Judging people and their weight

Replies

• rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    I never said the PDF said that. That's from personal experience and knowing others who have gained 100+ lbs from these medications.

Ah, so we're back to anecdotal bull****.

That's physically impossible to occur - if you don't take it in, you can't put it on. Period, full stop.

There is no such thing as a medication that prevents weight loss.

Did you gain 100+ lbs on antidepressants? Are you a doctor? Have you done research on how antidepressants affect fat oxidation and calorie expenditure? If not, you have no idea what you are talking about and therefore, your opinion is meaningless.

Sounds to me like you've found a miracle drug that can cause an increase in fat stores in a body that is not consuming enough calories. This should solve the problem of world hunger. Seriously though, there are millions in Africa who do not have access to enough food to keep them alive. We should just send them a bunch of this magic drug that will cause them to gain weight, that way their bodies will have enough fat stores to keep them energized.

There is no such thing as a medicine that can cause your body to increase its fat stores when it is consuming fewer calories than it is burning during normal activities. Any such medicine would go against every scientific belief on energy, and would definitely have revolutionized the scientific community.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Did you gain 100+ lbs on antidepressants?

No, because I realized at +20 pounds that I needed to put the fork down sooner. As soon as I did that, not only did weight gain stop, it reversed and became weight loss. No miracle or change of medication needed.

Gaining 10-20 pounds can happen by 'mistake' to pretty much anyone - but gaining 100 pounds is a choice. If you need to find external excuses for your situation, have at it - but it's not reasonable to expect other people to buy into the fantasy.

Too bad I was on a strict diet from a dietician and endocrinologist, eating 1200-1300 calories a day, logging religiously, and playing demanding sports. So maybe your weight gain came from stuffing your face, but mine certainly didn't.

"Possible mechanisms include blockade of histamine H1 and serotonin 2C receptors, carbohydrate craving caused by alpha-noradrenergic activity or histamine blockade, changes in the regulation of body fat stores by modulating neurotransmitter systems at the hypothalamic level, and recovery from clinical depression.2,5,9,10."

^The bolded fragment is why I put on 100lbs.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    So maybe your weight gain came from stuffing your face, but mine certainly didn't.

Yes, it did.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    No one is saying some people are more deserving of being fat or are less worthy. We are simply pointing out that some people didn't do this to themselves and that people gain weight for various reasons. When someone is stick-thin their whole life (I was a whopping 97 lbs) and then starts putting on weight when they begin a medication, it is because of the medication. Hell, if I knew antidepressants were going to cause me to gain 111 lbs, I would've never taken them in the first place.

There just seems to be a strange emphasis on distinguishing between a medication-related weight gain (I'm offended, because in my case it was not my fault!) and the types of struggles that SezxyStef wrote about, for example. And lots of people gain weight after being thin because their TDEE decreases. This can be related to medication, definitely, but it can be related to an injury, job issues, getting older, so on. Heck, my mother claimed that she couldn't quit smoking for years because it always caused her to gain weight. (Not saying it's the same thing.)

Again, I don't really see the point of buying into this idea of "fault" or "shame" for being fat anyway. There are reasons, and maybe the answer is unacceptable to you--having to eat super low calorie or give up needed medication certainly seems a bad set of choices--but if someone else is happy making a choice you wouldn't, why does that become blameworthy fatness? I think the point of the first comment (although I kind of think the guess that the "doctor" was House might be right) was that the much more common feeling of powerlessness is not accurate. That's less applicable to someone who has specific medical issues he or she is in the process of examining or working on as someone who just does nothing (or the same unhelpful thing over and over) and complains that she's just unlucky or naturally fat or whatever. I think that person does feel helpless and isn't. And unlike the comments here, I do feel sorry for that person (although I hate being felt sorry for myself, so feel kind of bad about that), since feeling powerless and entirely out of control as to what is happening to you is terrible.

I agree with you.

Fat is always a symptom, never the actutal problem. It's important to recognize what the problem is and take steps to get over it. Cure the problem, cure the symptom.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Just watched a show on TV where this "Doctor" is saying that people are fat because they want to be. That is such BS. I don't know one person, including myself, who wakes up every morning and says...."Hey, I want to stuff my face and be fat, so that people can stare at me, and judge me". Some of these doctors are complete idiots. Being fat is NOT the problem with most people. It's just a symptom of the problem. Many people eat excessively because of emotional issues, depression, loneliness, to find comfort etc. It makes me angry that people are so quick to judge others without knowing their story or walking even a block in their shoes. Hate it!
    I agree that people are quick to judge fat people without knowing a single thing about their situation. Usually they've made up their mind without spending one second to actually find out if it's true.

The worst part of the judgement is the negativity. They've already decided the person is "bad" or "less than" in someway. Whether it's true or not, the fat person wasn't even given a chance to be judged on who they are as a human being.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    So maybe your weight gain came from stuffing your face, but mine certainly didn't.

Yes, it did.

"Possible mechanisms include blockade of histamine H1 and serotonin 2C receptors, carbohydrate craving caused by alpha-noradrenergic activity or histamine blockade, changes in the regulation of body fat stores by modulating neurotransmitter systems at the hypothalamic level, and recovery from clinical depression.2,5,9,10."

