Pregnancy 2011 - January

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    what about Evan? it's close to Ethan, is it as popular? I almost named my son Evan. I didn't b/c it was too close to my dd's name, Emma.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

I cannot believe I had no idea those have been recalled. I have been using the same crib with all of my kids and it has the drop down side. My two year old is in it currently and I have never had a problem with the side coming down. Where have I been? Geez.

They also recalled a ton of strollers because if you leave your kid in it unstrapped and unattended there is the chance that they could slip out the leg holes and get stuck. Key words being - unstrapped and unattended...... maybe they should recall strollers in general because if you leave them unattended on a hill they might roll... oh wait, they probably did recall all the ones w/out wheel locks on them....

Ah that's great! You gave me a great morning laugh!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I have always used cloth. My preference is velcro covers, usually Bummis or Thirsties and prefolds or flats. I have had a few 9lb and 10lber and small fit for a long time. A few of mine needed preemie though. You just never know. I like Thirsties and Bummis b/c they have wide size range and fit well. The smalls fit 8-15lbs, medium 15-30 or so. I love prefolds, but flats dry very fast. I also use a few nylon pullons and snappis.

I would really like to sue cloth but I haven't researched or know very much about them. I need to start looking at that. Any opinions/advice are welcome!
    [/quote]

Ask me any questions you have.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Do your babes ever figure out how to undo the velcro ones? I read about that as well as people having a problem with them sticking together in the wash (probably a user error) which had me leaning toward the ones with snaps. Though it seems like babies could figure out how to undo the snaps almost just as easily. I hate having so many choices! :laugh:

Virtually all toddlers will figure out how to get out of their diaper and/or clothing! It will happen. I diaper pin the velcro tabs on my covers if they are a proven escape artist. Snaps are just as easy to remove. If you fold back the velcro tabs on the spots to hold them in the wash it isn't a big deal, but it isn't a big deal regardless of they get stuck together or not. I feel I get a better, more customized fit w/ velcro than snap covers.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    there have been times that I've wished my kids could have one, b/c it's always cute watching little babies motor around. but for safety's sake, I'm glad they aren't available anymore.

It is sad that the government has taken that choice away for the parents and they feel they need to protect us from ourselves. Honestly your children can get hurt using anything and accidents do happen. One of my favorite lines is from a country song: "don't outsmart your common sense."
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    Just had to throw this out there.

GO BEARS!!! I am not very confident today but I am hoping they pull off a big win! I have so many Chicago Bears shirts that I made sure I found one that still fits to root on my team! I was upset to see GB win last night because if the Bears move on that is who they will be playing next. Oh well, one week at a time. Fingers crossed that Cutler isn't interception happy today or wants to set a record at the number of times in a game he gets sacked. He is such a loose cannon. Can you tell I don't like him?

Time to get on the treadmill. I have really gained weight these past weeks. UGH!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Virtually all toddlers will figure out how to get out of their diaper and/or clothing! It will happen. I diaper pin the velcro tabs on my covers if they are a proven escape artist. Snaps are just as easy to remove. If you fold back the velcro tabs on the spots to hold them in the wash it isn't a big deal, but it isn't a big deal regardless of they get stuck together or not. I feel I get a better, more customized fit w/ velcro than snap covers.

Great points -- thanks! Now I have more choices again. :laugh:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I agree - babies will get out of their diapers if they want to! You have to plan their clothes around that if they are escapers, but even disposables are just basically velcro - and probably weaker velcro at that. I have considered cloth diapers a lot, my inner hippie feels awful using disposable, but I have been nervous about buying them so expensive then not liking them, and overwhelmed at the options and prices and how to and the thought of what it will do to my washing machine ;) I do know if I decided to go cloth I would get one of those bum rinsers that hooks into your toilet water flow to rinse them right into the toilet though.

