Peanut Butter Addiction

Options

Replies

• fasy1
    fasy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    IMHO: Food addictions can be real. Compulsive overeating is the opposite side of the coin from anorexia. In fact, people will go between the two disorders. If you believe yourself to have an eating disorder I'd find a 12 step program (OA) to help. It's not about willpower if it's addiction.
    I go through periods where I binge eat a lot on one particular food, I do not know why I do it, but I have done it till it made me sick and tired of whatever food it was and then I get over it for months and even longer till the next binge phase comes back....
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Jillian michaels winning by losing is a great book. It made me realize a lot about the reasons I eat and to really look at the reasons and replace it with other activities.

I love JM, I will look for the book

It helped me a lot. And I had major issues. Lol. I'd have to buy some sort of junk food each day. Then I'd eat it and feel the guilt. But here's the weird part....I wouldn't even want to eat the food. I'd only eat it because I bought it. The addiction was buying it. Then I moved on to buying it but giving it away. Now I rarely buy anything unless it fits my calories. But everyone and then I will buy junk and give it to my husband still. I'm still working on things.
  • fasy1
    Options
    OP Back, thank you everyone for the responses. I will clarify a bit. I used the word " addicted" because I have an addictive personality ( not just for food) and when I am into something, it messes up my brain so bad that it's the only thing I can think about, like @ work, all I think about is the end of teh day, when i can finally sit down and have my apples + PB. I buy the Smucker's natural brand so it doesn't have any sugar in it, just peanuts and salt. I might crave it because I don't eat a lot of other fat, I try to get all my fat from the PB. I heard about PB2 and actually bought it but have yet to try it, it is still in my pantry . The one I have is the chocolate flavor as I couldn't find the plain one, for some reason I am thinking it will taste weird but I will give it a shot. To the person who asked if the apples +PB was in addition to something else, no that's basically my dinner. The natural PB was on sale at the store and I bought 8 jars, I don't want to finish these in a few days so I really need to stick to a certain amount/day. Right now, I don't eat it during the day, just @ night, there are days when I add a spoon to my oatmeal for breakfast but rarely. Thank you again

Here's a thought, get one jar out and make it last a set period of time, say 2 weeks or even a month. Hide the others somewhere really inconvenient, maybe a neighbor's house. Tell you neighbor your plan. Do not go buy anymore until those 8 jars are gone.

I've tried both regular PB2 and the chocolate PB2. I only use it in protein shakes and smoothies so I can't tell you much about mixing it with water. I didn't taste much chocolate in the chocolate PB2 though.

Like the idea of making the jar last for a certain amount of time. Just to give u an idea of how sick my brain can be, my brain tells me the opposite " just eat it all and get it over with" and thats how the binge starts, I just tell myself "well since you already ate half the jar, just finish it, it won't hurt" and thats the cycle i have to get out of and reprogram. I will use the PB2 that I have. Thanks!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You can take my Peanut butter over my cold dead spoon. PB2 is not Peanut Butter. I don't mind it but it is not a "replacement"...

In retaliation, I'm having me some regular Peanut Butter for breakfast. Maybe lather myself up in it O.O
  • fasy1
    Options
    Jillian michaels winning by losing is a great book. It made me realize a lot about the reasons I eat and to really look at the reasons and replace it with other activities.

It helped me a lot. And I had major issues. Lol. I'd have to buy some sort of junk food each day. Then I'd eat it and feel the guilt. But here's the weird part....I wouldn't even want to eat the food. I'd only eat it because I bought it. The addiction was buying it. Then I moved on to buying it but giving it away. Now I rarely buy anything unless it fits my calories. But everyone and then I will buy junk and give it to my husband still. I'm still working on things.

I totally get that, I sometimes eat junk even when I am not hungry, just because it is there I guess and is something to do. I have a very weird relationship with food!
  • fasy1
    Options
    You can take my Peanut butter over my cold dead spoon. PB2 is not Peanut Butter. I don't mind it but it is not a "replacement"...

