The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    That you don't need to buy all this fancy crap or give up a ton of stuff to lose weight when moderation works well.
  • loriyeater
    loriyeater Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My mantra is "you gotta really want it"...because it takes focus, mindfulness, consistency over a long long time (for me, at least 6 months, 1 down and 5 to go...but I've been carrying around 65 extra pounds for 18 years, so I guess that's okay).
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have learned that losing weight is easy. Keeping it off, a whole other story!

I learned to LOVE and look forward to my workouts.

I learned to accept compliments.

I learned to enjoy food.... really enjoy it.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Losing weight won't change your personality.

When I started losing weigh, I became irritable, mean and self absorbed
    And I know a few people personally who have lost a bunch that have become cocky and self absorbed. I'm not talking about confidence, that's awesome. But they are more rude to people, when they used to be so sweet.
  • Mistress986
    Mistress986 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1. that you will have setbacks and make mistakes. just pick yourself up and keep going. dont let it be the excuse to not try again
    2. slow progress is still progress.
    3. weights are my friend
    4. changing up your workout is good for you
    5. once you start really losing weight, your friends and family will try to convince you that you CAN eat unhealthy since you've already lost some weight. It's the weirdest thing
    6. When people tell you that you look amazing, it will make you wonder if you looked really bad before. You didn't. Just accept it and say Thank you.
    7. Maintaining is hard as well as losing it. Find that exercise that you love to do (for me it's roller derby). you are really looking to make a lifestyle change. Not just diet.
  • SammieDQ37
    SammieDQ37 Posts: 37
    Options
    :sad: :blushing: :laugh: :explode: :grumble: :love: :embarassed: :smokin: :smooched:.............. That you will feel ALL of these emotions before you are actually PROUD OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS.:flowerforyou:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've grown so weary of people asking how I lost weight that I make up harmless crap like "Eat less, Move More" which while won't hurt, is certainly the most unhelpful load of junk ever written.

Only someone I truly care about gets a straight answer, and that's going to be at least a 15 minute long conversation.

There was no simple easy trick (actually there was, but even mentioning the P word will get heads rolling around here), there was a long list of "tricks" I worked up to at the time I was personally ready to take each step.

And yes, people will be completely jealous to the point that it upsets them if you even mention anything weight loss related.

Weight is a very, very emotional issue, and women have a tendency to compare themselves to other women.

I'm sorry, what's the P word?
  • strawberrykid
    Options
    bump
  • marmain
    marmain Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Many repeats, but here goes:

1. You get colder when you lose your weight!
    2. You can go from pooping twice a day to twice a week
    3. If you aren't peeing every 90 minutes, you aren't drinking enough
    4. You know you have reached a true change in behavior when you look at your Facebook feed and realize 90% of your posts are health and fitness related (and you are driving people nuts)
    5. The scale isn't as important as you think... Waist, heart rate, BP, muscle mass, neck size,etc can all change drastically without the scale moving.
    6. The 5 seconds of enjoyment from a donut isn't worth the hours of regret
    7. Lock the scale up 6 days a week, and only weigh yourself at 10am.
    8. You will love everything about working out, except the actual process of working out.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Even though you have lost lets say 30 pounds and you still can do a dress size down :( lol booo i know is seems impossible but their is dark magic in this world lol
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That consistency is much more important than the few slip ups here and there. Think BIG PICTURE.

That you are probably eating a lot more calories than you think you are. Every calorie counts.

That you'll have good days and awful days, but all days count.

That workout/eating better/drinking water are amazing antidotes for depression.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    That as you near your goal and begin to contemplate maintenance, it's harder to fight complacency than it was to take the weight off.
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    following for those days I need it!
  • Heatherybit
    Heatherybit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Leg lifts...or really any exercises on the floor will hurt your tail bone, even with yoga mats.
  • Fit2BeFly
    Fit2BeFly Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.

^^This^^
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One thing I haven't seen yet:

When people have figured out you're losing weight, they'll compliment you all the time - even when you've put back on nearly 15 lbs and haven't been able to get your *kitten* together food and workout wise due to injuries and depression for like, a year.

Really? I've GAINED fifteen pounds people.And it is NOT muscle. And my measurements have NOT changed one inch. ***I AM NOT GETTING SMALLER, I AM GETTING BIGGER AND STOP RUBBING MY NOSE IN IT!!!!*** Well meaning compliments just depress the heck out of me these days. :(

It's also really hard to get back on the horse when you've screwed it up. I tried eating TDEE / EL2WM and that's how I packed it all back on, but my body doesn't really want to go back to 1600 calories a day. *grumble grumble*

Although telling my coworkers I'm trying to eat gluten free because of my osteoarthritis inflammation in my leg has stopped the guilt trips and harassment about not eating brownies, donuts, cookies etc. :)

-Betty-
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Before I even started, for some reason it used to matter so much to me that someone else believe in me.

People told me they had accepted I would always be that size, and still even now they do not believe I can achieve the things my heart is set on. It hurt for some reason, because I felt like I needed that, and I felt really sad if no one in the world did. It would make me give up believing in myself.

I have realised something. It really doesn't and shouldn't even matter if not a soul believes in you.

Sometimes in life you will be the only one on your team. Do not be afraid of it, but embrace it. Nothing anyone says or does should stop you from believing in yourself. Do not let it. Fight for yourself. Because at the end of the day, this is not for them, it's for you. I remind myself of this when I workout and face tough hills, and I try to mentally acknowledge little achievements that make me proud of myself fairly often-It keeps me thinking positive even when there's a less than ideal logging day :)

My mental strength is increasing over time just as my physical strength is. I figured it would improve my mood and self confidence (getting there slowly), but I never even thought about the whole mental strength and resilience factor.
    So far I have lost more than I ever managed to before. But even though I am not 100% there, and it's one day at a time, I feel like making a choice to just stop and remind myself to have a little self belief despite other people, has really helped me put one foot in front of the other and keep going.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    I have realised something. It really doesn't and shouldn't even matter if not a soul believes in you.

Sometimes in life you will be the only one on your team. Do not be afraid of it, but embrace it. Nothing anyone says or does should stop you from believing in yourself. Do not let it. Fight for yourself. Because at the end of the day, this is not for them, it's for you.

This is really big. Great wisdom :flowerforyou:
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    That keeping the weight off is far harder than losing it.