^No it didn't.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    This is a topic that's dear to my heart. I spent the better part of my life having Doctors tell me that it was my fault that I was fat. It wasn't until I was 325 lbs, and diabetic that I found a Doctor who said maybe there was another reason for it. I had a lot of test and eventually they found out that I had a tumor on my Pituitary (Cushings Disease). In short no matter how hard I worked at loosing weight (and I did) I would always gain weight as long as I had that tumor. The thing is that no one listened to me because they all said it was that I wasn't trying hard enough, and didn't want it enough. Working out 3 hours a day five days a week, and I gained weight, and it had to be what I was eating. Counting calories, counting fat, and countless weight loss efforts, and it still had to be something I was doing. It's all fine to say there are people who's choice is to be fat, but it's more harmful than you'll ever know when you assume people are doing that. I had the tumor out in 2012 and I dropped a lot of weight going from 325 to 245 in a year. My body is used to being fat now because it began when I was young but accelerated when I got pregnant in 2010. Since no one listened to me until 2012 I'll never know how long the tumor was there, and all because people and Doctors just wanted to dismiss me as Fat by choice. It is far kinder, and more productive not to jump to conclusions, and be supportive. For some people their weight isn't important, and it shouldn't be anyone's business but their own. For the others that are struggling mocking them and or stigmatizing them is not helpful, it's just destructive and spiteful.
    Wow! That is a terrible story.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    I never said the PDF said that. That's from personal experience and knowing others who have gained 100+ lbs from these medications.

Ah, so we're back to anecdotal bull****.

That's physically impossible to occur - if you don't take it in, you can't put it on. Period, full stop.

There is no such thing as a medication that prevents weight loss.

Did you gain 100+ lbs on antidepressants? Are you a doctor? Have you done research on how antidepressants affect fat oxidation and calorie expenditure? If not, you have no idea what you are talking about and therefore, your opinion is meaningless.

Sounds to me like you've found a miracle drug that can cause an increase in fat stores in a body that is not consuming enough calories. This should solve the problem of world hunger. Seriously though, there are millions in Africa who do not have access to enough food to keep them alive. We should just send them a bunch of this magic drug that will cause them to gain weight, that way their bodies will have enough fat stores to keep them energized.

There is no such thing as a medicine that can cause your body to increase its fat stores when it is consuming fewer calories than it is burning during normal activities. Any such medicine would go against every scientific belief on energy, and would definitely have revolutionized the scientific community.

^Proof that what I'm saying isn't bull****. If this doesn't shut you all up, I don't know what will.
  • fangedneko

Yes, it did.

^No it didn't.

Selective reading, quote mining, ignorance of thermodynamics, and ignoring rebuttals and clarifications doesn't change the fact that you were eating at a caloric excess.
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member

Yes, it did.

^No it didn't.

I could see how that could affect your body fat %, but still fail to see how that would force weight gain.... "changes in the regulation of body fat stores" does not mean that body fat stores are created regardless of the amount of energy available to your body. Regardless of what your body want to do to its body fat stores, if there are no excess calories there, it cannot magically create enough energy to make more body fat.

Its like trying to drive a car with no gas, or trying to light a fire with no wood, or trying to create a fat molecule with no calories.
  • FatFreeFrolicking

Yes, it did.

^No it didn't.

Selective reading, quote mining, ignorance of thermodynamics, and ignoring rebuttals and clarifications doesn't change the fact that you were eating at a caloric excess.

And you are trying to argue against research that showed certain antidepressants affect fat oxidation. You look ignorant right now.
  • fangedneko
    You look ignorant right now.
    Your Dunning-Kruger syndrome is duly noted.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    30% of this country today is now considered overweight or obese. That didn't come from medication, some type of tumor, or some unknown disease. It comes from overeating. Our consuming more calories than they're burning.

I get so tired of listening about depression, baby weight gain, this and that. Everyone has issues in their lives. There are hurdles through-out life, that will cause emotional issues. Our parents and grandparents went through the same kinds of things, but they didn't get fat over them.

If people continue to use food as comfort, versus taking it out on a punching bag, this nation will continue to get fatter, and they will get real associated disease--such as type 2 diabetes and their life span will be shorter than their parents and grandparents.
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    what bothers me the most is people that have excuses....I dont have time to exercise, my back hurts. my feet hurt, I have this and that wrong with me...all bs

Eh, wrong. Not all medical issues are BS. Some individuals actually do have exercise limitations and/or are not allowed to exercise all together.

You're so right...medical issues are for real. I'd love to get out there and walk...I've tried, but the pain is even worse. I'm anxiously awaiting a total of 5 shots to assist the pain medication I'm taking. I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'll be totally pain free, but if this cuts it by half, I'll be in business. In the meantime, I'm doing my darndest to control what I eat. Those of you who don't have medical issues at this point are blessed; but believe me, as you grow older, you'll know firsthand what I'm talking about. Enjoy your youthful bodies while you can, and take good care of them. The ravages of time creep up on you sooner than you think!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    what bothers me the most is people that have excuses....I dont have time to exercise, my back hurts. my feet hurt, I have this and that wrong with me...all bs

Eh, wrong. Not all medical issues are BS. Some individuals actually do have exercise limitations and/or are not allowed to exercise all together.

