WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi All - Getting my exercise in by doing a Leslie Sansone DVD today! Hope you are all having a great day! :D

Bump
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, just a quick note. What with getting up at 4:15 am yesterday, two flights and then having dinner with Mom and getting out to the B&B, we were on the go for about 24 hours. Slept for 10. I discovered Fitbit and MFP don't pick up the new time zone from the iPhone, so the times for sleep etc. are screwed up and so are the numbers for today. Changed the time zones on the sites today and we'll see what happens. I'm not going to worry about it too much. My goal is just not to gain weight during vacation.
    Haven't read everything; just wishing everyone the best.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!!!
    Tina,sorry for all your losses.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :frown:
    Finally got hold of the landlord for the townhouse,still OOT will be back fri.suppose to call fri and set something up for sat.Fingers crossed and toes too.lol
    HUGS:happy:
    'jane
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody!

Last night was a bit too much after being down with that cold; six hours on my feet just about had me crawling into the house. DD and I also stopped on the way home to pick up some home grown tomatoes from one of the gym's regular guys who had called me earlier in the day with the offer............well, I thought they would be picked---oh, no---he says, "You need fresh"
    so, there we were out picking tomatoes at 10pm with flashlights....lol! His neighbors must have thought we were crazy; I kept an eye out for critters!!! Anyway, I just had the most wonderful bacon and tomato sandwich.........yummy!!!!!

Heather............I read your paragraph about your DH's books to DD and she was very interested in his books! I got a speech on what an absolutely fabulous guy King Alfred was and all he did
    apparently she's a fan! She showed me a pic of the relic too. I know she took several courses on England's very early days up through the middle ages. So, maybe she'll be boosting book sales a bit.

Patty..............Wow, you are going to have one long day on Saturday............have fun!

Rita.........Sorry to hear what a difficult time you are having........(((Hugs))))

Vicki............Huge amount of stress for you to carry;.......(((Hugs))) for you too!

Becky...........I've always wanted to see the Keys, but never got past Orlando.

Joyce............OMG, You are a hoot......elephant poop???? Good luck with your 4wk. test!

Cynthia......Glad you reached your destination safely.......How long are you here for?

janemartin...............Got everything crossed alongside you!!!! Hoping!

Hi to everyone else, gotta run,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,641 Member
    Options
    Barbie – I have no idea if this would be a good plant for you, but I am currently in love with Plumbago – it has pretty sky blue flowers and is a “shrub” but is kinda billowy! I am going to put one in – :bigsmile:

Meg - I know the baby challenge has been hard for you – thinking of you! I wish we would have rain, but if we get any before October we would be completely weird-ed out! California gets all of its rain between Oct and April/May --- but we have not been getting enough in the last 3 winters to tide us over the summer…

Tina – What a sad time for you! Thinking of you….

0409Gina - Hang in there – a ops happens, just get back on track! You can not change history, but you can make changes NOW…. Where are you from?

YannieJannie – glad that worked --- and that you only had one grumpy lumpy!

Heather – I am surprised – I’ve never cooked with non-traditional meats; but I spent 9 years as a vegetarian and handled tofu easily… I’ll put the manicotti recipe at the end of this post…
    I have not read any of the books but am making a note to see if they are at my library – I don’t have an e-reader yet…
    Thanks for the cactus garden lead….

Barbara – welcome back!

Rita – Glad to see you back – we are cheering for you.

Vicki- Wow what a family saga, you are right to stay out of things as much as you can, they are all adults.

Kayzoola - that is a HUGE accomplishment!!! Be proud – you may need to do some exercise/weight lifting to tone up the areas you are not happy with… but meeting goal is excellent, amazing and something to be proud of!!!

Joyce- you needed to share that about elephants – WHY?????? Gross!!!!
    I am glad they are not putting you on more meds…yet glad she is looking at all the possible issues, and the compression socks will be ok in the winter… hunt on the internet and see if there are any other colors….

