WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - check, MIL fed - check, husband fed - check, dogs fed - check , walked the dogs - check, filled camel bak - check, clean and lubed chain - check, tires pumped up - check, bike loaded - check, all gear accounted for - check … now to ride … it is time for the Burnsville Metric.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Off to fill in for my older boy's pca ... she quit and he has no one scheduled to replace her. (son lives independently, but is wheelchair dependent) He's getting to sleep in this morning because I am definitely late!! Then brunch with the neighborhood girls. Afternoon will be spent cleaning and doing laundry ...

Sylvia ... by all means, if your insurance allows, move on to a doctor with experience! If you find someone you trust, then maybe your son will follow??

Amanda ... hang in there ... my mom did the same thing. She had lost lots of weight with Weight Watchers and then had gall bladder issues. Before her surgery she got so thin ... nearly everyone worried.

Beth in Western New York
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!:flowerforyou:

This has been a long week for me. Work has been stressful and hectic especially yesterday! Then we had torrential rain driving home. Most of the roads were flooded.:sad: I was thankful for my experiences on the Outer Banks teaching me how to drive through lakes stretching across the road and driving parallel to a Tornado in Greensboro. (DeeDee I hope you guys made out well – I saw there were a couple of tornados in the Rocky Mount Area).

We had Revival at church this week. I really enjoyed it but it sure made for long days – getting up at 5 AM; to the gym or walking Storm; at work by 8 AM; home at 5:30 PM; at church by 7:30 PM; back home at 10 PM; to bed at 12 AM and then starting all over again!:yawn: It was a little tough making sure I ate in a reasonable manner!

Anyway, the weather forecast says we will be in the 80s today!:happy: I have housework and grandkids; supposed to go to an outdoor after Easter celebration; and I am wheezing to beat the band! I hate to miss the after Easter celebration but I will have to see if I can do that!

I forgot to tell you guys that Cherry Tere turned into Pinky Tere after a week or two. That was interesting!:laugh: Anyway, I tried it again and now I am really Purple Tere!:laugh: This has been so much fun!:smooched:

Hope the weather is great for all of you and you have a wonderful weekend!:heart:

Tere
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!:flowerforyou:

I forgot to tell you guys that Cherry Tere turned into Pinky Tere after a week or two. That was interesting!:laugh: Anyway, I tried it again and now I am really Purple Tere!:laugh: This has been so much fun!:smooched:

Hope the weather is great for all of you and you have a wonderful weekend!:heart:

Tere

Awesome! You're inspiring me to maybe try some pink or purple this summer:tongue:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Hearing that you’re celebrating the anniversary of the day you and your DH met, it would be lovely to hear the story of your meeting. I am a die-hard romance fan.:love: It sounds like you had a great time with the DGC. Congratulations!:bigsmile:

Cadoro: The basics of MFP are to log every bite and swallow, log your exercise, and stay within the calories they allow. MFP does the math for you nicely and will also give good information on nutrition. Many people also value the support they get from friends here on MFP, and this group of women is particularly supportive and positive. You can change your life, even if you have additional health challenges. It takes time and constant effort. Welcome and good luck.:flowerforyou:

Anamika: If your hair is curly, you will be lovely. If your hair is straight you will also be lovely. I’ve never had mine straightened, and have no other advice.:flowerforyou:

Patty in Cincinnati: Vitamin D is the best mood lifter! Congratulations on an enjoyable work out.:flowerforyou:

Eileen: Congratulations on the new grandson!:flowerforyou:

Barbie: Two line dance classes in one day? No wonder you are tired. Enjoy your rest.:flowerforyou:

Michele: Key Lime cupcakes! Yum. Do they freeze well? I’d love the recipe for them. I love your strategy for the meal with Steve. You and Vince might enjoy a trip to CO to visit him. There are some beautiful places in CO. The altitude change could be a challenge. We drive there rather than fly to help ourselves adjust to the altitude, but that would be an exceedingly long drive from NC.:noway: :flowerforyou:

Saundraschult: I can’t help wondering how much sodium you consumed in your food. Have faith, keep doing the right thing, and drink plenty of water. Log every bite and swallow and measure your portions! The weight will eventually come off.:flowerforyou:

Grandmalle: You made cookies and didn’t sample any! HUGE NSV! :bigsmile: I wouldn’t trust myself to even try that.

