Quality of food or quantity, which is more important to you?

18910111214»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I ask because I see in a lot of diaries things like a breakfast of real junk food and at the end of the day the calorie intake is right but the food quality is soooo wrong. Not that I'm judging, to each his own and I've seen some great weight losses with this method.

Do you count every calorie and weigh you food? Do you plan out your meals the day before? I do count my calories but have never weighed my food, can't imagine it. Do you think it's important to do that and if so, why isn't counting calories enough? One thing I do religiously is plan my meals a day ahead. That way I'm not starring in the fridge or cupboard trying to figure out what to eat.

Quality trumps Quantity in my household.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

Do you know how horribly that video got ripped apart? lol.

Welp, science won today, and here are the Cliffs of what transpired:

-- Quest Nutrition decided to do a video series with Jonathan Bailor, a program manager for Microsoft who recently authored a diet book.
    -- Bailor spewed a colorful bounty of nonsense involving "hormonal clogging" and claimed that quantity of calories doesn't matter, but quality does.
    -- The Quest audience has a high concentration of folks who value scientific evidence, and a resounding uproar ensued. No attempt was made by Bailor to defend his position when challenged by myself & many others on Quest's page.
    -- The vid contained absurd claims such as, "Those sugar calories cause a hormonal clog that makes it difficult for your body to burn fat, regardless of how little you eat or how much you exercise." This angered the crap out of people who are actually educated in nutritional science.
    -- Quest Nutrition saw the mounting dislikes & contempt for the video, and decided to take it down.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Quality is very important for me! And quantity! I like to get both at the same time
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

That was great. Aragon on Facebook always = LOLz
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

I am not saying this to be a jerk, but you post a lot of links so you clearly enjoy reading about nutrition...

Here are some recommendations of people to check out:

Weightology.com -> the paid version of this site is no longer active (so sad) but there is some great free info.
    Alan Aragon -> Find anything you can by him and read it.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Ultimately, I feel like I have more expertise in nutrition than my doctor, particularly my GP. if you google how many nutrition courses does a medical doctor need to become a doctor. You will find article upon article stating that they know very little about nutrition.
    I liken this to my veterinarian who prescribes Hills Science diet all day long because he receives compensation. It doesn't make him any less a great vet for my animals, but I do my own research on food for my dogs for this reason.

Now, if she said she was a nutritionist, then that would be a different story, I think.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Why is it so expensive for you??? I get this stuff at Costco.. The ground beef is even cheaper! And the fat free mil is 3.23 a gallon..

I live in Hawaii. 10lbs of chicken breast, even at costco, is gonna set me back a pretty penny. Protein powder, however, I can get on amazon for the same price it'd be on the mainland.

Just saying
    Same here, actually. Maybe it's the market here in Western Canada? Not sure.

I can't remember the cost for the 10lbs pack of chicken at Costco, but I know it's a boat load. And price per protein powder is waaaaaay less.
    Really? 10 pounds of chicken cost more then 50 dollars?? A tub of protein cost the same everywhere considering its baught online... Dont they have farms in Hawaii and western Canada? That kind of sucks lol...

East coast of Canada here and chicken costs over $60 for 10lbs unless I catch a sale. Eggs are about $3 a dozen.
    We also don't have a Costco.

Protein powder - much cheaper.
    BARF! I thought it was bad at $23 for 5lbs here! :grumble:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    This thread was a hilarious 11 page read!