Paleo?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I have been mainly paleo for a few years, but I have always had an aversion to many grains anyway. I knew I had difficulty digesting them but I ate them because I thought they were ever so good for me, but when I found out that they actually offer very little in the way of nutrients compared with other foods and contain substances that block the absorption of certain minerals and contain things that irritate the gut I didn't hesitate to cut them out completely. I am also quite carb sensitive and I stopped believing that I somehow needed refined carbohydrates and realised they are not very good for you. I also had major issues with sugar and cutting it out has helped me lose weight and feel better.

There is absolutely nothing bad about paleo. It's simply about eating whole nutrient dense real foods and minimising stressing out the digestive system with hard to digest foods and toxins. Some people might find it difficult or restrictive, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with having some flexibility and having not so good for you foods on occasion. It's great for people who are suffering with their health and have sensitive stomachs or digestive problems. It's also very freeing to accept that saturated fat is not bad for you and low fat foods are not the amazingly wonderful healthy foods many people think they are. I feel very satisfied with my meals and they keep me going for long periods. When you don't have to make space in your diet for refined grains you have more space for healthy proteins and fats.

I would add though that I don't claim to follow a strict paleo diet because I don't like to follow labels. I have naturally gravitated towards a paleo style diet because I find it the best for my body and I allow myself to go off track occasionally if I really just want something "bad".

Ah, so everything you said yesterday makes perfect sense now.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP - ini the end it is up to you to do what you want…

here is what I will say

1. paleo has nothing to do with what our paleolithic brethren ate…
    2. paleo is not some magical fat burning process that is superior to others…
    3. you can eat in a 500 calorie per day deficit, work out/move more, eat the foods that YOU like, and you will lose just as much weight/fat as you would on paleo…

if you want to do it because you think you might like it, then by all means do it ….but don't go into thinking that after two months of paleo you are going to lose more fat then you would on a calorie deficit …..
    This, there's nothing wrong with incorporating some paleo foods into your eating or going full paleo if it is how you want to eat. But it's not a magical cure for being fat.

I add "paleo" foods to my diet every day. I call it meat!
  • djvas03
    djvas03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it will be up to you as other athletes have mentioned. From personal experience, Paleo was a success for me in that I lost weight. Ultimately, it wasn't worth it though, because
    1) the foods that I chose to eat didn't fill me up so I was CONSTANTLY eating and CONSTANTLY hungry.
    2) I lost WEIGHT vs. losing BODY FAT. So my muscle went down by 12%, which affected my workouts in a huge way.

Paleo is great if you have a good amount of weight to lose. When you're slowing down the weight loss, and you're moving into maintenance, it's better to do Paleo-ISH in my opinion. By that I mean, eat paleo meals 2 out of the 3 a day. After a workout though, you're better off doing a meal that is 50%protein and 50% carb for recovery.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I would add though that I don't claim to follow a strict paleo diet because I don't like to follow labels. I have naturally gravitated towards a paleo style diet because I find it the best for my body and I allow myself to go off track occasionally if I really just want something "bad".

Define "bad."

I would define "bad" as foods that have low nutrient value and high in calories and anti nutrients and that cause stress to the body. E.g. refined and processed foods.

Coconut oil is refined and processed. So is butter. And Bacon.

Anyhow, I'm in...to catch up.

Disclaimer:
    I ate SAD in 2011. Felt Great. Made excellent progress towards my goals.
    I ate strict paleo in 2012. Felt great. Made excellent progress towards my goals.
    I ate IIFYM for 2013 to current. Felt great. Made excellent progress towards my goals.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My husband does Paleo....I myself, while able to give a lot of the wheat, still eat "non paleo" foods and dairy :) It works for him and he likes it a lot..I just can't do the no wheat thing :( The biggest con in my opinion (of you don't mind giving up those foods) is that it does get boring if you don't take the time to find cool recipes and spend the time doing food prep. I think people just need to do what works for them.....no one way is the "right" way....for some, they feel better not eating grains.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    OP - ini the end it is up to you to do what you want…