JB: Depresso!!! Hilarious.:laugh: :laugh:

Blondlis: Welcome to the group.:flowerforyou:

Yannijannie: I’m with you on the childcare issue. I’ve helped my DD out with DGD and enjoyed every minute of it, but it is a rare event. They live four states away from me. A dear friend moved to FL to be near her daughter and grandson, but bought a home an hours drive from DD's place. She gets to see the kids when she wants to, but isn’t the daycare service.:wink::flowerforyou:

Carol on the Crystal Coast in NC: Sounds like a great place to retire. Enjoy your vacation.:flowerforyou:

Kim in NCA: I wouldn’t dare go to a Gourmet Club, too many food sensitivities. Do your best to log your food, and move on.:flowerforyou:

Meg: Sorry about your students’ poor exam results. Dealing with DD and her situation is quite a challenge. I’m keeping your family in my prayers.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Do you know what they call the person who graduates last in his class at medical school? Doctor. :grumble: I hope this guy was just having an off day. You may have to take the long drive to a larger city if he turns out to be a dud. We’ve noticed that there are online reviews for doctors that we can easily access though the internet. You might check and see what you find. The first neurologist DH went to when we didn’t yet realize he had MS was a total dud.:angry::mad: I looked him up online later and noticed his reviews confirmed my opinion. DH’s current neurologist is “a kid” but brilliant at his job.:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Renny: My grandmother was a person who relied on sleeping pills, and later was diagnosed with Alzheimers. My mom blamed the pills, so I’ve always treated them like poison. Mom had good instincts about things like that and there were some really bad products on the market back in the late 60’s and early 70s when DGM was going through this. If you need the rest, you need to do something about it. What does your doctor recommend?:flowerforyou:

Amanda: Take care of yourself. You may have to push yourself to eat despite lack of appetite. You don’t want to be too weak to undergo surgery when your turn comes.:flowerforyou:

DH wants to bring the fishing boat back from the repair guy today. Repair guy recommends a new motor. $$$$$$$$$. I HATE spending money. :sad: :sad: :sad: Best wishes for success to all.:flowerforyou:

Cheapskate Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day.
  • saundraschultz58
    saundraschultz58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! It's A Beautiful Day! Thanks for acknowledging a new comer... I've been good this week...nearly starving myself staying well under 1200 cals a day ...not as healthy but the scale moved 3 lbs since Monday! I'm sure it's the water weight but it's encouraging! Gonna take my girls out for a jog/run this morning...Zuri & Lizy are a fabulous support team! They always love me no matter what! Every time they see me it's like I've just come home from being gone all day when in fact they just saw me outback 5 minutes ago! Hahahahahaa!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh pups.........ya gotta luv 'em! Have a Blessed weekend to all, Thanks for allowing me to invade your space!
  • kathrineb57
    kathrineb57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies, My work week was really messed up this week. And I missed weigh-in yesterday. So, I weighed in today. And I stayed the same. I had a good week, even with the challenges of packing lunch and dinner for work or eating at work those two meals. We eat with the residents during the meals, and the food is prepared by a wonderful chef. Awesome pies! And I stayed away from those pies even on the days they were YELLING my name.

I was not surprised that I did not lose, since I lost 7 lbs for the month of April. Yeah! I met my goal of a 5 pound lost for April. And I am meeting my other goals of walking three time a week, and creating a healthy breakfast recipe collection. We are all creatures of habit and I come to realize I eat certain breakfast foods on work days and other meals on days off. I am comfortable with my choices and plan on making Mays goal of finding lunch meals that suit me on a regular basis to replace my old unhealthy ones I seem to want to go back to.

