Quality of food or quantity, which is more important to you?

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Quality of food very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 killer cancer which is fed by a high sugar diet
    #2 heart disease which is due to high sugar diet

Cancer is not fed by sugar. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/in-depth/cancer-causes/art-20044714

Heart disease is not caused by a high sugar diet, but too much sugar can increase mortality in people who suffer from heart disease (there is a difference). http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/eating-too-much-added-sugar-increases-the-risk-of-dying-with-heart-disease-201402067021

Please engage in intellectual honesty if you're going to make such claims.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    Food that comes in a bag or a box or a can - will and most always has some form of nutrition to it. Whether it's protien, fat, carb, fibre, sugar, sodium whatever, it's still a nutrient and can be used in a blanced healthy diet.
    No food is inherently bad, it can all be part of a nutritious diet.

Also, chemicals. Lots and lots of chemicals. And therein lies the problem.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm sufficiently obese that losing weight is much more important at the moment than eating healthy food.

*facepalm*

I'll be very sick but *#$&@ I'll be skinny! Yay!

Really?
  • ConnorS879
    ConnorS879 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you've never weighed your food, you've never counted your calories, its just guessing work
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Both.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    +1 to both!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'd say quality, but this is coming from someone who had this for lunch

PBcheesecakewithbrownie_zps2512883d.jpg

But normally I would honestly say quality

homer_drool.jpg?w=500&h=375
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    That being said, right now I could not imagine buying a kitchen scale and weighing all of my food. Buttttt... I may have a different answer in a couple months, so I'm keeping an open mind (:

A lot of people do just fine without using a scale...

Oh for sure. I think it depends on your goals. Using a scale would not benefit me, but I totally see how it could benefit others (:

Agree, I didn't use scale - not once during my weight loss process and I lost 18kg just fine. Now I'm maitaining at 50kg. - without scale...
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Quantity is usually wanted or needed when satiety isnt achieved. Unless you are a glutton, have the "munchies", just really cant get enough of your favorite food, or D.....All of the Above.

Generally speaking, the best tasting foods are made from the "finest" ingredients. <--- Take that with a grain of salt. Some people are perfectly happy and content with a Tater Tot Casserole, while others would prefer a dish with Foie Gras Ice Cream, Squid Ink Chocolate Sauce, and a Calamari Cookie.

38333331.jpg
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Keep denying the truth, the nay Sayers, will find out the hard way. Sugar is poison in excess!!!!!!!
  • 59gi
    Options
    If you are going to discuss this issue then, do your homework.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I can see from the information you provided you have done yours. :indifferent:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Both are important but if I had no choice but to choose one, I would say quantity, because too much of anything can be bad...
  • 59gi
    Options

Sources?

Sources? Didnt you see all the exclamation marks? That is all the information you need to know just how dangerous sugar is.

When you are high on sugar, denial is what keeps you from the truth. A high sugar diet causes Diabetes, Heart Disease, Cancer etc. etc. etc. Cancer is fed by sugar. Do your homework, my friend. Then if you are going to mock......it's your problem not mine.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Keep denying the truth, the nay Sayers, will find out the hard way. Sugar is poison in excess!!!!!!!

Define excess...
  • 59gi
    Options

LOLwhat?
    :huh:

Okay, I guess I'm in now...

...while enjoying some cheap pizza for dinner.

It is no laughing matter, high level of blood sugar is associated with many diseases
  • 59gi
    Options
    I ask because I see in a lot of diaries things like a breakfast of real junk food and at the end of the day the calorie intake is right but the food quality is soooo wrong. Not that I'm judging, to each his own and I've seen some great weight losses with this method.

Do you count every calorie and weigh you food? Do you plan out your meals the day before? I do count my calories but have never weighed my food, can't imagine it. Do you think it's important to do that and if so, why isn't counting calories enough? One thing I do religiously is plan my meals a day ahead. That way I'm not starring in the fridge or cupboard trying to figure out what to eat.

I will choose quality over quantity of food any day! While I was actively losing weight, I did count calories and weighed some but not all foods for a short period of time. I think weighing food was not important for me but for those not losing weight when they are logging at a deficit, then I think it is a useful tool. I honestly don't think counting calories is enough for several reasons but for many underestimating the calories consumed is a problem. I personally don't plan my meals ahead but I can see where it would work for some.

Quality of food is important to stay healthy. You are wise to choose quality.
  • 59gi
    Options

I can see from the information you provided you have done yours. :indifferent:

Yes I have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Also, chemicals. Lots and lots of chemicals. And therein lies the problem.

scurrd.gif

Oh no! Not chemicals!
  • pamelas9
    pamelas9 Posts: 29
    Options
    I am morbidly obese and quantity is the most important to me. I overeat (my portions were too large) and I had a binge about every 10 days (not tv worthy binging, but you know, a whole bag of candy type thing). Logging, even if I'm not weighing keeps me accountable.

I started just by cutting down the bad stuff. People who are much smaller than me still cringe at my diary. The thing is, after a week or so of the small portions of bad stuff you get hungry. REALLY hungry. Then you have to start the shifting. You have to add in veggies, you have to lower the carbs and dressings and sauces, because if you don't you feel like you are starving because there simply isn't enough nutrition in the bad stuff to keep you going.

I recently made enchiladas. As I entered all the various ingredients one really surprised me. One tortilla was 250 cal. If I hadn't been logging I would have never, ever guessed it to be so high. So next time I buy tortillas, I will be label reading. I'm sure there is a better brand or option, I just didn't know that was a problem ingredient.

Quantity first, but when you are really hungry you will either give up or make different choices.