Can a man and woman be good friends without...?

Options

Replies

• aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    I have always preferred male company to female company & most of my close friends are male; to me there is so much less drama with blokes.... Most woman I'm friends with talk about make-up, fashion, hair & soap operas, and think bodily functions are disgusting; whereas when I'm with my male friends we talk about muscles, tattoos & cars and we have belching contests & laugh at one another's farts; on the whole, I have more in common with blokes, despite me being a wife & mother....

So in my opinion, yes male & female can be friends, without sexual feelings; I love my male friends like brothers, but I love my hubby with every inch of my being; I have never & could never think of another man in the intimate way I think about my hubby....

Unless Jessie Pavelka was one of my friends.... Now that would be a whole different ball game....!!
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify a little because there seems to be some misunderstandings here. Of course men and women can be good friends. But just know, at least from a guy perspective, that he has probably at least imagined you naked. My wife always asks me "Do you think this guy or that guy is thinking about me naked?" I always say "Yes." Every time she seems surprised.

I imagine most people naked at least once. And I'm not the only woman that does this.

^^This!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Sure. If the two people are truly committed to their SO's, then I can't see why not. I am great friends with 2 female trainers at work who are both married. We've all shared personal stories with each other.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a man (my husband is also my best friend). We've been friends for almost 22 years. He's like a brother to me. What makes it easy is that he's also best friends with my husband. We call ourselves the 3 Muskateers.

Frankly, I prefer male friends for hanging out. I'm not super girly or a flirt, and I just find it easier to connect more with a man than I do with most women. The very few close female friends I have are like me, with more male friends than female friends.

I think because I don't flirt and am not all that attractive (just being honest, hey), men feel more comfortable around me.
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sure. If the two people are truly committed to their SO's, then I can't see why not. I am great friends with 2 female trainers at work who are both married. We've all shared personal stories with each other.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree with this also...I am pretty close with one of my co-workers and he is married, I am in a relationship and we share stories and talk alot but only while at work. We do not communicate outside of work and I do believe in some way that helps this situation from getting physical. I will admit that personally yes I thought about him naked or sexually but they are just thoughts.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I mean a big cucumber can give me "sexual thoughts".

Well don't try to eat RAW then. You won't make it through a meal without consequences.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I thought you could but I learned better when my now husband and I got serious. All of my straight male friends dropped me. Didnt really understand why at the time since I never flirted with any one them and they all knew abt my husband. Since then a lot of my male friends have ended up being through him and I can honestly say I wont go out of my way to make lunch plans with them.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    No, they really can't.
    You're not a horn dog, you are just normal. And women have just as strong of a drive, they just approach sex differently (and it's often totally missed/misunderstood by men).
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Without actions? Possibly.

Without thoughts? No.
    ^ EXACTLY. I have plenty of close guy friends. It doesnt mean I dont have thoughts.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    My best friend of 16 years is a straight dude. We've never put the P in the V or even kissed.

He's thought about it.

QFT
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Only with set boundaries
  • Molly08
    Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a couple guy friends with zero sexual tension or thoughts but they are also seeing some of my closest friends and I love them like brothers. If you are both single then no dice. One or the other (or both!) is definitely thinking/wanting things to go further. I've learned this the hard way.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yes. But as mentioned before, with set boundaries.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    It depends on the mind set or the friendship I would say.

It's possible yes. I have my male best friends of 5 years and this poor guy would take care of me on our bar nights when I had a few too many. Even put me in the shower one time without a stare of sexualy touch. (Free shots from scretchy guys across the bar) I thank my lucky stars for him. He was even my room mate in a 2 bed room apt. for a year. He would go out with his girl friends and I would go on my dates.

I am married now and he is still my best friend. The three of us even hang out.

It just depends I guess.
  • Sarahsomething14
    Options
    Yes. All I had was guy friends growing up. I had 3 friends that were girls but mostly male. I hangout with my husband's friends because their wives/girlfriends don't want nothing to do with me. I have been invited to places but told not to come by the women themselves. I had that problem ever since I was little. I never had a sexual towards my guy friends and also the other way around I was consider one of the guys for them to.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    There's a very good chance that if you're a guy friend of mine that I want to (at the very least) make-out. But then again, I have very few guy friends because a lot of guys just rub me the wrong way, so if I keep you around, there's something about you that is attractive to me.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    LOLOL. No.
  • IslandLaydi
    IslandLaydi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes anything is possible...but know even if is not on your mind it will cross his...lol
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don’t have any “Good Friends” that are males.

To answer your question based on the males I do know, NOPE!:noway:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    My best friend of 16 years is a straight dude. We've never put the P in the V or even kissed.

He's thought about it.

The same as mine, honestly. He's not on MFP to ask but after this long --- if those feelings were hiding for either of us, we would have said something by now.

ETA: I had lots of dudes I was friends with and the relationship included sex or interest. This is totally different.