. :wink:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Lipolysis breaks down the amino acids

Exactly wrong. Lipolysis is the breakdown of lipids. Lipo- means lipids, which are fats, and lysis means hydrolysis, which is the breaking of a chemical bond with the use of a water molecule.

Of course, you wouldn't know that because you learn that sort of thing in organic chemistry. And people who have taken organic chemistry know what a ketone is. People who know something about chemistry don't need to remember what "lipolysis" is because it's obvious from the root words. People who don't know anything about chemistry need to remember what it means, and are therefore prone to misremembering it.

I thought lipolysis was the release of triglycerides and that the fatty acids in the liver are then converted into ketones? well if I'm wrong I apologies.

I will convert to the MFP religion immediately (when do the aliens land)?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    This thread is so hot, it's burning a hole straight through the interwebz.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Shamefully late for this one.

But - in. For keytones.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Mores the point the reason I am losing weight is because I am eating about 100g of carbs a day and mainly protein (plus chocolate and wine).

FYI - Low carbing tends to work great for people who have low insulin sensitivity that don't do a lot of exercise; fat out of shape people.

As you get lose weight and lean out and your capacity for high intensity exercise increases, low carbing will start becoming problematic.

Your insulin sensitivity rises a great deal and your exercise requires more and more glycogen.

The signaling pathways for the main metabolic master controller hormone (which interacts with a number of other hormones, incl testosterone, cortisol, serotonin, and ghrelin, and is primarily responsible for metabolism regulation), leptin, is via carbs. Glycogen levels (stored carbs in the body) signal your fat tissue to produce it, and leptin is a hormone you don't want too little of. If you have a lot of fat tissue, you need very little in the way of a carb signal. As fat tissue declines, you need a much stronger signal from higher carb levels to keep the leptin signal high. The way the body uses one energy storage system to tell the other to make it, leptin acts like an energy state signal. As it drops, your body starts to think that it is starving, and it employs countermeasures to prevent starvation.

When leptin drops, side effects include:
    - Loss of sex drive (which can lead to the extremes of no period in females and inability to perform in males)
    - Lowered metabolism (lethargy and cold perception are two key indicators of this)
    - Permanent insatiable hunger (incl food dreams, unfilling meals, and loss of interest in snacking)
    - Manic hunger (the need to eat starts to totally consume your thoughts)
    - High unexplained stress and sleepnessless

When you get lean, even eating a standard carb diet isn't enough; when in a calorie deficit huge carb bombs, refeeds, become necessary to slow the rate of leptin dropping to prevent cutting from turning into torture. Diet breaks become necessary to restore leptin levels.

Exercise performance is heavily tied to carb intake, especially as you get leaner. With increasing insulin sensitiviy, your ability to use carbs for fuel also increases. It makes quite a dramatic difference.

While low carbing may be working great for you now, don't assume that will always be the case or assume it is the case for others. That is more of an indication that you are fat and out of shape than anything else. As you get leaner and exercise capacity increases, low carbing will introduce a significant amount of drag on your progress.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Have you ever wondered why some of the new people, particularly ones with a lot to lose, struggle so hard to accept such a simple concept?

Maybe it's because many have struggled for years trying to lose weight. Lots of rules, lots of diets, lots of failed attempts. Losing weight has been Hard, and they're not happy.

Then they come here and see all the "happy fit folk" saying its easy. And it's not! In their minds , it is hell. And for us to come in and tell them its not is a huge slap in the face.

This process is personal. And emotional. Some of them need hand holding and a lot of encouragement. Changing your world view is tough. And even though the mechanism of weight loss is simple. Cals in < cals out, the emotional changes are not.

Just a few thoughts. Kinda off topic. I'm sorry.

