Tips for a ROOKIE REGISTERED for a FULL MARATHON

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I started running I went wholehog not knowing anything and never asking for advice. I got a scortching case of planar faciatias. Everyone here is giving you quality advice because we've all made or at least seen the over enthusiastic mistakes beginning runners make and we're hoping to help you avoid the pain.

This is why I'm not overly concerned about this goal. These things tend to take care of themselves. Personally I think there's little to no chance of this working without an injury. Not in that time frame. tendons, joints, muscles, ligaments. They all need time and training to handle that much distance at once. What do I know? I only took 5 months off for an irritated achilles. Overtraining is a myth.

75% of runners, no matter how experienced or seasoned and regardless of the miles they run each week end up with some sort of soft-tissue injury that requires them to sit it out for at least three training runs sometime in a year. That's the solid reality that all runners live with and work around.

Being a newbie and ramping up distance quickly just loads that set of dice away from your favor.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Avoid grandiose announcements about your intentions to run a marathon. Naysayers can take a toll. I only told my girlfriend. Then when I finished it no one believed me but I had the pictures and medal to prove it. They were stunned.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I think, after reading most of this thread over many days, people are confusing the goal(to finish) with runners(those run from start to finish). The OP isn't training to run a marathon. She has clearly indicated she plans to walk/run to finish.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have not read what everyone has said before me. So if I repeat myself, I'm sorry. These are my tips from years of running.

1. New and good fitting sneakers- replace every 300 miles or so.
    2. Learn what you can put in your body nutrition wise. I have diarrhea at 18 miles no matter what.
    3. For every pound you lose, you will run about 1.5 to 2 seconds per mile faster. I know you don't care about pace, but this will also be less strain on your body.
    4. Get a plan. I can't tell you to start with the C25K or C to marathon. I'm not that good of a fitness guru.
    5. Buy a foam roller. It will be the best $30 you ever spend. I lost many a podium spots in tris because I couldn't push thru the end of my run because of a tight IT band.
    6. Try running with music and headphones vs no music. When it's hot out, I find the music to be a distraction and an irritation. When I'm cold, it keeps me pumped.
    7. Crosstrain- buy a bike, swim, walk, dance, run the fire escape, etc. Something, all, anything. Your muscles will appreciate it. And you will not be bored.
    8. Get outside to run when you can. Running on a treadmill is much different than outside running. You need to learn about wind, sun, etc.
    9. Find a hill and run it. Repeatedly. Careful with the downhill though, they can cause some injuries and soreness.
    10. Consider doing a shorter distance triathlon like a sprint. That will force you to crosstrain.
    11. Make sure you take care of your feet and toenails.
    12. There are people on here who will tell you to not do it. Maybe they are right, I don't know. I don't know your fitness levels, how much time you have, how dedicated you will be, where you live and what the weather will allow, etc.
    13. Be careful. And I don't just mean with injuries and stuff like that. I mean with cars, and strangers. I live in the inner city and don't run after dark. I also won't run with earphones if I find myself out alone in the park. Always carry a bottle of water in my opinion and a few dollars incase you need a taxi. Pay attention to the weather forecast if you go out for a long run and someone can't come get you in a bad storm, especially in a rural area. Always tell someone how long you'll be gone and where you're going or use a Live Tracking app and send to a friend or parent. At 29, my Mom Live Tracks every single run and bike ride I take. There are whackos out there. Your safety is your first priority.

Enjoy this journey. I hope you succeed. If nothing else, it'll be a learning experience for you. You will probably drop some more weight and your fitness will improve if you keep at it. Some days will suck like there is no tomorrow. Your next run could be amazing. Just keep at it. Even a bad run is better than no run.

Friend me if you'd like additional support.

