Chivalry is dead?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    LOL. I knew this would turn into some huge deal.

It is not sexist for a guy to treat me like a lady because I am ....wait for it....a lady ...

(Ok, so maybe a lady with a sailor's mouth who can burp really loudly, but whatever.)

(And by a "treat me like a lady" I mean be a little more polite to me than if I was some dude.....don't scratch your balls in front of me and I won't burp really loudly in front of you).

ETA---my husband gets the burps. Sorry, honey.
    My college Gender Studies classes consistently held that treating you differently because of your gender is the very essence of sexism. Could you clarify why treating different sexes differently is not, in fact, sexism?

Yes, yes. Men and women are exactly the same, and should always be treated, and expected to perform, exactly the same. No biological differences at all, it's society man, society. No need to study actual people, instead we'll create an ideology and make the world fit it. Even when it doesn't.

You could treat people based on their needs rather than making assumptions about them based on gender.

So, he should take a survey before he opens the door for you?

You clearly live in the real world. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure she's printing survey forms.

Or he could just hold the door open for anyone of any gender coming in behind him and open the door for anyone of any gender who looks like they might need a hand - eg a person in a wheelchair or with their hands full or with a pram etc.

IME this works pretty well in the real world :smile:

Treating people based on their needs comes down to opening doors.

Yes I agree - but women don't need doors to be opened for them just because they are women.
    Open doors for anyone in need of help, regardless of gender.

I don't pretend to speak for all men, I'd be cautious about speaking for all women

I'm not getting how my post was purporting to be "speaking for all women" Where or how did I say such a thing?

My post was speaking to how I think - as shown by the words "I agree" - I guess I could put IMO after every sentence but that seems pedantic and silly.

Women don't need doors opened for them just because they are women ( some might like it, some might not, you might think it is a sign of respect etc - but they dont need it) - they are perfectly capable of opening doors themselves unless they have their hands full, have a pram, have a disability etc - the same as men.

I think courtesy is to hold a door open for the person coming in behind you or to help anyone of any gender who looks like they need help - a man rushing ahead of me (me as an able bodied female, with no hands full, no pram etc) to open a door because I am a woman - sorry I don't find that respectful, I find it silly.
    Sure, I would say Thank you and not something rude - because I am polite. But I would think it unneccesary and silly.

Whereas if somebody helped me get something down from a high shelf I would find that helpful because I am short - the taller person could be a man or a woman -the situation is based on a height difference not a gender difference.
  • MhariDubh
    MhariDubh Posts: 4
    Options
    My college Gender Studies classes consistently held that treating you differently because of your gender is the very essence of sexism. Could you clarify why treating different sexes differently is not, in fact, sexism?

Because the sexes are completely different AND equal in dignity. So it looks like you didn't really understand the actual definition of sexism. Sexism is NOT that the sexes are the same, the definition of sexism is: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

I hope that clears it up a bit for you, I know it confuses my 6th graders as well. I think it is a common misconception. But your gender studies professor should have been clearer.

Actually, it looks like you are unclear about what RllyGudTweetr said. My women's studies classes were the same as described. I'm clear about what sexism is - problem is angry women tend to call everything they find slightly offensive "SEXISM". As a teacher of grades 6,7, & 8 I find your comparison of what "confuses your 6th graders" to a person's college experience pretty rude.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    LOL. I knew this would turn into some huge deal.

It is not sexist for a guy to treat me like a lady because I am ....wait for it....a lady ...

(Ok, so maybe a lady with a sailor's mouth who can burp really loudly, but whatever.)

(And by a "treat me like a lady" I mean be a little more polite to me than if I was some dude.....don't scratch your balls in front of me and I won't burp really loudly in front of you).

ETA---my husband gets the burps. Sorry, honey.

Yes, yes. Men and women are exactly the same, and should always be treated, and expected to perform, exactly the same. No biological differences at all, it's society man, society. No need to study actual people, instead we'll create an ideology and make the world fit it. Even when it doesn't.