here is what I will say

1. paleo has nothing to do with what our paleolithic brethren ate…
    2. paleo is not some magical fat burning process that is superior to others…
    3. you can eat in a 500 calorie per day deficit, work out/move more, eat the foods that YOU like, and you will lose just as much weight/fat as you would on paleo…

if you want to do it because you think you might like it, then by all means do it ….but don't go into thinking that after two months of paleo you are going to lose more fat then you would on a calorie deficit …..
    This, there's nothing wrong with incorporating some paleo foods into your eating or going full paleo if it is how you want to eat. But it's not a magical cure for being fat.

I add "paleo" foods to my diet every day. I call it meat!
    Sorry, I guess I meant recipes since it seemed the main motivation is that some of the recipes look really good.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    We don't have the knowledge to control differential gene expression (turning genes on and off) for desired physical results. It's an extremely complex process and our knowledge is in its infancy.

In for sci fi!

That would be so cool if we could just eat (or not eat) certain foods to turn gene expression on and off like a light switch.

cool.gif

And then, because genes code for proteins and proteins have multiple functions, we'd end up with a thigh gap AND a palsy.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    The Mac Daddy Sisson also explains that when you have a high carb "cheat" day every so often it resets certain hormone levels and is actually good for you, resets hormone levels that burn fat so you get leaner.

ETA: The hormone reset research appears extensively in this book: The Man 2.0: Engineering the Alpha.

The Mac Daddy Sisson... I like that... I'm going to roll with it...

Doesn't "Mac Daddy Sisson" also sell a processed protein supplement... to go along with his anti-processed food campaign?

Seems like he's mostly just looking to make money off of a fad.

The Mac Daddy sure does sell protein and a few supplements. I've never used it, but for all the free help along the way I've gleamed from his articles, website, blog and books I borrowed from the library, I sure do hope someone buys the supplements and that he earns a buck for his efforts.

Unlike a lot of programs, there is no monthly fee or anything like that related to using the site, forums, recipes, or books (some books are on the website free as a PDF).

Because I'd been using the program for years with no monetary compensation, I didn't mind at all making my only purchase from the site, a T-shirt for my boyfriend on Valentines day that says "Get Primal".

ETA: I get my protein from a shopper's club Sam's in bulk because it's cheap, but if I could afford it, I would certainly love to try his Primal stuff.

You have a very bastardized definition of paleo and primal. Why are you supplementing at all? Shouldn't the well-defined list of foods provide everything you need without resorting to highly processed products like a protein powder? Kind of seems to completely go against the underlying principles of the diet.

This has been discussed and beaten like a dead horse, but I'm sure it's tl, dr.

Primal/Paleo is not at all an anthropological recreation of ancestral diet. Those words are marketing.

I've never heard of anyone Paleo, Mac Daddy Sisson, the Man Robb Wolf, anyone at all saying that protein shakes are "not-Paleo" or "not-Primal."
  • applejuice3977
    Options
    Alright, I've been a little afraid to post this because I heard it will start "forum flame wars," but I've just heard different things about it and I was wondering exactly what it is and why it may be good/bad for you. What are the pros/cons? Have any of you tried it?

Sorry in advance for any arguments this thread may cause....

i dont understand why it should start any wars anyway. we are all here for a common goal of weight loss and/or getting healthy. there are 1,001 meal plans out there. The main focus, just in my opion, is that we should eat REAL/UNPROCESSED foods and that is the focus of Paleo mostly. I have only read up on it a little, so I'm no expert, but I know people that do it and love it. I have tried a few plans that are VERY similar such as the Virgin Diet and 21 Day Tummy. Both focus on REAL foods and help identify some foods that 1. Our bodies are not intended to digest or 2. Food is NOT made like it used to be by REAL farmers and there is SO SO SO much junk in it. Period.