Charlene
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Avoid grandiose announcements about your intentions to run a marathon. Naysayers can take a toll. I only told my girlfriend. Then when I finished it no one believed me but I had the pictures and medal to prove it. They were stunned.

hehe freakin awesome!!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I think, after reading most of this thread over many days, people are confusing the goal(to finish) with runners(those run from start to finish). The OP isn't training to run a marathon. She has clearly indicated she plans to walk/run to finish.

You are right!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I understood her goal was to finish, and assumed that meant walking may be included (although she did say "to finish" is her plan b). That doesn't change my answers. Her plan is still C25k, Bridge to 10k and onto a marathon training plan.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I understood her goal was to finish, and assumed that meant walking may be included (although she did say "to finish" is her plan b). That doesn't change my answers. Her plan is still C25k, Bridge to 10k and onto a marathon training plan.

hopefully she is reconsidering that

not the best idea

review and C2Marathon plan and you can see the sense of it

oh my I am getting caught up in this again...
    haha I have done multiple Ironman events, trained so many new runners I can't even count. At the YMCA we used to train groups for charity marathon events, and I will tell you..... this philosophy of doing well at a short distance gives you any chance at a longer distance is riddled with injury and drop outs

a marathon is much much further than 2 half marathons and a half marathon is much further than a couple 10K's
  • likitisplit
    Options

not the best idea

haha I have done multiple Ironman events, trained so many new runners I can't even count. At the YMCA we used to train groups for charity marathon events, and I will tell you..... this philosophy of doing well at a short distance gives you any chance at a longer distance is riddled with injury and drop outs

a marathon is much much further than 2 half marathons and a half marathon is much further than a couple 10K's

http://www.yourmarathontrainingplan.com/free-marathon-training-plan/couch-marathon/

This one?

It has you running for 36 minutes for your first run.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options

not the best idea

http://www.yourmarathontrainingplan.com/free-marathon-training-plan/couch-marathon/

This one?

That one is for "athletes." Here's a more realistic one... not sure if that is the one being assumed. https://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-marathon-training-plan/
  • likitisplit
    Options

not the best idea

This one?

That one is for "athletes." Here's a more realistic one... not sure if that is the one being assumed. https://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-marathon-training-plan/

The long run looks a little out of scale for the total weekly mileage.

ETA - the one I posted said "This 30-week training plan is intended for athletes who have no prior run training, but would like to complete a marathon."
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    When I started running I went wholehog not knowing anything and never asking for advice. I got a scortching case of planar faciatias. Everyone here is giving you quality advice because we've all made or at least seen the over enthusiastic mistakes beginning runners make and we're hoping to help you avoid the pain.

This is why I'm not overly concerned about this goal. These things tend to take care of themselves. Personally I think there's little to no chance of this working without an injury. Not in that time frame. tendons, joints, muscles, ligaments. They all need time and training to handle that much distance at once. What do I know? I only took 5 months off for an irritated achilles. Overtraining is a myth.

75% of runners, no matter how experienced or seasoned and regardless of the miles they run each week end up with some sort of soft-tissue injury that requires them to sit it out for at least three training runs sometime in a year. That's the solid reality that all runners live with and work around.

Being a newbie and ramping up distance quickly just loads that set of dice away from your favor.

Let's see here... in the past year...

Left AND right Achilles inflammation (physical therapy)
    Foot pain (doctor visit, bone scan)
    Ankle pain/inside shin pain (doctor visit, bone scan, prescrip NSAIDs)
    Blisters (live and learn)

I will say this though, OP, and I love your attitude. I think the seasoned runners here, myself included, are perhaps judging your decision based on our criteria of how a marathon is "ran." When I recommend doing a half instead, my frame of reference is that if I run a marathon, I'm going to run it and accept nothing short of a 4:00 for myself. For myself, I do not accept walking in a marathon as a success, but many others do, and that's 100% fine by me as well.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I will say this though, OP, and I love your attitude. I think the seasoned runners here, myself included, are perhaps judging your decision based on our criteria of how a marathon is "ran." When I recommend doing a half instead, my frame of reference is that if I run a marathon, I'm going to run it and accept nothing short of a 4:00 for myself. For myself, I do not accept walking in a marathon as a success, but many others do, and that's 100% fine by me as well.