You could treat people based on their needs rather than making assumptions about them based on gender.

So, he should take a survey before he opens the door for you?

You clearly live in the real world. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure she's printing survey forms.

Or he could just hold the door open for anyone of any gender coming in behind him and open the door for anyone of any gender who looks like they might need a hand - eg a person in a wheelchair or with their hands full or with a pram etc.

IME this works pretty well in the real world :smile:

Treating people based on their needs comes down to opening doors.

Yes I agree - but women don't need doors to be opened for them just because they are women.
    Open doors for anyone in need of help, regardless of gender.

I don't pretend to speak for all men, I'd be cautious about speaking for all women

I'm not getting how my post was purporting to be "speaking for all women" Where or how did I say such a thing?

My post was speaking to how I think - as shown by the words "I agree" - I guess I could put IMO after every sentence but that seems pedantic and silly.

Women don't need doors opened for them just because they are women ( some might like it, some might not, you might think it is a sign of respect etc - but they dont need it) - they are perfectly capable of opening doors themselves unless they have their hands full, have a pram, have a disability etc - the same as men.

I think courtesy is to hold a door open for the person coming in behind you or to help anyone of any gender who looks like they need help - a man rushing ahead of me (me as an able bodied female, with no hands full, no pram etc) to open a door because I am a woman - sorry I don't find that respectful, I find it silly.
    Sure, I would say Thank you and not something rude - because I am polite. But I would think it unneccesary and silly.

Whereas if somebody helped me get something down from a high shelf I would find that helpful because I am short - the taller person could be a man or a woman -the situation is based on a height difference not a gender difference.

There you go again. I'm guessing the size of the woman and the weight of the door have some impact on this analysis. Some may, some prefer gentlemen, and I'll leave it to them to decide. If you dislike me because I show a certain courtesy when a lady is present, then that's okay. I'd rather that than be damned for ungentlemanly behavior in social situations. When the 3.5 billion women on this planet* get together and agree to change the social rules/guidelines then I'll adapt.

* of course if you treat a woman like a man in some cultures you'll find yourself in real trouble.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Of course the size of the woman and the weight of the door would come into it - same as the size (or age) and the weight of a man could - but that is a size/weight issue, not a gender issue.
    Like my example about reaching things from high shelves is a height issue, not a gender issue.

I didn't say or mean I would dislike you if you showed a "certain courtesy" - but I would find it silly and unneccesary, like I said - that is, if it was unneccesary - if I were small and elderly and frail and the door were heavy, then help might be necessary and that is fine - just as it would be fine if I were a young strong woman opening the door for an elderly frail man.
    ie the 'neccesary' part is based on physical need, not gender.

Yes of course in some cultures these things would be different - but I am assuming people are talking about the modern western cultures in which we live - or at least I am talking about the modern western culture in which I live.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Of course the size of the woman and the weight of the door would come into it - same as the size (or age) and the weight of a man could - but that is a size/weight issue, not a gender issue.
    Like my example about reaching things from high shelves is a height issue, not a gender issue.

I didn't say or mean I would dislike you if you showed a "certain courtesy" - but I would find it silly and unneccesary , like I said - that is, if it was unneccesary - if I were small and elderly and frail and the door were heavy, then help might be necessary and that is fine - just as it would be fine if I were a young strong woman opening the door for an elderly frail man.

Yes of course in some cultures these things would be different - but I am assuming people are talking about the modern western cultures in which we live - or at least I am talking about the modern western culture in which I live.

