Why are people so hateful??

Options

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Hmm, I think I must not understand the meaning of "hateful". I see none of that in that thread, just some misinformation quoted as "truth", bad advice from "trainers", and a few people linking actual, useful information. Which ones are the hateful ones?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Correcting misinformation and just plain ole bad advice is NOT hateful
    Stop being a hateful hater, you hater.
  • asdfthax
    asdfthax Posts: 12
    Options
    Cold hard truth or is someone being actually hostile?
    Arguing happens on forums. I just like the gifs.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Because civility is dead and everyone thinks they're right and wants to be. Admitting you're wrong has become a taboo in society in this day and age. There have always been unpleasant people but the internet makes it even more so and it spills over into the real world.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's only wednesday and a Mean people thread already.! Looks like someone disagreed with OP about BMR.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's only wednesday and a Mean people thread already.! Looks like someone disagreed with OP about BMR.
    Yep. Apparently correcting misinformation is hateful.

This is why I avoid teachers.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Anyone else come in line with some down right hostile threads going on here.....This is supposed to be a place of help and support, not ripping each other to shreds on who is right and wrong. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will for someone else and vice versa. Am I alone on this? :grumble:

No this not a place of help and support.
    Its a calorie counting website. That's all it's "supposed to be"

Wait what? We are sitting in "Motivation and Support" category of the Community Forum.

Your response is confusing me.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Oh heavens. People were not being hateful in the BMR thread, they were correcting misinformation. One thing I learned after being here a while is you are posting to a board with a LOT of people who actually know what they're talking about. If you're not sure, or haven't done the research but are interested in also knowing more, bump the thread so you can go back and read before you post.

I felt "jumped on" by others when I first started, then I started using the Search tool in the forums and google to learn more before I post.

I'm going out on a limb here and generalizing for MFP, but I haven't run into a single "hateful" person. Snarky maybe, but not hateful. If I could, I'd buy a round of drinks for you all for the awesome information I've gotten on this site. :drinker:
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Anyone else come in line with some down right hostile threads going on here.....This is supposed to be a place of help and support, not ripping each other to shreds on who is right and wrong. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will for someone else and vice versa. Am I alone on this? :grumble:

COWARDS who are afraid to stand up to people face to face where they could easily get their A** kicked are capable of coming online and saying what they please as they hide behind the computer screen in their mommy's basement where they live.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Hmm, I think I must not understand the meaning of "hateful". I see none of that in that thread, just some misinformation quoted as "truth", bad advice from "trainers", and a few people linking actual, useful information. Which ones are the hateful ones?

The ones who disagreed with her.

This thread gets me much closer to having a MFP Blackout Bingo.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Someone disagreeing with you and your choices doesn't make him hateful. It means he thinks his opinion is better than yours. Just like you think your opinion is better than his - if you didn't, you wouldn't have a problem with him disagreeing with you, would you?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

COWARDS who are afraid to stand up to people face to face where they could easily get their A** kicked are capable of coming online and saying what they please as they hide behind the computer screen in their mommy's basement where they live.
    39317d1333732978-joke-white-guy-walks-into-black-neighborhood-pot-kettle-jpg

For your record, how I type online is how I speak IRL.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you want this place to be more inclusive and unifying, then be more inclusive and unifying yourself. A thread accusing other members of being hateful hardly exemplifies that. If you don't like the diversity of opinions in an open lightly-moderated forum, keep your posts to your blog or profile where you can control access.

PS - I don't see any "hate" in the direct replies to you in the other thread. You were wrong--"If your goal is to lose weight, you need to keep your overall calories under that number"--and others corrected you. I'm certain one doesn't generally *need* to eat below their BMR because I don't and I 've lost 73lbs this year. I'm glad you say that approach is working well for you. Please try to ensure you hit all your nutrient targets.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I saw no hate in the referenced thread. I call shenanigans.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Is this third-person butthurt about the shiritaki noodle "mac and cheese" thread?

Oh the funnies...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Did you actually read the BMR thread? There was no hate on there, people were just correcting wrong information.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I learned at my seminar this summer that heated disagreement within a professional learning community is a GOOD thing and should be encouraged. It causes people to experience dissonance which in turn triggers the learning process. So they're not being mean to you, they're just trying to cause dissonance so that you can grow and learn as a person. :flowerforyou:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

ironic post is ironic. calling people cowards from the safety of your own computer chair
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    No one on that thread was mean to you! The most hurtful thing people said to you was that you were wrong (and you were). The most hateful things I can find in that thread are one person posting "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! " and another posting "Wrong!!" followed by an explanation.

Yes, I have seen people get nasty on the forums. I have seen people get called names, insult each other very directly, and tell each other to shut the bleep up. Those threads get shut down/removed. What happened to you is that you posted advice and everyone disagreed.

As for this thread, it will be deleted shortly anyway. This is what is commonly known as a Mean People Thread. It is typically started by someone who feels wronged, usually not in any way against the Community Guidelines, which you can find here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
This discussion has been closed.