Re names. My first is David. Still one of the top 100 names and has been forever. Probably will be forever. The irony is though, we have never yet come across another in his age group (or even below / over), though it is still a popular name. The trendy "different" names people go with - they end up with 2 or 3 of them in the class! I say if you like it go with it. There were 3 Melissa's and an Alyssa in my high school homeroom alone (meaning we were all Melissa L's or H's. It caused me no more or less problems than if my name were something weird. Actually, it's probably LESS problems than if it were something weird (like unspellable etc). Name it whatever you want and like. Who cares what other people call their kids - the same or different. Just don't name it Tangerine or something. I have a dog named Dogzilla, and had one named Chiez (cheese), so we tend to save the traditional names for the humans in the household! LOL.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have back aches with MS? Today I feel really bad but my back is also really really acheing. Is this normal?
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    I agree - babies will get out of their diapers if they want to! You have to plan their clothes around that if they are escapers, but even disposables are just basically velcro - and probably weaker velcro at that. I have considered cloth diapers a lot, my inner hippie feels awful using disposable, but I have been nervous about buying them so expensive then not liking them, and overwhelmed at the options and prices and how to and the thought of what it will do to my washing machine ;) I do know if I decided to go cloth I would get one of those bum rinsers that hooks into your toilet water flow to rinse them right into the toilet though.

I never rinse diapers, only dump solid if there is a solid piece. Otherwise it all goes into the pail and then run a rinse cycle before washing.
  • misskatieanne
    misskatieanne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have back aches with MS? Today I feel really bad but my back is also really really acheing. Is this normal?

Sorry you aren't feeling good :(
    Your backache could be for all sorts of reasons but keep an eye out for other symptoms as some of us are prone to UTI's in pregnancy & these can track up to the kidneys & cause back ache; am not trying to worry you it's just something to keep an eye out for as nausea & vomiting (or an increase in these symptoms) can also be a sign of this. Hope you feel better soon.
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options
    Mama (and others interested in cloth diapers).

I am so glad that this discussion came up today, as I was logging in to ask a few questions about cloth diapers to the veteran moms out there too!

So I plan to use cloth diapers, but how exactly do they work? I know they have inserts. Are these disposable? You have to buy a bunch? Or they just helo absorb the moisture and get washed with the diapers?

I was looking at a brand last night online called Happy Heineys :

http://www.bynature.ca/on-sale/happy-heinys-one-size-cloth-diapers.html

a one size fits all diaper. I thought the price was ok (CAD dollars).

But how many would I need? 12? 15? More? I assume I would have to do a wash load every single day of them.
  • joonzgurl
    Options

Sorry you aren't feeling good :(
    Your backache could be for all sorts of reasons but keep an eye out for other symptoms as some of us are prone to UTI's in pregnancy & these can track up to the kidneys & cause back ache; am not trying to worry you it's just something to keep an eye out for as nausea & vomiting (or an increase in these symptoms) can also be a sign of this. Hope you feel better soon.

When I first read your post about the back ache I thought right away about urinary tract infections too. When I was about 22 I had a UTI, however since I had never had one, I did not notice (guess I didn;t know what to expect) until it was too late and the infection had spread to my kidneys. It was so painful and I had a very high fever for days.

If you are not having any pain in urination I would not worry, however lower back pain I read has also been associated as a sign of misscarriage. I really dont want to freak you out though!!!! If you start having strong cramping then I might worry. But dont worry if you are not!

On another note, sometimes I wake up with a sore back if I lay down for too long, even though our bed is basically brand new and very expensive! (so i know its not just the bed). This did not happen to me before I was preggo. But I also gained quite a bit of weight before I got pregnant (in the 2 months prior) so it could be my weight too.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Weighed myself today and up 8lbs since the beginning of this pregnancy. But since 2 weeks ago I was the same, technically I have gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks. OMG!!!!!!!!

I overindulged on holidays with chips and ice cream, etc. I hope this is water weight and after a few days of eating better I am down a bit! Cause I know 8 lbs in the first trimester is wayyyy too much!