Here is the manicotti recipe - I redid this with a lower calorie marinara sauce from my local market, and I felt like 2 manicotti were plenty for me.. so when I put it into MFP with my changes it was 220 calories per serving... so you can play with this.

Stuffed manicotti
    Serves 6 – vegetarian (could be vegan with vegan manicotti)

16 uncooked manicotti shells
    8 cups marinara sauce (meatless)
    Filling:
    1 yellow onion chopped
    2 cups drained and mashed silken or soft tofu
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    ¼ cup whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    ½ teaspoon dried basil (or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil)
    ½ teaspoon dried dill
    10 oz frozen spinach, chopped, thawed and drained.

Squeeze out additional spinach liquid – the spinach should be as dry as you can make it. Saute onion in a small amount of water for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add all remaing filling ingredients except spinach. Chop spinach so it is in small pieces and mix into filling.

Place 2 cups of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Tightly stuff manicotti with some of the filling place them side by side in the baking dish cover with remaining sauce (you can freeze at this point) Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Serves 6 – 406 calories; 67 carbs; 8g fat; 19g protein

Smiles Kim from Hot N. California
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm resurfacing from the wedding festivities, family get-togethers, a birthday lunch with my sister, etc., etc., etc.! I have read some (but not all by any means) of your posts. I wish I could do a brain dump of all the responses that, unfortunately, remain in my head. I am thinking of you!

I have to admit, once again, that family stuff does my eating in. Urgh. The only good thing is that, after a few days absence, I'm back to MFP and feeling good about it. No-added-sugar was tough. No gluten was not a big deal. Overall calories, let's not talk about that!

I'm not sure about the solution but I'm glad to be back and on track again.

Talk to you more later. Thinking about you all.

Mimi
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,752 Member
    Options
    hidee ho kids,
    finally figured out how to fix the computer... did well 12,000 steps last 2 days, and eating well.. will check in and the a.m.,
    Rita is among the living and great to chat with her:heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did 55 minutes of yoga today and then an hour of deep water.

Vince's arm is a bit swollen and since it's such a nice day today, we're going to cut the grass and not go bowling. I've asked her if we couldn't have 3 people on a team just for the summer. The reason is because "we have people with breathing problems and it just goes too fast for them". I say, put three people on a team and they just go slower. There are people at the other bowling alley who have breathing problems, and they still have 3 people on a team.

Tomorrow the plan is to do Jillian Michael's Shred it With Weights DVD

Heather - I do hope we have a good turnout for the social, but truthfully, I'm not building my hopes up. Last year's at the end of August seemed to do better. The kids are back in school so people are back from vacations. Also, weather.com is calling for a 40% chance of rain. Of course, the other day Vince looked at weather.com, it said "for Newton expect clear skies for the next 6 hours" He literally got up from his office, went into the garage...and it was pouring! What will be will be, I'm not about to stress over it.

After exercising stopped at WalMart to get Vince his milk. I was there the other day but didn't get the milk since I got the shrimp for the salad and I'm defrosting that in the refrig and I knew that would take up a lot of room. So I waited until he'd finished the gallon of milk before I bought another one.

Patty - happy birthday to your SIL and DS

Barabara - welcome back

Rita - hope you feel better real soon

Vicki - wow, do you have a lot on your plate! You're wise not to take sides with your brother. That never works out. What a shame about that guy at your work

kayzoola - big big congrats!!!

Joyce - my compression stockings are beige

Jane - I have everything crossed for you

Kim - For some reason, right now I seem to only like the silken tofu. It must be the consistency of the others. The manicotti recipe you posted is basically like mine.

Tomorrow is Vince's first cataract surgery. Everyone tells me that there's nothing to worry about, but I know that he's still concerned. If it were me, I'd probably be scared s***less. No matter what, its your eyes. We need to be there at 9:30. For breakfast, since he does not like even the smell of eggs, I'm going to have eggs so he's not at all tempted.

