Is it okay to "flaunt"?

Options

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I don't know about it being "cocky" but the word inappropriate does come to mind. Save it for the beach or a walk at the park or around your house. A husband wants a lady he can show off. Other men have no problem checking women out even if they are right next to their husbands so it is best to not put him in that situation. As far as being around other women, if they aren't dressed down that way then it isn't really the place. I know your dilemma, when I lost weight before and could pull of the belly top I wanted to show it off everywhere I went. My husband hated it and I heard about it every chance he got. Even now, I get told to "dress down" so I don't cause too much attention. I only wear t shirt and jeans but apparently "too many men check me out". I am going to guess you are in your early to mid thirties around about so yeah, it sucks but midriff tops are not okay in most situations. Hey at least you can pull it off, good for you.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    If your fitness and body makes other people who are not as fit as you uncomfortable....I'd venture to say that's actually an issue they need to work through (by getting over it or changing it). I wouldn't wear the outfit you described to my Grandma's bday party, but you and I are the same age and I wouldn't hesitate to wear it to a cookout or something at a friend's house.

If this is actually your husband's way of saying HE is uncomfortable with it, then maybe y'all need to have a talk about that.

Eta: all bets are off in bars. If they'll let you in wearing it, it's appropriate.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Sad and pathetic is, interestingly enough, how I feel about your post. Someone who has to resort to "Well, I'm not the ONLY one who feels this way" as justification for a negative practice or who "laughs outright" at someone for what they wear? Doesn't strike me as a happy and confident person.
    I always thought the Dukes of Hazzard was a silly show, and I would think it was hysterical, regardless of what you think, I haven't seen women walking around dressed like that for a long, long time, not in my neck of the woods...you don't really get what I would find so funny about it, so I won't bother.

Again, I am not the only one who feels this way was about people I personally know, and I heard what other people I personally know say...things like oh, she dresses ridiculous, but she is a really nice person. Not absolutely terrible things, but it definitely affects the way people perceive you.

I don't care what you wear, but she came on here and asked opinions, and I gave an honest one, which you obviously do not like, did I hit a nerve or something?

I am sorry, but as women age they should think about it a little more. It is probable that if you are 30 or 40 something and you are trying to dress like a teenager, it might embarrass your kids, husband, etc., so unless you are single, you should be considerate of how your family feels too. My son would have been mortified if I picked him up at school like that when I was in my 30's.

This woman's husband had class to say something about it. My husband would sure as the sun rises say something to me in a situation like that.

Don't tell me I have to think it is alright, I feel the same way when I see a guy with jeans hanging down past his underwear line, it looks ridiculous.

I assume you likewise won't tell me I have to think what you said is alright and that I'm allowed to think you're ridiculous?

I am actually laughing at her post.

Pointing and laughing.

I'm mostly laughing at the idea of letting my husband have a say in my wardrobe. If he had his way I'd be dressed like a cat girl or like this

3311738-erza-scarlet-erza-scarlet-20854302-517-600.jpg

5.jpg

All the time.

IN!

Actually, before I leave the house I text my husband a picture, just to make sure that it meets with his approval.

:laugh:

LOLNOWAY

My face progression over these four short lines:

:happy:

:huh: :noway:

:happy:

:tongue:

HA!

If I REALLY did that, his response would generally be along the lines of "don't ask me about fashion, you know I'm terrible" (he really is) or "is that too big?" which roughly translates to: not tight enough over the *kitten*, or not nearly enough cleavage.

My husband is NOT allowed to dress me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't know about it being "cocky" but the word inappropriate does come to mind. Save it for the beach or a walk at the park or around your house. A husband wants a lady he can show off. Other men have no problem checking women out even if they are right next to their husbands so it is best to not put him in that situation. As far as being around other women, if they aren't dressed down that way then it isn't really the place. I know your dilemma, when I lost weight before and could pull of the belly top I wanted to show it off everywhere I went. My husband hated it and I heard about it every chance he got. Even now, I get told to "dress down" so I don't cause too much attention. I only wear t shirt and jeans but apparently "too many men check me out". I am going to guess you are in your early to mid thirties around about so yeah, it sucks but midriff tops are not okay in most situations. Hey at least you can pull it off, good for you.

Well. That's alarming.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Okay I will not wear short shorts, because It would expose the stretchmarks on my inner thighs that extend half way to my knee. My husband on the other hand would encourage me to wear them, and tell me how great and sexy they look. He brags about my success with his friends and several of them (both male/female) find me attractive and flirt with me or whatever. Its harmless and I flirt back a bit too, but nothing ever comes of it. My husband does not get jealous ever, and he knows I am his only and would never leave him. So OP to answer your question, "If ya got it flaunt it!" Show off that sexy body and have fun, life is too short not too!
  • Otterluv
    Options

Well. That's alarming.

What's really alarming is that she apparently sees nothing wrong with it.

I'm beginning to think that I got REALLY lucky with my husband. Imma' go give that man a hug.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Well. That's alarming.

On so many levels
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Well. That's alarming.

I'm beginning to think that I got REALLY lucky with my husband. Imma' go give that man a hug.

