Can a man and woman be good friends without...?

Options

Replies

• a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Without actions? Possibly.

Without thoughts? No.

This.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Single friends, I don't know. Sometimes, I guess. I can't say I ever had a guy friend that was single and attractive, and I was single, that there wasn't some sort of thought, if not necessarily action. If there's no attraction, then yes, I suppose.

I did/do have lots of couples friends though, where I'm friends with the wife, ex is friends with the husband, and we all hung out together without any thoughts or actions.

But I think hanging out with a guy one on one, if there was attraction, I'd probably act on it, thereby making the whole friend thing moot.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Without actions? Possibly.

Without thoughts? No.

This.

+1
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    some of my closest friends are guys and sex never comes up. One of them has even tried to set me up with another of his friends. So, yes, it can happen.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    yes and no, I have lots of male friends that I have no sexual desire for them, and then I have others that I do.

But if I didn't have that desire with my husband, we wouldn't have ever had kids. and we started off as friends..
  • mmartinez_az
    Options
    Nope, next question.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I think a woman can. Not sure about a guy though. I have tons of guy friends, and they have all readily admitted that they would definitely get with me, if they had the chance! Maybe knowing that there is no chance enables us to be friends.
  • kvcreed
    kvcreed Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Nope, not in my experience.

I used to think men and women could just be friends. I had some very close male friends for years and years before finding out the real reason they were my "friends". Now, I have some male friends but not "close". They are primarily my husband's friends whom I also talk to. I wouldn't invite them over to hang out alone like I would a woman. This is why I don't accept male friend requests on here.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    All the guy friends I've ever had that I thought I was just going to be friends with, we end up sleeping together :/ the only exception is my female friends husbands. I'll become friends with them and obviously there's never any sexual tention there but I think that's because in my mind I KNOW they are off limits. And, then again, they are my friends by association, not someone I'd call to go hang out with...
  • Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My best friend for a while was a beautiful woman named Molly. We had everything in common, hung out all the time, and things were perfect. I was amazed that we could be such great friends without feelings getting in the way.

Then, out of nowhere we kissed.

Now, 2 years later, she's my fiance.

Soooooo.....ummmm..... I'm going to say a MAYBE to your question, but if you guys get along really well and are both attracted to each other, then no.

Rob
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Without sexual thoughts? Probably not. I mean a big cucumber can give me "sexual thoughts".

Without sexual acts? Most definitely.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    There isn't a one size fits all answer to this question. For some yes, others no.

For me a prime example is a guy I have known since I was 15. I met my husband at his wedding. While he and I are great friends our chats via phone became more brief when he met his now wife. She and I are great friends and out of respect for the boundaries of their relationship I stepped back. We would have brief phone calls but after a while they all but stopped. Now when we chat and catch up it's usually when we all get together. It's not that there is anything between us or ever will be; but it just wasn't appropriate to call him all the time when he was in a serious relationship. Again this is just my opinion.

I don't have close emotional friendships with men anymore (aside from my SO). There was a time when I did but it seems that when everyone in my group of friends settled down some we just stopped texting and chatting. Mostly I get the occasional comment on FB but that's the extent of it.
  • farfalla2015
    Options
    I've never really had a good, close friend that was a woman. And in reading a recent post, I was wondering, 'Can a man and a woman be good friends without some sort of sexual thoughts or actions getting in the way?' The answer for me, is probably no. I'm too much of a horn dog. I'm probably missing out on some meaningful relationships, but that's just me. Sometimes II kind of wish I had a close female friend, but such is life. Thoughts.

No.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Certainly. Some of my best friends are women, and I can honestly say I've never had a sexy thought about them.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Absolutely they can be friends. One of my best friends is a guy. We've been friends for almost 20 years now. The awesome part is that we both have the same name (different spellings). It confuses things in a funny way when we're out with our other friends and significant others. It was even funnier when we lived together and someone would phone for one of us.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I have definitely had close male friends who I've genuinely never thought about sexually.