Nagging about saving money for IVF

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay... so first things first, you need to sit down and have a conversation with him about this. You need to tell him that his actions aren't reflecting his desires. You need to ask him if he really wants to have a baby, and be absolutely sure that his response is completely honest. Next, IVF is sort of a last ditch effort. Have you talked to your doctor about your options to treat your infertility? Has he or she told you that this is the only way you will ever have a child? Third, have you explored the possibilities of adoption because there are many, many children in this world that could use a loving home and do not have one?

Lastly, if after all that, you come back to IVF, then you need to make a budget, set up a separate account, determine how much will be deposited in the account weekly/monthly, and agree that neither of you will withdraw from the account until the goal is reached. Make certain that the bank is not the same as your checking, and I would recommend choosing a small bank, like a credit union, that does not have many branches. This would make it harder to withdraw the money.

I realize that most of this has already been suggested to you, but I really needed to emphasize that communication is absolutely key here, and that you need to have covered all your bases.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Why not adopt some of the millions of babies out there that need you instead of making more mouths to feed?

Thats what I said. It got ignored by the OP

Adopting is just as expensive. We would like to try to conceive our own child. If that does not work through IVF we will MOST definately look into adoption. Nothing against adopting a child, I would like to try for my own first.
  • melinda200208
    Options
    Why not adopt some of the millions of babies out there that need you instead of making more mouths to feed?

Sadly, in many situations adoption is even more expensive than ivf, if you are looking to adopt an infant or toddler.

add: Have you had genetic counseling to know the reasons for your infertility issues?

if the infertility is due to you having antibodies that could cause spontaneous abortions so you are unlikely to carry to term, or if your issue is hereditary rather than acquired (acquired eg: tube-scarring caused by a past bacterial infection (some STD's can do this to women and to men)), then you may want to look into adopting even if it is more expensive.

The reasons are, if you have antibody problems, then every pregnancy, even ivf, is a risk to both your life and the baby's. And if you have a hereditary fertility problem, then you are just passing your fertility problem on to the next generation (because we don't yet have a way to 'discriminate' between genes to make sure the bad gene isn't hiding in the egg or sperm used in the ivf).
    Thank you for this. He has had genetic testing. He has a micro deletion in his Y Chromosome which they are assuming is the cause for the low sperm count / motility. As far as we know, nothing wrong with me. I ovulate, grow follicles, ect. I haven't done an HSG or anything yet. THat will be required prior to IVF.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The other thing is, if he can't save money now for the IVF, how is he going to handle not being able to play with money because it has been or must be spent on the kid's needs?

Depending on your situation you may be able to finance IVF with a loan. You may also be able to work out a payment plan with the doc's office.

Have you tried artificial insemination? If he has issues with his vas deferens or with sperm motility (that is, the little buggers are present but can't get from balls to egg), maybe a simple AI procedure would get you pregnant at lower cost than full-out ivf?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Sadly, in many situations adoption is even more expensive than ivf, if you are looking to adopt an infant or toddler.

add: Have you had genetic counseling to know the reasons for your infertility issues?

if the infertility is due to you having antibodies that could cause spontaneous abortions so you are unlikely to carry to term, or if your issue is hereditary rather than acquired (acquired eg: tube-scarring caused by a past bacterial infection (some STD's can do this to women and to men)), then you may want to look into adopting even if it is more expensive.

The reasons are, if you have antibody problems, then every pregnancy, even ivf, is a risk to both your life and the baby's. And if you have a hereditary fertility problem, then you are just passing your fertility problem on to the next generation (because we don't yet have a way to 'discriminate' between genes to make sure the bad gene isn't hiding in the egg or sperm used in the ivf).
    Thank you for this. He has had genetic testing. He has a micro deletion in his Y Chromosome which they are assuming is the cause for the low sperm count / motility. As far as we know, nothing wrong with me. I ovulate, grow follicles, ect. I haven't done an HSG or anything yet. THat will be required prior to IVF.

Is he terribly opposed to a sperm bank, then? It's significantly cheaper than IVF.
  • melinda200208
    Options
    Talk to him.

If you can't trust him on stuff like this, your future, a family, your finances, do you really want to keep moving forward with him?

Oh, I trust him 100%. He just likes to spend money. He wants to save (which is why he gave himself an allowance) but he also likes to spend. I will Never Leave him.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    Break up
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Thats what I said. It got ignored by the OP

Adopting is just as expensive. We would like to try to conceive our own child. If that does not work through IVF we will MOST definately look into adoption. Nothing against adopting a child, I would like to try for my own first.

