News - woman asked to cover her toned body in the gym?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    "Planet Fitness has a dress code policy that prohibits tank tops, midriff bearing tops or muscle shirts that would otherwise intimidate the other members."

Lol. The new Taliban of fitness.

NO TANK TOPS?

F That noise! Tank tops are my way of life!!! Good thing they don't offer a pool as part of their schtick.

I do not want your bare, sweaty body touching the machines and have to follow you! What if you had eczema?

Excuse me? Do you even know what the hell eczema is? Clearly not, so allow me to enlighten you, it's dry, scaly, unsightly patches that are often so itchy you'll scratch until you bleed, will discolor your skin, and are horrifically embarrassing for the sufferer. However for people such as yourself the only issue you may suffer from is having to look upon someone with eczema and not liking what you see. Presuming they aren't scratching themselves raw on the treadmill I think, somehow, you'll survive using the machine after them.

I suppose this is that nonjudgmental attitude PF is all about?
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you can't wear tank tops than wtf can you wear? What the hell kinda dress code doesn't allow tank tops?

Places like PF that does not want nasty, bare, sweaty skin touching machines that others use! I do not want to touch someone elses funk:huh:
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous.

this was my thought too!
  • Achrya
    Options
    If you can't wear tank tops than wtf can you wear? What the hell kinda dress code doesn't allow tank tops?

Places like PF that does not want nasty, bare, sweaty skin touching machines that others use! I do not want to touch someone elses funk:huh:

Because wearing a short sleeved shirt instead of a tank top keeps..what, the shoulders from touching things? As long as those shoulders are covered you're totally protected from other people's 'funk'.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    i have to be careful about what I say..i got banned the other night so ....the purple gym is a joke...i was a member for about a year and a half and i never have been treated so rude in my life...im 61 years old and have been a member of many gyms...the purple gym...planet fit is a joke...

long story but there were lots of girls mostly who wore close to nothing...if you were a friend of the staff, you were ok....but if they didnt like you...you were treated rude.....

i call it...DIFFERENT RULES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS...

lots of gyms are matching the low monthly fees now so anyone can find a good gym they like...My new gym is WORLD GYM

love it there
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    "Planet Fitness has a dress code policy that prohibits tank tops, midriff bearing tops or muscle shirts that would otherwise intimidate the other members."

NO TANK TOPS?

F That noise! Tank tops are my way of life!!! Good thing they don't offer a pool as part of their schtick.

I do not want your bare, sweaty body touching the machines and have to follow you! What if you had eczema?

Excuse me? Do you even know what the hell eczema is? Clearly not, so allow me to enlighten you, it's dry, scaly, unsightly patches that are often so itchy you'll scratch until you bleed, will discolor your skin, and are horrifically embarrassing for the sufferer. However for people such as yourself the only issue you may suffer from is having to look upon someone with eczema and not liking what you see. Presuming they aren't scratching themselves raw on the treadmill I think, somehow, you'll survive using the machine after them.

You have totally missed the point, it is a hygiene issue, any dermis problem can be spread, and yes I do know what eczema is, I help treat my Dad for it....daily.................My other point is that I don't want all that sweaty, bare skin on the equipment that I use. PF has rules, she knew the rules, they handeled it very diplomatically and you can just get off your high horse and read what people post first.
  • Achrya
    Options

NO TANK TOPS?

You have totally missed the point, it is a hygiene issue, any dermis problem can be spread, and yes I do know what eczema is, I help treat my Dad for it....daily.................My other point is that I don't want all that sweaty, bare skin on the equipment that I use. PF has rules, she knew the rules, they handeled it very diplomatically and you can just get off your high horse and read what people post first.

They handled it very poorly and totally disrespected the woman on question. It wasn't a hygine issue (since the rule is no strappy tank tops and actually allows the ones with thicker bands, so bye to that line of reasoning.) They didn't say "your attire doesn't match the dress code." Which would have been fine.

They said "You're intimidating the other people." On what crazy *kitten* planet is that diplomatic? If you want to be an apologist for that crap gym then do you, but please don't spout off things that don't make sense, such as acting as if using a machine after someone is any more of a hygiene issue than using one after someone without eczema.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

what if someone just took a dump in the locker room, wiped their *kitten*, did not wash their hands, and then used a machine and they were in sweat pants and long sleeves…I guess you would be OK with that and "feel" safe….

lol
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    How many of you were there when this woman was told that she was in violation of the dress code. None. That's what I thought. Yet, we are all taking this woman's word as gospel. Of course, she is telling the truth. Of course, it couldn't be that simple that she violated the code and was asked to cover up or she would have to leave. Of course, that ogre of a worker was wrong. No one who works for a corporation could ever be in the right.

You know, no one wants to admit they are wrong so when they retell the story, they add to it to make sure that people side with them. Think about the last time something along those lines happened to you. What sort of story did you spin?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    the arguments defended PF in this thread border on insanity…(I thought of another word, but do not feel like getting a strike)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How many of you were there when this woman was told that she was in violation of the dress code. None. That's what I thought. Yet, we are all taking this woman's word as gospel. Of course, she is telling the truth. Of course, it couldn't be that simple that she violated the code and was asked to cover up or she would have to leave. Of course, that ogre of a worker was wrong. No one who works for a corporation could ever be in the right.

