"Girl" Pushups????

Options

Replies

• BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    No one has " diminished women and reinforced gender roles by labeling a modified push-up a "girl push-up", they have been called this for 100 years and some way some how girls still manage to do regular ones when they are strong enough. It's crazy.

Wrong. Language has implications. Choice words reinforce messed-up, oppressive social constructs.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You would go talk to the teacher about this, really?
    Its just what they are called, doesn't mean boys can't do girl push ups, or girls can't do real push ups. They were called girl push ups when I was at school to, and it hasn't lead to a life of me or anyone else I know of thinking that's all im allowed to do and i'm physically inferior.

Get your common sense and logic out of here. There is no place on MFP for that nonsense.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    Anyone remember this guy? He was an idiot who liked to draw pictures, too.

large.jpg

Are you looking at my bum you cheeky monkey?
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options
    This thread has very little to do with gender roles. It's really a question of whether girls can, and/or should be encouraged to do regular push ups. Pushing girls to step up when it comes to strength and athletics shouldn't really be a threat to a strong man.

The thread is actually entirely about gender roles. Assigning the role "girl" to a modified push-up first establishes that girls are "lesser" as it is a less physically demanding activity. It implies that girls are weaker and should shoot for the smaller, or lesser, success of performing modified push-ups. It finally implies that boys that can only perform modified push-ups are no longer entitled to their gender identity of "boy".

I really, REALLY appreciate where you went with the second half of your statement, though. The strength that women possess shouldn't be a threat to ANY man. Unfortunately, as we've seen in this thread, it still is.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    This thread has very little to do with gender roles. It's really a question of whether girls can, and/or should be encouraged to do regular push ups. Pushing girls to step up when it comes to strength and athletics shouldn't really be a threat to a strong man.

The thread is actually entirely about gender roles. Assigning the role "girl" to a modified push-up first establishes that girls are "lesser" as it is a less physically demanding activity. It implies that girls are weaker and should shoot for the smaller, or lesser, success of performing modified push-ups. It finally implies that boys that can only perform modified push-ups are no longer entitled to their gender identity of "boy".

I really, REALLY appreciate where you went with the second half of your statement, though. The strength that women possess shouldn't be a threat to ANY man. Unfortunately, as we've seen in this thread, it still is.

It's not necessary that this have anything at all to do with gender roles. All it "implies" is that girls can't do real push ups. And by contrast, arguing that girls can do real push ups (and that perhaps we should just call them wimpy push ups or modified push ups) doesn't necessarily mean that girls aren't on average weaker than boys. Guess what? They are. And that really shouldn't be controversial or a shock to anyone. Again though, pushing girls and women to be stronger shouldn't be a threat to strong men, regardless of one's stance on gender roles.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Its just what they are called, doesn't mean boys can't do girl push ups, or girls can't do real push ups. They were called girl push ups when I was at school to, and it hasn't lead to a life of me or anyone else I know of thinking that's all im allowed to do and i'm physically inferior.

Good heavens! The voice of reason!
    I love you.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I just looked through my original post and my follow up comments...I *don't believe* I ever said I was going to talk to the teacher. I just wasn't happy about it.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options

It's not necessary that this have anything at all to do with gender roles. All it "implies" is that girls can't do real push ups. And by contrast, arguing that girls can do real push ups (and that perhaps we should just call them wimpy push ups or modified push ups) doesn't necessarily mean that girls aren't on average weaker than boys. Guess what? They are. And that really shouldn't be controversial or a shock to anyone. Again though, pushing girls and women to be stronger shouldn't be a threat to strong men, regardless of one's stance on gender roles.

By saying "It's not necessary that this have anything at all to do with gender roles.", you're ignoring the fact that the gender binary is a pre-existing social construct full of sweeping generalizations and one hell of crappy, oppressive regime. I know I'm belabouring the point, but this is my job. I'm an educator in this area. I give talks on the gender binary, gender identity and sexual dimorphism and how they're all very different things. I just hope I can open a few eyes and to those who want to keep their heads in the sand, so be it.

With regards to push-ups, to call modified push-ups "girl" push-ups is just inane. I will concede that men, on average have greater upper body muscular strength than women. We are, however, talking about push-ups and women are just as capable of performing full push-ups as men. Come the eff on.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

By saying "It's not necessary that this have anything at all to do with gender roles.", you're ignoring the fact that the gender binary is a pre-existing social construct full of sweeping generalizations and one hell of crappy, oppressive regime. I know I'm belabouring the point, but this is my job. I'm an educator in this area. I give talks on the gender binary, gender identity and sexual dimorphism and how they're all very different things. I just hope I can open a few eyes and to those who want to keep their heads in the sand, so be it.

With regards to push-ups, to call modified push-ups "girl" push-ups is just inane. I will concede that men, on average have greater upper body muscular strength than women. We are, however, talking about push-ups and women are just as capable of performing full push-ups as men. Come the eff on.

Did you not just make a sweeping generalization about the social construct?

Never mind. I avoid ideologues. I was just talking about push ups. :flowerforyou:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Punky, honestly, I'd be miffed too. Modified push-ups, or push-ups on your knees, are entirely based on a person's current physical condition and ability, not sex.

Or their mood. Sometimes I'm just on the mood to be on my knees. Othertimes, I'm in the mood to put him on his knees.

