How many dates should a guy pay for?

Options

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Whoever has more money should pay. The poor shouldnt be treating others out to dinner much anyway.
    Just because one has less money does not give them the right to mooch off the one that has more.

Edit: DANG IT, brain... -shakes fist-
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all of them... the only few dates I've ever paid for is if I have been the one to make the plans and it involved buying tickets or something in advance. I pretty much go for men from very traditional cultures so he gets the honor or paying for our dates.... and if we wind up getting married, I get the honor of cooking and cleaning for him until I die so I guess it all works out in the end.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I always want to pay for myself

& I am broke as a joke soooooooooo I never go on dates unless they are the free kind
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

& I am broke as a joke soooooooooo I never go on dates unless they are the free kind

Oh rilly?? How you doin? :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

2jea9hj.jpg
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    They who invite and make the plan pay the bill. It's as simple as that. If I invite someone to dinner, regardless of the reason I am going to be paying. It is my responsibility. It's not a standard I hold other people to. That being said.. if you are dating someone, not just going on a date, that is a little bit different. I have in the past turned that into a game of who can find the most creative way to pay before the other person thinks to get their money out.
  • gunshowgreg
    gunshowgreg Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think it not gentleman like if I don't pay for the date. But there is exceptions if I got a surprise or something. I like to be old fashioned. Even after I got married I still opened the car door for my wife and I plan to do the same for my daughter
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

2jea9hj.jpg

creepy-smile-o.gif
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice to split the bill, eliminates expectations.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    ALL OF THEM.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Whoever has more money should pay. The poor shouldnt be treating others out to dinner much anyway.
    Just because one has less money does not give them the right to mooch off the one that has more.

I have known of women who accept offers for dates solely for the free meal.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was always told growing up that they guy should pay.

In my (albeit limited) experience, it really doesn't matter. If he offers to pay, I let him. If he doesn't offer I pay my own share, no questions asked. The one time I paid my own meal though, I left the date thinking the guy was uninterested in seeing me again because he didn't even offer to pay at all....

For me, I guess it's not so much having him pay for everything all the time but offering to. Not sure, it's just a mental thing for me about southern hospitality? After the first date, I would insist on alternating the bill from that point.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

I have known of women who accept offers for dates solely for the free meal.
    You must have met my mother.
  • kmestripez
    kmestripez Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was raised in that the man should pay for all dates. However, times have changed and women make just as much money and take on as much responsibility as men. I would say the man should pay for the first date and the rest should be discussed so no one is thrown off guard or comes unprepared. I don't think it's fair to agree to go on a date and then tell the other person that they're paying.
  • laurajane19901
    Options
    On first dates I've always offered to pay my way but the guy has usually refused to let me. Then it just seems to progress the longer you date - now we'll either split the bill or take turns paying.

On the other hand I have a friend who won't pay for anything and even after years of being with her fella she makes him pay for everything. I don't agree with it but everyone's different.
  • ThomRhodes
    ThomRhodes Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My last date consisted of us having a debit card war, we pretended they were swords and we was fighting for the honour of paying for the meal. During the meal.

Edit: She's now my girlfriend. She pays for half of everything, but still.
  • azyzzam
    azyzzam Posts: 36
    Options
    1st: guy (but girl should offer to split)
    2nd: guy (but girl should offer to split)
    later on, I think the girl should definitely "take care of it" occasionally
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    all of them
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    I usually pay for dates until we are officially dating. But I have friends who split down the middle from the first date. Then I met women who wanted to pay half from get-go cuz they thought otherwise they'd owe me something. How about you?

I usually go prepared to pay... just in case. But if he offers or pays before I offer... than I will not deny him that. I will be grateful but I will certainly not feel like I owe him anything...
  • embrace_the_dark_side
    Options
    They pay.

I'm providing the entertainment