One of our neighbors left a watermelon in our garage. That was so thoughtful of them. What we'll probably do is the next really nice day I'll try that watermelon salad and have them over to go in the pool.

Helped Vince with the grass then in the pool for a bit then went to Aldi.

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    Options
    Joyce!! Just read your elephant story ... very timely ... was thinking about getting a snack ... now not interested!! Blech!! Thank you??? I think.

Becky ... congratulations on the loss.
    Tina ... so sorry you're going through a tough time.
    Rita ... hang in there ...
    Heather ... plan to look up your DH's novels ... are all three available on kindle?

Love the advice to do one healthy thing now ... a positive when you're feeling negative!

To the rest ... I read your posts ... hugs to all who need them.

Friend gifted me with fresh peas today... shelled, blanched and frozen. Forgot how time consuming shelling peas is! But so tasty!

Question: is anyone aware of a sriracha type sauce that doesn't have sulfites? Maybe make my own? I found an acceptable recipe for a soy sauce substitute, but then unthinkingly added bottled sriracha sauce to my chicken recipe ... too late discovered the sulfite warning! We are missing Asian inspired dishes on this migraine trigger diet!

Beth
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kim, I looked up plumbago and it looks nice….i’ll keep it in mind when I finally have a bed ready for planting.

:flowerforyou: Jane, I am continuing to think good thoughts for you about finding the right new place to live.

:flowerforyou: Mimi, family is a challenge for all of us…..I am fortunate that I don’t have much family and don’t do many family events……keep your focus and you’ll do better next time….one thing that helps me is to have very strict rules about what I eat so my choices are limited…..also I often eat before I go to an event and then eat nothing at the event.

:flowerforyou: Rita, I’m glad to see you posting again and sorry to hear that depression has been such a challenge for you.

:flowerforyou: Barbara from Idaho, I am so happy to see you again…..are you still line dancing?

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Today was another beautiful sunny day…..I got up super early and walked dogs from dark to after sunrise. At the intermediate line dance class we danced two hours of favorite dances then I walked to the library to exchange books. After a great lunch of grilled chicken with sauerkraut and cauliflower, Jake and I shopped at Costco and Petco and bought food for everyone and a new electric toothbrush for me. I called my friend the line dance teacher who is now living back at home after a long stretch of living at her daughter’s house….then I called my cousin who is still in the rehab center and can’t call out so she wants me to call her every day.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: don't forget to be looking for the new thread for August about 7PM PDT tomorrow

:heart: Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington

:bigsmile: 26,000 steps today

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Last night we turned in the rental car and the kid working said that we will be responsible for the damage to the windshield. We had to point it out to him, because initially he didn't see it. We declined the Hertz insurance when we rented, relying instead on our regular car insurance ($1000 deductible) and coverage from the credit card company. So, we don't know how it will all work out, but I'm sure we will survive. Somehow...

We dropped off the car in the evening and took the hotel shuttle back to the hotel where we planned to get up at 2:45 AM to take the shuttle back to the airport. We asked for a wake up call, we set the alarm clock in the room, and I set an alarm on both my phone and my ipad. Off we went to dreamland, hubby with his CPAP and me with my earplugs. About midnight I woke up to go to the bathroom, and hubby informed me that the power to the hotel had gone out about 11:00. Of course, no electricity means no CPAP, so he was not able to sleep. I used my phone for a flashlight to find the bathroom, then dozed off and on till 2:45 when the ipad alarm went off. None of the other alarms went off. No wake up call from the hotel because their system didn't have electricity. Thank goodness for the ipad, or we might have missed our flight.

Oh, and there was one other small issue. Somehow I miscounted when I packed my underwear for the trip. I was one short. So, I washed out a pair in the sink and draped them over the A/C unit to dry overnight. You can guess how well that worked with no power. So I wore wet underwear from Portland to Phoenix to Kansas City. By the time we landed it was pretty much dry.

