Too young for that ish :D
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Me!!!
  • spally2
    spally2 Posts: 22
    Options
    Childfree here as well. 40, single but have never particularly had an urge to have kids (although also a chance that I can't have them anyway due to a chromosone deficiency that seems to affect the females in my family). Have two gorgeous nieces aged 17 and 5, and I love them to bits but they are enough for me.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    My mind is honestly quite boggled by these responses. I guess most people here do not know of "childfree by choice" being a thing?

it's not the same as just not having kids, or having an empty nest because your children are older now...

THIS!
  • j3rmwarfare
    j3rmwarfare Posts: 243
    Options
    No
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    My wife and I have made the decision not to have children. We love kids and spoil our many nieces and nephews but we like to do what we want to do when we want to do it. And raising a kid in that environment would be irresponsible and just selfish so we decided not to.

And this is why I do not want kids. Personally I think it's just me being responsible.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I planned on being child free by choice, but then it just happened. I was young. But I'm glad I was young because now I'm 36 and almost empty nesting, it's nice to have a house sitter/pet sitter when I go on vacation without having to hire one! lol

I tell him all the time I had him just so I would have a free maid now that he is a teenager. (half joking)

My boyfriend is strictly child free by choice, thinks babies are horrible parasites and the world is far too overpopulated and hopes for a massive catastrophe that leaves a clean slate, just the animals to inherit the planet.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I also believe an IQ test should be required before you're allowed to reproduce, and families should be capped at two children, sterilized in the hospital after #2 is born.

Also, now that Earth 2 has been discovered...DIBS! I want to go live on the clean slate that hasn't been f@cked up yet!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I planned on being child free by choice, but then it just happened. I was young. But I'm glad I was young because now I'm 36 and almost empty nesting, it's nice to have a house sitter/pet sitter when I go on vacation without having to hire one! lol

I tell him all the time I had him just so I would have a free maid now that he is a teenager. (half joking)

My boyfriend is strictly child free by choice, thinks babies are horrible parasites and the world is far too overpopulated and hopes for a massive catastrophe that leaves a clean slate, just the animals to inherit the planet.

I have to say I'm relieved you two aren't ones that reproduced. Horrible parasites? Smh
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am childfree by choice! I have two kitties and a fiance who take up all my time. I love my life. I do get quite a lot of comments from friends who think I don't like children. It's not that I don't like them.......ok maybe I don't like them.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

His parents probably felt the same
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    There's a massive stigma against folks who are childfree by choice, i'm on a forum for folks like that and we get trolls all the time. Even on tv they talk about it like we're freaks. I got fixed years ago. I'm having enough fun being an uncle to my friends' kids, i don't want any of my own. Not to mention the mental health issues. Modern parents and society are part of why i didn't want them either, i'll be damned if some moron parent or idiot in the schools/government tell me how to raise a kid. Bad parents are why this nation is going to crap by being friends with the kid and not parents.
    I know many women, who don't want kids (childfree by choice), and the range of rude comments or inquiries they have heard is pretty intense.

I'm childless currently and can't imagine being child-free myself, but I support fully those, who are of that opinion. Good for you for listening to your hearts.
  • superdeformedchibi
    Options
    I think that child free people seem hostile and angry (based solely on this post).

This post is stressing me out far worse than my child does when he is acting up.

Not here to argue, just stating how I interpreted the replies in here by those who don't seem to appreciate comments by people with children. To people who have children, being "child free" can simply mean a trip to the grocery store alone. I see that the OP was edited to clarify so many responses probably came in before she did that.

i think that a lot of what you see is maybe more of a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of us. some of this in here was genuine "no, the term means this". but every person who makes this choice is told the SAME things by society over and over and over and OVER. and it does grate, and it can make us a little quicker to defend. b/c we're so used to having to do that.

This. Absolutely this. It's not an excuse for rudeness, but this is most likely why some of us went on the defensive in short order.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I also believe an IQ test should be required before you're allowed to reproduce, and families should be capped at two children, sterilized in the hospital after #2 is born.

Also, now that Earth 2 has been discovered...DIBS! I want to go live on the clean slate that hasn't been f@cked up yet!

What if your husband passes away, marry someone else, and he wants kids of his own?

What if something happens to your kids and suddenly you don't have any anymore?

Why should only smart people be allowed to reproduce?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

:huh: You two sound pleasant.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Why didn't his parents feel the same way?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

:huh: You two sound pleasant.

They sound like people I want to be friends with for sure. :huh:

I am quite glad they don't sterilize after #2 is born, I would have missed out on 2 of the best brothers on the planet if that was the case.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Aren't we all (at least myself) quite glad that you don't have the power to enforce your "ideas". It's a shame you can't look around and see that while there are problems, this world is far from ****ed up. There isn't a one of my 10 kids I would give up, oh but I do have a genius IQ. Though many would think I wasn't too smart to have that many kids.

BTW I will continue to fight anybody who wants to control my life and tell me that they know better and what is best for me. Nothing like the nannies running the nanny state.