Why are people so hateful??

Options

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Make liberal use of the "Ignore User" function, and the trolls will disappear within a few days.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    this place is pretty bad- god- you should see my sport bike forum- those people are RUTHLESS- they tried to astrick out swear words (like they do here for say- **** the ****ing ****ers)... that did NOT end well for them. (the owners of the forum) LOL
    we now swear freely. lol

Or check out some of the gun forums I frequent. Ok, frequent is a little much, I have to bounce when they start blathering about politics... as for the sport bikers. I have a friend who fancies herself quite the sportie. She "loves" it when I say, "Hey Squid. How are things? Squiding out much lately?"

goat gotten. dander up. nuclear winter commenced.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like how people are like "we don't do X around here".

Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean someone else can't. Please put your opinion and facts into it but all the name calling and slander is just a bunch of pathetic internet warriors who hate their own lives thus they put down others.

My personal belief is that if I were going to type something on the Internet I would say it in person. I highly doubt the majority of you have the fortitude to say half of what you say here.

Want to flame me? Go ahead I rarely read the forums and just peak in every now and then.

You are right. Just because you believe something I don't believe in, doesn't mean you can't do it. So do it.

But if you want to post in a public forum and a) claim product/plan superiority or b) extreme weight loss benefits or c) requesting opinions on said product, plan or benefit then you should expect some form of dissension. It's called feedback. Like it or not, it's how we learn.
  • peachmagic
    peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Nice is relative. Matter-of-fact is often confused with being mean. Also, disagreement is not being mean. I may not agree with your approach at all, but because I say so doesn't mean I'm being mean to you. If you're juicing, I happen to think juicing is stupid. So, I'm going to say that to you. And, I say that to people in real life too. It's not mean, it actually is stupid.

But calling someone stupid IS mean. As someone who has tried juicing, I agree, it doesn't help you lose weight in the long run and is definitely bad for you. That doesn't mean calling people who do it stupid is called for or reasonable.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The one thing I enjoy about these sorts of threads is the display of irony of people bitterly name-calling people who name-call. Basically sitting anonymously behind their computer calling people cowards for having called other people names (like coward) anonymously behind their computer.

If you post information on a public forum and the response of people is to rip into that information and say why they believe it is incorrect that is not a personal attack.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    "Stop attacking me!" = "Agree with me or don't post in my thread!"

Every. Single. Time.

EDIT: SO what's up with this shirataki noodles thread? Was it deleted? *please tell me it wasn't*

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1374118-42-calorie-macaroni-and-cheese?page=6#posts-20964125
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Anyone else come in line with some down right hostile threads going on here.....This is supposed to be a place of help and support, not ripping each other to shreds on who is right and wrong. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will for someone else and vice versa. Am I alone on this? :grumble:

I made a thread about a product line that had helped me which for some reason had people flaming me and accusing me of selling things to them and all sorts of other terrible things to the point where they were accusing me of grabbing pictures off of google and not having a real profession as a model let alone my own photos being me!!!

...seriously?

facepalm.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean someone else can't. Please put your opinion and facts into it but all the name calling and slander is just a bunch of pathetic internet warriors who hate their own lives thus they put down others.

My personal belief is that if I were going to type something on the Internet I would say it in person. I highly doubt the majority of you have the fortitude to say half of what you say here.

Want to flame me? Go ahead I rarely read the forums and just peak in every now and then.

warriors.gif
    come at me, bruh
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    "Stop attacking me!" = "Agree with me or don't post in my thread!"

Every. Single. Time.

EDIT: SO what's up with this shirataki noodles thread? Was it deleted? *please tell me it wasn't*

It's still there. :smile:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I can't speak for any other internet warrior than myself, but I do stand behind exactly everything that I write here. And I would say it to people directly, too. My voice is kind and sometimes happy, sometimes concerned, I don't yell nor look down on others, but when some members read what I write, they clearly have pictured a nasty b1tch. That part I have no control over and it says more about their frame of mind than it says about me.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Nice is relative. Matter-of-fact is often confused with being mean. Also, disagreement is not being mean. I may not agree with your approach at all, but because I say so doesn't mean I'm being mean to you. If you're juicing, I happen to think juicing is stupid. So, I'm going to say that to you. And, I say that to people in real life too. It's not mean, it actually is stupid.

But calling someone stupid IS mean. As someone who has tried juicing, I agree, it doesn't help you lose weight in the long run and is definitely bad for you. That doesn't mean calling people who do it stupid is called for or reasonable.

I am not saying this is the case with you as I did not see your exchange but I have many times heard someone state that they were "called stupid" only to go to the thread and see that what they were saying was refered to as stupid.

There is a big difference between saying that the statement 2+2=5 is stupid and saying that the person posting that is stupid. Having the information you provide ripped to shreds in front of you might not feel good, but it does not equate to a personal attack.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I probably wouldn't choose the word stupid, but calling an idea stupid is different from calling a person stupid.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I am not saying this is the case with you as I did not see your exchange but I have many times heard someone state that they were "called stupid" only to go to the thread and see that what they were saying was refered to as stupid.

There is a big difference between saying that the statement 2+2=5 is stupid and saying that the person posting that is stupid. Having the information you provide ripped to shreds in front of you might not feel good, but it does not equate to a personal attack.

Or that. You said it better.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Pretty sure they aren't calling people stupid. :noway:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

And name-calling is a reportable offense. But, calling a belief, an idea, or a product stupid is not a personal attack.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    In otherwords a large group of people thoroughly dismantling the information you provided in front of your eyes in a way that makes you feel like you were thrown into a shark tank might feel crappy and it might make you feel stupid, but that isn't the same thing as people calling you stupid.

If they said "you are a stupid person" then that is different and if you can link to someone saying that then nevermind, but 99% of the time I see this complaint it was the posters idea that was called stupid...not them.

You are not your ideas.

If I, for example, state that herballife is stupid or even say something like "anyone who takes or promotes herballife is being stupid" neither one of those is a personal attack. One is stating that a product is unintelligent and the other is stating that the action of taking that product is an unintelligent action. If someone was to see that and take it personally then honestly that is on them.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Feedback is one thing and I agree 100% with you. If someone post something that you believe won't work post your opinion and the facts that state it. That's what a public forum is for!

What I disagree with is how quickly it becomes an attack on the poster themselves instead of the relevant topic.

There are people that turn to this site that may not be in the best mental condition and are trying to learn, educate, and better their lives. I'm not saying coddle them and be like 'there there my dear" but the amount of hate that comes from some individuals is just cowardice in my opinion.

I'd prefer that if someone were going to debate that they stayed on topic.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Blah Blah Blah
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I'd really like to see an example of "hate" on this forum linked to. Anyone have a link to that?

Link and refer to the specific comment that you find to have "hate" in it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In otherwords a large group of people thoroughly dismantling the information you provided in front of your eyes in a way that makes you feel like you were thrown into a shark tank might feel crappy and it might make you feel stupid, but that isn't the same thing as people calling you stupid.

If they said "you are a stupid person" then that is different and if you can link to someone saying that then nevermind, but 99% of the time I see this complaint it was the posters idea that was called stupid...not them.

You are not your ideas.

And then you go back and read the thread and it was 70% support and good advice anyway, with about 28% bluntness and you put your big girl panties on and learn something from it and become a better person to this day.

Or maybe that's just me.
This discussion has been closed.