I have been leafing through a book a friend let me borrow, not sure about the diet plan, I just was interested in the recipes. I am a diabetic she thought I would find some good recipes. The book is called 2 Day Diabetic Diet.

Reba - I am going to order that Fitbit. Thanks for the incentive. Great job on increasing your steps. You do count your Leslie Sansome workout steps don't you? My total steps yesterday was 13,113. Today,will be a bit more of a challenge because I am not at work racking up those steps.. But I am going shopping, and then a walk. Wish me luck.

Looseseal - Hi Jo, Have you been able to find out about Griefshare in your area? Hope to hear from you soon.

Please, who ever it was that suggested Griefshare to me at the beginning of the month when I joined this thread, please let me know who you are. I would really like to hear from you and thank you again personally.

Well, I promised myself a portion of my tax refund to splurge on myself and my grandson Gage. Off we go shopping. Summer clothes for me and a bike for him. And he is standing at the front door, waiting on Grandma.

Be healthy and strong women,

Kathrine from Kansas
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Meg – Dd is being tough she doesn’t realize that there are 21 + tough years ahead. Sending good thoughts for everyone to listen to each other and truly “hear” . :smile:

Sylvia – what a drag that the dr. is so clueless – and if that who is treating your son, there may be better treatments for both of you with someone else…but a drag if you have to drive to far.

Heather – what a great time, I have never had Turkish food… in fact have never heard of a Turkish restaurant around here… I’ll have to check; is it like Indian? Or??? :smile:

Well just a quick check in as I am off to garden in my garden club's "garden of eden" it is 4 acres of fruits and veggies that we maintain and harvest for our local food bank. Last year was the 2nd year and we donated 1 ton of produce to the food bank, this year the trees are more mature and should be producing more. it is the end of the winter veggie harvesting and planting of tomato plants - we are hoping to plant 300 this morning. here's hoping for a good turn out of volunteers.

happy weekend one and all.
    Kim in N. California
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Can I ask where you buy homeopathic remedies? I take a med for sleeping,but would like to use another type.Pat in Ohio

"Just wanted to let anyone know that struggles with sleep issues a homeopathic remedy called Calms has helped me where nothing else does. No side effects, not a drug, a homeopathic remedy. They do have other remedies to address sleep as well. Just thought i would throw that out there if anyone might be in need. "
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat!
    enjoy the day!!
    hugs
    jane
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Horrible storms and wind yesterday late afternoon/early evening but came through unscathed. Hope everyone else did too. Tai chi and yoga then IHOP with exercise friends this am.; once again substituted fresh fruit for hash browns to end up with a decent calorie count. Returned call making plans for meeting my friend for the musical tonight. Another beautiful sunny day here.

Carol.........I think Crystal Coast is more south than I'll be. I did attend a Marine wedding on the base there (or near there) a couple years ago.

Kim..........How often does your Gormet Group meet??? Would be very dangerous for me, calorie wise!!! I have enough of trouble dealing with the meals out I already have
    this am at IHOP, this evening a free reception at an upscale local restaurant (one I can't afford [see mention of IHOP]) both before and after the musical. It will be quite a treat. I really can't wait to see what they serve!

Vicki........Hope you got lots of bargains at the yard sales and got your fit bit! My fav. are estate sales although they make me sad; I love the idea of continuing to take care of a well-loved piece of furniture or even a bowl that has history and giving it more longevity.

Beth..........Glad to make your son smile!!! Our kids have something else in common
    my DD has migraines with visual disturbances also (sees heavy outlines on stuff, shimmers, wierd light play)..........neurologist diagnosed basilar artery migraines.

Sylvia...........LOVE the #1 Ladies Dectective Agency series.

Tere.........I've noticed some older women using that colored chalk to get different color highlights; thought about it myself.

Royally pi$$ed off at DH
    let's just leave it at that.

yanniejannie
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It was a rainy dreary morning this morning, but it's supposed to clear off, I think. I'm up at the studio and have just started my kiln. It will run while we are gone to the lake cabin this weekend. I like being out there in the rain. It's so peaceful. But the dogs do get pretty muddy.