I accept walking in a marathon as a success. I accepted walking in my half marathon as a success. If there is any intention of being a runner after this event, I think that a slower build would be helpful.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also thought of a few more:

1. Stick to your training plan, whichever one you choose to do. They understand training, tapering, rest, etc more than you, I, or 99.9% of the posters on here. Running a few races does not make someone a pro and what worked for them, may or may not work for you. I can only give you tips based on my own experience, mistakes, successes, and such.
    2. Some say you will gain weight. From what I understand, you still have weight to lose. I'm assuming you will drop as you will still want to maintain a small daily deficit. Don't get discouraged as you balance fueling your body with weight loss. It's a tough balance, but losing fat will help your body during your training and on race day.
    3. Buy a good running app. I use Runtastic Pro (don't have the Gold plan) because it allows me to dissect my running (or biking) afterwards. Also buy one of those arm bands to hold it. Mine holds a $20 bill and a CC as well.
    4. Wear an ID bracelet with emergency contact info when you run outside. Or at least carry your license (or a copy) with you. Tape a copy to your phone.
    5. This will be easier without excessive amounts of alcohol.
    6. I like running in circles more than an out and back run. I'd rather create a course using different roads and neighborhoods than run x distance or time out, turn around and run it back. Just a personal preference.
    7. A man I work with who coaches a high school cross country team taught me this drill for increasing speed as you progress. I like doing it weekly. I'd do this when you can comfortably jog an hour without stopping. Go to a track. Set your countdown time for 6:00. Sprint on the inside lane for 1 lap (1/4 mile). From that time left to 3:00, recover. Get a sip of water, walk, lightly job. At 3:00, repeat. Do that for 3 weeks. Then add another 3:00. Your times will improve and you should be able to get up to 8 repeats I understand this may be 6-8 months away, but that is how I do speed work 1x week.
    8. Explain why you plan on finishing the marathon and not "race" it. And I don't mean race to win, I mean race to get the best possible time. If not, you can walk 26.2 miles on your own. You will get to a point where you will want to "race" it.

Charlene
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options

Yeah I agree. I mean I think it would be unrealistic to say that im going to 100% run the marathon. I am sure I will stop at some point , or slow down as to "jog". I dont have a time in mind, I just want to not get picked up by the Losers van. lol..my success will come in the training. I have never run a mile in my whole life, even as a chubby little fat kid. So now even me running for a full 3 min yesterday was a win. My end goal is to cross that finish line, but also my success will come from the "running" leading up to it.

Thanks for the attitude praise. You runners are all a tough crowd. lol....luckily for me, I have tough skin being raised with 5 boys!

Also, thank you for your service Mr. Airman!
  • TAsunder
    Options

not the best idea

This one?

ETA - the one I posted said "This 30-week training plan is intended for athletes who have no prior run training, but would like to complete a marathon."

That is why I assumed they meant serious athletes and why it assumes a higher level of fitness than someone who would normally be starting at "couch."

I don't have enough experience to say whether the one I linked to is a good plan or not, but at least it seems to start at true "couch" status given all of the walk/run intervals prescribed.
  • likitisplit
    Options

not the best idea

This one?

That is why I assumed they meant serious athletes and why it assumes a higher level of fitness than someone who would normally be starting at "couch."

I don't have enough experience to say whether the one I linked to is a good plan or not, but at least it seems to start at true "couch" status given all of the walk/run intervals prescribed.

Gotcha.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    To be clear, my comments in this thread have been for the benefit of those reading more than for OP. OP has made up her mind. There is apparently no changing it one bit...and that doesn't bother me at all. I'm not trying to convince her that her approach is less than ideal. I'm trying to convince those who may be mislead into thinking that her approach is a good idea.