In retaliation, I'm having me some regular Peanut Butter for breakfast. Maybe lather myself up in it O.O

lol, thanks for the encouragement ! Be careful, you might be hooked after that breakfast :-p
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

lol, thanks for the encouragement ! Be careful, you might be hooked after that breakfast :-p

I'll just get a spoon and a bathtub ready for it. Bring on the peanut butter. Maybe melt some chocolate too
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options

I totally get that, I sometimes eat junk even when I am not hungry, just because it is there I guess and is something to do. I have a very weird relationship with food!

I totally get eating something till it's gone. My dad will buy me a chocolate bunny every Easter. I always plan on eating just a bit but overdo it. Then I tell myself "if I eat it all it won't be a concern anymore" and since it's from my dad I'm too sentimental about him buying it for me to throw it away.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Compulsion and addiction are not the same things at all. People seem to be using them interchangeably on this thread so just wanted to point that out. Also both of those words have specific clinical meanings that are also being totally disregarded. Using terms flippantly like that minimises the experiences of people who do struggle with these issues in a clinical sense. So, yeah, please have some consideration for that.
  • fasy1
    Options
    I just ordered the JM book on Amazon, looking forward to reading it and getting better eating habits from it.
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    Compulsion and addiction are not the same things at all. People seem to be using them interchangeably on this thread so just wanted to point that out. Also both of those words have specific clinical meanings that are also being totally disregarded. Using terms flippantly like that minimises the experiences of people who do struggle with these issues in a clinical sense. So, yeah, please have some consideration for that.

Ok I get the compulsion meaning because I have BAD OCD. But how would addiction differ? More of a chemical response as opposed to something we feel we need to do or have being more mental?
  • fasy1
    Options
    In case anyone else is interested, there is another book that I am getting that was recommended as well, it is called "Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Revised Edition" by Joel Fuhrman.
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    In case anyone else is interested, there is another book that I am getting that was recommended as well, it is called "Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Revised Edition" http://smile.amazon.com/dp/031612091X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=BJZ1ET4LPEV7&coliid=I1RBE30D1RP52X

I might have to check that out.
    :)
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I got the Chocolate PB2 at WalMart, they also have regular PB2, and YES, it tastes like a Reeses for only 45 cal per TBS - 2 TBS with an apple is to die for! JUST WATCH THE CARB AND SUGARS, if you are diabetic. There is added sugar in the chocolate PB2 and I think also in the regular PB2, so if you are diabetic, don't overdo.
  • fasy1
    Options
    In case anyone else is interested, there is another book that I am getting that was recommended as well, it is called "Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Revised Edition" http://smile.amazon.com/dp/031612091X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=BJZ1ET4LPEV7&coliid=I1RBE30D1RP52X

I might have to check that out.
    :)

Yeh, the reviews on Amazon are good, so Iam curious!
  • fasy1
    Options
    I got the Chocolate PB2 at WalMart, they also have regular PB2, and YES, it tastes like a Reeses for only 45 cal per TBS - 2 TBS with an apple is to die for! JUST WATCH THE CARB AND SUGARS, if you are diabetic. There is added sugar in the chocolate PB2 and I think also in the regular PB2, so if you are diabetic, don't overdo.

I heard about that 2, I am not diabetic, but between sugar and fat, what's the worse poison? :)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    PB2 is your friend. 45 calories for 2 TBS. 85% of the fat and calories have been removed. Indulge all you want.

what?What is that you are talking about?? PN2?
    I need that!~
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If this makes you feel better about it - peanuts have a lot of good things in them that are healthy for you - so maybe eating that and apples isn't so bad, if you can manage to keep it within your cal limits for the day.

I too love PB but don't eat the natural kind. One thing I found that helped decrease some cals from it was getting the whipped PB (Jif) that spreads easily, and is fluffier, and less cals per tbsp. And because it spreads so easily, I can make the amount go further.
    Might help! Haven't tried the PB2 that everyone is singing praises about - might look into that.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

I heard about that 2, I am not diabetic, but between sugar and fat, what's the worse poison? :)

Neither, one is carbs your body uses for energy, the other fat is essential for hormone regulation and overall health.

If you want an enemy, look in the mirror. We are the champion or the villain. You can't blame an inanimate object