Why are you fat?

Options

Replies

• amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy. It didn't help that I had very low blood pressure and I kept being told to keep eating so that my blood pressure could stay up (not the best advice I've ever heard, but they didn't have any other things to recommend me). I stayed overweight until my daughter was 4 years old. Though I tried counting calories and I was actively exercising between having my daughter and until she was 4 years old, I didn't know what I was doing wrong. I finally went to WW as a last resort. And that's when I learned how to eat better and I lose the weight. I went from a size 16 to a 6. I've been a size 6 now for 18 months.

This year I've been working on eating as much homemade food as possible. I work hard not to eat processed foods. It's always a work in progress for me. It's not easy to eat healthy and making your own meals when you work full time and are a mom. But the reason why I was fat was that I just didn't know what I was doing wrong. I thought a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it came from. I was very wrong.
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm always honest so may make myself sound terrible :P lol however I've always been obese, not just overweight, even as a child, don't think I've been a healthy weight since before the age of 1 years old. That followed through to adulthood and just amplified more than anything, never kept the weight off and it's definitely time to do something drastic about it and keep it off this time! I love food, not just take aways but all food, however I did eat take aways most nights as it's easier and honestly I'm a pretty lazy person, no excuse for it.

I have such a strong sweet tooth which is a pain :/
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Was always a bit pudgy into my teens..but was also so active it never got out of control.

Got out of school..moved..met a guy....end of story. Was introduced to World of Warcraft and Everquest and spent 8-10 hours a day when I wasn't working playing and eating in front of the PC..I got lazy..and the more I got big the worse it got because of how depressed I was getting. I ate when I was bored..sad..mad..angry..happy..i ate to deal with childhood issues like anyone else. I lived in a small po-dunk town where there were 2 stop lights a Wal-Mart and 25 fast food places. Beer and partying became my new thing..and eating at Huddle House at 2am made me happy...

Theres a ton of reasons why we do this to ourselves..but I don't blame anyone else for the way I am. Its MY fault. Its my own responsibility to take care of my body. No one can do it for me.. We are the only ones who can stop the train wreck. So That's why I am here..to take control..to work through my issues and deal with things I have pushed into the far corners of my mind for years. Its proving to be harder than I thought..but im getting through it. Wishing you all the best of luck.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Cos I like food and I dislike exercise.
  • mindyschmacht
    mindyschmacht Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Long post full of excuses short: I'm lazy. I'm lazy and I eat a whole damn lot. I eat a damn lot of ice cream, soda, Kool Aid, sweet tea, etc. Period. I'm fat because I'm a lazy over eater.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use food as the answer to every emotion. Happy ? Celebrate with food and alcohol. Sad? Console myself with cake and pizza. Bored? Crunch on some chips. I'm trying to pause and ask '...but am I actually hungry?' now and if not, try a glass of water or doing something else for 10 minutes to distract me. It is working so far...
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just believe that, the more I weigh, the more of the Universe is under my direct control.
  • 4MissRose
    Options
    Since I've always been overweight I'd say it started with bad eating habits growing up (fat parents, fat children) and then when I was old enough to do something about it... I didn't. I still ate too much, ate the wrong foods and just kept going at it, even though I knew better. And it doesn't help that I turned to food as an emotional stabilizer. Ah well, I'm doing something about it now, and that's what matters.
  • looneytunes32
    looneytunes32 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Couple of reasons...
    -when I was younger, I could eat anything and stay a size 5. I no longer can do that, but I still want to eat everything.
    -comfort food. I like to cook it, and I love to eat it.
    oh, and another reason...
    -boredom at work...if it's a boring project I'm working on, the office snack box calls my name.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Red wine.
  • minibandit
    Options
    The Chinese take-away down the road force-fed me.

Yeah, I'm a lazy glutton.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was eating the same sized portions as my husband
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Because I'm an emotional eater...still am. Instead, NOW I eat to celebrate things and not because I'm sad. I get stressed very easily and that's when I used to console myself with food and alcohol. Now, I just use the gym. Whenever I'm really stressed, I just workout. Also, I am fat because I used to exercise maybe once per year...if that. Bottom line: I was lazy and only liked high-calorie foods with little to no nutritional value.
  • Valerie2138
    Valerie2138 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Two things: having babies and stress. Stress from family/kids and stress from work. Stress, stress, stress...
  • happypoodle
    Options
    Emotional eating plus the contraceptive implant. I was always big as a teenager but about 4 years ago I worked hard, lost 3 stone and got pretty fit. Then I hit a fairly stressful time in my life, and at the same time as that got the contraceptive implant. I piled it all on within a year.
    I know people say the implant doesn't affect it but I felt it did. It's out now and I am back on track, though haven't lost a massive amount yet. I am eating even healthier than I did when I lost weight before, I am now vegetarian and eat a lot of raw food as well. So hopefully it will start coming off again.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    For me, also, a lot of it has been boredom at work. For many, many years.
    Couple of reasons...
    -when I was younger, I could eat anything and stay a size 5. I no longer can do that, but I still want to eat everything.
    -comfort food. I like to cook it, and I love to eat it.
    oh, and another reason...
    -boredom at work...if it's a boring project I'm working on, the office snack box calls my name.
  • melzielkie
    melzielkie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I WAS fat my entire life because I just shoveled whatever garbage food I could find into my mouth! Thank goodness I put an end to that trend!!
  • KnewBGNG
    KnewBGNG Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not really sure, Although I know food had something to do with it!
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Was always thin until teaching. Stressful job, eating sugar for energy, then go fat! Lost weight, but the cycle continued with stressful jobs. I tend to eat more when I am doing a job I hate :-(

I am a stay at home mom now, and I'm trying to NOT overeat...I love my new "job" but...being home all day can get tedious.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Because over the past 3-4 years I allowed my career (and one particular job I had for the past 3 years) to literally take over my entire life. My former employer thought they owned me, I was never not working. I've never been in an abusive relationship with a man, but I can honestly say that the relationship I had with my job was absolutely abusive. Since losing this job, it has been extremely emotional and a time for recovery. Since being laid off 2.5 months ago I've lost 7 lbs, and even tho I have a ways to go I am eating and exercising and living my life the way *I* want to, to the fullest for me, I am no longer "on call" for anybody at all hours of the day or night, and that makes everything happier and less stressful. I know it'll take time to recover from the emotional turmoil and confusion of why people would use me and abuse me like that (for nothing but $$ and profit no less), but this community has helped me SO MUCH in realizing that there are so many people who have gotten over HUGE hurdles in their health and life and got healthy and remain so. So, thanks all. My rant is over. :)