CLEAN EATING - FOCUS ON THAT IF YOU CAN.

DISCLAIMER - i am not a doctor. just another lady that has tried several things and so far the best is.... CLEAN 'REAL FOOD' EATING! :-)

wars - why do we get into wars when we all the the same goal? HA.
  • applejuice3977
    Options
    Wow, it's getting heated in here. Let's just remember, it's just food...

EXACTLY!!!!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Alright, I've been a little afraid to post this because I heard it will start "forum flame wars," but I've just heard different things about it and I was wondering exactly what it is and why it may be good/bad for you. What are the pros/cons? Have any of you tried it?

Sorry in advance for any arguments this thread may cause....

i dont understand why it should start any wars anyway. we are all here for a common goal of weight loss and/or getting healthy. there are 1,001 meal plans out there. The main focus, just in my opion, is that we should eat REAL/UNPROCESSED foods and that is the focus of Paleo mostly. I have only read up on it a little, so I'm no expert, but I know people that do it and love it. I have tried a few plans that are VERY similar such as the Virgin Diet and 21 Day Tummy. Both focus on REAL foods and help identify some foods that 1. Our bodies are not intended to digest or 2. Food is NOT made like it used to be by REAL farmers and there is SO SO SO much junk in it. Period.

CLEAN EATING - FOCUS ON THAT IF YOU CAN.

DISCLAIMER - i am not a doctor. just another lady that has tried several things and so far the best is.... CLEAN 'REAL FOOD' EATING! :-)

wars - why do we get into wars when we all the the same goal? HA.

Because, unfortunately, some have a very hard time with others thinking differently. From what I've seen, it appears to be people attacking others' choices in order to feel greater comfort about their own -- sort of like religious zealots who tell everyone else that they're going to hell. So sad, and so unnecessary. But, so is life...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So as a metter of interest, if it's all about real food, why is it that imaginary food is so bad?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The Mac Daddy Sisson also explains that when you have a high carb "cheat" day every so often it resets certain hormone levels and is actually good for you, resets hormone levels that burn fat so you get leaner.

ETA: The hormone reset research appears extensively in this book: The Man 2.0: Engineering the Alpha.

Doesn't "Mac Daddy Sisson" also sell a processed protein supplement... to go along with his anti-processed food campaign?

The Mac Daddy sure does sell protein and a few supplements. I've never used it, but for all the free help along the way I've gleamed from his articles, website, blog and books I borrowed from the library, I sure do hope someone buys the supplements and that he earns a buck for his efforts.

Unlike a lot of programs, there is no monthly fee or anything like that related to using the site, forums, recipes, or books (some books are on the website free as a PDF).

Because I'd been using the program for years with no monetary compensation, I didn't mind at all making my only purchase from the site, a T-shirt for my boyfriend on Valentines day that says "Get Primal".

ETA: I get my protein from a shopper's club Sam's in bulk because it's cheap, but if I could afford it, I would certainly love to try his Primal stuff.

You have a very bastardized definition of paleo and primal. Why are you supplementing at all? Shouldn't the well-defined list of foods provide everything you need without resorting to highly processed products like a protein powder? Kind of seems to completely go against the underlying principles of the diet.

Primal/Paleo is not at all an anthropological recreation of ancestral diet. Those words are marketing.

I've never heard of anyone Paleo, Mac Daddy Sisson, the Man Robb Wolf, anyone at all saying that protein shakes are "not-Paleo" or "not-Primal."

From The Primal Blueprint

“Eat reasonably generous amounts of eggs, meat, chicken, fish, nuts, and seeds, plus all the vegetables you want and fruits (with a little bit of restraint and selectivity), and stay away from all grains and processed foods.”

Protein shakes are certainly highly processed
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

From The Primal Blueprint

“Eat reasonably generous amounts of eggs, meat, chicken, fish, nuts, and seeds, plus all the vegetables you want and fruits (with a little bit of restraint and selectivity), and stay away from all grains and processed foods.”

