Paleo?

Options

Replies

• lablamires
    lablamires Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well paleo does have its own Paleo cake, muffin and alternative recipes but it's find to hard a paleo substitute that's as good as real pizza lol
    Meatza?

16ad32a0-ad9c-49a4-a071-d03c88dd8ed7_zps0a506a18.jpg

This made me laugh :laugh:
    it also looks delicious.

That does look delicious! Mmmm I'm gong to Google a recipe!

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/09/22/paleo-mediterranean-meatza-pies/
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for 'everything in moderation'. Some parts of the Paleo diet make sense and I can see how paying attention to what you eat and avoiding processed foods is good for you. Cutting down on refined sugars and avoiding too much high GI food and its resultant insulin swings is a good idea. However, to cut out such a valuable food source as legumes, grains, dairy and many fruits is counter-intuitive. All of the above have nutritional benefits - just don't stuff your face with them ;-)

What was so great about being a caveman anyway? Sure they did not suffer from heart disease, but that was because the average life expectancy was less than 30 years of age! The diet may be 'natural', but so is TB - and you don't see tuberculosis promoted as a healthy option...
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think you could get more or less the same results eating as clean as possible, without the same restrictions that may or may not suit you. I tried it and decided to take some aspects of it and build my own diet to suit myself. I don't call it Paleo, but I have been eating pretty cleanly and 'primal' for about 4 months anyway.

Just try it for yourself if you want to see how you go/how it fits into your life. Paleo is a current trend, but it's not something that will be harmful like most fad diets and popular trends. I think it just will or will not be something you can maintain for a long time. I think it's more important to try find a healthy, sustainable way to eat how you would want to eat all of the time.

I think, like any diet, it will mean forward thinking, planning meals, preparation, and widening your range of recipes. It can be a bit inconvenient if you're very busy.
    I try to pack lunches and carry fruit and veg and nuts with me in my bag and think outside the box with home prepared snacks, instead of reaching for processed muesli bars and things I used to just grab and go.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for 'everything in moderation'. Some parts of the Paleo diet make sense and I can see how paying attention to what you eat and avoiding processed foods is good for you. Cutting down on refined sugars and avoiding too much high GI food and its resultant insulin swings is a good idea. However, to cut out such a valuable food source as legumes, grains, dairy and many fruits is counter-intuitive. All of the above have nutritional benefits - just don't stuff your face with them ;-)

What was so great about being a caveman anyway? Sure they did not suffer from heart disease, but that was because the average life expectancy was less than 30 years of age! The diet may be 'natural', but so is TB - and you don't see tuberculosis promoted as a healthy option...

I think you'll find back then, it was all the rage!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Paleo is the only way I can lose weight. I was dealing with a stubborn weight problem and went to the doctor who suggested Paleo. I tried it and lost weight right away. Every time I eat something that isn't paleo, I gain weight and have trouble getting rid of it. I really suggest it. It's like I'm giving my body food that it knows how to deal with. Even my skin clears up and my nails grow strong and fast (they used to peel). Paleo is not for the faint of heart or for those who can't put some effort in to making a paleo version of a craving, but it does work, it does help with weight loss for me, and I feel so much better when I'm on it. It is very hard to keep up though, because it is so much easier to buy prepared/processed foods. Just my two cents.

paleo = magic?

so your saying you can eat in a deficit, not do paleo, and gain?

neat trick…kind of reminds me of this...
    88418-Ice-T-magic-gif-Jimmy-Fallon-t-zpYx_zpse5423be8.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Deja vu.

Well at least you recycle.

Didn't you post this same thing on a sugar thread.

Wasn't funny then isn't funny now! (well a little bit funny)
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    gif-card-magic-592316.jpeg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Again, I sound like I am defending paleo - I am not. I am aware that the food we eat today is nothing like their actual diet. But the average life expectancy is a little misleading. There was a high mortality rate for children and infants which would bring the average age down. Plus, they had to worry about predators, injuries and other things that are not fatal to us now because of modern medicine.
    Not to mention the whole TB is natural argument doesn't even make sense. Their diet wasn't necessarily what lowered their mortality, disease does.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not all brain function requires glucose. Some brain function absolutely requires glucose, but it's only something like 25%. The rest is more than happy to use ketones as its fuel source.

But why bother?

Some people have a harder time with carbs, so for them, it's easier to eat a high fat low carb diet. That's especially true for people with issues like insulin resistance.

