Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm still here!
    I've been reading all of the posts and I have come to one conclusion... You all are passionate, and that's never a bad thing!

I will say that today I woke up feeling less icky. Hopefully that has to do with the way I have been eating the past couple days. Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe its mind over matter. Maybe it's just me trying to be hopeful. But either way, thats going to be my reward for today and keep me on track for the day.

Whether you agree with this "clean eating" topic or not, I appreciate all of your comments and all the entertaining debate. It's pretty cool to know that you can just put up a quick post here, and get a vast amount of information and opinions.

We should ALL at least agree on that, right?

I agree with you :). Don't worry, the forums can get pretty crazy here, it's full of a lot of very passionate people, all who think they are right. And because different things work for different people everyone has 'evidence' to back it up. You are obviously sticking to this route and thats not a bad thing. Give it a go, if it doesn't work, try something else. The forums will always be here.

But want some serious advice, NEVER mention DrOz.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP a week ago, but I like to think I already know quite a bit from previous searching.

Clean eating, to me, is eating throughout the course of the day and hitting your macros. I might eat a chocolate bar, but I'm making healthier choices throughout the day so when I look at my macros, I am in fact eating "clean", and not just bulking up on ****.

If I was on the other hand to only eat chocolate bars all day long, I would be eating "dirty", because there's no way I would get enough protein, I would consume way too much sugar etc..

So to me, you can't hit your macros eating only junk. You can't hit them just eating wholegrain rice all day long either. Therefore if you hit them, I would consider that to be "clean".

This is a great example of why the term "clean eating" get so much heat in these forums. And BTW, I am not singling you out or directly this reply to you.. :flowerforyou:

You say "clean eating" is eating to hit your macros but allowing a junk food treat.

The next person will say you are not "clean eating" if you are eating a chocolate bar because chocolate is processed and has added sugar. Someone else will say that it's ok if the chocolate is 70%+ cocoa because it has less sugar.

"Clean eating" can mean that you eat no dairy, or that your dairy is organic/grass-fed ONLY, or that your dairy is full-fat but no low-fat/fat-free with added sugar. "Clean eating" can mean that white flour is bad but wheat flour is ok, or that all flour is off limits. "Clean eating" can mean you always eat clean or you sometimes eat clean or you think about eating clean.

The term is so vague it has no meaning. THAT is the point that brings out the snark. THAT is the thing that lemurcat12 is trying to figure out. What does clean eating mean? I mostly eat whole foods and cook from scratch, but I eat processed foods and white flours sometimes. So am I clean eater or not? Some would say yes because 80/20, others would say no and I'm going to get cancer from teh chemicalz, and some would call me a hangry hater for daring to question it.

I dare say that most of us eat the same way: nutritious foods that help us reach our calorie goals with some treats thrown in. The difference seems to be (from seeing posts in the main forum here and in the clean eating group) that the moderation folks eat whatever treat they want, and the clean eaters either have to debate the ingredients or apologize for eating a bad, bad thing.
  • czabby2014
    czabby2014 Posts: 3
    Options
    ha ha, me too!
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    I am actually quite surprised by the negative in this post. I heard great things about this forum, and was anticipating supportive comments from people trying for essentially the same thing. C'mon everyone, I was all hyped up!

I completely agree with you. I was so surprised to read some of the forums here only to see that people argue a lot!!!
    Where there is supposed to be support there is name calling and blaming! it almost seems like trolls are allowed here. I have been looking for another site. I use the calorie counter/ tracker and occasionally look for a happy thread like I was doing today. No luck so far. Good luck on your journey. Remember whatever you do you're doing the right thing for you! Peace!
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

IMO, a rigid focus on calorie counting can also lead to an eating disorder but you don't see many here bringing that up only that clean eating will lead to ON. I would hazard a guess that there are a high number of members on MFP and similar sites abusing the calorie tracking tool to support an ED.

Yes it can and I am sure you are right. Not sure what that has to do with the current conversation, or how it conflicts anything I have said.

I think they are just pointing out that clean eating is no more likely to lead to an ED than calorie counting - except that does not get mentioned, so they are maybe just balancing out the statement.

Totally agree with you on this. Disordered eating/ED can spring up no matter what style of diet the person is following.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Everyone should strive to eat for better health,not be ridiculed for trying.

Who are you saying is unconcerned with health? My impression is that the average "eat in moderation" person around here simply thinks it's not unhealthy to have treats in moderation and that it instead might be unhealthy to think of food as good and bad and that eating even a bit of an "unclean" food is a failure or something to feel disgusted by or ashamed of. IMO, that is a concern, although not one that all so called "clean eaters" will suffer from.