Protein shakes are certainly highly processed

request-five.gif

This is why I highly doubt your claims to be so well read and educated on the principles of paleo and primal eating. You missed this and I'm pretty sure it's Paleo/Primal 101.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

That could be because at least a couple of those referenced just happen to sell protein powder. Could be.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Well if I'm missing the point, so the Mac Daddy Sisson and the Man Robb Wolf, all of whom I share good company with in our way of eating where we avoid processed foods but totally get down on a protein shake.

But I actually understand that a lot of what they say is or isn't primal is based on whether the health benefits of the food outweighs the detriment of the food.

A theory and application of the theory in modern America are two different things. Mac Daddy Sisson and the Man Rob Wolf understand that we live in 2014, and that it'd be a full time job or more to avoid anything that has any process. I was so psyched when I got a food processor for Christmas, my best friend was making fun of me saying "thought you didn't eat processed foods?" haha very funny. My personal rule of thumb is that if I can recreate what is in a package, all ingredients accounted for, I'll consider it Paleo and eat it. A simple bottled salad dressing? Sure. Mustard with herbs? Sure. Canned/Jarred goods containing only the food item and salt, absolutely. Frozen veggies? Freezer full.

If it makes you feel good to find a philosophical loophole in a reading, then dissuade people from following the Primal Blueprint online, than do it.

I'll be right here behind you explaining how that doesn't negate anything. Your loophole doesn't negate any of my profound success using the Primal Blueprint, or anyone else's.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I don't think Sisson is against protein powder. Like many of the traditional non-paleo things he discusses, he evaluates the nutritional value and then renders a decision based on that. From what I've seen, he doesn't get very ideological, but sticks to the nutritional make-up as guiding his decision. He certainly says you don't need protein powder, but he acknowledges that protein powder can have legitimate value in your regimen.

"Whey protein powder is proven to be effective, and it’s ubiquitous and inexpensive. Protein powder in general can help athletes recover from training, and it doesn’t have to be dairy-based, if you’re sensitive. There’s nothing wrong with dabbling (or even throwing yourself into) in alternative protein powders, and in the case of casein and egg whites, you might even see added benefits by incorporating them into your whey regimen.

But that doesn’t mean you need protein powder.

Take your time and evaluate your diet. You may find that you don’t need powder supplements. I certainly don’t need any myself, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a big whey shake after an intense workout session from time to time, just for the anabolic effects if not for the convenience and taste. If you’re not getting enough protein, or you can’t find the time to cook every single meal, try some protein powder. Otherwise, eat a steak."

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whey-egg-white-casein-pea-hemp-rice-protein-powder-supplement/#axzz2GmXjl246
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think Sisson is against protein powder. Like many of the traditional non-paleo things he discusses, he evaluates the nutritional value and then renders a decision based on that. From what I've seen, he doesn't get very ideological, but sticks to the nutritional make-up as guiding his decision. He certainly says you don't need protein powder, but he acknowledges that protein powder can have legitimate value in your regimen.

"Whey protein powder is proven to be effective, and it’s ubiquitous and inexpensive. Protein powder in general can help athletes recover from training, and it doesn’t have to be dairy-based, if you’re sensitive. There’s nothing wrong with dabbling (or even throwing yourself into) in alternative protein powders, and in the case of casein and egg whites, you might even see added benefits by incorporating them into your whey regimen.

Take your time and evaluate your diet. You may find that you don’t need powder supplements. I certainly don’t need any myself, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a big whey shake after an intense workout session from time to time, just for the anabolic effects if not for the convenience and taste. If you’re not getting enough protein, or you can’t find the time to cook every single meal, try some protein powder. Otherwise, eat a steak."