And even there, all women will not agree with you. You see as a man, I know I will interact with women of a variety of opinions on this subject and, as I stated above, I'd rather be thought silly by you then ungentlemanly by other women.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is my fav quality in a guy. I was brought up with manners and my parents were both big on having respect for people especially your elders. We were taught to say Mr or Mrs, never use a first name. I wish more parents taught it and more kids used it.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

Because the sexes are completely different AND equal in dignity. So it looks like you didn't really understand the actual definition of sexism. Sexism is NOT that the sexes are the same, the definition of sexism is: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

I hope that clears it up a bit for you, I know it confuses my 6th graders as well. I think it is a common misconception. But your gender studies professor should have been clearer.

Actually, it looks like you are unclear about what RllyGudTweetr said. My women's studies classes were the same as described. I'm clear about what sexism is - problem is angry women tend to call everything they find slightly offensive "SEXISM". As a teacher of grades 6,7, & 8 I find your comparison of what "confuses your 6th graders" to a person's college experience pretty rude.

Okay, let me try this again: Take out the statement " I know it confuses my 6th graders as well." I did not mean that the educational experience was the same in college as middle school, it was my mistake that I said it. I was just speaking about what I know. I am not a college professor - I teach 6th graders. I didn't mean any offense. I do think people in general should understand that the sexes are DIFFERENT and I think that is what "chivalry" in this sense is about. Did not mean to be rude, I am sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • paperpudding
    Options

I didn't say or mean I would dislike you if you showed a "certain courtesy" - but I would find it silly and unneccesary , like I said - that is, if it was unneccesary - if I were small and elderly and frail and the door were heavy, then help might be necessary and that is fine - just as it would be fine if I were a young strong woman opening the door for an elderly frail man.

And even there, all women will not agree with you. You see as a man, I know I will interact with women of a variety of opinions on this subject and, as I stated above, I'd rather be thought silly by you then ungentlemanly by other women.

Of course all women will not agree with me.
    I would never expect all the billions of women in the world to have uniform agreement about any topic.

However that doesn't change what I think about this topic - and I don't think my opinion is by any means unique on this.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is my fav quality in a guy. I was brought up with manners and my parents were both big on having respect for people especially your elders. We were taught to say Mr or Mrs, never use a first name. I wish more parents taught it and more kids used it.

I agree 100%! If only there were more parents who brought up their kids in a loving/respectful environment. -long daydream sigh-
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I would never expect all the billions of women in the world to have uniform agreement about any topic.

However that doesn't change what I think about this topic - and I don't think my opinion is by any means unique on this.

See. That wasn't so hard. Now, you're talking about your personal preferences. And, that's fine, I know there are a handful of women out there that at least voice the opinion that they want to be treated by men exactly as men treat men. All I can say, is that I have my doubts and I know, for me, I don't want women treating me exacty the way they treat other women. That said, if that's your preference then go with it. I'm not trying to change anyone else's behavior, I'm just navigating the world I live in. I'll leave it at that.
  • paperpudding
    Options

See. That wasn't so hard. Now, you're talking about your personal preferences. And, that's fine, I know there are a handful of women out there that at least voice the opinion that they want to be treated by men exactly as men treat men. All I can say, is that I have my doubts and I know, for me, I don't want women treating me exacty the way they treat other women. I'll leave it at that.

I was talking about my opinion/preferences all along. Of course it is only opinion and preferences, given this is about subjective expectations of courtesy, not objective scientific facts - not sure how you have read my posts otherwise.

and No, I did not say I think women, on the whole, or me individually, want to be treated exactly the same as men in all situations - not sure how you got that from what I wrote either.

What I did say, on the topic of opening doors, was that I think everybody should hold a door open for a person coming behind them and open doors for people of either gender who look like they may need a hand - ie they are elderly, frail, disabled, have a pram, their hands full etc. I think that is courteous and helpful.
    I don't find a man rushing ahead of me, as opposed to being there first and holding the door open as you would for anybody coming in behind you, (me, an able bodied woman without a pram, hands full etc) to open a door which is not heavy and which there is nothing to suggest I cannot open myself, as courteous or helpful.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

See. That wasn't so hard. Now, you're talking about your personal preferences. And, that's fine, I know there are a handful of women out there that at least voice the opinion that they want to be treated by men exactly as men treat men. All I can say, is that I have my doubts and I know, for me, I don't want women treating me exacty the way they treat other women. I'll leave it at that.