I do get that, but I also think that they get mad because they want us to tell them they have to give something up, like cake or beef or carbs. Then they can tell themselves they've done that and achieved something, like "eating clean". I kind of compare it to when my sone came out to my husband when he was 16. He was all geared up for this big confrontation and when my husband was calm and said he was okay with it my son blew up and got very angry, simply because he was expecting a big fight. Noobs expect something hard, so they can say, I've made this big change to my eating, not just "I'm still eating the same, only less of it."

I think maybe they get mad because ALL THIS TIME they have struggled, and now they realize that they didn't have to. To all of a sudden accept that losing weight does not have to be torture, that living healthy is not a miserable carrot eating death sentence... that is to acknowledge that years lost being unable to do the things they wanted to do, or feel the ways they wanted to feel... those years didn't need to be lost.

Sometimes it is easier to accept a hard complicated solution, because it doesn't make us feel like we've wasted time.

My mom has struggled for 40 years with her weight. 40 years of crash diets, self loathing, weight watchers, how, u weight loss, 1200 cals a day. When I tell her what I do, and how I eat, she wants to cry. She doesn't want to believe that the last 40 years of struggling were not necessary. She gets mad, and depressed, and reaches for the cake. She's not ready yet.

An analogy... It's like those magic 3D pictures popular in the 90s... I had one in my class when they first came out. And for the life of me I couldn't see see the 3d image. I stared for hours, crosseyed, nose to glass, did all the tricks... andit PISSED ME OFF that all my friends could see it. Once I learned HOW - I could no longer NOT see the image. There was no going back. It was easy.

Some of these people are trying and working and struggling, and getting frustrated at all the people who can "see the image". And they can't. And some of them may feel like the ones who can are calling them complete idiots. Once they figure it out, they'll be off and running. Until then, standing there and yelling at them to LOOK HARDER is not going to help.

So we just keep explaining, gently, how it all works, and hope eventually they will see.

spring.jpg
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Hello, have you seen a lot a people out there (I include myself in that statement - previous over consumer).

Why did you originally join MFP, for the stimulating conversation.

Gonna cut out the rest because I don't want to destroy reality as we know it.
    I joined so I can count my calories. Which I've been doing. With good results. Still eating plenty of carbs. But never ate so many
    that it would fill up 2000 calories. That would be 500 grams of carbs btw.

An as you are probably burning them all great. There's nothing wrong with eating carbs and burning them if you choose to do this. The problem is over eating them.

I'm not anti carb, some of my best friend know people who eat them.

You sound like you're anti-carb though, since you don't seem to be even entertaining the thought that exactly the same can happen if you eat too much fat and protein with no carbs.

I'm not anti carb, far from it I eat about 150g a day.

Yes I agree that the same would happen if you over consumed any food.

The point of my post was there is a reason members of MFP lost weight and no it's not magic.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Great, I did it. Now I am dead. I am going to haunt you.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Great, I did it. Now I am dead. I am going to haunt you.

I've heard the sixth sense is always the sexiest.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Lipolysis breaks down the amino acids

Exactly wrong. Lipolysis is the breakdown of lipids. Lipo- means lipids, which are fats, and lysis means hydrolysis, which is the breaking of a chemical bond with the use of a water molecule.

Of course, you wouldn't know that because you learn that sort of thing in organic chemistry. And people who have taken organic chemistry know what a ketone is. People who know something about chemistry don't need to remember what "lipolysis" is because it's obvious from the root words. People who don't know anything about chemistry need to remember what it means, and are therefore prone to misremembering it.

I thought lipolysis was the release of triglycerides and that the fatty acids in the liver are then converted into ketones? well if I'm wrong I apologies.

I will convert to the MFP religion immediately (when do the aliens land)?

It appears you're also unaware that amino acids are what make up proteins, and that they are very different from fatty acids and triglycerides.

Amino acids are so named because they contain amine groups. Amines are nitrogen-containing compounds. Fatty acids contain carboxyl groups and no nitrogen.

Proteins are strings of amino acids joined by peptide bonds, which are then folded and bent into rather interesting shapes.