I am thinking about telling my work tomorrow- too early? I ordered some maternity clothes online that are being delivered to work, so I'm worried the box will give it away!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

A backache can be a sign of something or it just is. If you are not having other UTI symptoms, it probably just is. I have had one all week w/ some illness we all had, that included a backache. Unless other problems present themselves I always assume the least.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    Anyone interested in cloth diapering I found this great link: http://www.bynature.ca/cloth-diapering-101.html
  • dragonfly74
    Options

Could be from the fact that you are vomiting so much and using different muscles. Backaches are common even during early pregnancy.

Backache

Right from the word go, you may get backaches low down. This is caused by a hormone called relaxin, which loosens all your joints to allow a baby to pass through your pelvis. It can also make your feet grow up to a size too, and this is irreversible, but that's another story. The increased blood flow to the area may also contribute to the ache. Later on, the weight out front will pull on your lower spine, which also makes it ache. Rubbing it, a warm (not hot) bath and lots of tea and sympathy from your partner also help!

But definitely keep an eye on it and if your symptoms persist I would contact your doctor.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I have had UTI's before and I don't have any other symptoms of this.I also don't have any cramping or bleeding. I got sick (again) today and my back was hurting so bad while it was happening. I think its just as someone suggested, my muscles are hurting from straining to get sick.

I go to the dr. at 9:30 am tommorow so I will ask them about it.
  • Final7
    Final7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hey guys.

Did really poorly with the eating well over the weekend. Was supposed to go to the gym today at lunch but didn't bring my gear...I MUST go tomorrow :( not looking forward to it, I find treadmills soooooo boring...but I know once I see movement again on the scales I will get motivated.

As for morning sickness, mine lasted from 7 weeks to 17 weeks, it was ALL day sickness and did not return later in my pregnancy as it seem to do with a lot of people. I threw up once but I honestly think that was because I picked up a tummy bug. I detoxed 2 weeks before getting pregnant to get rid of refined sugar in my system and I honestly think this had a lot to do with why I didn't get really sick (vomit). I was also taking zofran occasionally when it got really bad and all I could think about was being sick...although sometimes I could sense I was going to have one of those days I would take it before I started feeling really sick because once the sick feeling starts its hard to stop it. I had icey poles first thing in the morning for breakfast (these saved my life) and dry biscuits. I ate light meals generally and drank watermelon and ginger juice at lunch time. I ALWAYS made sure I ate something just before I went to bed and this also saved me. Hope this helps.

Regarding movements, I felt ALOT of pressure down there VERY early on, like 5-7 weeks. I could feel the presents of the baby at around 8-10 weeks for sure...then at about 10 weeks I started feeling movement...or tingles. Just before we had our 12 week scan at about (11+4 weeks) I said to my partner that the baby was moving around like nothing else and if we could see it in the scan then I knew I could fell the baby. Sure enough the baby was jumping around. I had a posterior low placenta so it makes sense that I could feel the baby so early.

I have used cloth with DD almost since she was born. She weighed just over 2 Kg so we had to start with prefolds and use covers (we had 12 prefols and 3 overs) with velcro and then she moved up to small MCNs (we used these with the prefolds also) and slowly upgraded her to bigger ones. We kept her in prefolds as night time nappies until she was about 8-9 months. She has to wear disposables to bed now otherwise she wets through EVERYTHING else and we have tried EVERYTHING!!! she is a heavy wetter. We have about 20 nappies and we were washing daily when she was little and now we wash every two days. I am in Australia so I am not sure if the brands would be available over there. I also like to buy local brands made by work at home mums :)

Its so nice talking about babies :) cant wait to go through all of it again myself and all/most of you would have had your LOs by the time I am starting :)

Nothing much else to add...already bored and it is only 9:37 am. DD is at home with her dad today it will be nice to come home to them :)