What foods have you given up to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• sschiano
    sschiano Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    before seriously starting my weight loss regimen i cut out all fast food joints, now i seriously limit my chocolate intake ( to 1 fiber one chocolate and oats if im getting a serious craving or a jell-o temptation), french fries, ice cream, cookies, pizza. and working on totally killing take out ( but that general tso's chicken wont leave me alone!!!).

its been tough tho because this is all my roommate eats, how she stays at 120 on a 5'7 frame i will never know.
  • kdel0818
    kdel0818 Posts: 4
    Options
    I gave up milk and switched to soy milk, I dont know if I am going to stick with that because I already miss real milk and it has only been a week, Other than that I didn't give up anything I just pay attention to portion control and calories. I have always prefered baked lays but instead of eating half a bag I eat one serving, when Im craving fries which were my favorite I bake my own, and I stopped drinking coffee all day long just because there was a pot brewed at work. I never realized how many calories I was intaking by the cream, now I only have 2 cups in the morning and I walk right past the coffee at work everyday. I dont feel deprived of anything yet but this is a pretty new journey.
  • ♥AngelKisses♥
    Options
    I have (for the most part) given up most cheese and milk and bread. I starting taking a calcium supplement to make up what im missing. I can't say I have completely given it up but I don't eat ANYWHERE near how much I used to.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    None. I follow portion control very strictly. But if there is a better substitute, like for example one serving of strawberry ice cream vrs. a cup of strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream, then I'd eat the berries and cream.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Bump

WHY? Why would you bump a post that's three years old? :grumble:
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    I gave up all refined "white" things: white bread, white sugar, white rice, and anything that contains these things.

I also gave up artificial things, so no Splenda, Aspartame, no additives to food. This was mainly so I'd stop drinking ten+ cans of diet soda a day like I used to.

It was hard at first, but it's been several months and now I don't even crave those foods in the least bit :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    none gave up a lot of alcohol.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    not really giving up anything but i am reconsidering if i REALLY want it or if i can find something healthier to replace it. but if i really MUST have something bad i don't eat nearly as much as i used to. i also plan ahead when i can so i can go to the gym on the days i may be going out that night or something so i can make up for extra cals i might drink
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    All the ones that make me hungrier after I eat them than I was before. Food just shouldn't do that!
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything but I avoid pasta like the plague because I probably could eat a half pound by myself. Also stopped putting mayo on my sandwiches and switched to dijon mustard. I also cut back on rice. But more than anything I learned how to say no thanks I'm full to my bf's mom when she tries to give me 20 servings of dinner at once lol!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of all foods, while dieting, that I cannot determine the caloric value of. A McDonalds side salad is 20 calories. But I won't order a non-pre-packaged, non-portion-controlled salad in a restaurant; to estimate the calories would be chancy. I do not like to estimate. While dieting, I primarily consume food that lists the calories on the package. Occasionally, I will eat a piece of fruit, but I will probably call a small apple medium, to be safe.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Given up completely? None really. Avoided more than I would have prior to attempting to lose weight, yeah sure.

I avoid alcohol, refined carbohydrates and high fat foods. Stress on avoid not exclude. Hasn't been that long since I had a plate of ribs, some white rice, ice-cream or a full-sugar drink. I just have much less of those things than I used to.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Hershey Kisses (I could eat half a bag in a sitting before) and regular soda (cut down to 1 day day, then switched to diet to save those 150 calories). Other than that, everything's been in moderation.
  • b4tb4t
    b4tb4t Posts: 30
    Options
    My favorite restaurant's Vietnamese BBQ chicken... I have no idea what calories are in it and I don't want to guess so I've kinda given up on it. :c

Other than that I haven't really given up anything, maybe swapped a few things for choices that wouldn't make it as easy to push me at or over my deficit. Like wraps vs bread for sammies and the likes! :)
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    pasta
    rice
    white potatoes
    bread - almost completely
    cheese
    butter
    milk
    fruit juice
    bacon
    cream soups
    hot dogs
    sausage
    peas
    corn
    nuts - almost completely

I'm sure there's more but nothing else comes to mind right at this moment....:)
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ive given up English to loose weight.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Desserts - cakes, ice cream, pies. I love sweets and I can't have just a small bite so I've substituted these with other foods!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Pasta
    Dairy
    Soda
    Hot dogs
    Chips
    Cookies
    Cake
    Cheesecake
    Fast food
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of all foods, while dieting, that I cannot determine the caloric value of. A McDonalds side salad is 20 calories. But I won't order a non-pre-packaged, non-portion-controlled salad in a restaurant; to estimate the calories would be chancy. I do not like to estimate. While dieting, I primarily consume food that lists the calories on the package. Occasionally, I will eat a piece of fruit, but I will probably call a small apple medium, to be safe.

You can determine the caloric value of any food by using a food scale.