Why the fitness culture on Social Media needs to die

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You need to learn more about what it means to be fit. We eat cake, ice cream, cookies. We have a life outside the gym and we let loose. We also don't say we are fat.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Why are people so butt hurt about EVERYTHING! This was not an attack on healthy living it was a funny/sarcastic article showing the weird cult things that are coming out of it. The fact you #fitfam people are so upset about this really shows some colors. The whole point was, "be healthy and ****, don't be a *kitten* about it though"
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You read that article and think it's absolutely true. So you agree with #3.

I think that tells us all we need to know about you. Yeah, you jelly.

Damn all I try to do was get a post going and see what people's thoughts were. I do agree with lots of it maybe because I'm not someone who wants to call attention to every thing I do either and look for praise and validation from others constantly. Quietly doing my thing. And no im not "JELLY" because I would NOT want to look like that for anything in the world, I'd rather have a Kardashian sister body.

If you followed the author on Instagram you'd know she was pretty normal and got hateful posts for posting a normal meal. It's kind of in fun but some of it makes sense. Don't ***** about your "fitness lifestyle" when you secretly want people to praise you for it. There are lots of people that post a pic of a fun meal out at a restaurant or something really good they made and you get "OMG don't eat that" "Oh that sugar will kill you" #nosugarnofat #nothealthy. And from what I see on this thread I guess you and most others here would be the ones to do the same to someone on Instagram or FB.

Maybe some people here are "Jelly" because you don't have a life outside of the gym or calorie counting and can't cut back and let loose and eat the damn slice of cake at your own birthday party

0999958bf0d611c0c126c24cb234316d90c3b25fb39e8395e67ecb1ebaead860.jpg
  • meechi53
    Options
    You need to learn more about what it means to be fit. We eat cake, ice cream, cookies. We have a life outside the gym and we let loose. We also don't say we are fat.

I never said people here...this is about the Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter/FB "fitness CULTure" that half of it is a bunch of posers.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Why are people so butt hurt about EVERYTHING! This was not an attack on healthy living it was a funny/sarcastic article showing the weird cult things that are coming out of it. The fact you #fitfam people are so upset about this really shows some colors. The whole point was, "be healthy and ****, don't be a *kitten* about it though"

I was just wondering the same thing about you. Why so serious?

And personally, I didn't find the article funny/insightful at all...

...and I have a pretty keen eye for humor (and humour)...

...but I had never heard of this whole #fitfam movement until this article, and I don't have a bunch of friends like the author described, so perhaps I wasn't her target audience.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I never said people here...this is about the Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter/FB "fitness CULTure" that half of it is a bunch of posers.

You said that everyone is a bunch of a-holes on this site (I think it's against forum rules for me to even say that).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

...but I had never heard of this whole #fitfam movement until this article, and I don't have a bunch of friends like the author described, so perhaps I wasn't her target audience.

:drinker:
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As long as the article is a joke piece, great, otherwise who ever wrote it is an idiot. So average people become popular for trying to be healthy. I would rather a normal person get there 15 minutes of fame than hear another word about a Kardassinnuttt, or Real Housewife. Now those people are the real waste of space.
  • meechi53
    Options

You said that everyone is a bunch of a-holes on this site (I think it's against forum rules for me to even say that).

Well when I came back and read a lot of people were personally attacking ME..and calling ME names for merely posting it and saying I agreed with alot of it..
  • meechi53
    Options

Well quite possibly her and my and many other's instagram feeds have friends on it who do this, I had 2 friends of mine argue in a 50 post thread on my FB page why chicken was or was not going to kill you (Vegetarian vs Personal Trainer) and my Personal Trainer friend almost never posts anything about their food, workouts, shaming others for their food choices, but the ones that do are the ones complaining they can't eat anything, don't have a life because of workouts and are miserable. #ButItWillPayOff #NoFitNoLife
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Also, there are a lot of great people out there that are well trained in fitness with web sites and Fb pages and they are sharing valuable info and body positivity. You should check out Girls Gone Strong! Or Erin Simmons.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    LOL>
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I do not get why someone would follow a hashtag if they had not interest in the subject matter -

I do not care what the body type - muscular, skinny, obese, - calling someone gross is just low and uncalled for

agreed. it was really rude. if the author dont like that that body type they should mind their business. that lady has worked her butt off to look like that. i think the article was silly.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Well quite possibly her and my and many other's instagram feeds have friends on it who do this, I had 2 friends of mine argue in a 50 post thread on my FB page why chicken was or was not going to kill you (Vegetarian vs Personal Trainer) and my Personal Trainer friend almost never posts anything about their food, workouts, shaming others for their food choices, but the ones that do are the ones complaining they can't eat anything, don't have a life because of workouts and are miserable. #ButItWillPayOff #NoFitNoLife

I understand that there are annoying people out there...

...but I do not understand why you call them friends. Are these close friends that only recently started getting annoying? If so, let them know. If they are not close or are not even actually friends...(as I suspect is the case)...that you are still subjecting yourself to their annoying ways is on you.

In the words of the great prophet:

"If there was a problem...

...yo, I'll solve it."
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    So, a woman that's muscular and fit is gross? I find her to be strong and powerful, which equals beautiful.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So, a woman that's muscular and fit is gross? I find her to be strong and powerful, which equals beautiful.

I agree. The woman is healthy, strong, and beautiful. I have little patience for body shaming. The author lost all credibility with me right off the bat with that one.
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    OP:

vqr87gi.gif

Hilarious! Exactly my thoughts!

Thanks for posting the article OP! I liked it but that is only because I can laugh at myself.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Don't know (or care) what #FitFam is, but I suggest the author stop following it if she hates it so much. LOL to the author b!tc#ing about "naturally fit bodies." Sounds jealous. She condemns this fitness "movement" as being a bunch of self-absorbed cult members finding "love in a hopeless place." Very bitter if you ask me. Sounds like she needs a little love, herself. I guess it's supposed to be satire, but it's not very cleverly done. It just sounds like a rant to me. Odd to bring this subject to MyFitnessPal, a social media site related to health and fitness. I mean, really?! :laugh:

:ohwell:
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this article is talking about. Also no clue what #fitfam is. But fitness scrutiny about food and routines has been going on well before the internet. Fitness is almost at the same level as politics and religion in terms of passion.
  • meechi53
    Options
    Another question is why is it that anyone that disagrees with the author insisting they are "Just Jealous" or as others have inferred, I'm "Jealous" of the muscle woman because I don't think it's attractive. I don't go around calling people "Jealous" just because they think my job is boring, I don't call people jealous because they don't like blonde hair, or certain clothing or shoe styles, or because they don't have a certain bra size.