What I've been objecting to is, in fact, the assertion that self-proclaimed "clean eaters" are the only ones concerned with health, so if you don't buy into their rules (inconsistent as they may be) you are likely to be surviving on 1200 calories of twinkies and Coke (or maybe it's Lunchables and Coke! or even homemade pie and Coke), which I seriously doubt is all that common. (I note that many of the responses have proven me right, as not being a "clean eater" is again and again equated with being unhealthy.)

Oh, and no one has ridiculed anyone here for striving to be in better health. The OP has not been ridiculed at all.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    It's your diet so it's your rules. You class it as clean - then it's clean.

Sweet, everyone is a clean eater then. Now we can all stop arguing.

As John McCain once said, "today, we are all clean eaters."

If everyone is a clean eater, it doesn't explain all the comments about how eating "clean" is healthy and the rest of us are nutrition-avoidant slobs, but I'm cool with that, I guess. There are probably other, more interesting things to discuss.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I have found plenty of supportive friends here. Mostly from the forums.

Not one person in this thread has acted like there is no difference between "processed garbage" and whole foods. Not sure why the proponents of clean eating always bring up that fallacy.

You can 100% eat some "processed garbage" (or as I call it - food) and be 100% healthy.

We are clearly reading different threads then.

Sorry,I don't agree with your last sentence.If you are eating foods filled with man made chemicals,added sugars,sodium etc.. you are not going to be very healthy for very long.

Frozen vegetables are processed. A lot of processing is satisfying demand for (1) convenience, and (2) foods that otherwise would be unavailable in a particular area at a particular time.

I will say that I myself, for a variety of personal reasons tend to fetishize and prefer the fresh options (I get my meat and a lot of my fruits and veggies from local farms, I know the farm my milk comes from (I'm not consistent with cottage cheese and yogurt, though), I garden and like to try to make stuff like nut butters and mayo from scratch, I prefer eating foods in season, so on.) But one has to be honest about one's own foibles, and it's just false to claim that's more healthy or natural or better in any way to do these kinds of things vs. eating what for many people is a more convenient and--importantly--less expensive way. It's a way of making eating healthy appealing and fun for a lot of people, often people who are quite privileged to be able to do this, but it doesn't make the alternatives unclean or disgusting or--especially--unhealthy or only for those who are not nutrition conscious.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of clean eating. For example, if an apple falls on the floor, I will pick it up, and clean it before eating.

+1
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I suppose that if anything bothers me...it is judgments such as you have made...assuming that we are hangry, offended and stuffing our bodies with only foods that have had numerous additives added and we are doing it 24 hours a day.

I truly hope that accomplish what you desire from your food choices. Let me assure you though that your choices do not make me feel guilty about mine. I made my choices based on what I want to accomplish.

+1

It was precisely those kind of comments that crystalized my views on this clean eating debate and led me to first weigh in. It seemed so obviously false when mostly the clean eaters and non clean eaters in the debate (I was a mere bystander) seemed to eat pretty similarly, but the moderation people celebrated or at least were cool with their occasional treats, whereas the clean eaters saw them as cheats or deviations or the failures that we all occasionally have. None of those are super damaging ideas--not like actually feeling guilt or shame over eating an occasional cookie, although it does seem to play into such a pattern--but it caused me to wonder what actual health reason existed for the eliminate entirely goal, and I couldn't come up with one.
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of clean eating. For example, if an apple falls on the floor, I will pick it up, and clean it before eating.

OMG, LOL.

I use the 3 second rule myself. If it is on floor less 3 seconds or less, it's officially clean.

For times it sits there longer than 3 seconds, I kiss it up to (insert your holy person here or just air if you do not have a holy person) and that instantly makes it clean.
  • skinnymebopeep
    Options
    Hey there, I look for the same thing as you! Clean eating!
    My tips, I have a few.
    Breakfast, eggs definitely a winner they keep you ruler for longer and protein burns more calories digesting it due to thermogenic properties. Of course add in lots of veggies too!
    Omelettes are my saviour, that and stirfries with smoked haddock, chicken, prawns, seafood, quorn. Portion control is important.
    Soup is a great filler, and it is said eatiimg a low fat dairy product with a meal absorbs the fat of ameal and you errm poop it out to be polite.
    Water. Yes, I add sugar free cordial to mine. Make up a two litre bottle and drink from it through the day.
    Egg whites are great!
    Iron filled veggies great for energy! So through them into you diet too!
    Its shown a cup of coffee in the morning helps get the metabolism going too!
    Carbohydrate wise, stick to starchy veggies and beand beans, kidney beans great for a chilli, don't forget chickpeas and lentils and pulses and nuts. Porridge is great, maybe a scoop of protein powder too, oh and a table spoon of mixed nuts and dried fruit or fresh berries for healthy fat.s dried fruit is full of iron too! And keeps you regular ;-)
    Carbs if you are going for pastas and breads stick to whole grain and wholemeal personally my favourite carbs are porridge, banana and starvy veggies and beans and sweet corn.
    Avocado is amazing, and a healthy fat. Never eat to little fat even on a diet we need fat to function!
    I hope this ramble helps. I have recipes too if your interested. I'm bonnie and I wish you good luck on your weight loss endeavours!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've just realised that whenever I need to lose a bit of weight, my diet goes from eating what most would call 'clean' foods, to eating what most would call 'dirty' foods.