You know, no one wants to admit they are wrong so when they retell the story, they add to it to make sure that people side with them. Think about the last time something along those lines happened to you. What sort of story did you spin?

It could be made up. However, Planet Fitness has based their entire business model on this type of behavior so I'm inclined to believe it.
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options

NO TANK TOPS?

i pay my membership fees too, so I'll put my man sweat anywhere I please. Deal with it.
    Your gym needs to deal with it not me!
  • james123567
    james123567 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    People who don't work out and don't grasp the benefits or how good the endorphin release feels after a good hard workout invented the word gymtimidation because of whatever insecurity they feel, because they are ignorant/envious of people who grasp and employ the concept. Good for you covered lady, this is ridiculous!
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    LOL... :laugh: I SAW THAT MESS! :grumble: :noway: I read it in disbelief!!!!! I LOVE TO SEE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TONED B/C IT LETS ME KNOW ITS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO RISE FROM THE ASHES OF MY LIFE - AS WELL. I WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN THAT PLACE!!!!! NOT EVEN IF THEY PAID ME TO COME!!!! ALL THEIR TONED PEOPLE SHOULD REBEL..... AND LET THEIR DOLLARS PROTEST FOR THEM!!! :flowerforyou:

ITS A STUPID POLICY!!!!!! WHO EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING!? I GUESS THEY DON'T HAVE TRAINERS THERE.... AND IF THEY DO - THEY ARE MORBIDLY OBESE.

SOUNDS LIKE REVERSE INTIMIDATION TO ME..... IF THE TONED PEOPLE CAN'T COME AND SIMPLY DO THEIR WORKOUT WITHOUT OTHERS COMPLAINING. ITS A FREE COUNTRY - ISN'T IT?

GUESS NOT AT THAT SILLY GYM!

YOU KNOW WHAT *ISN'T*...

*ahem* ...sorry...

You know what *isn't* a stupid policy? Prohibiting excessive caps lock usage in the forums.

I could totally get behind that policy.

ETA: And that "it's a free country" thing? That's applicable to government intervention, not for private businesses making policies (that don't otherwise violate some aspects where the government has already intervened for the greater good and all that).

:drinker: Good point made to the poster being so hysterical
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    Join a gym without a dress code if you want to show your stomach.

When I worked out at the YMCA, a woman was asked to leave because she was in a glorified pair of underwear and bra with a Nike logo on it. You can work out just as well in a tshirt and an actual pair of shorts.

They only dress like that because they want attention. If you want to walk around in a sports bra, go to Walmart. They don't seem to have a dress code.

Bump:wink:
  • bettyjoburdett
    Options
    Join a gym without a dress code if you want to show your stomach.

When I worked out at the YMCA, a woman was asked to leave because she was in a glorified pair of underwear and bra with a Nike logo on it. You can work out just as well in a tshirt and an actual pair of shorts.

They only dress like that because they want attention. If you want to walk around in a sports bra, go to Walmart. They don't seem to have a dress code.

That is just simply not true. It is best to wear as little, tight fitting clothing as possible so that you can see exactly whats going on in the mirror. You don't think they put those mirrors all over the gym so people can gawk at themselves do you? They are for watching your form and bettering your technique, something you can't see in sweats or baggy clothing. Educate yourself before you make that kind of statement.

This and I also hate my clothes bunching up on me. A tight pair of athletic pants is WAY more comfy than a pair of shorts that crawl and bunch when you're running.I hate t-shirts when I'm running or boxing. Can't stand worrying about tucking it in when I'm planking so that someone cant see up my shirt. I can't imagine doing box jumps with a t-shirt flopping around.

I also like seeing my strength gains. When I am boxing, I like seeing the muscles pop in my shoulders and biceps. When I am lifting, I like being able to see which muscle groupings are being activated. I like feeling proud of my accomplishment.

So for me it's clear that I'd never want to go there. I go where I am comfortable.

Which right now, apart from my boxing club. Is at home in my basement.

My cat doesn't complain about my short shorts, knee highs and sport bra.

OMG.............do you also kiss the mirror while you 'pop' here there and everywhere:ohwell:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    methinks someone feels strongly about this topic.
  • ndj1979
    Options

yet, you were there and somehow know it did not happen?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    They advertise that they are a gym without "stereotypes" and they have a fan base because of that reason.

A gym without stereotypes?!?

My head just exploded trying to respond to this, and that never happens. My head never explodes. And it just did. Figuratively!!! My head just figuratively exploded.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    Just curious - does the contract you sign when you join PF clearly articulate the dress code? Second, based on comments, PF dress code prohibits tank tops. Does anyone else find it funny that they sell on their website PF tank tops, sports bras and short running shorts? Maybe if her top had the PF logo the staff wouldn't have said anything.