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whey-egg-white-casein-pea-hemp-rice-protein-powder-supplement/#axzz2GmXjl246

Sisson states here, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-primal-blueprint/#axzz1paFnnSML
    "Avoid exposure to chemical toxins in your food (pesticides, herbicides, chemicals, etc) and on your skin. But also try to avoid the hidden poisons in foods like sugars, grains, processed foods, trans and hydrogenated fats, and mercury in certain fish."

Got that? sugars and processed foods are hidden poisons in foods

But then we look at his Primal Fuel

pfuel_nutrition_facts.gif

And look at that it's processed and contains sugars, including man made sugar, ewwwww
  • wshep5267
    Options
    Warning, Long Post!

I've been eating a paleo/primal diet for the last 2 years and I have had terrific results both in weight loss and weight control but the real differnce for me was in how eating natrual, nutrition dense, whole foods and cutting out processed, refined, starchy foods altered how much and how often I need to eat.

I have never had problems loosing weight when I decide I want to do it. The problem is that I would gain weight till I got fed up with it and then loose it then gain it then loose it. The proverbial dieting roller coaster. I was looking for a way that I could eat and enjoy so that I didn't gain the weight in the first place hoever, I had given up hope because once I turned 13 I turned into a human garbage disposal. I consumed amazingly large quantities of food all the time because I was always hungry! I was sick and tired of being hungry all the time and I was looking for something new.

I read a book by Gary Taubs called Good Calories, Bad Calories that changed my view of nutrition. In the book he makes the argument that it is resitance to insilin that is the cuase of weight gain and the source of the obesity epidemic in America. I won't go into it too much, you can read the book or get the smaller version called Why Do We Get Fat which is a summary of his previous work. Control Insilin and you control your weight is the bottom line.

I gave it a shot and began eliminating surgar in all its forms from my diet. I didn't do it all at once. I started with the obious Sugar, then moved to starchy foods like pasta, then to bread, so on and so forth until the only carbohydrates that I was consuming came from fruit and vegetables. I added alot more fat making up 70% of my daily calories and moderated my protein intake to 1gram per 1lb of lean body weight wich for me is 80 grams of protein a day or about 30% of my daily calories. You can set these in myfitnesspal to the levels that you want.

I began to loose weight emediately which was fine, I'd lost weight in the past by not eating sugar for a while, no big deal. What surprised me though was when I had eliminated most of the carbohydrates from my diet I noticed that I was not as hungry all the time. The longer I went with the reduced carbohydrate diet the less violent my hunger became. I also noticed that I didn't have to eat as much at my meals to feel full and satisfied.

After I had done all of this I was introduced to the Paleo/Primal diet and thought it was interesting that it so closely resembled what I had done already. High fat, moderate protein, and low carbohydrate just like what I had discoved for myself.

A year later I am able to easily keep my weight regulated. As of this writing I hadn't gotten on a scale in a month or two so I just checked and I'm holding steady at my ideal body weight.

What I would recomend is doing some homework outside of the message boards and find out what is going to work for you. Start with small changes, they add up over time and are way easier to maintain than big sweeping changes that have you feeling like you have deprived yourself of something.

Some places I would recomend to start your study on Primal/ Paleo are:
    www.marksdailyapple.com
    www.eatingacademy.com
    www.garytaubes.com

Lost of information on those pages to help you understand the Paleo/ Primal diet and how it works and why it works and what it may or may not do for you. Then go out and experiment. You know your body best.

Good Luck
    Wade
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Sisson states here, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-primal-blueprint/#axzz1paFnnSML
    "Avoid exposure to chemical toxins in your food (pesticides, herbicides, chemicals, etc) and on your skin. But also try to avoid the hidden poisons in foods like sugars, grains, processed foods, trans and hydrogenated fats, and mercury in certain fish."

Got that? sugars and processed foods are hidden poisons in foods

But then we look at his Primal Fuel

pfuel_nutrition_facts.gif

And look at that it's processed and contains sugars, including man made sugar, ewwwww

What's your point? He specifically addressed protein powders and you're trying to counter that specific point with his general guidelines? That's asinine.