Tomato, tomahto.

Sometimes those guys need to remember what their knees are for...

(Side note...anyone else think that has to be one of the WORST thought out song lyrics in history of music? :laugh:)

Extra credit for anyone who knows what I'm talking about... lol

I thought that's what a "girl push up " was. I don't recomend doing in the gym. They'll kick you out.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm warmed up...
    Totally agree with the OP and the rational ones in this thread...scary some of the ones I'm referring to as rational :P (kidding before panties, thongs, boxers etc get wadded.)

The discussion has nothing to do with obese children or adults for that matter not being able to do push ups moose. It's the implication and sexism by associating the modified push-up version to the female sex. Obviously it's more of a measurement of fitness capabilities across the board. By referring to modified (and why is this only in push ups? But thankfully so and not ALL modified moves) push-ups as "girl" ones, 2 things are done: encouraging boys/men to feel inadequate if they need to start with the modified version as well as mocking by peers, AND discouraging the realization that a woman can do just about anything a man can do...and sometimes better.

But nothing new being said here.

I actually disagree on the last point above. My view though is that we should be pushing the boys to be stronger rather than expecting the girls to be weak. And yes, obviously some women are stronger than some men, but forgetting the physical differences is a mistake. Just my opinion.

I agree. I think men should be stronger...genetically they are inclined to be. But obtaining enough strength to be able to do a regular push-up does not imply the woman is stronger, rather just as capable.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Now that I'm warmed up...
    Totally agree with the OP and the rational ones in this thread...scary some of the ones I'm referring to as rational :P (kidding before panties, thongs, boxers etc get wadded.)

The discussion has nothing to do with obese children or adults for that matter not being able to do push ups moose. It's the implication and sexism by associating the modified push-up version to the female sex. Obviously it's more of a measurement of fitness capabilities across the board. By referring to modified (and why is this only in push ups? But thankfully so and not ALL modified moves) push-ups as "girl" ones, 2 things are done: encouraging boys/men to feel inadequate if they need to start with the modified version as well as mocking by peers, AND discouraging the realization that a woman can do just about anything a man can do...and sometimes better.

But nothing new being said here.

I actually disagree on the last point above. My view though is that we should be pushing the boys to be stronger rather than expecting the girls to be weak. And yes, obviously some women are stronger than some men, but forgetting the physical differences is a mistake. Just my opinion.

I agree. I think men should be stronger...genetically they are inclined to be. But obtaining enough strength to be able to do a regular push-up does not imply the woman is stronger, rather just as capable.

I think we agree then. It's just a push up! lol
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    WhatJustHappened.gif

I see Mikey & DMZ have a new friend.

And seriously, I'd love to see the evidence that the phrase "girl push-up" has been used for 100 years... since it's been brought up multiple times now. Ya' know... for science.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups. This is only half of the issue though.

Even if the OP's daughter had come home asking "mom, can you show me how to do modified push ups? The teacher said boys and girls do different kinds of pushups and we can get extra credit tomorrow if we show her that we know how to do a modified pushup."

^That's still a problem. Boys and girls DO NOT do different kinds of push ups. People who can and want to do full push ups do full push ups and people who can and want to do modified push ups do those. They should all be shown a full push up and allowed to modify and work up to full push up if needed.

I'm sure there are plenty of boys and girls who would struggle to do a full push up. If you tell the boys that they need to do full push ups and you tell the girls that they need to do modified push ups, guess who will improve and eventually be able to do a full push up and guess who still won't be able to do one? And not because she can't but because she was told that it's not what girls do.
  • moosegt35
    Options

No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups.

Well you see, actually it is what they are called. If not, this thread wouldn't even exist and googling "girl push up" wouldn't populate 168,000,000 results.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Why is there a women's basketball that is smaller and lighter than a "standard" basketball and why is this used all the way through the professional level? Are these professional athletes not able to dribble, pass and shoot the same basketball as a man? I am UP IN ARMS about this nonsense. It's also easier to make shots with dues to it being smaller and having to make it in the same size hoop as a standard basketball. The outrage this must cause some of you!!!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

No, it's not just what they're called. They're called modified push ups or knee push ups; maybe even half push ups.

Well you see, actually it is what they are called. If not, this thread wouldn't even exist and googling "girl push up" wouldn't populate 168,000,000 results.

I could probably find a rather large number of members on this site who agree that you're a tool. That doesn't make it your proper name and it doesn't make it appropriate for me to refer to you that way.:flowerforyou:
  • BraveNewdGirl
    Options

Actually, they're called modified push-ups. Not only did you miss the correct number of results for "girl push-ups" by 167998340 results, but Google simply searches what people put out there on the interwebs. Lots of misinformed individuals and a long-standing STUPID IDEA doesn't mean it's not stupid. Bloodletting was used to cure medical ailments for almost 2000 years (which certainly trumps the "100 years" that you pulled out of your *kitten* with regards to the use of the term "girl push-ups") and it's still freaking quackery.

RANDUMB NUMBERZ!!!!!

Oh, wait, no. Here's some actual information:

1. http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1="girl+push-up"&word2="modified+push-up"
    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

good_day_sir_gif-393.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    heh
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do girl squats. I throw a girl over my shoulder and do what I hear are bodyweight squats.