Why don't more men wear tight shorts to the gym?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but tight, stretchy clothing is worn by men in other sports:
    * wrestling
    * bicycling
    * football - sure, there's pads, cups, etc. but at the end of it all, the pants are tight & stretchy.
    among other things.

Men DO wear stretchy pants. Just not too many in the gym.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but tight, stretchy clothing is worn by men in other sports:
    * wrestling
    * bicycling
    * football - sure, there's pads, cups, etc. but at the end of it all, the pants are tight & stretchy.
    among other things.

And dancing, gymnastics.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    * wrestling
    * bicycling
    among other things.

in wrestling and football its because it is a contact sport and you do not want to give anyone anything to grab onto. Bicycling...well....maybe aerodynamics might be their excuse.
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Don't think anyone at the gym would want to see me in tight shorts. :noway:

For now, baggy is a good thing.

Kinda like seeing people at the beach wearing teeny weeny swimsuits when they really shouldn't.

Just because they make them my size, or they stretch to my size, doesn't mean I should wear them. :happy:
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I wear what's most comfortable which for me is regular shorts or long sweats if it's winter. I think tight shorts on a guy looks bad too. Only time I wear something super tight light that is a singlet during a powerlifting meet and I only do that a couple of times a year.
  • Kristina2k
    Kristina2k Posts: 14
    Options
    I will wear whatever spandex anyone buys me. Thanks :)

Off to Amazon.com. Expect a shipment in 2-3 business days.

I was thinking the same thing! :-) LOL.

At my last gym, there was a gentleman (aka in my head - " the neanderthal") that wore a loin cloth made of two washcloths & some rope. He lifted early in the morning and finally one of the Managers had to ask him to wear less revealing clothing. He might as well been lifting naked.

Was this the type of loose clothes you were suggesting?
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I don't wear tight shorts to the gym because I need blood to flow to my brain still...that tight stuff is restrictive.
  • SteveyBrule
    SteveyBrule Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been living my life according to the rule "Sky's out thighs out". Most of my gym shorts are 6" inseam or less, per the aforementioned motto.

Any guy who says that tight shorts hurt your junk is lying to impress you. Compression shorts are a necessity for physical activity.
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been living my life according to the rule "Sky's out thighs out". Most of my gym shorts are 6" inseam or less, per the aforementioned motto.

Any guy who says that tight shorts hurt your junk is lying to impress you. Compression shorts are a necessity for physical activity.

They hurt my junk. Not lying. Not trying to impress. Happily married.

They are uncomfortable and don't seem to fit right. It's probably more related to me being a fatty than anything else. But they do hurt my junk.

Compression shorts are not required for anything.
  • fitnessbabe90
    Options
    There balls will be cutting off in circulation thus makes them inadequate of fulfilling there manly duty. :smile:
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I'm totally like wearing "Ranger Panties" for my legs days now. I got see that cut.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

At my last gym, there was a gentleman (aka in my head - " the neanderthal") that wore a loin cloth made of two washcloths & some rope. He lifted early in the morning and finally one of the Managers had to ask him to wear less revealing clothing. He might as well been lifting naked.

brain_bleach2_4427.jpg
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If more men wore tighter clothes, then maybe they'd understand the feeling that someone is stripping you naked in public with their eyes.
    If more women "kept the mystery", then maybe they would be less aware of leering eyes.

I disagree. I'm the type of person who has worn a large range of clothes. While I notice an upswing in commentary when I'm wearing something provocative, there is nothing that I can wear that makes me less aware of people being nasty.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    As the guys that started the other thread.... Im a basketball and T shirt kinda guy. I have a ways to go before I would feel comfortable in anything skin tight.

On a side note: I saw a few posters from yesterday that were getting on the tread and other posters about enabling "rape culture". I DO NOT want to start this arguement again but I saw a response or two that seemed rather hipocritical to me.