It is not true for most people, and it silly to suggest to someone who has no health issues.

Well, some groups estimate that 25% of the US population -- or 80 million people -- have insulin resistance. And that takes quite a threshold to become insulin resistance. So, it's not absurd to think that there are quite a few people with carb sensitivity issues, even if they don't rise to the level of Celiacs, Type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance.

And, there are many that didn't think they had any issues (myself included) and were shocked at how much better they felt after eliminating grains from their diet. As I said, I've known quite a few people who had this experience and it's not an uncommon experience among those that have tried Paleo/Primal -- you see other MFPers having said the same thing. So, it doesn't seem all that silly to me.

Insulin resistance is no reason to eliminate grains entirely.
    A good reason to exercise and lose weight though.

Yep! Exercise is the best thing a person can do to combat insulin resistance.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Not all brain function requires glucose. Some brain function absolutely requires glucose, but it's only something like 25%. The rest is more than happy to use ketones as its fuel source.

But why bother?

Some people have a harder time with carbs, so for them, it's easier to eat a high fat low carb diet. That's especially true for people with issues like insulin resistance.

It is not true for most people, and it silly to suggest to someone who has no health issues.

Well, some groups estimate that 25% of the US population -- or 80 million people -- have insulin resistance. And that takes quite a threshold to become insulin resistance. So, it's not absurd to think that there are quite a few people with carb sensitivity issues, even if they don't rise to the level of Celiacs, Type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance.

And, there are many that didn't think they had any issues (myself included) and were shocked at how much better they felt after eliminating grains from their diet. As I said, I've known quite a few people who had this experience and it's not an uncommon experience among those that have tried Paleo/Primal -- you see other MFPers having said the same thing. So, it doesn't seem all that silly to me.

Exercise isn't. It didn't stop me from becoming insulin resistant nor did it stop me from becoming a full blown Diabetic.

I never stopped exercising and continued gaining weight despite eating less and less and less.

Hormone imbalances are horrible to deal with and I don't wish them on anyone.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

But why bother?

This is what my endocrinologist tells me.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

But why bother?

Really? That surprises me. Mine all said low carb diet first, then exercise and if that wasn't enough, medication like metformin.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

But why bother?

Really? That surprises me. Mine all said low carb diet first, then exercise and if that wasn't enough, medication like metformin.

Time for a new doctor maybe? That advice is pretty ancient.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

But why bother?

Your doctors said "don't exercise"? Seriously?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

But why bother?

I don't think that's what is meant! I think she was referring to priority action!
  • lindsey1979
    Options

But why bother?

No. Is that how you read that, really? Wow.

He just said that low carb diet was the biggest thing to focus on. Sort of how like abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym -- 80% is diet, 20% is exercise, etc. That diet was the biggest thing to control insulin spikes, then exercise, and then if those two weren't enough -- and they often aren't -- to opt for some medication like metformin.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

But why bother?

Well, I trained and ran a half marathon and that didn't improve my insulin resistance. Along with 3x5 workout three times a week. So, at least for me, the exercise is the best thing certainly wasn't true. Whereas, implementing the low carb diet has been the thing that has helped me the most. I feel the best on it and my A1c levels have come down.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

But why bother?

No. Is that how you read that, really? Wow.

He just said that low carb diet was the biggest thing to focus on. Sort of how like abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym -- 80% is diet, 20% is exercise, etc. That diet was the biggest thing to control insulin spikes, then exercise, and then if those two weren't enough -- and they often aren't -- to opt for some medication like metformin.

So he actually didn't tell tell you to exercise afterwards, just that it was the second factor.
    Because the actual recommendations are diet AND exercise intervention for six months prior to treatment for all pre-Dia or borderline.

Both.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

But why bother?

Well, I trained and ran a half marathon and that didn't improve my insulin resistance. Along with 3x5 workout three times a week. So, at least for me, the exercise is the best thing certainly wasn't true. Whereas, implementing the low carb diet has been the thing that has helped me the most. I feel the best on it and my A1c levels have come down.

A suggestion - an increase in LBM % and not just reducing weight will mostly likely help further.
  • Lady_Yana
    Options
    I did paleo for a couple weeks. For the first week, week and a half I was GRUMPY. I did lose weight, but overall I personally didn't find it sustainable long term.