I was talking about my opinion/preferences all along. Of course it is only opinion and preferences, given this is about subjective expectations of courtesy, not objective scientific facts - not sure how you have read my posts otherwise.

and No, I did not say I think women, on the whole, or me individually, want to be treated exactly the same as men in all situations - not sure how you got that from what I wrote either.

What I did say, on the topic of opening doors, was that I think everybody should hold a door open for a person coming behind them and open doors for people of either gender who look like they may need a hand - ie they are elderly, frail, disabled, have a pram, their hands full etc. I think that is courteous and helpful.
    I don't find a man rushing ahead of me, as opposed to being there first and holding the door open as you would for anybody coming in behind you, (me, an able bodied woman without a pram, hands full etc) to open a door which is not heavy and which there is nothing to suggest I cannot open myself, as courteous or helpful.

round and round we go again. lol
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was going to add an update to this thread. My five year old son (without being prompted) opened and held the door open for an older man at Starbucks yesterday. I don't think that my husband or I have ever TOLD the kid to open doors for people...this is something he just picked up on from seeing us (and other people do it).

I read some of the previous posts...I think the "door holding" thing has a LOT to do with where you live. Where I live (it's a more rural suburb of DC...but there is also a rather large military base here), most men open doors for women in public (or at least hold them open), most women will wait/hold the door open for the people behind them.

People still wave to passing vehicles (with strangers) on some of the back roads. My husband always asks, "do you know that person?" when I wave back. No, that's just something us country-folk do.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Chivalry is not the same as having manners, being polite or having respect for others. That's what half of this thread is about.
  • airbearlover
    airbearlover Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Chivalry is not the same as having manners, being polite or having respect for others. That's what half of this thread is about.
    I think Chivalry is a dying art. And when mixed with rudness it stings. When I was at college I had doors shut in my face by guys alll the time. I was either too fat to deserve the door held open or they simply didn't care to realize their suroundings. Of course now that I've lost some weight the doors stay open. But it feels hollow and not like they are proforming Chivalry And on that note I will die alone or go join the Nuns. lol
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think Chivalry is a dying art. And when mixed with rudness it stings. When I was at college I had doors shut in my face by guys alll the time. I was either too fat to deserve the door held open or they simply didn't care to realize their suroundings. Of course now that I've lost some weight the doors stay open. But it feels hollow and not like they are proforming Chivalry And on that note I will die alone or go join the Nuns. lol

((((((hugs)))))) You were, and always are worthy of kindness and respect. Not to say that we don't always need some new awesome nuns! If I had a dollar for every time I went to a parish and heard, "What this parish needs is some nuns." I would be a billionaire.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    argues-with-a-feminist-lets-her-win-because-shes-a-girl.jpg

Nah, I'm just playin, but seriously....

a6aa8ceed4155ed60af8a3b260f182ef4550751c8153e6c5a3e15c5a146da3cb.jpg

Nah, just playin again, but seriously...

hey-girl-lets-talk-feminist-biblical-criticism-and-snuggle.jpg
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    We need to let it die. Chivalry is antithetical to equality.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    argues-with-a-feminist-lets-her-win-because-shes-a-girl.jpg

Nah, I'm just playin, but seriously....

a6aa8ceed4155ed60af8a3b260f182ef4550751c8153e6c5a3e15c5a146da3cb.jpg

Nah, just playin again, but seriously...

hey-girl-lets-talk-feminist-biblical-criticism-and-snuggle.jpg

*gigglesnort*

I blame my lawyer parents, I can't resist a good debate....
  • BTinLC
    BTinLC Posts: 30
    Options
    I think so. It seems that the younger generation has this huge sense of entitlement. Of course, I am generalizing here.