You're so right...medical issues are for real. I'd love to get out there and walk...I've tried, but the pain is even worse. I'm anxiously awaiting a total of 5 shots to assist the pain medication I'm taking. I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'll be totally pain free, but if this cuts it by half, I'll be in business. In the meantime, I'm doing my darndest to control what I eat. Those of you who don't have medical issues at this point are blessed; but believe me, as you grow older, you'll know firsthand what I'm talking about. Enjoy your youthful bodies while you can, and take good care of them. The ravages of time creep up on you sooner than you think!

I hope you get enough relief from the shots that you are able to go out and walk!! Even if it's only for a couple minutes. Something is better than nothing, right?! Best of luck! :smile: :heart:
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    I don't want to be fat. Oh, how I hate being fat. Somedays I can't look in a mirror because of it. Somedays I get anxiety about just leaving the house because of it.
    But I will be the first to admit that I was once full of excuses for being fat: It's in my genes. I have emotional issues stemming from being abused as a child and learned from a very early age that food could comfort me. I work full time and have 2 small children so it's hard to find the time to exercise. And so on and so forth.
    I have finally reached a place where I know now that the excuses listed above are just that: excuses. They are obstacles, yes. They are challenges, yes. But are they insurmountable? NO.
    None of us WANT to be fat. But yes, if you strip it down to bare bones, I am fat because of choices I have made in my life. I see that, I admit that. It can be hard to accept, but I have, and I am grateful that I have. However that doesn't diminish those challenges I face. It doesn't make the journey to being healthy any less difficult for me.
    So basically what I am saying is that I do agree with those who say being fat is a choice. But it still hurts to hear that, even though I know deep down it's true.

Said it better than I ever could. I did this to myself. I'm an adult and I posess full reasoning capacity. Admitting it was my fault, that's when I was able to start changing.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member

Oh goodness, what kind of shots are you taking? I've been through a lot of issues with pain and now get trigger point injections to somewhat assist. They don't last long though.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    I became over weight bc I was suffering from depression. I chose not to work through my problems because being fat was easier than dealing with the truth and the things I had to change. I did this for 10 years. When I decided to work on my depression issues the weight started coming off. I worked hard to get it off but working through my issues at the same time has helped me keep it off. As I kept working on things, I kept losing. Yes people don't generally "want to be fat" BUT ALOT CHOOSE TO BE FAT. I chose to be fat via the way I dealt with problems and turning to food. I will NEVER let things build up in me like I used to, and with that said I will NEVER become fat again for those same reasons. Other than a medical reason or a pregnancy, I feel I wont have to deal with being fat again.
  • AllzahGoddess
    AllzahGoddess Posts: 2 Member
    There is a lot of assuming going on with these replies. Such as the possibility that people are able to attain some kind of help for their depression or obsessive issues or eating disorder. There are a lot of people self medicating with things - some booze, some drugs, some self-harming - others, it's food. Two kinds of people say you want to be fat or choose to be fat: People who have never been fat or people who have lost a lot of weight.

It's narcissistic to assume everybody can do something about it at any given time in their life. I don't believe that is true. Eventually maybe they can, but today they don't want to be fat but also cannot find a way to not be fat.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    There just seems to be a strange emphasis on distinguishing between a medication-related weight gain (I'm offended, because in my case it was not my fault!) and the types of struggles that SezxyStef wrote about, for example. And lots of people gain weight after being thin because their TDEE decreases. This can be related to medication, definitely, but it can be related to an injury, job issues, getting older, so on. Heck, my mother claimed that she couldn't quit smoking for years because it always caused her to gain weight. (Not saying it's the same thing.)

Again, I don't really see the point of buying into this idea of "fault" or "shame" for being fat anyway. There are reasons, and maybe the answer is unacceptable to you--having to eat super low calorie or give up needed medication certainly seems a bad set of choices--but if someone else is happy making a choice you wouldn't, why does that become blameworthy fatness? I think the point of the first comment (although I kind of think the guess that the "doctor" was House might be right) was that the much more common feeling of powerlessness is not accurate. That's less applicable to someone who has specific medical issues he or she is in the process of examining or working on as someone who just does nothing (or the same unhelpful thing over and over) and complains that she's just unlucky or naturally fat or whatever. I think that person does feel helpless and isn't. And unlike the comments here, I do feel sorry for that person (although I hate being felt sorry for myself, so feel kind of bad about that), since feeling powerless and entirely out of control as to what is happening to you is terrible.

I don't know that anyone's blaming the *fatness*, but they're definitely challenging the attitudes that sustain it.

It's genuinely frustrating to see so many people on this thread say in effect 'I was just like you, but I changed my attitude, modified my behaviors, made better choices, and experienced real progress' and then seeing replies in the vein of 'what do you know? You were just lucky, it won't work for me'.