We got home just in time to get to the vet before they closed to pick up two very excited and happy dogs. The vet tech said she told Molly she was going home after I called to say we were coming, and the poor thing got so excited she got her face caught in the crate door. She knows what "going home" means.

So we are all home now, safe and sound. It was a wonderful trip. We are going to bed early though.

I hope you are all doing well. I'll catch up more tomorrow.

Night!

Sylvia
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Quick post as we lose satellite again. WILD weather here. Dragged out Wii and did Gold's boxing and WiiFitPlus. NO chance of a walk.
    Making Marion;s Kitchen Thai massaman curry for lunch, simmering now
    Lesley in Takone
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump...
    Gail, metro ATL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Florida Becky: Welcome to the group and congratulations to your brother for his new job.:flowerforyou:

Kayzolla, PNW: CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING YOUR GOAL!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Joyce: You may start a new craze with capris-compression. I think you’d look great as long as long as you keep your socks clean and choose tops that picked up the color of your socks. All in all, it seems like a positive visit.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Have fun!!!:flowerforyou:

Jane: I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed for your happiness.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I’m delighted that your DD is a fan of the time period that Heather’s DH write s about. I’ve read some books set in that time period, and I’m considering a purchase, too.

Mimi: I’m happy you had a good time at the wedding and also that you’re back on track. I go off track once in a while, too. Social situations seem to call for flexibility.:flowerforyou:

Alison: I’m glad you fixed the computer. I’m thrilled you talked to Rita. Hugs to both of you:flowerforyou: .

Barbie: I’m glad your former line dance teacher is able to come home. I’m thinking good thoughts for your cousin.:flowerforyou:

Sorry to those I missed.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

It has been a long day. DH went to his General Practitioner because of pain. He is going in for an MRI and may need surgery. Keep the doctors and DH in your prayers. He hasn’t got a scheduled date for the MRI yet. This is all very new. Another nasty bit of news: we have a mouse! We knew they were getting into the area under the kitchen sink and sealed it. Evidently we sealed one inside. Gross! Bought traps and need your wishes for good luck.

Grossed out Katla in beautiful NW Oregon.

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbara from Idaho, I am so happy to see you again…..are you still line dancing?

:heart: Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington
    :

You remembered, thank You! :love: Yes still line dancing but only once a week, and usually can't get away from work early enough to get more than an hour or hour and a half of the class. Our teacher has invited Dancin' Dean (from New York state) to teach a workshop Sept 6 and I'm sooo looking forward to it.

Scottish country dancing is on break for the summer, only one class a month. :huh:

But something new has been added, Joe and I take an hour's Tai Chi class in the Botanical Garden every Saturday morning. I'm thrilled Joe seems to enjoy it and wants to continue as long as the weather permits. This and an occasional stroll with the pups through the park are treasured times together. Feels like we're starting to reconnect in ways we haven't for a long time.:heart:

Glad to be back and to see so many familiar names, Michelle, Meg, Reb, Jane, JB, Joyce, Kackie, Katla, Gail, Linda, Viv and could it be? Mary SMVQ is that you???

Hugs,
    desismileys_4280.gif
    Barbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who wants to feel good NOW.

Just for now: let anger remind to transform judging thoughts, be kinder than necessary, trust.
    Today: Log like Mary MSH, every bite lick or sip whether over, under or sidewise!
    July: pull up my big girl panties, get out that measuring tape and step back on the scale.
    2014: Focus on the important stuff
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,641 Member
    Options
    Mimi – back on track is the most important step – giving up is something most of us have done in the past and that did not work, so not giving up is step one…

Sylvia – I think I would have worn a dry pair inside out…

Kim from N. California
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,288 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Hampshire UK.

DH has just gone off with his friend to the last day of the cricket. A test match lasts five days. Their attendance wasn't scheduled, but England are on the verge of winning against India, so it was a last minute decision. They haven't won much recently! ! !:laugh:

Katla - I hope your DH's pain isn't something serious. Best wishes coming your way!

