Deleting YourFitnessPals

Options
Tammer81
Tammer81 Posts: 38 Member
Have you ever deleted one or more of YourFitnessPals, and, excepting cases of harassment and/or credible threats to physical safety, why? I find myself rather charmingly befuddled by my unusually high FitnessPal attrition rate as an otherwise well-mannered, respectful and moderately active member (159 days) though never to the point of flooding others' feeds… in one richly ironic instance a member who took to this very forum seeking accountabilibuddies who *wouldn't* delete her nonetheless did the very same to me in less than a fortnight!

The most common justification I've come across is an extended period of inactivity on the part of the deleted: if that is indeed the case;

(1) An inactive FitnessPal, by definition, would not be clogging your feed or otherwise hindering your MFP experience… "What difference — at this point — does it make?";

(2) Is not MyFitnessPal's very raison d'être that of mutual accountability? Rather than delete, would not a polite nudge in the form of a message or wall post be more appropriate and consistent with the spirit of MFP? My experience has been that MyFitnessPals who've returned following an extended absence usually have compelling reasons for their inactivity, to say nothing of genuine contrition for their absence.

PS Please feel free to add me as your accountabilibuddy: No explanation needed, I've never deleted anyone, nor have I the intention absent the aforementioned exceptions.

Replies

• jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I do delete others. But, if I see my friends have not been around in a week I send them a message (there are a couple i know that due to work they are just gone for long stretches) but others, I check on after a week - personal message. If I get to a month and no repsonses, then I post on the wall and after a couple months of no response/activity I do delete them. The point is accountability. But if you are not active and not responding, then there is no accountability.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the jargon to understand the question. Delete.

FWIW, I delete based upon the individual person, our interactions, and if my hormonal swings line up with the full moon. So, basically anything goes.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

FWIW, I delete based upon the individual person, our interactions, and if my hormonal swings line up with the full moon. So, basically anything goes.

Your ticker is ******* awesome
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Too many words i don't understand in this post.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    If I don't click with someone, I will delete them. I like having people I know I will interact with, not a huge list where you don't notice that you haven't talked to someone in a month.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I deleted someone just yesterday. I can not support someone who refuses to eat and take care of themselves. I was shocked to see this individual get so many "likes for eating @ 600 calories. I asked her a few days ago if she was logging correctly and warned her that I could not support her if she refused to eat. Many others did too and as of yesterday there was no response so I used the delete option.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I delete them if there's a month or more of no activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've never deleted anybody yet! I log everyday and am pretty motivated but I don't have any problem if someone has not logged in for a long time, I feel "oh thats a shame" sometimes when I notice peoples last login time was a while ago, but then just because they don't log in doesn't mean they aren't still going to come back, it doesn't mean they aren't working on their goals outside of mfp.
    I know some people who have admitted they just lost their motivation for it for a while. But I can understand that and I hope that one day if they get their stuff going on sorted or motivation back that they can come back and give it their best. I'm happy to still be there when they do.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yup 14 days of not logging...unless you have put on your profile you are away...

If your profile is hidden your gone....

If I see what I call drama

sometimes people with closed diaries...but those I have other reason's to delete that just puts the icing on the cake.

I don't have a lot of time or energy to waste on people who aren't serious...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I delete if:

1) Excessive days of not even bothering to log into MFP. (Usually it's people I don't know very well, so it doesn't bother me to lose them.)

2) If you cause a lot of drama.

3) If there are too many provocative pictures/statuses.

4) If all your statuses are fishing for compliments. (See number 2.)

5) You play way too much TMI Tuesday or other such games that clog my news feed.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I delete people all the time. If they under eat, pop diet pills, constantly complain about not losing weight but aren't willing to put in the work, and sometimes just because our personalities don't mesh well. So yes, I delete people all the time.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I delete people from my friends' list who don't log in for 14 days or more.

I've had to delete 2 for other reasons; one decided the anonymity of the internet meant he could say whatever he wanted about anyone, the other posted non-stop, all day long. My newsfeed filled up with stories about her favorite anime characters.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a small, but growing friends list on MFP. I've not deleted anyone, and see no reason to do so at this time. Inactivity in itself is not a sufficient reason for me. The least active friend on my list right now is my sister. I'm not deleting her. I know she is busy with other things. We talk often enough otherwise. I was inactive for a long time when she was active, but I have told her that I've started participating again in case she wants to team up for support and accountability.

The only reason I would delete someone is if we didn't click for whatever reason. It's the same as choosing not to hang around with someone in real life.

On Facebook, I usually just delete deactivated accounts since it no longer shows whose account it was. The only other circumstance under which I will delete someone on Facebook is for extremely whiney or inflammatory posts. I'm good at overlooking and ignoring a lot of annoyance before I make that decision.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

Your ticker is ******* awesome

This. To the jargon, random deletes, and the awesome ticker.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I only delete people if they are actively promoting bad diet advice to others on my news feed, like people who are "pro ED" or following a very strict diet with no evidence to back it up. As for people that are inactive, I don't delete. Everybody has to complete this journey in their own time - for some it's only a few months, for others it might take years. Who am I to judge? I only hope that when they do return, they see I'm still here supporting them :)
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yup 14 days of not logging...unless you have put on your profile you are away...

If your profile is hidden your gone....

If I see what I call drama

sometimes people with closed diaries...but those I have other reason's to delete that just puts the icing on the cake.

I don't have a lot of time or energy to waste on people who aren't serious...

All of the above plus:
    - if you under-eat and are proud of it
    - if you make ignorant and/or uneducated posts or comments in the forums and you refuse to become "educated"
    - if you log bogus activities such as light cleaning, grocery shopping, doing laundry
    - if you are of the strong opinion that there is only one way to go about this lifestyle change and that's your way

Delete, Delete, Delete
  • Blackdinomite
    Blackdinomite Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I haven't deleted anyone but I've been deleted. Who really cares honestly. If you feel the need to delete people for whatever reason I guess it's your business. It's not that serious to me. As long as I long in and show support for other friends anything done by others is inconsequential.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    i delete when i feel like it. it is what it is.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's easier to just delete yourself.