At the moment I relay on processed foods such as protein bars and drinks to lose weight, hit my macros, and not feel hungry. It works a treat! The advocates of 'clean eating' would frown at my diet packed full of processed foods and sugar and fat, yet along with my exercise and lifting program, I'm completely on course to continue my lb a week weight loss and still get enough nutrients to maintain a healthy body and retain my muscle

Just goes to show that we all have our own way of doing things I guess
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I look for the same thing as you! Clean eating!
    My tips, I have a few.
    Breakfast, eggs definitely a winner they keep you ruler for longer and protein burns more calories digesting it due to thermogenic properties. Of course add in lots of veggies too!
    Omelettes are my saviour, that and stirfries with smoked haddock, chicken, prawns, seafood, quorn. Portion control is important.
    Soup is a great filler, and it is said eatiimg a low fat dairy product with a meal absorbs the fat of ameal and you errm poop it out to be polite.
    Water. Yes, I add sugar free cordial to mine. Make up a two litre bottle and drink from it through the day.
    Egg whites are great!
    Iron filled veggies great for energy! So through them into you diet too!
    Its shown a cup of coffee in the morning helps get the metabolism going too!
    Carbohydrate wise, stick to starchy veggies and beand beans, kidney beans great for a chilli, don't forget chickpeas and lentils and pulses and nuts. Porridge is great, maybe a scoop of protein powder too, oh and a table spoon of mixed nuts and dried fruit or fresh berries for healthy fat.s dried fruit is full of iron too! And keeps you regular ;-)
    Carbs if you are going for pastas and breads stick to whole grain and wholemeal personally my favourite carbs are porridge, banana and starvy veggies and beans and sweet corn.
    Avocado is amazing, and a healthy fat. Never eat to little fat even on a diet we need fat to function!
    I hope this ramble helps. I have recipes too if your interested. I'm bonnie and I wish you good luck on your weight loss endeavours!

Holy crap, there is a lot of wrong stuff in this post. And forgive me, but what you are describing hardly sounds like what a clean eater would call clean.
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!

What a fight about semantics! Some people like labels and some don't. Amazing how the words "Clean Eating" can ignite a war!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,084 Member
    Options
    I am actually quite surprised by the negative in this post. I heard great things about this forum, and was anticipating supportive comments from people trying for essentially the same thing. C'mon everyone, I was all hyped up!

I completely agree with you..........Good luck on your journey. Remember whatever you do you're doing the right thing for you! Peace!

This sort of comment concerns me.

Whatever you( general you, not OP or anyone in particular) is doing is not neccesarily right for them.

There must be somewhere where we draw the line : if someone posts saying I'm starting 500 calorie a day diet or I'm spending $100 a week on gimmicky supplement - do we just say whatever you are doing is right for you????? :indifferent:
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    there are tunes of extremely rude people on this site! I support whatever your diet is and I love clean eating. I agree you should still watch calories but you feel a lot better without all the processed crap!

Add me if you like :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I completely agree with you..........Good luck on your journey. Remember whatever you do you're doing the right thing for you! Peace!

This sort of comment concerns me.

Whatever you( general you, not OP or anyone in particular) is doing is not neccesarily right for them.

There must be somewhere where we draw the line : if someone posts saying I'm starting 500 calorie a day diet or I'm spending $100 a week on gimmicky supplement - do we just say whatever you are doing is right for you????? :indifferent:

Maybe the line should be if the OP is eating a diet which is going to damage their health.

I'm not sure cutting out processed food and eating healthier options where possible counts as a non healthy diet.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Quite the storm you've created OP!

Personally I'm all for clean eating, I often eat chocolate while I'm vaccuming.