With his explicit permission, of course.
  • Otterluv
    Options

Well. That's alarming.

With his explicit permission, of course.

Well, duh!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Absolutely flaunt it!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Well. That's alarming.

Agreed! I'm so glad my boyfriend loves when I dress sexy. My ex was the jealous type and well he's an ex. :laugh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Well. That's alarming.

Indeed I think the husband and his willingness to go outside with me be I in a tshirt and jeans, a crop top and a skirt, or short shorts and a cami have earned some...educational pictures.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Here's something I haven't had to deal with in a long time, but hear me out please..

In high school (late 90's-early 00's for me), I was fit and happy. I wore the 'trendy' styles that I liked such as bare midriffs and daisy dukes and never thought twice about it. I was 5'3" and 118lbs in high school. Currently I'm 5'3" and 100-102lbs.

This weekend proved to have top notch weather, so I went out and bought a pair of short shorts from Target. For the record, these shorts don't show crack or butt, though they are short. I put them on and popped on a top that showed about an inch of midriff. Sadly, this was met with disapproval by my husband. I love my husband and he is a good person with good intentions. The situation was that we were going to go walking downtown and hit up a bar or two with patios. We were then going to go to a party being thrown by a friend of his and that friend's wife. He informed me that he thought it would look like I was 'showing off' and that it could make his friend's wife jealous. That being said, I now feel iffy about what I should or shouldn't wear around people. Does it just come off cocky or rude to dress in a skimpy fashion in the summer months? To be a little more specific.. when dressing that way around friends who may not be in as good of shape as you make you an insensitive jerk?

I'm not trying to throw my husband under the bus or anything. I think he may have a point and I don't want to upset anyone or make them feel less confident. I also want to enjoy my own rediscovered confidence though..

I really don't care what type of clothes you wear, but what concerns me is that you are at least 10 pounds and a little bit underweight if you have a very slight bone structure and about 20 pounds plus if you have an average frame. I am 4'11 " and a tiny git and 100-103 pounds is my ideal weight.
  • golfmanwl
    golfmanwl Posts: 69
    Options
    Very interesting thread....a female friend of mine and I have had discussions over this topic on a few occasions. Think I'll share this thread with her.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

:huh: so much is wrong with this.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Keep looking for Amy, Amy... She's somewhere buried under a tyrannical relationship.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I see where you're coming from but you still need to be your own person. For example, I have been showing off my belly ever since I was confident enough to do it. I first started out only wearing a sports bra to my Zumba classes then I started going shopping for crop tops because of my confidence and fashion trends. My bf and I have been dating for 8 months and recently I started to pull out my summer clothes. At first he didn't feel comfortable with me wearing them then I told him I do. If people stare or guys look that's on them, I do not react to it. I don't like it when people stare and think "she's hot" because I want someone to respect me for who I am as a person rather than I look. I just told him to trust me and that everything will be fine. So far we are doing good, and he likes the way I look. lol I always bring a small jacket with me as well in case I get cold or in case I am in a setting where it is inappropriate to wear those clothes. Like in case we go to dinner and I'll put a jacket on in respect of the children around and stuff depending on how short my shirt is. I say it's all about being confident in yourself and knowing your boundaries on wearing those kind of clothes. You wouldn't obviously wear them to work.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Alexa-chung-party-outfit-2.gif

bright-short-dress-908x1024.jpg

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFnNxVnZDdHZGNEJHVWRTUUcxSmRMRlEAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

casual-fashion-outfits-2012-3.jpg

summer-outfits-35.jpg

blue-dress.jpg

I love that last outfit!

My own personal opinion - unless you are in high school nix the crop top and super short shorts. It's great that you are confident enough to flaunt your body, but your husband is obviously not comfortable with it for whatever reason.

The rule I live by is to either flaunt the top half or the bottom half but never both at the same time. So if you want to wear the short shorts, wear a nice top that doesn't show too much cleavage or midriff, paired with a pair of super high heels. If you want to show cleavage then wear jeans or tailored pants. You can still flaunt your hot bod without showing too much skin, and IMO way sexier and classier.

And you know that if you show up to their house wearing barely anything your husband's friend is going to be imagining you and his wife pillow fighting nekkid or something. Do you really want that?

Edit: I wish I still had the legs to wear short shorts :sad:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Just break up.
  • Mhaigh27
    Mhaigh27 Posts: 3
    Options
    Not wearing shorts to prevent others from feeling bad about themselves is like cutting your long hair off in case someone with short hair gets offended. Do what you want and don't worry about how others feel about the way you look. It's your body, don't cover yourself up. If other people are really that easily offended by your body, they can go blog about it. Not your problem.

Exactly how I feel about it.
    If you genuinely don't want to "offend" anyone with your body (which you worked hard for and should enjoy!) then sure, wear something to please others.
    But personally, I stopped caring about what others think I should wear in my teens and it hasn't changed since.
    It's your life, your body. it comes down to whether you care about what others think or not in terms of your appearance, husband included.
    Either way, well done on reaching a healthy goal and enjoy that longer healthier life. =]