Today's joke of the day is a long one:

:happy:

The animals were bored. Finally, the lion had an idea. "I know a really exciting game that the humans play called football. I've seen it on T.V."

He proceeded to describe it to the rest of the animals and they all got excited about it so they decided to play. They went out to the field and chose up teams and were ready to begin.

The lion's team received. They were able to get two first downs and then had to punt. The mule punted and the rhino was back deep for the kick. He caught the ball, lowered his head and charged. First, he crushed a roadrunner, then two rabbits. He gored a wildebeest, knocked over two cows, and broke through to daylight, scoring six.

Unfortunately, they lacked a place-kicker, and the score remained 6 - 0.

Late in the first half the lion's team scored a touchdown and the mule kicked the extra point. The lion's team led at halftime 7 - 6. In the locker room, the lion gave a pep talk. "Look you guys. We can win this game. We've got the lead and they only have one real threat. We've got to keep the ball away from the rhino, he's a killer. Mule, when you kick off be sure to keep it away from the rhino."

The second half began. Just as the mule was about to kick off, the rhino's team changed formation and the ball went directly to the rhino. Once again, the rhino lowered his head and was off running. First, he stomped two gazelles. He skewered a zebra, and bulldozed an elephant out of the way. It looked like he was home free. Suddenly at the twenty-yard line, he dropped over dead. There were no other animals in sight anywhere near him. The lion went over to see what had happened. Right next to the dead rhino he saw a small centipede.

"Did you do this?" he asked the centipede.

"Yeah, I did." the centipede replied.

The lion retorted, "Where were you during the first half?"

"I was putting on my shoes."

:laugh:

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie - I am about 20-25 miles from Camp Lejeune. I think. I know that once I get by the base and through Jacksonville, that I am in the home stretch!

The weather is absolutely gorgeous here today! I spent all morning on the porch then went down to the beach for a couple of hours. I walked about five miles while I was there. There are more people around today. I've been being pretty much alone on the beach! I will head back down after dinner to watch the sunset.

Today was PBJ and quinoa crisps for lunch--I even ate lunch on the porch! Tonight, I will finish up my veggies and final hamburger patty. I've set my calories to maintenance while I'm here and still ending the day with a pretty large deficit, so there should be no I'll effects from food for the weekend.

Meg - Hang in there! I would have reacted the same way you did, more than likely. A large part of being an adult is doing what is right and necessary whether it suits your preferences or not!

Amanda - How long has it been since you had an ultrasound? Your gallbladder's condition might have changed, making you sicker.

Have an awesome rest of the day!

Carol in NC
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Thank you,saved the site & will share with youngest DD. [She seems to have inherited the " hard to sleep" pill. It came from my Mom,even my bro had it. Pat in Ohio
    quote]
    IF anyone needs this information, this is Hyland's website. It will tell you what store near you sell their products. They have several sleep remedies, no side effects. They work wonders. Lenny
    http://www.hylands.com
    [/quote]
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    They finally came in!!!!! Walmart got their light weight pajamas in. I have been wearing the 2X or 1X for years and was looking forward to getting in the large. I love the capri length light cotton PJs. They wash, dry and fold just wonderful, never lose their shape or shrink and come in some nice colors. The top is a button up but I just pull it over my head. I needed to get some ant killer last night and so went over to check and they were there. The large is a 12 - 14 and they fit just perfect. Now I can empty my drawers of my others!!! I went to the shopping complex to go to Kohls. I had got an email that the Simply Vera Wang jeans were 50% off so were $24.99! I have 3 pair and you can never have to many nice jeans so I went. All the had on the display were skinny leg and roll up cuffs so I asked for help and they sent me to the kiosk to order them and they would be delivered to my house for free. The only ones they ahd on line in the boot cut were 3 sizes, 0, 2 or 6!!! So I bought a pair of Crocs flats instead!!!! I needed some more trouser socks but i knew if I bought them at Kohls I would be paying a lot more than at Walmart so I went across the shopping comlex to Wally world and got my socks, ant bait, PJs, found a shirt and that dreaded Snickers bar. Had too eat the evidence in the car so it would be gone by the time I got home. But I walked off a lot of calories in the two stores.