How many times are you willing to try and how much money are you willing to spend? I had neighbors who spent over 40K on IVF before they finally conceived. How are you going to pay for repeated procedures and the if that doesn't work for adoption when he's not willing to save money?

Wait a second. Shouldn't this be covered under Obamacare? I mean if old ladies have to have insurance that includes prenatal care then surely IVF is covered too!
  • melinda200208
    Options

I am fairly certain the average cost for adoption is higher than the average cost for IVF. On the other hand, you are probably less likely to spend all of that money and come away empty-handed.

We wont leave empty handed after IVF. We will either have a child (or hopefully 2) or we get 90% of our money back if it doesn't happen after three times. This is a one time 21,000.00 and we get three tries. Actually pretty good warranty program
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Talk to him.

If you can't trust him on stuff like this, your future, a family, your finances, do you really want to keep moving forward with him?

Oh, I trust him 100%. He just likes to spend money. He wants to save (which is why he gave himself an allowance) but he also likes to spend. I will Never Leave him.

My only other suggestion is Spenders Anonymous.

http://www.spenders.org/
  • laynerich15
    Options
    or or or or maybe just don't have kids and enjoy the extra money and freedom
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options

I am fairly certain the average cost for adoption is higher than the average cost for IVF. On the other hand, you are probably less likely to spend all of that money and come away empty-handed.

We wont leave empty handed after IVF. We will either have a child (or hopefully 2) or we get 90% of our money back if it doesn't happen after three times. This is a one time 21,000.00 and we get three tries. Actually pretty good warranty program

That is a great program. Our clinic offered nothing like it. I think they offered a multi-attempt program, but with no money back if it failed. Although, even the multi-attempt program wouldn't have been allowed for us due to the medical issue that was involved.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    or or or or maybe just don't have kids and enjoy the extra money and freedom

OP states theyve been trying for 4.5 years. Seems like they're pretty determined so I dont think they'll walk away without a child - either IVF or adoption (she confirmed above btw)
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have ING Direct accounts with an automatic transfer for special purposes like vacations and a new car. I can transfer the money at any time but it's an extra step and takes a couple of days to land in my account so it psychologically harder to spend.

^^^I do this too! My husband doesn't want to be involved in our finances. When I mention his spending habits, he get very defensive (married 38 years). He panics and says he needs to find a job, but never looks. Daughters number two is just like him. She gets good deals on clothes, but she has two closets filled.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Ok. This means if you have a male child then he will suffer the same issues as your husband when he grows up, unless technology for fertility issues improves before then.

Since you are okay, you could ask your doc whether AI would work in your case, to save money.

Your husband's seeming denial about the need to save money may arise from him having emotional issues about being 'defective', or concerns about passing on his problem. He may be thinking that IVF is pointless and won't work for him anyway, and be secretly in despair over this--spending the money could be a way to avoid failing by not having IVF work.

It is generally assumed to be ethically wrong to select ivf fertilized eggs based on gender. I don't know what laws exist on this topic. But if the technology exists to do so, this would be an ethically valid situation where choosing a female egg (which in the normal case won't have a Y chromosome, so won't carry the defect) is the right thing to do. Gender selection is another thing you can discuss with your docs if you do have a full IVF procedure.

There may also be studies going on about this gender selection, and participation in a study might lower your costs. You'd have to find out what the study risks are before you decide--most likely just that you'd get a boy, but you never know if there would be any other risks to joining a study of that sort.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel really guilty about my spending habits after seeing everyone question where $100/week goes...

yikes.gif
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    Options
    He is the one who mentioned getting an allowance of $100.00 a week. My allowance: ZERO. Honestly, all I do is buy groceries and gas. I'm not your average girl that goes shopping to buy clothes and shoes. Once in a blue moon I will.

He goes through $100 a week in cash and isn't buying groceries/household items? Does he have a girlfriend?

My husband goes through WAY more than $100 per week spending money on random crap. In fact, my husband is notoriously $200+ a week spender. Me: like $0. It's ridiculous. Anyone need a husband? I could use an extra $800 a month. :laugh:
    divorce is cheaper
  • laynerich15
    Options
    I'm starting to feel really guilty about my spending habits after seeing everyone question where $100/week goes...

yikes.gif

This, but without the guilt
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

yikes.gif

Tsk tsk shame on you.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If he's buying chew, you'll probably need that money to treat his throat cancer and rotting gums/teeth