Can a man and woman be good friends without...?

Options

Replies

• KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think that this question was already answered for us in "When Harry Met Sally...".
  • TheyCallMeMISTERChace
    Options
    God, I hope not. ;)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

I'm not saying that I don't think or fantasize about 99% of the women I come in contact with; I'm saying that, out of respect for my wife and daughters, I don't act on it.

Been with my wife for 25 years and I have never had physical contact with another woman. On those rare occassions where the thought is overwhelming, I try to picture the look on my daughters' faces if I had to explain to them why I cheated on their mother.

I have never cheated and I never will, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the female form.
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    I think it's totally possible for men and women to have meaningful friendships without sleeping together. I've had better friendships with men than I ever did women.

However, I do think male-female friendships can be a way to test drive a relationship with one another. If things go well it can turn into more.

I was friends with my husband for several years before we started dating and eventually married. 10 years on and we still have a great relationship that continues to bloom.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    some of my closest friends are guys and sex never comes up. One of them has even tried to set me up with another of his friends. So, yes, it can happen.

This. My best friend is a guy and he set me up on a blind date with the man who is now my husband. So yes, it is absolutely possible. I do know that it crossed his mind - but as a previous poster said, thoughts and actions are two different things. And I was never interested in that way so it would never have happened - he is a fabulous friend but I wonder how his wife puts up with him!!
  • WoodChuckNorris
    Options
    some of my closest friends are guys and sex never comes up. One of them has even tried to set me up with another of his friends. So, yes, it can happen.

This. My best friend is a guy and he set me up on a blind date with the man who is now my husband. So yes, it is absolutely possible. I do know that it crossed his mind - but as a previous poster said, thoughts and actions are two different things. And I was never interested in that way so it would never have happened - he is a fabulous friend but I wonder how his wife puts up with him!!

He probably realised it was never going to happen, but maybe had hopes that it would. A friend of mine and I were talking about this yesterday actually. He and his girl recently parted ways and she is shocked that all of her guy "friends" whom she had known for years are suddenly clawing their way out of the friendzone pit.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    'Can a man and a woman be good friends without some sort of sexual thoughts or actions getting in the way?'
    If I'm not the least bit attracted to her physically and she's not the least bit attracted to me physically... then yes.

In any other situation, hang out long enough and sooner or later someone will get feels. Or hit on the other one out of intoxication and desperation. Whichever.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can but there is always a moment that makes you stop and think "what if?". I think its just a natural response to the opposite sex. You don't have to act on that thought bubble but I have to believe every man/woman friendship has that moment, I like friendships with men because they are typically straight shooters and drama free. Its a nice change of pace and perspective.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've had my share of good guy friends. Two I wasn't attracted to at all, one who had a girlfriend. One admitted he wanted to take it farther at some point, then changed his mind (I wasn't feminine enough for him), but we were still friends after that, although never really close friends...Another didn't show up at my wedding, and the third (my best friend) stopped calling me back after he dropped his girlfriend and I started dating my ex. That one was rough on me. Then two other friends I hung out a bit with and there was never any sign of interest on his side (and none on mine). We just stopped seeing each other because I moved pretty much.

So I'd say it's entirely possible... as long as there is no attraction on either side.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, 'Can a man and a woman be good friends without some sort of sexual thoughts or actions getting in the way?'
    Apparently, some people are sexually attracted to every member of the opposite sex and it doesn't work. As for me, I've had a number of very good female friends. Two of these go back to college days (I'm 61). However, in my case either my wife or their husband become so uncomfortable with it that the communication becomes more and more sporadic. Makes me sad but that's the way it is.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, 'Can a man and a woman be good friends without some sort of sexual thoughts or actions getting in the way?'
    Apparently, some people are sexually attracted to every member of the opposite sex and it doesn't work. As for me, I've had a number of very good female friends. Two of these go back to college days (I'm 61). However, in my case either my wife or their husband become so uncomfortable with it that the communication becomes more and more sporadic. Makes me sad but that's the way it is.

That's very sad. And one of the reasons I don't have friends... I get along with men better. Less BS. But it makes people 'uncomfortable'.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Yeah course they can!! I have loads of male friends, and no I don't think about anything sexual with them cos they are my friends!! I have more male friends than female ones :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • yoyofighter
    yoyofighter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes I think it can happen, I have guy friends that are just friends that I have never had the thought of wanting more. I get along with guys better then girls but for the most part I am very out going and social, I just don't like the way some women think and act. Now I can't speak for my guy friends but I can say my 2 closest have never hit on me.
  • BrokenButBeautiful
    Options
    No. Absolutely not.
  • TheyCallMeMISTERChace
    Options
    No. Absolutely not.

Not if they look like you anyway.... :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a guy. We go to dinner, go shoot pistols and talk smack about politics. There's nothing else going on but friendship.
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    I believe that men and women can JUST be friends. I have my share of male buddies, many of which are gym friends. The flirting is bound to happen, but I think how it is recieved early on determines where things end up going. For example, one of my best friends is a personal trainer, he and I worked together for a few months. When we first met, I had told him that I was not looking to date anyone. He kind of blew that off and said that I would have a hard time not falling in love with him. I kept my firm stance on "friends only" and we grew incredibly close without there being any sexual tension. The fact that he stuck around, got to really know me, cares about my personal setbacks and triumphs is proof enough. He has no other motives. In three years there has never once been a moment where he has crossed a line, or I have thought about him in any other light than my best friend.
  • hedwig207
    hedwig207 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me, I "Friend Zone" people pretty fast. So, if I was never attracted to a guy in the first place, then I would completely "friend zone" him and nothing would ever happen. But if I thought a guy was cute, and then became friends with him, there might be still a bit of sexual tension.

But I know guys do this a lot. Especially if they get along well with a girl, they think it's because of some special bond and then they ruin everything by asking her out. (This has happened to me so many times that now all my guy friends have girl friends)
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question is "No".