I too find it interesting in general...
    Some of the things I'm seeing (between this thread, the other, and comments on my wall in response):

- some men say they wear loose shorts to "keep the mystery"
    - more than one has been said that it's "gross" or they don't want to "offend"
    - some women have said.. go ahead and wear them, but if you do, I'm going to look.
    - some men wear them but at times have felt judged as not manly, have felt like people were staring, or have been generally uncomfortable. They wear them anyways because it was appropriate for the sport
    - some men wear what they wear (tight or not) because they simply want to, and don't care what others think.

If more men wore tighter clothes, then maybe they'd understand the feeling that someone is stripping you naked in public with their eyes.
    If more women "kept the mystery", then maybe they would be less aware of leering eyes.

ETA: I am not saying that men should wear tight shorts and women should wear baggy clothes!
    I believe that.. REGARDLESS OF GENDER...
    - you should be able to wear what you are going to wear, and not be judged for it.
    - when working out, fitted clothing does NOT represent a desire to be treated like a piece of meat
    - if women (on the whole) WANT to be treated with respect by men in the gym, then they need to TREAT men with the same respect if the tables are turned
    - both genders have beautiful bodies, and NONE of them should be considered "gross" or "disgusting" or "offensive"... if the bits are covered, then really, if you are offended by someone else's covered bits - it's YOUR problem, not theirs.

Well said!! I think you covered it all from both a male and female perspective.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Nice. A true Paleo dieter.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    I believe it's all on the person. For instance some men want to see their muscles when they workout. After each set they flex and pose in the mirror. I've seen people in compression shorts or short shorts but most are very advanced lifters and there is a purpose behind it. Seeing how to sculpt the three front muscles of the leg or the hamstrings.
    Personally, I prefer baggy sweatpants and a large shirt. I don't like looking vain in the gym and I never flex in front of the mirror. Also, I find form fitting clothes to be somewhat restricting on my movement. It keeps me focused on my form instead of what I look like in the gym. I benefit more out of my workouts. I look at my body when I get home and find areas I need to work on.
    Some people like to show off, others are humble. Everybody has their own preference. If they are in the gym more power to them.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I believe it's all on the person. For instance some men want to see their muscles when they workout. After each set they flex and pose in the mirror. I've seen people in compression shorts or short shorts but most are very advanced lifters and there is a purpose behind it. Seeing how to sculpt the three front muscles of the leg or the hamstrings.
    Personally, I prefer baggy sweatpants and a large shirt. I don't like looking vain in the gym and I never flex in front of the mirror. Also, I find form fitting clothes to be somewhat restricting on my movement. It keeps me focused on my form instead of what I look like in the gym. I benefit more out of my workouts. I look at my body when I get home and find areas I need to work on.
    Some people like to show off, others are humble. Everybody has their own preference. If they are in the gym more power to them.

I think this is true. My personal trainer is very aware of which muscles I'm engaging and releasing and when as she watches me do movements. I've become a lot more aware of how I can work more evenly by checking for muscle tension rather than by whether I "feel" even.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    * wrestling
    * bicycling
    among other things.

And dancing, gymnastics.

growing up riding horses- doign endurance racing- nothing but riding tights.. men and women- totally normal.

I even had to walk with my dad through the mall in his riding tights- I don't remember why we stopped- but I distinctly remember being embarrassed because it was abnormal. He didn't give a *kitten*.

Now I"m all grown up- and I don't care either.

Man or woman- I'm honestly confused why more men don't wear them- you see it with pro athlete's all the time. seems completely normal- a handful of guys at my gym wear compression/fitted gear- but it's rare that it's the lower half alone- only one or two.

There is one guy who wears ranger panties around- to me that's odd- but meh- whatever.
    I'm totally like wearing "Ranger Panties" for my legs days now. I got see that cut.

I have a pair somewhere- unfortunately they are men's and b/c my *kitten* is so big- it makes the front just look like epic moosenuckle ate my shorts- fitted- all the way= nothing lose at all or it winds up creating really unseamly lines.

I can't believe no one has mentioned that- few men have wide/round hips at all- they may have *kitten*- and it will cause similar lines- but it's rarely as bad as what happens with women. If I tried running in longer shorts- ALL inches of inseam would be up my thigh. seriously- chafing and uncomfortable. it's awful.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I did point out the shorts-eating quality of my thighs, but I think it was in the other thread.