Training injuries suck and are unfortunately unavoidable. However, there are reasonable steps that can be taken to mitigate the likelihood and severity.

"Finish or bust"with a relatively short time frame starting with an untrained individual is a recipe for a bad time.
  • TAsunder
    Options

Yeah I agree. I mean I think it would be unrealistic to say that im going to 100% run the marathon. I am sure I will stop at some point , or slow down as to "jog". I dont have a time in mind, I just want to not get picked up by the Losers van. lol..my success will come in the training. I have never run a mile in my whole life, even as a chubby little fat kid. So now even me running for a full 3 min yesterday was a win. My end goal is to cross that finish line, but also my success will come from the "running" leading up to it.

Thanks for the attitude praise. You runners are all a tough crowd. lol....luckily for me, I have tough skin being raised with 5 boys!

Also, thank you for your service Mr. Airman!

I think you should plan to both train and actually run at specific run/walk intervals as you are building towards your goal. Perhaps I am projecting, because that's what I am doing for my first marathon training. I ran a 20 mile race in May and there's no way at all I could have done it without walk intervals, despite being perfectly capable of running for 10-13 miles (depending on the day and course) straight. The physical toll of marathon training is much, much higher than even half marathon training. And once you get past half marathon mileage, things can start to happen that are strange and scary. You can fake your way through a half marathon if you are reasonably fit. Faking your way through a marathon is extremely difficult.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I also thought of a few more:

1. Stick to your training plan, whichever one you choose to do. They understand training, tapering, rest, etc more than you, I, or 99.9% of the posters on here. Running a few races does not make someone a pro and what worked for them, may or may not work for you. I can only give you tips based on my own experience, mistakes, successes, and such.
    2. Some say you will gain weight. From what I understand, you still have weight to lose. I'm assuming you will drop as you will still want to maintain a small daily deficit. Don't get discouraged as you balance fueling your body with weight loss. It's a tough balance, but losing fat will help your body during your training and on race day.
    3. Buy a good running app. I use Runtastic Pro (don't have the Gold plan) because it allows me to dissect my running (or biking) afterwards. Also buy one of those arm bands to hold it. Mine holds a $20 bill and a CC as well.
    4. Wear an ID bracelet with emergency contact info when you run outside. Or at least carry your license (or a copy) with you. Tape a copy to your phone.
    5. This will be easier without excessive amounts of alcohol.
    6. I like running in circles more than an out and back run. I'd rather create a course using different roads and neighborhoods than run x distance or time out, turn around and run it back. Just a personal preference.
    7. A man I work with who coaches a high school cross country team taught me this drill for increasing speed as you progress. I like doing it weekly. I'd do this when you can comfortably jog an hour without stopping. Go to a track. Set your countdown time for 6:00. Sprint on the inside lane for 1 lap (1/4 mile). From that time left to 3:00, recover. Get a sip of water, walk, lightly job. At 3:00, repeat. Do that for 3 weeks. Then add another 3:00. Your times will improve and you should be able to get up to 8 repeats I understand this may be 6-8 months away, but that is how I do speed work 1x week.
    8. Explain why you plan on finishing the marathon and not "race" it. And I don't mean race to win, I mean race to get the best possible time. If not, you can walk 26.2 miles on your own. You will get to a point where you will want to "race" it.

Charlene

These are good ideas , some I never thought about. # 8. Well yes you are right, I dont want to walk the whole thing, otherwise I wouldnt be "training" . This is something of a challenge to myself. Being immobile last year to now being able to train for something, to have a goal, to be a part of something greater then me is my goal. I will do my best to finish the race running, and I will also do my best to finish it in the best time for myself. I have quite a few obstacles including 3 large hills in San Diego, BUT thats why a person trains. I cannot foresee everything bad that will happen (injuries etc.) but If I do go down, I wont go down without a fight. lol......

Thanks for the sprinting advice, this will def be useful.