The reference for The Morning Gift is

amazon.co.uk/dp/1500663162

His first two books were really cheap on Kindle, but for some reason Amazon has set this at a higher price. The pb is also available.

Rita - good to see you! I used to suffer regularly with severe depression so I have every sympathy. My DS#1 also has it right now. As you know, it does go away eventually, and for some reason I haven't had an episode since I met DH. Recently over here some very public figures have "come out" about their struggles with depression, including very unlikely people. My son, who has won awards for his coaching, bills himself as "black dog" - a coach with depression. It's good that people are more willing to talk about it. I must say it ruled my life for most of my life and I thought that was who I really was. Hugs to you.:flowerforyou:

Barbara - welcome back!:flowerforyou:

Kay - how fantastic to get to your goal! Have you read Strong Women Stay Young? I ordered a very cheap second hand copy from Amazon and it came from the USA! Strength and weight training have transformed my shape. The texture still leaves a bit to be desired, but as Katla says, I am not 25 any more, though I am fitter than I was then.:laugh:

I'm going to try a new recipe today using some of my prolific zucchini.:bigsmile: It's served with tagliatelli, but I will prepare the sauce and eat mine with shritaki noodles and make DH'S with the pasta. I got it from BBC Good food and found loads of zucchini recipes there. We call them courgette. I am going to try the courgette chocolate cake with hazlenuts for the freezer. Got to use up those pesky zucchini! !:laugh: Our French beans have also been fantastic thiis year and sooooo delicious! The runner beans (string?) haven't liked the heat and are not doing at all well. That happened last year, but they started producing later on when the weather cooled off. The chard is fantastic, the kale and salads all spotty and eaten.
    Last night's pork stew was fabulous and we have another helping in the freezer. I froze some tarragon for use out of season and today will melt down some sorrel for use in sauces in the winter. I love sorrel with fish or in an omelette. I love sour and sharp flavours.

Beth - I have an excellent recipe for a hot sauce made with chillies and red peppers. The red peppers come from a jar so they may have sulphites, so you would have to check. You could blister and roast your own peppers - it would be a drag, but you could freeze the resulting sauce in ice cube trays and just take out what you need. It is Nigella 's Jumbo sauce. Freezes perfectly. I use it as a dip with crudités and pittas for guests who like a bit of fire! If you can't find it online I will post it.

I'm sorry if I've forgotten anyone. Really tired today. I dragged myself through my exercising with zero enthusiasm as I didn't sleep well, but managed 541 cals.

Love Heather in sunny and dry Hampshire UK

Edit - Beth it is on line, Nigella's Jumbo Chilli Sauce recipe. You might have to look up exactly how to blister and roast the fresh red peppers. They say putting them in a pladtic bag after blistering helps the skin rub off, but I have never done it, I always use the jars.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Friends<

Rita have you had your Vit D levels checked. I know it is summer and just being out for a short time helps. Here is Minnesota we are so far North that even in summer it is not always easy to get enough Vit. D. A friend of mine suffered from severe depression. She got better when she spent the winter in Mexico and swam everyday. Between the exercise and the sunshine she vastly improved. When you are depressed exercise is the last thing you want to do, it can help. Thoughts and prayers.

Last night we auditioned two choir directors. I liked both of them but I hope the young man gets the position. I liked his gentle demeanor. He had a way of trusting our voices so each of us could be heard yet we sang as one. If he doesn't get the position I have decided to seek him out and take private lessons from him. I did get myself to record myself for a singing contest with AARP . I sang Simple Gifts. Just entering was an accomplishment for me.

Today I continue to do outdoor painting projects, so tomorrow our home will be closer to having a fresh coat of paint where needed.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Just now making it to this part of the thread, but no time to actually read it. I'll catch up later, just in time for the August thread.