Nagging about saving money for IVF

Options

Replies

• LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    He is the one who mentioned getting an allowance of $100.00 a week. My allowance: ZERO. Honestly, all I do is buy groceries and gas. I'm not your average girl that goes shopping to buy clothes and shoes. Once in a blue moon I will.

He goes through $100 a week in cash and isn't buying groceries/household items? Does he have a girlfriend?

Ha! No girlfriend. Lol. Alcohol, gas station stuff, golf, ect. He has NO problem spending that 100.00 ;)

wait... you said he gets $100 AND a gas card, so wouldn't that gas station stuff fall under the gas card??

And Beer/Alcohol should totally fall under groceries....

And golf under physical and mental healthcare.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I had IVF so let me put in my two cents. Don't stress, it's not gonna help. Put it on a credit card, once you give birth, you can claim your child tax credit then pay off your CC. That's what we did. My son is almost 2 and he's paid off Yaay! :drinker:

Oh and my husband only gets $20/week and no gas money :glasses:
    Congrats girl!! Thanks for the encouragement! It's a very emotional / stressful rollercoaster trying to concieve :(
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hmph, $21k would be a nice start on a classic car.

Maybe I should start putting away $100/week instead of spending it on beer.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You get paid to foster.

Take on a house full, you'll have the money in a couple years.

Then when you decide never mind, you'll have $21,000 to blow on a nice vacation alone.

You're welcome.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    He is the one who mentioned getting an allowance of $100.00 a week. My allowance: ZERO. Honestly, all I do is buy groceries and gas. I'm not your average girl that goes shopping to buy clothes and shoes. Once in a blue moon I will.

He goes through $100 a week in cash and isn't buying groceries/household items? Does he have a girlfriend?

Ha! No girlfriend. Lol. Alcohol, gas station stuff, golf, ect. He has NO problem spending that 100.00 ;)

wait... you said he gets $100 AND a gas card, so wouldn't that gas station stuff fall under the gas card??

exactly.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I had IVF so let me put in my two cents. Don't stress, it's not gonna help. Put it on a credit card, once you give birth, you can claim your child tax credit then pay off your CC. That's what we did. My son is almost 2 and he's paid off Yaay! :drinker:

$20 / week? That's like what? 1 lapdance?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    SO you get $50 a week then?

You dont read so well huh?

She said she has 0$ because she's not a spendy type female beyond groceries and gas
    Options

look at us - group help AND we're free. Bam!! You're welcome, OP! :wink:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel really guilty about my spending habits after seeing everyone question where $100/week goes...

yikes.gif

meh. Let's go shopping together!:drinker:
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel really guilty about my spending habits after seeing everyone question where $100/week goes...

yikes.gif

The important thing is that you understand budgets are this tight for a great many people in the US--and even tighter in some other parts of the world.

If you can spend more freely, by all means enjoy your good fortune (pun intended)--but keep compassion for those who can't.

There has been a social tendency in the US lately to "blame" people for their lack of "success" financially, attributing moral faults like "lazyness" etc. which really are not true. Whatever your situation, keep in mind that success means hard work and preparedness, but *also* requires luck.

As an explicit example of luck being required for "success", I once had opportunity to talk with a physician/professor who was on the admissions board of a major medical school. She told me that there are 5 times the number of qualified applicants each year than slots in US medical schools. This means that after they have winnowed down the pool to the group of all people who would be equally good doctors after training, they must still reject 4 out of 5 of them, and that sometimes it felt like their decisions were like throwing darts at a board or picking cards from a pile at random. This means, from the applicant's standpoint, that the applicant could do everything "right" in their academic career--and still have a 4 out of 5 chance of failing to get into any med school at all. These are certainly not lazy or stupid people, and their "failure" to enter that career boils down to sheer unfavorable luck.

So--if you have $100 to spend on a day at the spa, please enjoy the hell out of it for yourself and for all those who can't afford it. And be kind to those who can't afford it.

And if you are ever in a position to give a deserving person the luck element they need, I hope you will jump at the chance to empower them.

Um, no. Success does not require a bit of "luck". People are successful because they work HARD at it. They work 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. They put all their time, effort and energy into making whatever it is they are doing work.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options

If you go during the day you can get two.
  • melinda200208
    Options

Your husband's seeming denial about the need to save money may arise from him having emotional issues about being 'defective', or concerns about passing on his problem. He may be thinking that IVF is pointless and won't work for him anyway, and be secretly in despair over this--spending the money could be a way to avoid failing by not having IVF work.

This is kind of what I was going to say. I believe this is the problem. Your husband isn't committing to the saving because he isn't committing to the IVF. You are still trying naturally.....He doesn't want to believe he can't do it on his own. Having to go IVF makes him weaker and less of a man. There have to be a lot of emotional issues tied up in that.
    You are right, I know he feels like it is "his fault" and I am sure he feels like a failure. I try to tell him it's not one person's fault. We are doing this together.
  • sixout
    Options

yikes.gif

The important thing is that you understand budgets are this tight for a great many people in the US--and even tighter in some other parts of the world.

If you can spend more freely, by all means enjoy your good fortune (pun intended)--but keep compassion for those who can't.

There has been a social tendency in the US lately to "blame" people for their lack of "success" financially, attributing moral faults like "lazyness" etc. which really are not true. Whatever your situation, keep in mind that success means hard work and preparedness, but *also* requires luck.

As an explicit example of luck being required for "success", I once had opportunity to talk with a physician/professor who was on the admissions board of a major medical school. She told me that there are 5 times the number of qualified applicants each year than slots in US medical schools. This means that after they have winnowed down the pool to the group of all people who would be equally good doctors after training, they must still reject 4 out of 5 of them, and that sometimes it felt like their decisions were like throwing darts at a board or picking cards from a pile at random. This means, from the applicant's standpoint, that the applicant could do everything "right" in their academic career--and still have a 4 out of 5 chance of failing to get into any med school at all. These are certainly not lazy or stupid people, and their "failure" to enter that career boils down to sheer unfavorable luck.

So--if you have $100 to spend on a day at the spa, please enjoy the hell out of it for yourself and for all those who can't afford it. And be kind to those who can't afford it.

And if you are ever in a position to give a deserving person the luck element they need, I hope you will jump at the chance to empower them.

Um, no. Success does not require a bit of "luck". People are successful because they work HARD at it. They work 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week. They put all their time, effort and energy into making whatever it is they are doing work.

So much this. I hate it when people say "oh you're so lucky to have a good job"

What the hell ever. It came after working my *kitten* off for years, and I never, EVER have time to do anything, becuase I'm always at work. That's not luck. People that think it's luck are the people that think if they wait around, a good job will just come to them.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

With a steak and pitcher of beer
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to create a 2nd savings account and set up an automatic transfer. Have it automatically transfer over an agreed upon amount every payday (or every month, whatever works better) with a clear understanding that there is NO withdrawing from that account, come hell or high water. That way the money isn't technically spendable to begin with.

I agree with this. I hope things work out for you, I know what infertility is like and I hope you have better success than I did. Good luck!
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options

She said she has 0$ because she's not a spendy type female beyond groceries and gas

Yes but is that a "real" $0 per week, or a if he doesn't know about what I my online than I can say $0?
    Options

great, now I want steak, beer and boobies. Thanks.
  • melinda200208
    Options

LOL!

look at us - group help AND we're free. Bam!! You're welcome, OP! :wink:
  • sixout
    Options

great, now I want steak, beer and boobies. Thanks.

Don't we all
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Yes but is that a "real" $0 per week, or a if he doesn't know about what I my online than I can say $0?

That makes zero sense
    Try again