"Girl" Pushups????

Options

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    More politically correct crap it appears. Who cares that he called them girl push ups? They have been called that for 100 years. Most girls that age aren't strong enough to do regular push ups.

Should we just go back to having slaves and only allowing land owners to vote? I mean, it worked that way for such a long time, it couldn't have been wrong! :huh:

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    More politically correct crap it appears. Who cares that he called them girl push ups? They have been called that for 100 years. Most girls that age aren't strong enough to do regular push ups.

Wrong.

Most elementary age girls are strong enough to do a regular push-up. They're just told they aren't and believe that nonsense and never even try.

Telling a kid he or she isn't strong enough to do something before that kid even tries is crap.

Things must have changed in the last 17 or 18 years since I was in school because a lot of the girls then couldn't do girl push ups.

I had a slumber party for my elementary aged girl not that long ago with several girls from her class.

Number of girls who knew they could do regular push-ups: 1
    Number of girls who LEARNED they could do regular push-ups: 6
    Number of girls who couldn't do at least 2: 0

Maybe you're just weak.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm just lol'ing from this thread. Well done folks.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Wrong.

Most elementary age girls are strong enough to do a regular push-up. They're just told they aren't and believe that nonsense and never even try.

Telling a kid he or she isn't strong enough to do something before that kid even tries is crap.

Things must have changed in the last 17 or 18 years since I was in school because a lot of the girls then couldn't do girl push ups.

My 8 year old daughter knocks real ones out all the time. Then she works the heavy bag with me, and barbell squats with her mom.

Of course, she also goes "oh dad" and punches me when I refer to the modified version as "girl push-ups" . . .

your daughter is obviously the standard in school age children, not the actual figures which are 1/3 fall into the overweight or obese category.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Wrong.

My 8 year old daughter knocks real ones out all the time. Then she works the heavy bag with me, and barbell squats with her mom.

Of course, she also goes "oh dad" and punches me when I refer to the modified version as "girl push-ups" . . .

your daughter is obviously the standard in school age children, not the actual figures which are 1/3 fall into the overweight or obese category.
    Perhaps if they were encouraged to try a regular pushup instead of told they can't do them, they wouldn't be obese.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    We were told the difference I just couldn't do a "boy" push up back then. Hell, if I'm doing a self weighted arm dvd workout (do tons of different style push-ups) I eventually have to go to the "girl" style push up because my arms get like jello!

But glad you told her that it's possible and it's just different styles. Have to admit I still call them "girl" push ups. :-)
  • moosegt35
    Options

Wrong.

I had a slumber party for my elementary aged girl not that long ago with several girls from her class.

Maybe you're just weak.

I am weak because I am a 27 year old man and claim that most school age girls couldn't do a standard push up and even sometimes girl push ups when I was in school? That makes perfect sense.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Wrong.

Perhaps if they were encouraged to try a regular pushup instead of told they can't do them, they wouldn't be obese.

Riiiiiggggghhhtttt, girls doing girl push ups VS standard push ups is what is causing the obesity epidemic in America. I would go to DC with that idea.
  • some_betty
    some_betty Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I long for the day I can do a regular push up, but sadly I can only shoulder press 15 lbs. I am such a wimp. :(
  • Galatea_Stone
    Options

Wrong.

Maybe you're just weak.

I am weak because I am a 27 year old man and claim that most school age girls couldn't do a standard push up and even sometimes girl push ups when I was in school? That makes perfect sense.

Why would you pay so much attention to what the girls could do instead of worrying about what you could do, so much so that 17 or 18 years later, you still remember it so well?

That's a lot of paying attention to how strong little girls are for someone who wasn't a little girl.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Wrong.

Riiiiiggggghhhtttt, girls doing girl push ups VS standard push ups is what is causing the obesity epidemic in America. I would go to DC with that idea.

I'm just curious...what positive contribution do you think you're making to this conversation? If it's so offensive to you that girls should be able to TRY to do the same things as boys...you really should go back to the rock you live under. BUH. BYE.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Wrong.

You're the one that brought up the obesity non sequitur. I'm really not sure what that has to do with girls and push-ups.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

Should we just go back to having slaves and only allowing land owners to vote? I mean, it worked that way for such a long time, it couldn't have been wrong! :huh:

Define "we". I've never owned a slave.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Wrong.

Maybe you're just weak.

Why would you pay so much attention to what the girls could do instead of worrying about what you could do, so much so that 17 or 18 years later, you still remember it so well?

That's a lot of paying attention to how strong little girls are for someone who wasn't a little girl.

Well we all had PE together and back inthose days we tracked how many we could do, how long it took etc and had some competition. Not hard to read that little chart.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Wrong.

I'm just curious...what positive contribution do you think you're making to this conversation? If it's so offensive to you that girls should be able to TRY to do the same things as boys...you really should go back to the rock you live under. BUH. BYE.

Quote me where I said they shouldn't be able to TRY to do regular push ups. I'll wait. Some girls can do standard and if they can then they should instead of doing girl push ups. If they can't then they should do girl push ups, same thing for boys who can't do standard. They are still called girl push ups though.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Wrong.

You're the one that brought up the obesity non sequitur. I'm really not sure what that has to do with girls and push-ups.

Most obese people can't do push ups. 1/3 of school age children are overweight-obese. Obviously your daughter isn't and is athletic/strong, she is not the "standard" for that age but rather an outlier, which is a good thing. Shall I draw a picture?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Options

Wrong.

Maybe you're just weak.

Well we all had PE together and back inthose days we tracked how many we could do, how long it took etc and had some competition. Not hard to read that little chart.

And to remember 17 or 18 years later because you were so concerned with what the little girls could do on that little chart?

No, it's okay. Keep typing. It's precious.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Quote me where I said they shouldn't be able to TRY to do regular push ups. I'll wait. Some girls can do standard and if they can then they should instead of doing girl push ups. If they can't then they should do girl push ups, same thing for boys who can't do standard. They are still called girl push ups though.

By calling them girl pushups there is an implication that a) that is the way girls should do them and b) that any boys who have to do them that way are girlish. This implication leads girls to believe that they cannot/should not perform them in the way that the boys are automatically being taught to do them.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Wrong.

Most obese people can't do push ups. 1/3 of school age children are overweight-obese. Obviously your daughter isn't and is athletic/strong, she is not the "standard" for that age but rather an outlier, which is a good thing. Shall I draw a picture?

^obv still doesn't get it. In for pictures though.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Wrong.

Please do because I'm confused how obesity separates the girls from the boys. Frankly, I remember that the fat boy in my elementary school class (we only had one) couldn't do any push ups and at least a few of the girls could. So, again, non sequitur . . .