Beautiful weather will be ending this weekend:sad:

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,795 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    worked until 12:30 today and then had the rest of the day to myself, so I went to a nursery and got a kit to make a fairy garden.. I made a beach kit.. it is just adorable ,if I could figure out how to post a picture to here I would.. It has 2 little adirondack chairs, I bought a little plant that looks like a palm tree, there is a little sand castle and stepping stones.I got a 10" round terra cotta pot, and filled with potting mix,put the plant in... and covered it with sand and added the chairs table and extra's it is just lovely and I have it on my bureau...
    I truly believe we meet people in our lives for a reason.. the girl who waited on me is the daughter of the owner of the nursery..
    She just loved my earrings(Herons) and she said I just love herons they have very special meaning to me since I lost my mom, well that is the same reason for my obsession too. we both have a Heron tattoo on out right ankle.. and we just kept chuckling that we are both crazy Heron Ladies.. so now I have a new friend.. which is just wonderful.
    oh and I also bought my hairdresser girlfriend a mini orchid... she will love it!!!
    came home and then went up to Wild Birds unlimited.. just to poke around and window shop, I cant afford all that stuff,but would LOVE it...
    then I went to Whole Foods... I shouldnt have gone on a saterday afternoon cause it was crazy in there,but got myself a small slice of white pizza and a unsweetened chai latte. it was yummy... then I came home and put my beach garden together, fed and walked the dogs and now im in my jammies, with my heated mattress pad on:grumble: really the end of april and i have to have this on,but at least I am cozy..
    ate bad today,, but tomorrow is another day:embarassed:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,
    Deedee:drinker:

Joyce congrats on the smaller size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol good job on the food choices.

Sylvia cute joke.:laugh:

Yanniejannie hope took some deep breaths and things are better with DH.:flowerforyou:

Jane hugs.:flowerforyou:

Is calm a Bach remedy. If it is you could probably find it at a health or coop food store.

Kim wonderful to be gathering veggies for the food shelves.:smile:

Katherine good job at maintaining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you eat less than 1200 calories a day you risk going into starvation mode. You might end up losing but unfortunately some of it might be muscle and your metabolism will so down making it harder to lose and keep the weight off in the long run. Losing and keeping weight off is a marathon not a sprint.

Eileen congrats on new grandson!

Amanda good luck with gallbladder surgery.:flowerforyou:

Sandy I had a tooth that the filling needed to be replaced. It took a good three months before it was not sensitive anymore. You could also have the dentist recheck the bite. They check the bite when you still have the Novacain and sometimes it needs to be readjusted. Hope it is feeling better.:flowerforyou:

Went out with a friend today to see The Other Woman. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It was just nice to go out with a friend. Went to another workshop in the morning called 123 Magic discipline. Reminded me the importance of setting expectations when I come into a classroom. I also liked how she talked about how ineffective saying sorry is most of the time. She talked about how to get students to learn how the other child is feeling and then work towards how I can do something that helps instead.

Today I will log my food, so tomorrow hopefully the scale will go down instead of up.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    :blushing: I didn't do as told when y'all kept reminding me about sunscreen. :ohwell: I don't think there is too much damage. My forehead is the reddest place. :laugh: It was so beautiful that I spent more time outside than I intended.

I didn't so good with food today. The only "bad" food I had was a Dairy Queen dipped cone and I walked 3 miles round trip to get it!! I was just hungry all day. I looked back at yesterday and I had almost 700 calories left so I think I just was truly hungry. I ate decent stuff but just too much of it. However, I am still under goal by around 300 calories. I've walked 10.5 miles today--I'll have more than 19,000 steps by bedtime!!

Speaking of which, I need to go take my shower so that I can get towels washed tonight. I got smart and brought my own sheets this time so I can just throw them in the bag and be done.

Good night!

Carol in NC